Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
My disaster is complete. it rides smooth and solid! i only test rode it in the lot so far.. but it turned out better than i imagined

the fork situation coulda been better but it is what it is with this non tapered size headtube without spending a few hundred more with that said.. this was an awful investment and i can't stop thinking about all the other bikes i could of got instead but.. now i got it, this one :smug:
i will be experimenting with spd pedals later and of course the seat height

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does the silver stem on a bike where everything else is black bother you at all?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Slavvy posted:

Do they make an actual center stand for bikes that isn't trash? Like one with two legs that flip forward so the bike stands totally upright

They make scissor action ones with two legs that fold to one side, but they mount the same as regular ones that clamp behind the bottom bracket.
You can also get these things but I don't think they're compatible with a derailleur and/or don't look like garbage

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Turmoilx posted:

My disaster is complete. it rides smooth and solid! i only test rode it in the lot so far.. but it turned out better than i imagined

the fork situation coulda been better but it is what it is with this non tapered size headtube without spending a few hundred more with that said.. this was an awful investment and i can't stop thinking about all the other bikes i could of got instead but.. now i got it, this one :smug:
i will be experimenting with spd pedals later and of course the seat height

Why is the saddle so low and the bars so high?

Bikes are designed to have some inches of seatpost showing for comfort, as it’ll flex a bit. If that’s truly the height you need it, the bike is way too big for you.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

Slavvy posted:

Does the silver stem on a bike where everything else is black bother you at all?

on that part i just picked cheap and fast pretty much same goes for the seat, brakes too.. a handful of "let's just get this build rideable for now"

i did raise the seat before i rode it, the bars i don't know why there's so many spacers, i guess for when/if i figure something could be better.
i didn't know bikes are designed with seatpost flex in mind, but ..this bike does have a lot of flex in it slightly concerning but it's all solid i just mean when i put 1 foot on the pedal while standing still putting some weight into the right to left side for example i can see it

took it for a proper test spin only hills here and its good except the brakes actually suck.. in comparison to my only other bike that has top notch hydraulic ones, big difference, hell even rim brakes work easier like these get the job done just not with ease. i don't ride much yet so that's why the stem is flipped i wanted to start with as upright as possible for now

i also spent some time trying to figure out how to clip the shoe to the pedal, with backwards cleats. :allears: do it wrong first then youtube video after, check.

and i did originally have 3 spaces under the stem.. all the extra ones were the bikeshops idea tbf

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 3, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the status of pressfit bottom brackets in TYOOL 2023? I can still hear the creaking of my old BB30 CAAD10 in my nightmares, but some people say Cannondale was especially bad. I'm looking at gravel bikes, and theoretically, a threaded BB makes sense for a bike that is going to be in mud/dirt/etc. Are there less issues with them these days?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Residency Evil posted:

What's the status of pressfit bottom brackets in TYOOL 2023? I can still hear the creaking of my old BB30 CAAD10 in my nightmares, but some people say Cannondale was especially bad. I'm looking at gravel bikes, and theoretically, a threaded BB makes sense for a bike that is going to be in mud/dirt/etc. Are there less issues with them these days?

I've never had any long-term issues with my bikes that have PF BBs, but I also know how to address creaks myself. Aka Loctite 609 works wonders.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I got major creaks on the caad 10 105. I was always pushing huge gears in it and standing on the pedals but still

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A hope screw-together pressfit bottom bracket solved all my creaking woes, I suspect it will outlast every other component on my bike too

Wasn't cheap though

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Heliosicle posted:

Do they detect other bikes too? I can see a use on ebikes/escooters since there's so many fast and silent things about now. I got hit in the side on my ebike the other day when someone tried to overtake me as I turned at a crossing (he then tried to blame me lol).

It has picked up bullshit scooters closing in on me while going over the Manhattan Bridge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Ridiculous attempt at preventing and recovering from knee injury”

At least OP recognizes that it’s a folly.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
My gravel bike has platform pedals, and they're functional, but there's a problem: they're not teal enough.

I'm going to keep this bike equipped with platforms for a while, and when I look at Amazon, I see about a gajillion options from companies I've never heard of. Does anyone have any opinions on any brands of mountain bike pedals that are available in lots of colors? Or is it crazy to put these kinds of pedals on a gravel bike? I might eventually get some SPDs for the bike, but that's not a big priority right now.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Oh good this again.

Anyway Crank Bros and PNW Components are real companies with lightweight platforms and both have a teal color.
If the color matters most you can check BMX sites like Dan's Comp and Albes. They'll be beefier but they'll usually have tons of wild colors

Edit: If you're looking at BMX stuff you do have to watch out for pedals with 1/2" thread. Not super common but they do still make some modern pedals that way. (You want 9/16").

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 5, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tarlibone posted:

My gravel bike has platform pedals, and they're functional, but there's a problem: they're not teal enough.

I'm going to keep this bike equipped with platforms for a while, and when I look at Amazon, I see about a gajillion options from companies I've never heard of. Does anyone have any opinions on any brands of mountain bike pedals that are available in lots of colors?

These MZYRH pedals get my seal of approval.

They’re better than Raceface Chester pedals in that the shaft housing doesn’t make a bump in the middle of them.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 4, 2023

Development
Jun 2, 2016

tarlibone posted:

https://www.sim.works/collections/the-homage-green-ltd-collection/products/taco-pedal-ltd-homage-green

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dog Case posted:

Oh good this again.

Anyway Crank Bros and PNW Components are real companies with lightweight platforms and both have a teal color.
If the color matters most you can check BMX sites like Dan's Comp and Albes. They'll be beefier but they'll usually have tons of wild colors

Edit: If you're looking at BMX stuff you do have to watch out for pedals with 1/2" thread. Not super common but they do still make some modern pedals that way. (You want 5/8").

9/16”

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Every time I see 9/16ths, I am reminded of my first motor vehicle, a 1979 Ford F100. With a handful of 9/16ths wrenches and sockets (3/8ths drive, of course), you could all but totally disassemble that truck. Excuse me while I pour one out for my long-gone but not forgotten buddy.

And in that truck, I could pour one out into the floor, because the floor had rusted through in a few spots.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

tarlibone posted:

I'm going to keep this bike equipped with platforms for a while, and when I look at Amazon, I see about a gajillion options from companies I've never heard of. Does anyone have any opinions on any brands of mountain bike pedals that are available in lots of colors? Or is it crazy to put these kinds of pedals on a gravel bike? I might eventually get some SPDs for the bike, but that's not a big priority right now.

https://www.deitycomponents.com/deftrap_pedals.html
best pedals

The purple ones are on most of my bikes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bianchi celeste blue‐green is the best color for bike components.

This isn’t up for debate.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Platystemon posted:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Platystemon posted:

These MZYRH pedals get my seal of approval.

They’re better than Raceface Chester pedals in that the shaft housing doesn’t make a bump in the middle of them.

Obvious clone of DMR pedals v11. I’d suggest not buying any bike component from Amazon, and not buying Chinese rip-offs with no warranty or support or good bearings.

Platystemon posted:

Yep, really helps with security too, celeste is actually Latin for ‘disgusting unstealable turquoise’

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
gently caress bianchi for canceling all of their good looking affordable frames and only making the current pista available in black on black, like idiots

there should be more Celeste, not less. Other colors are cool too (their Italia blue is nice, as is their red), but Celeste on everything. Mix celeste with other colors. Celeste.

You look at Cinelli and the bikes are all gorgeous art pieces going back like five years, and meanwhile Bianchi is doing poo poo like killing the super pista and making all of their bikes boring.

Anyway I think I wanna buy a CSport in God’s Color and upgrade it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Raceface Chester (pins) or Ride (no pins) come in teal and are fine if you’re basic, and there’s cheaper ($20ish vs $40ish) knockoffs on amazon if you’re extra basic.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Raceface Chester has already significantly added to the scars on the backs of my legs from carrying my wife's bike down the cellar stairs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I reran the cable housings on my celeste‐accented bike in boring black shortly before realizing that Jagwire makes cable housing and hydraulic lines in celeste. :negative:

wooger posted:

Obvious clone of DMR pedals v11.

Thanks. This is good to know.

Let me know if you if come across any obvious clones of Oneup composite pedals in size small.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

best pedals

I have these in mint, and they're great.

Need matching bar tape and stem cap now.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Oops that's right. Brain bad

Edit: I'd be able to remember it better if we called it 14.3mm, like bars and seatposts

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 5, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Anyone have a good source for watching old cycling races/stages? I know people have thrown around GCN here: is that the way to go?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Anyone have a good source for watching old cycling races/stages? I know people have thrown around GCN here: is that the way to go?

GCN+ has a ton of races but I’m not sure how far back it goes, the app is only showing me races in 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dog Case posted:

Oops that's right. Brain bad

Edit: I'd be able to remember it better if we called it 14.3mm, like bars and seatposts

Just the other day I learned that 31.8mm is actually 31.75 :negative:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
So, I was ordering some cold weather stuff from Amazon because my current setup is a Sponeed outfit that, while functional, is tacky. I let my wife pick it, and she rarely misses, but it reminds me of Code Zero clothes from back in the early 1990s: it's got the look of some real high-dollar duds, but it's loudly emblazoned with the logos and wordmarks of a discount brand that's only sold at one store. It's the Ozark Trail of Amazon, basically.

I prefer solid colors and fun designs, so I went with Baleaf, who I highly recommend if anyone is looking for budget cycling gear. Yes, there's a lot of stuff that's much better, but at the price point, it's hard to beat Baleaf.

And while I was ordering stuff...

... it's coming together.

in a well actually posted:

Raceface Chester (pins) or Ride (no pins) come in teal and are fine if you’re basic, and there’s cheaper ($20ish vs $40ish) knockoffs on amazon if you’re extra basic.

Honestly, those look perfectly fine. I'm basic as hell. I'm not extra-basic, though, but mainly because that would involve being extra and basic, and I generally try to be just one of those at any given time.

On Amazon, I found two listings for these pedals with price points $15 apart. And that's weird.

Hypnolobster posted:

best pedals

Those are also pretty neat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kimbo305 posted:

Bars of diameter “22.2 mm” are actually 22.225 mm, or ⅞″.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bicycles are covered in trash measurements for trash people, we know this

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

Technically it's 31.7499 so it shouldn't even be rounded up, if you want to get really perturbed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bicievino posted:

Technically it's 31.7499 so it shouldn't even be rounded up, if you want to get really perturbed.

The inch has been defined as 2.54 cm since the nineteen thirties. So, one and a quarter of them are precisely 31.75 mm. And before the definition was pegged to SI, the inch was ever so slightly larger, not smaller.

31.7499 only results from handling floating point numbers inaccurately.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I just went to buy a replacement seatpost for my partner's stolen NCX. The shop's gauge said get a 30.4, the previous post was 30.9 and fit perfectly, and a different brand's 31.0 is what I bought and *also* fits perfectly. gently caress everybody.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Everybody itt learning about clearance dimensions…

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I really like my OneUp composite pedals, but I have 0 experience with other quality pedals to compare. They're purple enough for me, and they also sell turquoise. Feel free to derail the thread on turquoise vs teal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tylertfb posted:

What is that? When sometimes the listed dimension is larger and sometimes smaller than the actual (or target) dimension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tylertfb posted:

Systematic incompetence and a near-total lack of standards is not clearance dimensions, op