Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/jessicastraker/status/1721179272839073911?t=clckGqVA6UzRm0lCsCzbqw&s=19

:hmmyes:

You're all doing the same with your poo poo MPs right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Afzal Khan is my MP as of a few days ago and I’m very happy to say he’s already calling for a ceasefire and seems to have been pretty good on Palestine generally from what I can tell. Anyone know anything particularly interesting about the guy?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jakabite posted:

Afzal Khan is my MP as of a few days ago and I’m very happy to say he’s already calling for a ceasefire and seems to have been pretty good on Palestine generally from what I can tell. Anyone know anything particularly interesting about the guy?

Not far from me then, he was my MP before I moved last year. All I recall about him was him grilling some tory about something on TV once and it satisfied me at the time.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am calling for a fireworks ceasefire.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

arrested for anti-semtex

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Jippa posted:

I am calling for a fireworks ceasefire.
I think we should have a 55 day humanitarian pause on fireworks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have launched a war on fireworks. I have been killing fireworks indiscriminately through a bombing campaign and yet no-one can tell the loving difference.

War crimes work the same way in Israel.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm mostly bitter about fireworks because as a child my parents made me watch the firework show at Disney EPCOT for an hour instead of doing something good like going on rides, and I threw a rare strop. After that I would happily poke sticks in the bonfire but fireworks were dead to me.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I was on site last night so when they started letting fireworks off I took it as a celebration for the track we had just installed. Once again Britain runs on rails!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you use those thermite track welders I guess every section is its own celebration.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

There was a few welds going on now you mention it. We should have broken out the dets, put them on track and have the machines run over them for the loudest bang.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I think we should have a 55 day humanitarian pause on fireworks.
I was wondering how to parse 'humanitarian' but for dogs, and now I'm just thinking about Dogtanian and the Three Muskahounds again.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I feel better already for deleting Twitter. You can spend your social media time perfectly well on here lolling at absolute idiots. Lolling at Trump in Court, Musk and his AI , and Ape Enjoyers blinding themselves all on website simultaneously. What more do you need ?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

I feel better already for deleting Twitter. You can spend your social media time perfectly well on here lolling at absolute idiots. Lolling at Trump in Court, Musk and his AI , and Ape Enjoyers blinding themselves all on website simultaneously. What more do you need ?

I don't think I've been on any social media since 2017. Can't say I miss it, getting a curated list on here is more than enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have not used a social medium and I hope that i will outlive them without doing so.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
social medium should be the horoscopes page in the morning star, like the cookery page is commie chef

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

smellmycheese posted:

It's not all about lolling though. Thing is you find out more on there than other places.
I literally sat down & sobbed last night for about half an hour over some of the horrendous scenes coming out of Gaza that FB blocks & probes accounts, and other media won't show.
And as we've seen on SA there's a limit to what is allowed in the I/P thread.

But yeah I had to time out myself from there a few times especially recently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that doesn't super sound like it's improving your life very much...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Literally just deleted my Facebook app for the umpteenth time because I was getting so annoyed at all the poppy Christmas bullshit around my village, and the accompanying fash messaging circling around it. Then getting drawn into arguments with local racists which will go round in circles forever and I'll never win...

I know I'll eventually reinstall it out of boredom / wanting to look someone up / needing to buy or sell something on market place. God drat it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's not all about lolling though. Thing is you find out more on there than other places.
I literally sat down & sobbed last night for about half an hour over some of the horrendous scenes coming out of Gaza that FB blocks & probes accounts, and other media won't show.
And as we've seen on SA there's a limit to what is allowed in the I/P thread.

But yeah I had to time out myself from there a few times especially recently.

That’s one of the reasons I ditched it. The Israel situation has melted my brain. I just can’t handle the insanity of it all

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I use Facebook for the local lost cats group - someone in there grabbed Custard both times he went missing, otherwise I'm in a group chat with some friends that hasn't had a post for months and nothing else.

Deleted Twitter when Musk reinstated and paid the user who posted CSAM images - what gets posted in here is enough to keep a rough idea of what's on X: The Everything App now.
Not having that open in the background has improved my mental health, although I do wonder what awfulness the TERFs are coming up with now.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Not sure if anyone will know, but is there a law or something against businesses using public car parks as their personal company car park?

The nursery we use used to be a church once upon a time and the parking area behind it is kinda clearly linked to the building.

It's not owned by the nursery though so it's just regular free parking.

Problem is that it's small (maybe about 15 spaces) and a good half of them seem to be taken up by the same company vehicles or locals who leave their cars there for days at a time.

One company specifically has 2 large vans and a car that's dumped there almost every day.

It makes using the nursery a nightmare because you've no idea if you'll get a space or not.

It's doubly frustrating because there's a much larger car park that you have to drive through to even get to the one next to the nursery, which is also free (it's the parking for a GPs clinic).

The only reason I can think of that they use the nursery car park is because it's more secluded area.

I've used that bigger car park when I haven't been able to get a spot, but you have to go through a weird one way system to navigate back to it and getting an unwilling toddler into nursery doesn't get easier the further away you get from it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
finally binning twitter a few weeks back was like ditching facebook a few years ago, absolutely great for my MH and I absolutely recommend it

need to go back and properly kill the facebook account so scammers stop trying to reactivate it but that's effort and I would probably have to have a quick peek at all those people I left behind only to get a reminder of why it was so good for me to get away in the first place

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm old, I miss facebook when it was people, before it was all groups and pages and ads and bullshit. I remember when it launched for universities and I managed to trick my way in by having a .edu work email, it was great for keeping in touch with people when they left and seeing what they were up to.

But now it's just shite. Even if you don't follow any groups or pages, it recommends any that your friends are following.

The thing that makes me laugh is when you see something you don't want to see, the most you can do apparently is snooze it for 30 days. Nice surprise when it pops up again next month.

Still, it is infinitely better than twitter.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that doesn't super sound like it's improving your life very much...

Friends with family in Gaza so kind of closer to it maybe than a lot of people.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I liked Twitter before Space Karen paywalled Tweetdeck. I would keep a bunch of curated feed columns open for retro gaming, cute animal GIFs and local news. Never saw any promoted tweets or a timeline full of poo poo from people I didn't follow.

Being forced to use the default Twitter UI has killed my engagement with the site. It's always been objectively awful, but with the blue tick opinion havers getting promoted constantly (especially over the past few weeks) I'm going to delete my account this evening.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i am also trying to cut down twitter intake - i've logged out of it on my browser so only check it on my phone which i suppose isn't much better, but baby steps. it's hard to disconnect from something which has been the nexus of a lot of social interaction and news over the years

but tweetdeck WAS good (improved by bettertweetdeck) before they hosed it, and some enterprising nerds are always trying to bring it back, god bless them

https://github.com/dimdenGD/OldTweetDeck

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Best thing Musk ever did was limit non-users from seeing the replies to Twitter posts. Now I never get the urge to touch the poop and reply to any of that shite.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I liked Twitter before Space Karen paywalled Tweetdeck. I would keep a bunch of curated feed columns open for retro gaming, cute animal GIFs and local news. Never saw any promoted tweets or a timeline full of poo poo from people I didn't follow.

Being forced to use the default Twitter UI has killed my engagement with the site. It's always been objectively awful, but with the blue tick opinion havers getting promoted constantly (especially over the past few weeks) I'm going to delete my account this evening.

Yeah, back when Twitter was just a chronological microblogging site I found it both fun and useful - real-word friends, professional contacts, internet friends, newsfeeds, hobby/interest feeds, GIFs of seals being stupid. Then as the algorithm was gradually introduced (and it began showing you tweets that people you followed liked or pushing content it thought you would like) I was able to use dashboards to curate it and keep the algorithm at bay. I stopped using it very shorty after the Musk takeover when it began more aggressively pushing simply irrelevant (never mind the deeply stupid and/or reactionary) content, and I deleted entirely when Musk made an active, proudly-stated decision that posting CSAM on his site wasn't a problem.

I stopped using facebook years ago but I've just had to get a new account in order to be made admin for a work page that I'm now responsible for. It is so full of utter, ruinous bullshit - adverts, recommendations, pages, groups, reels and so on.

Algorithmic feeds are aptly named - they don't work or exist to help you find content that you want. Their purpose is to feed you content that the site wants you to see.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

BalloonFish posted:

pushing content it thought you would like

I don't think it's about content you might like but about content you will interact with - good or bad. I did realize some time ago that the reason their "for you" dishes up so much fash crap is because I can't stop myself commenting. I'm trying to gradually mute them but with limited success so far, always another fash to show me!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I don't need to see images of terrorised children, destruction and dead bodies to know that Israel is an evil fascist apartheid state commiting genocide. There is literally nothing I can do about it other than protest a parliamentary system that doesn't care. Seeing the carnage on Twitter isn't going to help my mental health any.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Twitter sounds like an evaporating lake that's just a lot of mud puddles full of panicked, writhing fish, trying for that last gulp of water that is no longer there.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Elon should do a podcast. He's a bit misunderstood and I think it would help to win people over to him a bit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I just wonder how bad twitter has to get before we start acknowledging that linking to it is just signal boosting the worst people in the world.

I turned off twitter embeds, but it just means half the thread is more often than not a blue link with no context. And the poster is only doing it like "look at this oval office" and then retweeting the most horrifying bigotry in existence.

I don't want to read Lee Anderson tweets, otherwise I would happily replicate the experience by mashing my face into a blender full of poo poo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I have mixed feelings about tweets posted in the thread.

At the very least though, posts of "look at this oval office" tweets should be reserved for actual notable people, not Steve937735895 from the pub

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But that Steve's a oval office!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NGL the Lonely Island bit of randomly calling Andy Samberg's character Steve a oval office is still one of my favourite gags of theirs.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tweets should be screenshots and hosted off of twitter, especially the 'look at this oval office' ones because they inevitably get deleted.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trip down memory lane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt2OVAgkHBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVdca9U9LM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qFrY4VcbMU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i wish tweetman was here