Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

EvilBeard posted:

Got it unmasked, trunk and hood on, and back home in the garage. Found a small run by a headlight I'll have to sand and buff, but it's pretty clean. Just a few small nibs.

StormDrain posted:

Looks great!

Agreed.

chrisgt posted:

Story in 3 pictures

Little block:

no blobk:

b1gm blokc:

Heck yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Finally got back to working on the suby after a weekend off and a really annoying work day that left me with no time on monday.

Diagnosis confirmed. The "permanently sealed" throw out bearing has become un-sealed, released its grease and is on its way from "noisy" to "seizing".

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I pulled the fuel rail off to flip it 180 degrees and one of the injector cap things decided to try and become engine confetti. Fortunately my fishing trip was successful

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What a world we live in where this is a thing that is cheap and readily available. Imagine the tapestry of obscenities that would get woven if you dropped that there even a decade ago.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Took like a month cuz I got the wrong bushings in, but I did the upper control arm bushings, front upper and lower ball joints, pitman arm, and steering idler. I also did the xfer case oil, front and back limited slip oil, and engine oil.

dang

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Motronic posted:

What a world we live in where this is a thing that is cheap and readily available. Imagine the tapestry of obscenities that would get woven if you dropped that there even a decade ago.

nah it would sound a lot like this "welp it's only plastic, it'll be fine" **engine go brrrr**

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

nah it would sound a lot like this "welp it's only plastic, it'll be fine" **engine go brrrr**

I forgot who I was responding to. My fault :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Good new, clutch is done. Bad news, I had to pull the bottom of the struts to get the axles out because there was no way the ball joint were coming out without destroying them, so I had to align it. I drove it to the shop to use their alignment rack and by the time I put it up the right axle seal was leaking. Shop towels of shame on the floor.

Fortunately they didn't have any other alignments today so I was able to just order parts and fix it there.

Next up.......and sorry for taking a picture of the screen of my scanner I don't have anything set up to export screen caps right now. But there's no way this is just a bad downstream O2 sensor is it. I just couldn't be that lucky. (downstream sensor is the top graph......I've never seen anything switch that fast if the car wasn't trashed)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I installed some cover king neoprene seat covers in my new to me truck with 285K miles on it.

The only thing I don't like is the cover on the middle console/jump seat back. I'm probably going to go get either a grey or black piece of vinyl for that, but it's a bit too loose and bulky and the door doesn't shut well when the cover is on. It's not installed in the below picture.
I also replaced the driver's side seat foam. I kind of ruined the factory covers even moreso then they already were, so I'm glad these worked out as well as they did.

Old: (Driver's side taken before I swapped out the jump seat back.)

New

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's one hell of a transformation and makes the whole interior look better.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Are those covers just for looks or are they more comfortable in some way?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

There is a little bit of an extra cushion but mostly for looks.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
What started as a broken brake line leading to the rear axle has lead to a full replacement of all the lines leading to the rear because the line fittings all rusted to one another, new brake hoses, new lines on the axle, and new wheel cylinders, shoes and drums because I managed to break off a bleeder that rust welded itself into the cylinder.

Don't buy cars from the Northeast, kids. It's never worth it.

Edit: First time having to drill out the shoe hold down pins too because the star wheel adjuster froze when the prior owner decided that nah, you don't need to put that rubber plug in.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I will definitely never buy cars from the bottom of the ocean. Jesus.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I will definitely never buy cars from the bottom of the ocean. Jesus.

christ, same. my chevelle had been sitting in a field for like a decade, then i pulled the drums off and threw them in the dirt next to the house for a few years, and i bet they look way better than those. that's insane.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Salt, salt never changes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Accurate.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It changes iron.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have replaced the two main dash lights in my Saab 900. From factory it had 3W T10 style bulbs, pretty weak IMO but using 5W ones generates too much heat. So I am trying out leds. The T10s from ali express worked a treat.

One of the smaller T5s has been replaced as well (next to the battery icon) but it was a real PITA to get it out of the lamp holder, broke the bulb getting it out. The new T5 led bulb wouldn't work in the old holder either, not sure if I destroyed the holder getting the broken lamp out. Fixed it by soldering on some wires to the led and then soldering to the bulb holder. Hope that won't be required for all of them.

I found one T5 bulb to replace near the fan setting and it seems that one bulb illuminates all three controls. Haven't figured out how to change the bulb inside the buttons or for the seatbelt light yet. Nor the main lightswitch control to the left.

e: inside!

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 30, 2023

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Almost have the rear done.have to install the trunk gasket and the taillights. The new ones didn't come with back up bulb housings.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Beautiful

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have replaced the two main dash lights in my Saab 900. From factory it had 3W T10 style bulbs, pretty weak IMO but using 5W ones generates too much heat. So I am trying out leds. The T10s from ali express worked a treat.

One of the smaller T5s has been replaced as well (next to the battery icon) but it was a real PITA to get it out of the lamp holder, broke the bulb getting it out. The new T5 led bulb wouldn't work in the old holder either, not sure if I destroyed the holder getting the broken lamp out. Fixed it by soldering on some wires to the led and then soldering to the bulb holder. Hope that won't be required for all of them.

I got similar led T5s in the 99s gauge and they heat up more than the bulbs. Installed them in chain so they only use 6v and are much cooler now.

3d printed and installed gaskets for the 99s carb and rubber grommets(?) for the vacuum hose.

Printed on the left and original on the right. Whole bottom part had disappeared

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Kosmos posted:

I got similar led T5s in the 99s gauge and they heat up more than the bulbs.

I'm honestly not sure how that's possible, unless they're an order of magnitude brighter or something.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Replaced the door check in the Vibe for the....fourth? fifth? time. I've lost count.

I get about a year or two max out of each. Almost any time I let the door swing open without catching it it's a 50/50 shot it'll snap on me.

At least they're cheap and easy to replace. Got another out of a wrecked Prius, they seem to last longer than the aftermarket ones.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Why are the doors on the Bronco rattling so goddamned much? I can't hear all the other rattles over the sound of the doors when blasting down dirt roads.

Oh. Two trips to O'Reilly's later (one to get the bushings, and one to get a T50 impact bit when I realized I had not even close to a torx bit that size).

Very satisfying.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

This reminds me of my family’s 1989 Bronco. Well done.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Darchangel posted:

I'm honestly not sure how that's possible, unless they're an order of magnitude brighter or something.

They are much brighter.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

New wheels and tires for the F150 from Tire rack.
Old

New

I'm not huge on the gatorade looking logo, but they were cheap and look nice and it's an old work truck with 285K on it so who cares.

So far with this truck i've:
Removed the company name from the door
Replaced the steering wheel
New Keys
New head unit and speakers
Replaced the jump seat back with one that has storage
Replaced a couple of air conditioning vents
Seat covers
Replaced license plate lights (the amazon package on the back of the truck)
Replaced reverse lights
Installed tonneau cover
significant detail clean of the interior.
I also ordered new headlight bulbs, those will likely be the last thing I need to do to the truck until it needs something mechanical.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 1, 2023

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Truer words have never been spoken.

That said, even iron oxide is no match for the mighty parts cannon.

My bloodied fingers and knuckles are no match for the mightier drum brake, however. I haven't dealt with one of these in years, and I finally remember why I reviled them so much. It's like a puzzle that can only efficiently go together one way, and by the time you've finished and mastered it, you only have the other side of the axle to do before it gets memory holed. Then you get the joy of relearning it all over again in 30,000 miles. :v:

I'll be yanking the axle out of a Pathfinder with the 33-spline axles and disc brakes real soon only to have to deal with the parking brake drums instead, I guess.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

opengl posted:

Replaced the door check in the Vibe for the....fourth? fifth? time. I've lost count.

I get about a year or two max out of each. Almost any time I let the door swing open without catching it it's a 50/50 shot it'll snap on me.

At least they're cheap and easy to replace. Got another out of a wrecked Prius, they seem to last longer than the aftermarket ones.

I've been meaning to replace a check on the Matrix for... uh... 5 1/2 years now. I have one from a similar year Corolla, just never got around to it. If it had power windows I would have done it ages ago, but it has crank windows and I don't really have anything to pull the retaining clip easily.. and of course everything is loving riveted, since the doors have never been apart for anything except an exterior door handle replacement. It didn't snap; instead it yanked out of the door holder. It was shoved back in, but if you even look at it funny, it pops back out.

SO's out of town for a couple of weeks, I should probably take care of that. If I can find the replacement check :downsgun: (I think I know what shelf it's on.. or maybe it's in the glove box)

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I learned how to read check engine light codes for an OBD1 on the Camry. Who knew a paperclip could be so useful? It's a code 52, which for the Camry is communication to the knock sensor. Filled it with premium and I'm not gonna mess with it until it becomes a problem.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Night Danger Moose posted:

I learned how to read check engine light codes for an OBD1 on the Camry. Who knew a paperclip could be so useful? It's a code 52, which for the Camry is communication to the knock sensor. Filled it with premium and I'm not gonna mess with it until it becomes a problem.

That's...not really how it works. The sensor is probably dead and defaulting to "all knock all the time" and fully retarding timing. Premium is just going to cost more. Just replace it IMO and it'll feel much better. Or the same because it's a Camry. :v: Just don't bother with the gas.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

That's...not really how it works. The sensor is probably dead and defaulting to "all knock all the time" and fully retarding timing. Premium is just going to cost more. Just replace it IMO and it'll feel much better. Or the same because it's a Camry. :v: Just don't bother with the gas.

Yeah, this. It's in a default strategy and has pulled timing. It's going to run like poo poo and burn more fuel and start fouling plugs, the O2 sensor and the cat. It needs to be replaced. A reasonable quality replacement can be had for under $90.

E: it's like 15 minutes of book time to change. 27 mm socket and one plug. Would be a pain from the ground but absolutely no problem at a shop.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 5, 2023

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
went offroading with it this weekend!

this trail doesn't look like much, and technically it's a long-rear end driveway to some fairly remote property, but it was a challenge! one slightly wrong tire placement and i smack the headers or oil pan into the ground. i'll have to measure its minimum clearance, but i think it's around 2" (bottom of headers to ground).

near the top of the hill where this photo was taken, the path is still fairly well maintained, but further down it's got tons of ruts and washouts from water runoff. hell, even on the maintained (gravel) highway this connects to, i scraped once or twice when i wasn't careful.

i really need to fix my jeep so i stop doing poo poo like this to my car, lmao

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Raluek posted:

this trail doesn't look like much, and technically it's a long-rear end driveway to some fairly remote property, but it was a challenge! one slightly wrong tire placement and i smack the headers or oil pan into the ground. i'll have to measure its minimum clearance, but i think it's around 2" (bottom of headers to ground).

near the top of the hill where this photo was taken, the path is still fairly well maintained, but further down it's got tons of ruts and washouts from water runoff. hell, even on the maintained (gravel) highway this connects to, i scraped once or twice when i wasn't careful.

:perfect: Alternatively you could get a little more ground clearance and some meaty tires

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Suburban Dad posted:

It really depends on the car.

On N/A Nissans, when they detect a dead knock sensor, they run perfectly fine and just store a code (the CEL doesn't even turn on). Throw a $25 eBay sensor in and they wind up pulling timing so hard that you can't even hit 65 (on a car that can normally do 120), but the code goes away. Drop $500 on an OEM and it works fine. When I tried the cheap sensor, I wound up just unplugging the drat thing after a couple of miles. It didn't throw a CEL, just stored P1325, passed OBD2 smog fine, had plenty of power with it unplugged. The only reason I even knew the original knock sensor was bad is it spat out P1325 when I checked for codes. No light, ran fine otherwise.

I would still replace it if OP can get an OEM sensor, but cars don't always pull all the timing once the knock sensor fails. Knock sensors are something you should always go full OEM on too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

randomidiot posted:

It really depends on the car.

Yes, and the topic is an OBD1 Camry, which does exactly this with code 52 set:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

:perfect: Alternatively you could get a little more ground clearance and some meaty tires

That's what I was going to say. A vintage Baja 1000-style Javelin would be sweet.
Wouldn't mind doing something similar to the '71 Cutlass parts car I have. It's got some accident damage, and now missing body parts, so...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Raluek posted:

That's a good pic of a drat fine looking car. It looks right at home there.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Darchangel posted:

That's what I was going to say. A vintage Baja 1000-style Javelin would be sweet.
Wouldn't mind doing something similar to the '71 Cutlass parts car I have. It's got some accident damage, and now missing body parts, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pretty!!

I've taken every car I've owned into the desert at some point, no regerts (despite what Blackstone said...). One of the biggest joys in my life is hauling massive rear end down dirt roads.