Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

Can someone clarify me

Did Wake's murder stories in the Dark Place happen in the real world because he wrote them while trying to escape? Did all 3 murders actually happen because of it?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

veni veni veni posted:

Is it better to play one character and then the other or should I be switching regularly for any reason?

It's really more like 3 Alan's for every Saga

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

site posted:

hey you know what's a great idea? not having a single manual save for the last 2 hours of the game

also here's where saga clipped through the ground in the (i hope) final area and i decided to quit

yeah the save system is really bad for a game that's still prone to crashing and glitching.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it would be fine if it wasn't arbiraily limited to 3 slots. There's reasons games like this usually give you a ton of save slots.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

site posted:

hey you know what's a great idea? not having a single manual save for the last 2 hours of the game

also here's where saga clipped through the ground in the (i hope) final area and i decided to quit

This is the exact area I kept falling through the floor and having to reload. Open the door into the hallway and wait about a minute before going down the stairs and you should be able to get through it.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
There is a real place called Cauldron Lake, Kattilajärvi in the same city Remedy is based in. There is even a campground there. It is somewhat neat Bodom Lake, a place where a notorius, unsolved axe massacre took place.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Casimir Radon posted:

Some plot points should have been moved to mandatory dialogue. I spent a bunch of the game thinking that the Dark Presence changing reality was the reason Tim Breaker was sheriff instead of Sarah. I guess they’re actually cousins and she joined the FBI. Makes me think it was only mentioned in idle dialogue, and Saga doesn’t spend much time with him before he gets dragged off to the Dark Place.

Whoa whoa whoa, are we sure Sarah didn't actually get recruited by the FBC? Tim says she joined the feds but he doesn't specify which agency or department. Maybe she'll pop up in Control 2!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Is there any point going back to the Nursing Home before the point of no return?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

That's messed up, wow

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

WaltherFeng posted:

That's messed up, wow

Alex Casey hates murder cults!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah Alan is basically being forced to play with some of the people in Bright Falls as chess pieces who need to be sacrificed sometimes. He still needs to play within the confines of a horror story and so some people are gonna get murdered/twisted into monsters.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I somehow played 5 hours of Alan Wake 2 in almost one seating which hasn’t happened in a long time for me. Very resident evily which I like.

I have a feeling that combat will get boring pretty quick if it’s just normal weapons with bullets. But I didn’t love AW1’s combat either and still consider it to be one of my all-time favourites.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The combat remains pretty limited but later on you do unlock some more fun weapons for Alan and Saga.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Totally hosed up the FBC handcuffs unarmed nerd Alan Wake for the crime of "possibly doing magic"

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Its lame that Alan fewer weapons and he doesnt even get his shotgun till halfway his story. He also gets like what 2 enemy types to fight both which are much more annoying than cultists you fight in as Saga.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Totally hosed up the FBC handcuffs unarmed nerd Alan Wake for the crime of "possibly doing magic"

yeah they probably should have exploded him on the spot

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was kind of disappointed when the FBC showed up in modern clothes, equipment, and flying helicopters instead of using the WWI-ish era stuff you see most of their security staff wearing in the Oldest House. I know that's only because of the weird iconography rules in the House but still. I also only just finished the part where they show up and take Wake so don't quote this with a spoiler block if that does show up later.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

exquisite tea posted:

The combat remains pretty limited but later on you do unlock some more fun weapons for Alan and Saga.

Eh, it’s fine. Will probably switch to eat at some point then.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I kind of suspect the New Game+ might bring in some weapons that are more along the lines of stuff from American Nightmare.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That would be dope. The SMG from the game was great. I would also like to see one or maybe two more enemies per encounter. My dream would be if ngp restored the random ambushes of Taken from the first game to the woods.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The patch should add textures to enemies in the Dark Place.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I really enjoyed this game, it makes me want to replay Control. Remedy just killing it with the atmosphere in their games. Looking forward to the new game plus mode and next year's DLC(s?)

My biggest annoyance with the combat was being stuck in the animation to reload the flashlight after using your last boost, stopping you from shooting right after boosting.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Casimir Radon posted:

I kind of suspect the New Game+ might bring in some weapons that are more along the lines of stuff from American Nightmare.

gimme the nail gun

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Just finished, what a loving game man

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

https://twitter.com/Murdoink/status/1721557883496612162?t=ivhETE2xjHnsIlRjP95KBA&s=19

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

lmao

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

is it too late to get this in next year's DLC?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lmfao

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CLARPUS posted:

I really enjoyed this game, it makes me want to replay Control. Remedy just killing it with the atmosphere in their games.

I had the same thought, I was getting all excited to play Control whenever I finish this off. Then I remembered, wait....this thing pulled me away from Spiders-Man, I've still gotta go back and play that. Too many good games going on! :negative:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

:five:

Also I'm late here, but I just finished the game last night. Does the Sheriff's white board mentioning a red-haired woman refer to Jesse Faden or am I overthinking things and forgot someone else that fits?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Also I'm late here, but I just finished the game last night. Does the Sheriff's white board mentioning a red-haired woman refer to Jesse Faden or am I overthinking things and forgot someone else that fits?

I assumed so but I haven't played Quantum Break so it might be referring to a character in that?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I assumed so but I haven't played Quantum Break so it might be referring to a character in that?

no, it’s definitely jesse and Polaris (though her actress is also breaker’s wife or something in QB which I’m sure is part of the gag). he keeps referencing polyhedrons as well

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Revitalized posted:

Short answer is yes. Longer answer involves Easter Egg/multiversal references to Quantum Break.

Tim Breaker could be an alternate universe version of the protagonist of Quantum Break - Jack Joyce (both characters are played by Shawn Ashmore.) And in Quantum Break, Jack Joyce's closest ally is an alternate version of Jesse Faden - Beth Wilder (both characters are played by Courtney Hope). And in that game one of the antagonists is a character named Martin Hatch who gets powers that are very similar to those of Warlin Door.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Should I play Quantum Break?

I started like 30 minutes of it and then decided I didn't like the Xbox and ended up selling it before I could play any further. I see it's on Steam now.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Revitalized posted:

I started like 30 minutes of it and then decided I didn't like the Xbox and ended up selling it before I could play any further. I see it's on Steam now.

It's kinda cool, Lance Reddick is always fun to watch

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
12 hours in and Alake Wake 2 is still really just a misfire for me. If I put it on Easy, I'm left playing what is basically a visual novel, and it's uncompelling and loses all tension. If I put it on Normal I die in the very next fight against a couple random enemies. It should be a GOTY, and everything about the game is "right", the Remedy team hasn't lost a beat, this is exactly the game they make, and the game I want. But I just can't seem to play it?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Short answer is yes. Longer answer involves Easter Egg/multiversal references to Quantum Break.

Tim Breaker could be an alternate universe version of the protagonist of Quantum Break - Jack Joyce (both characters are played by Shawn Ashmore.) And in Quantum Break, Jack Joyce's closest ally is an alternate version of Jesse Faden - Beth Wilder (both characters are played by Courtney Hope). And in that game one of the antagonists is a character named Martin Hatch who gets powers that are very similar to those of Warlin Door.

i didnt know his first name is Warlin. huh what does a W upside down look like

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Revitalized posted:

I think it's worth playing just to experience Remedy's back catalog. I buzzed through it in March and it was like a 10 hour game that wasn't particularly memorable, but it scratched the itch for a linear 3rd person game.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jack B Nimble posted:

12 hours in and Alake Wake 2 is still really just a misfire for me. If I put it on Easy, I'm left playing what is basically a visual novel, and it's uncompelling and loses all tension. If I put it on Normal I die in the very next fight against a couple random enemies. It should be a GOTY, and everything about the game is "right", the Remedy team hasn't lost a beat, this is exactly the game they make, and the game I want. But I just can't seem to play it?

The dodge mechanic is quite strict in my experience. I wish they made it a bit more lenient so I get the danger of the enemies while being in control of the fight.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but did I see Casper Darling from Control on a TV briefly? Like, I feel like I saw him maybe 2 or 3 times, with the last one I remember being inside the Hotel. There's a room you can enter and the TV plays for a little bit. He doesn't say anything but he's like fiddling with something off screen, looks at the camera, and then the TV turns off.

iirc in Control, he ends up being taken to another plane of existence or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Jack B Nimble posted:

But I just can't seem to play it?

I've finished Alan Wake 2 and I think honestly that yes combat should just be removed entirely. It feels like the crafting stuff in Control at this point. Something to do just to have something to do. Why have these loot boxes around if you don't need loot to churn through. Changing the flashlight back from american nightmare back to Alan Wake 1 is also a baffling step back. By the end half, I'd just run by all the enemies. Combat just felt like "Why am I doing this? What purpose does this fulfill except wasting time." I am never excited to shoot more zombies, or a wolf, or a cultist or something.