Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Adding onto that other post, I think the problem is not that no Rays front office guy is capable of functioning outside the org, I think the problem is that owners either think “Rays exec + large payroll = rings” or “Rays exec + no payroll = postseason every year” without, like, the player development system or scouting to go along with it to keep the 90-win seasons and fleecing trades coming. The second was a bigger issue before the wild card expanded again but since you can limp into the postseason easier than ever, eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He did lead all LF in assists in 2023

I haven't run the correlations or w/e but I'm pretty sure outfield assists are still the driving metric behind outfield gold gloves.
What I'd like to find out is how many assists were direct throws vs throwing the ball and it results in an out via a cutoff throw.

I guess he'll have to play LF, again, next year when Juan Soto is the DH. So, hopefully, his fielding takes a step back in the right direction.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 6, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hitting the cutoff man in the right position for him to turn and throw quickly is a skill too

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

Wait Happ won again lmao

lol I figured there was no way he would win and posted before LF was announced. lmao

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Guards are going with Stephen Vogt as Francona’s replacement.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1721558939970715929

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1721541693483442179

Benji Gil is the flavor of the week.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/BushLeague101/status/1721566400186323233

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

That window and classroom is now blessed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is the new market inefficiency former MLB players who have never coached at all?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is the new market inefficiency former MLB players who have never coached at all?

It's not new.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hey, Stephen Vogt was the Mariners' bullpen coach for one year after retiring. He's ready.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I remember Benji Gil coming up in 1993 heralded as a huge prospect and franchise savior. I want to say I was even at his debut game or at least one very shortly after. What a massive bust he turned out to be.

Edit: Also massive lol that I am now getting SPRING TRAINING PRESALE emails from the Rangers. Who the gently caress buys Spring Training tickets in November?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It sure seems like way more ex players are finalists this year than in the past, but that may just be my bad memory

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Guardians hire Stephen Vogt as manager

Felt like he was an all star recently, but that was actually 8 years ago. :corsair:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

It sure seems like way more ex players are finalists this year than in the past, but that may just be my bad memory

Counsell was hirerd with no coaching experience a while ago, and he was part of the trend with guys like Robin Ventura.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1721569726567190823

Feels like The Decision.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm tired of seeing his dumb child face in the NL Central. GET HIM OUTTA HERE!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I can't imagine a scenario in which he'd be willing to deal with the Mets. Like, every owner/front office is probably a pain in the rear end, but an owner who will trash you to the press?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's so the FO can tell him exactly what to do and get no pushback.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Including the part where it was obvious all along where he would go

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Stephen Vogt named manager in Cleveland.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Including the part where it was obvious all along where he would go

Back to Milwaukee?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol no. To the Mets.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It'd be very Mets for them to blow it. And after the Giants signed their obvious pick in like 48 hours, I wonder if the Mets are blowing it.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

mcmagic posted:

This is a team that gave Myles Straw 462 AB (OPS+ of 69) this year and let Cam Gallagher rack up -1.0 WAR in 56 games.

I’m 100% okay with the FO having more influence in regards to who plays. Tito had his guys, and by god they were going to play no matter how dogshit they were.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Eric the Mauve posted:

lol no. To the Mets.

But if Counsell does the smart thing and stays in Milwaukee, will Steve lose his poo poo on Twitter

https://twitter.com/StevenACohen2/status/1463505594887852032

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

yes retired baseball players are notoriously flexible and not stubborn at all, you are very perceptive

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Reportedly the Mets are hiring Carlos Mendoza

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Can't wait for the Mets' "Actually, we always wanted Mendoza" spin.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1721590822720966998

This is like a soap opera.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Someone's getting fired and they don't know it yet

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In general I find the “Manager X is just a front office puppet” an extremely stupid and obnoxious complaint.

Baseball Managers are middle managers. They serve at the pleasure of their boss. They are expected to communicate the team’s player development vision to players and manage personalities. This is no different from any other middle management position. If they ignore their boss or consistently go against their boss’s directives then they’re not going to last long in their job.

But there’s a large contingent of fans who seem to think it’s still 1910 and John McGraw is out there making roster moves and scouting talent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

live with fruit posted:

Can't wait for the Mets' "Actually, we always wanted Mendoza" spin.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1721590822720966998

This is like a soap opera.

YANKEES!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Gotta say I'm not feeling great about Stephen Vogt as the new manager but we'll see, I guess. Given he only had one year as a bullpen coach for the Ms I'm not... optimistic and would have liked someone with a bit more experience. But, oh well.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Counsell is coming to Chicago. It’s the funniest possibility.

EDIt: I was just joking but it’s true.

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1721595011270365220?s=46&t=OxNS0oQRTXMDiN4qEfSnlQ

:lmao:

DeepDickPizza fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 6, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

YANKEES!?!?!?!?!?!?!

If only

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DeepDickPizza posted:

Counsell is coming to Chicago. It’s the funniest possibility.
White Sox

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
gently caress yeaaaah

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mcmagic posted:

YANKEES!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Unironically my first thought

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Makes sense with all the talk about wanting to watch his kids play high school football or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What the hell? Did not see that coming.