Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Olewithmilk posted:

new-ish games that I would be able to run

• Rhythm Doctor, a one-button rhythm game in the vein of Rhythm Heaven
  • Pizza Tower is a very good platformer obsessively heavily inspired by Wario Land with fun movement and a bonkers soundtrack
  • The Wadjet Eye point and click games are pretty good! I liked Unawoved and Resonance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Olewithmilk posted:

Hi all, posted the below in the Steam thread because I am stupid but was pointed here:

I am a sick man, and by 'relax' I do mean sometimes get really hella mad at a difficult RPG or read pages of incredibly dense lore contained within a game that looks like my uncle coded it in the 70s. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Ah, I recommented Nox Archaist there, but now that you detail the request, Serpent in the Staglands is right this way. I strongly strongly recommend that you:
1. Read the Manual
2. Read Erlein's Handbook (found on the author's website: https://whalenoughtstudios.com/serpent-in-the-staglands-store/) which is kind of an in-world lorebook with some critical lore exposition and tips such as some of the magic words you may want to use often.

It sits at a glorious and well deserved Mixed review rating, because it's unabashedly old-school to the point of being pretty obtuse at times, yet has its own interesting world flavour and alternative skills. It's exceptionally brutal at low level too, as each mob can kill you, and mobs spawn in group. This wouldn't be an issue in itself, but add that you can't efficiently savescum through it because if at least one mob from a group was still alive when you saved, all mobs from the group will respawn on load :troll:. And at the time you saved, you were probably no longer in kite distance but slightly closer, and therefore previously dead mobs spawn on you with no option to pull them one by one. Oh, did I mention there's no rez? If a companion dies, they're dead. That's it. So you kinda want/need to savescum, but carefully and never mid-group-fight.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 6, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's time for an evergreen question: what are the best games to play while listening to podcasts?

Here's what I have already:

In general:

- any diablolike works once I get a build up and running.
- repetitive vehicle sims that let me do a task (i.e. deliveries)
- casual puzzles that aren't hard (jigsaw puzzles, picross, sudoku)

are great and I know most of these.

But - am I missing anything? What do you play while chillin' and listening to podcasts?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PowerWash Simulator and Dorfromantik, two of my favorite "do a task but not using too many brain cells about it" games

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's time for an evergreen question: what are the best games to play while listening to podcasts?

In general:

But - am I missing anything? What do you play while chillin' and listening to podcasts?

The Sealed Ampule doesn't require much thought and only gets more and more optimized in its dungeon crawling.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

someone awful. posted:

PowerWash Simulator and Dorfromantik, two of my favorite "do a task but not using too many brain cells about it" games

I still haven't picked up Dorf, thank you! I have PowerWash already, is it time to play it? Hmm.

fez_machine posted:

The Sealed Ampule doesn't require much thought and only gets more and more optimized in its dungeon crawling.

29+ hours in that, I fuckin' love that game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I like to boot up a GTA game and go cruising on the highway or try to find rad racing lines through alleys and shortcuts

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I quite enjoy watching TV shows and listening to podcasts with Risk of Rain 2. I guess it falls under the diablolike "once you know what works, you can run it on autopilot".

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

StrixNebulosa posted:

In general:

Vampire Survivors

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

I like to boot up a GTA game and go cruising on the highway or try to find rad racing lines through alleys and shortcuts

If I could get San Andreas on PC I would, but I just haven't gelled with any of the 'modern' GTAs...

SkeletonHero posted:

Vampire Survivors

As much as I enjoy that game it is an assault on the senses and sadly not chill for me.

Risk of Rain 2 is further up the wishlist now, thanks!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Luck be a Landlord might be a worthy addition to your list. It's a, uh, slot-machine deckbuilder. Spin, choose a symbol to add, spin again, etc. And every few spins, use the money to pay your rent or get evicted. :shepspends:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I could get San Andreas on PC I would, but I just haven't gelled with any of the 'modern' GTAs...

I get it, San Andreas was the best for this. Too bad the remaster was crap :(

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

In general:

i've found satisfactory to be pretty good for this (embrace the spaghetti). also deep rock galactic at low hazard levels to just clean out assignments or w/e is pretty chill for a podcast. creeper world 4 has been good, and also empires of the undergrowth i've used for these purposes a fair amount

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have PowerWash already, is it time to play it? Hmm.

If you end up enjoying it, then Viscera Cleanup Detail is also a must

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

StrixNebulosa posted:

In general:

If you're down for work/job games like Eurotruck, maybe go for Hardspace Shipbreaker? I'll admit there are some missions where they will bother you with story audio, but most of the missions are just you silently in space cutting away with your laser tools, and you can fill the void with your own tunes and podcasts. Could even mute the story audio, perhaps: I've never tested the audio settings, but I bet you can do it.

Other nice work/job games might be Viscera Cleanup Detail, Powerwash Simulator, Cooking Simulator, and Elite Dangerous. If you want Diablo-likes, consider Last Epoch, Chronicon, Torchlight 2, Slormancer, and maybe Wolcen?

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
Jagged Alliance 3 or turn based tactics / squad management games?

Hoping for something colorful too, maybe less gritty?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Thanks all for the recomendations for my lovely laptop. I shall investigate them all, especially the Serpent in the Staglands!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think for November everyone should play the goty of 2023, sleeping dogs

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010

ilmucche posted:

i should finish SD this year for sure.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What do you play while chillin' and listening to podcasts?
No Man's Sky
Helium Rain
Astrox Imperium
Minecraft
Endless Sky
Mario Golf Advance
Knytt Stories

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Slay the Spire is great for podcasts because the game just kinda waits around if you get distracted, and the presentation is ambient and unassuming enough that I don't feel the need to turn down the volume to pay attention to something else.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

doctorfrog posted:

No Man's Sky
Helium Rain
Astrox Imperium
Minecraft
Endless Sky
Mario Golf Advance
Knytt Stories

You might like this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/846030/V_Rings_of_Saturn/

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

StrixNebulosa posted:

For this, you can't go wrong with Jigsaw Puzzles Infinite. Not only does it come with a huge number of puzzles with the $5.99 upsell (the basic game is free, and is pretty featurefull without paying) and the free DLC, but you can turn any image you have into a puzzle.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

In general:

EndlessATC is my go to podcast game

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

ilmucche posted:

Wei Shen is this close to a homonym for "dangerous" in Chinese-Mandarin

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is also an anagram for "he wenis"

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Hwurmp posted:

it is also an anagram for "he wenis"

Well, yeh, that's how you get the zodiac statues to show up on the mini-map

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
I have trouble recapturing some of the multiplayer fun i had in games like:

- Wow mass pvp in 2005. Constant 24/7 100vs100 in between tarren mills and Southshore before BGs were patched in June 2005

(Ive played turtle pvp recently and its a long climb to 60 just for a glimmer of hope these things will happen again, because BGs are in from day1)

- Dayz's epoch pvp

Base building, the adrenaline surge of running away with someone's loot and see if you make it to your base. Was super bummed that all the population was drained from the modded servers for the shitshow that was Dayz.

- Minecraft pvp

Yes for a while it was good. Some custom servers where you could raid other peoples bases, within some constraints.

- Eve online mass pvp

Was fun but i couldnt take all the work that led to these short bursts of fun.

--------------------------

Basically some fun mass pvp games with some permanence, some progress you can make besides getting better at it, like what the reward for classical FPS was. A good mix of survival and/or rpg and pvp

DOTA2 is the only thing that still does it for me, that i go back to, but its missing some of the permanence from WoW and survival games. Sorry if thats kind of vague, maybe someone will know what i mean.

Oh i bought Dark and darker and actually played that alot for a week, but very limited in content and dropped it off to not get burned before they add more content.

Things i tried and bounced off:

- Hunt showdown
- Most MMO emulators, with warhammer return of reckoning being the closest to what im looking for, but still bounced off
- Conan exiles (played for a while but only one server runs some fun mods i want without the cringe sexual RP but it has fuckin mechs so it ruins the vibe for me)
- Fortnite
- Call of duty the big battle royale one

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.
Planetside 2?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Olewithmilk posted:

Hi all, posted the below in the Steam thread because I am stupid but was pointed here:

I am a sick man, and by 'relax' I do mean sometimes get really hella mad at a difficult RPG or read pages of incredibly dense lore contained within a game that looks like my uncle coded it in the 70s. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

It feels too obvious but just in case you've somehow missed it, Caves of Qud?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Getoutnow posted:

Planetside 2?

Is that active somewhere? I thought it died.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Neat, this one wasn't on my radar lidar. Looks like my kinda thing, thanks!

e: I bought it and it's worth at least the five bucks and 10-20 hours I'm probably gonna put into it.

There's a free demo of the full game, only difference is that saving is disabled.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 12, 2023

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Honestly, I don't know. I haven't played it in years.

OMG JC
Jul 30, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

In general:

Slice & Dice

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Planetside 2 is still active and on Steam.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

are there any populated team based pvp multiplayer games on pc that aren't either fps games or league/dota/hots (im fine with mobas in general). i know of smite (if it still exists), which i guess i might try even though it didnt hook me the last time. i just miss queuing up for match making and getting shouted at by 5 strangers (it doesnt have to be 5 it could be more or less)

Kevin Bacon fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 11, 2023

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Aster0ids posted:

Basically some fun mass pvp games with some permanence, some progress you can make besides getting better at it, like what the reward for classical FPS was. A good mix of survival and/or rpg and pvp

have you tried foxhole? top down shooter fictional ww1/ww2 large scale pvp game. the players are the commanders, the soldiers, the logistics and the production line. every weapon or piece of equipment in the battle was made and hauled by players, from gathering the resources, hauling them to the factories, to crating them up and driving them out to the forward bases, which are also all built by players. from barbwire to large trench networks, bunker bases and large artillery guns.

its not exactly what you are looking for? but it does have some of that permanence you want, even though the war is "reset" after one side wins, this typically takes dozens of days or more if i recall correctly.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just discovered Vampire Survivors. I really missed the bus on this one. It's a fantastic travel game, and I think it would also be a great way to unwind after a hard day of work. I want to keep Vampire Survivors for travel though. So what are some VS-like games that are on PC and support co-op?

I've already played and enjoyed both
Disfigure (free but no co-op)
Yet Another Zombie Survivors (fun but only ~10 hours of content. Not as good as the VS but much nicer graphics)

I'll also accept ARPG recommendations, but we've already played most of them
Victor Vran (my favorite from the past decade. The way skills are tied to weapons and builds are tied to cards which you can easily swap in and out makes it really easy to switch to different builds every level and keeps the game fresh. Decent story too.)
All the Diablos
Grim Dawn (fine except for the levels where you aren't allowed to teleport out to sell loot)
Lost Ark (I regret this one.)
PoE (I liked it but it's too finicky for the person I usually play these games with)
Both Vermintides (way more fun than I expected. Well worth the purchase)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

I just discovered Vampire Survivors. I really missed the bus on this one. It's a fantastic travel game, and I think it would also be a great way to unwind after a hard day of work. I want to keep Vampire Survivors for travel though. So what are some VS-like games that are on PC and support co-op?

I've already played and enjoyed both
Disfigure (free but no co-op)
Yet Another Zombie Survivors (fun but only ~10 hours of content. Not as good as the VS but much nicer graphics)

I'll also accept ARPG recommendations, but we've already played most of them
Victor Vran (my favorite from the past decade. The way skills are tied to weapons and builds are tied to cards which you can easily swap in and out makes it really easy to switch to different builds every level and keeps the game fresh. Decent story too.)
All the Diablos
Grim Dawn (fine except for the levels where you aren't allowed to teleport out to sell loot)
Lost Ark (I regret this one.)
PoE (I liked it but it's too finicky for the person I usually play these games with)
Both Vermintides (way more fun than I expected. Well worth the purchase)

10tons has made a whole bunch of top-down shooters with co-op; Crimsonland is the most like Vampire Survivors but there's also Neon Chrome, Jydge, or maybe Tesla vs. Lovecraft.

If you liked Vermintide, check out Deep Rock Galactic.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for a good "Crusader Kings" type experience where I can rule a medieval (or fantasy ideally) court and do political intrigue w/ characters and stuff, that can run on a mid power laptop.