Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Possibly blinded by being in a DINK household of middle-aged online shoppers.

I just don't think that FNF has the cultural cache to carry a movie in the same way that Mario or Sonic does. $200 million means a huge amount of people who don't play the games went to see it.

I'd wager a good amount of kids dragged their parents in with them, since like I said, even though it's easily something a 9-year-old would be able to handle, the movie's still PG-13. That and it's a Blumhouse horror movie released around Halloween, so you're gonna get a good chunk of "tis the season" impulse buys at the box office.

I was wondering why Disney released the new Haunted Mansion movie earlier in the summer rather than wait until Halloween, but now it's fairly obvious they had low confidence in it and didn't want Freddie to completely eat their lunch. Parents can only handle one iffy-quality kid-friendly horror movie in a short period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

What kind of nerd rear end 15-year olds is Will Stancil hanging out with?

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1721608678476759290

i know it's not the point, but my first thought is this kid isn't going to be voting in a presidential election till 2028

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
stop browsing Twitter all day looking for excuses to get mad at kids these days

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I'd wager a good amount of kids dragged their parents in with them, since like I said, even though it's easily something a 9-year-old would be able to handle, the movie's still PG-13. That and it's a Blumhouse horror movie released around Halloween, so you're gonna get a good chunk of "tis the season" impulse buys at the box office.

I was wondering why Disney released the new Haunted Mansion movie earlier in the summer rather than wait until Halloween, but now it's fairly obvious they had low confidence in it and didn't want Freddie to completely eat their lunch. Parents can only handle one iffy-quality kid-friendly horror movie in a short period of time.

Disney releasing a movie based around the Haunted Mansion was such a weird decision.

Then, I learned that they are making a movie based around Space Mountain and remembered that they already released movies based on Tomorrowland and Jungle Cruise, so someone at the Disney creative office is clearly committed to the bit and willing to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to finish out the gag.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 6, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Main Paineframe posted:

it's our god given right as old people!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm looking for excuses to laugh at Will Stancil.

I don't need any excuses to get at kids these days. Just look at how all the music is bad now and the state they left my lawn!

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Disney release a movie based around the Haunted Mansion was such a weird decision.

Then, I learned that they are making a movie based around Space Mountain and remembered that they already released movies based on Tomorrowland and Jungle Cruise, so someone at the Disney creative office is clearly committed to the bit and willing to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to finish out the gag.

Listen, the success of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise means that the people yearn for multi-movie franchises based on Disney world rides, please ignore every single attempt at doing this we've done since then, those don't count.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Possibly blinded by being in a DINK household of middle-aged online shoppers.

I just don't think that FNF has the cultural cachet to carry a movie in the same way that Mario or Sonic does. $200 million means a huge amount of people who don't play the games went to see it.

Kids have two parents at least one of which they will have dragged along. Also people can see a movie more than once.
As the mother of a kid was both traumatized and fascinated by fnaf back in the day, yes, it’s that popular and has been for a decade. Not Minecraft popular but it’s up there and has gone through about ten years of grade schoolers.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Do you think that the discovery of salt as a delicious rock precipitated a surge in rock eating fatalities?

Also, it is kind of weird that there is just one rock that humans coat their food in and eat. Statistically, if there is one, you'd think there would be more delicious rocks.

tasting minerals was a part of studying them for ages. still is as long as you know what to avoid tbh.

phosphoric acid is the first one that comes to mind. you drink that i guess but you know what i mean.

there's a few salts besides NaCl that are edible, and minerals that are a physical mix of salt and some other edible mineral, usually sulfur compounds. saltpeter, himalayan black salt (even though it tastes like a fart smells), etc.

lead acetate used to be known as "lead sugar" and used to be used as a sweetener. in ancient rome, it was used indirectly, by boiling acidic foods in a lead vessel. (not as much as people say.) later it was made by dissolving white lead in vinegar but by that point it was known to be a deadly poison, so it was mainly used as a cheap (and generally illegal) adulterant or, well, a deadly poison.

chalk and gypsum are edible and are sometimes used as filler. not especially tasty but good for a stomachache i guess. and people have used lye and limewater for various kinds of food prep and sometimes those are made from minerals rather than kiln ashes.

Disney releasing a movie based around the Haunted Mansion was such a weird decision.

it's a remake. the first one had eddie murphy and a bunch of british actors. the only other thing i can remember about it other than that it was boring is "oh poo poo that's wallace shawn"

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 6, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i know it's not the point, but my first thought is this kid isn't going to be voting in a presidential election till 2028

rafts of 16 year olds aren't voting for brandon!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

tasting minerals was a part of studying them for ages. still is as long as you know what to avoid tbh.

phosphoric acid is the first one that comes to mind. you drink that i guess but you know what i mean.

there's a few salts besides NaCl that are edible, and minerals that are a physical mix of salt and some other edible mineral, usually sulfur compounds. saltpeter, himalayan black salt (even though it tastes like a fart smells), etc.

Ammonium chloride is delicious, but most of the world seems to disagree :smith:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's our god given right as old people!

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
My girlfriend wanted to go see five nights at Freddie's. I'd never heard of if and didn't realize it was based on a video game, and for children.

It was bad.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The other day my gf watched a video suggesting that fnaf’s success signals that video game movies are finally going to be good

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Main Paineframe posted:

i'll stop looking at twitter, only look at x now

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

I get mad seeing kids hit concrete and get up effortlessly, I’m 100% on team thiel. Find the secret to adrenochrome sir.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pirate Radar posted:

The other day my gf watched a video suggesting that fnaf’s success signals that video game movies are finally going to be good

Video game movies have been good since the first Mortal Kombat

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

poo poo, they gave fnaf to literally blumhouse?

They hurl stuff right past "so bad its good" into actually just being tedious

Red Letter Media will have a field day though

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

In every Blumhouse horror movie there is a pinpoint-able moment where the writers go "Eh gently caress it, they're gonna sit through the rest of this regardless". Sometimes it can get away with doing that, but not often.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

I get mad seeing kids hit concrete and get up effortlessly, I’m 100% on team thiel. Find the secret to adrenochrome sir.

it rules that all adrenochrome does is give you temporary paranoid schizophrenia

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i wish masayoshi son would give some of that sweet softbank money to me, i'd waste it ten times more efficiently than the rest of his picks

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i wish masayoshi son would give some of that sweet softbank money to me, i'd waste it ten times more efficiently than the rest of his picks

You have to cultivate an air of being a huge dbag

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i already post here, how more online dbag can i get?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Continuing to post on SA is like being a once-proud, but slightly pathetic elderly beast in the pack. Once, long ago, you were important and unavoidable. But now, since you don't actively start beef with 15-year-olds on instagram stories or follow Just Chatting drama channels, you cannot be cognizant of the true threats around you, and will be the first to go in the event of any widespread overt struggle.

Crunch Buttsteak fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 7, 2023

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Continuing to post on SA is like being a once-proud, but slightly pathetic elderly beast in the pack. Once, long ago, you were important and unavoidable. But now, since you don't actively start beef with 15-year-olds on instagram stories or follow Just Chatting drama channels, you cannot be cognizant of the true threats around you, and will be the first to go in the event of any widespread overt struggle.

gently caress you!!!

wait, i'm sorry, you're not bolt vanderhuge GIVE ME MY MONEY BITwait, no, that's roll fizzlebeef fucks sake i can never keep you all straight

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Professor Beetus posted:

Video game movies have been good since the first Mortal Kombat

I was going to disagree but it turns out Double Dragon came out a year before MK.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The (only in my opinion) Super Mario Brothers movie owns.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Some friends and I got drunk and watched the 90s super Mario bros movie and it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be based on its reputation. I might just be old but I miss the days when bad movies still needed physical set design and props and everything. These days you see a bad movie and the actors are in a CGI mud pit or crappy screensaver or whatever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Super Mario Brothers movie is where they canonically decided that their names were Mario Mario and Luigi Mario.

It had Dennis Hopper in a wild wig and prosthetics.

Homer Simpson narrates the movie.

It featured dinosaur strippers with rocket boots.

It had Johnny Legs playing Luigi.

loving Fisher Stevens plays a mentally handicapped turtle man who becomes Flowers of Algernon'd into a genius and has an existential crisis.

The lady from Fern Gully plays a sexy ball of fungus.

They recorded original songs for it.

They have an extended scene where a very masculine woman in 8-inch spiked heels jams BAFTA Award-winning actor Bob Hoskins' face into her cleavage while chanting "Everybody stop and roar, let's all do the dinosaur."

The Goombas were monstrous and an important plot point of the movie involves Mario sexually pleasing a wall of fungus.

Bowser comes to the real world with a devolution gun that turns people into monkeys.

10/10. No notes. Great movie.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

The fact that Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo were apparently plastered for most of the filming only adds to the experience.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bob Hoskins' depression and hatred for that movie for killing his career and causing him to get dropped from Shakespeare productions is a little sad, but also amazingly funny.

quote:

“I didn’t even know it was a game,” he said. “It was my kids that told me. They said, ‘What’s your next film’, and I said ‘Super Mario Bros.’ ‘Oh, that’s the game.'” Hoskins had no idea what his kids were going on about, so they showed him the video game. “And I saw this thing jumping up and down,” he said, “and I thought [sobering, Chris Pine-style pause], I used to play King Lear.”

quote:

Making Super Mario Bros. was a “fuckin’ nightmare.”

“All these rewrites get frustrating so I don’t do too much research,” says Hoskins grimly, while waiting all morning for the directors to decide the shot. “The trick is: Don’t take the job too seriously, turn up and do your day’s work. That’s all."

“The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! Fuckin’ nightmare. Fuckin’ idiots.”

quote:

In 2011, Hoskins participated in a Q&A interview with the Guardian. When the actor was asked to name the worst job he ever agreed to, he replied, “Super Mario Brothers.”

What has been your biggest disappointment?

“Super Mario Brothers.”

If you could edit your past, what would you change?

“I wouldn’t do Super Mario Brothers.”

quote:

Hoskins and John Leguizamo, who played Luigi, would get drunk between takes, “a habit that may have contributed to Hoskins breaking a finger during a driving stunt,” the Guardian theorized. He also told Entertainment Tonight that “if you’re going to survive this film, you’re going to have to be very, very careful… I got stabbed four times. Electrocuted. Broke a finger. Nearly got drowned. And that’s just what happened to me.”

quote:

I stopped getting calls for BAFTA and Oscar roles. They would just say, "Oh, it's the Mario guy. He used to be a big deal."

With nominations and/or wins from almost every awards body you think of, it’s not too surprising that Hoskins would prefer if the memory of this film were removed from history.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone my wife knows:

- Was arrested for DUI while standing around at a gas station.

- Blew a 0.0 on the breathalyzer.

- They thought he must have been on drugs and arrested him to take a blood test.

- The blood test came back clean and they dropped the charges.

Apparently, someone else at the gas station called the cops on him because they thought he was drunk and about to drive away. He says he was "just filling up my car and cursing a lot because I was mad at my boss."

I really want to see how erratic you have to be while standing there filling up your car for someone to call the police on you because they are afraid you're about to DUI and several witnesses/the cop are convinced that you are on something despite blowing a 0.0 and having a clean blood test.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There is important information you are leaving out needed to answer that question: Is he a minority?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There is important information you are leaving out needed to answer that question: Is he a minority?

Nope.

White guy in 40's.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Extremely unhinged and visibility extremely agitated.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

and the last piece of my steve crowder manchurian candidate theory clicks into place

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Extremely unhinged and visibility extremely agitated.

Yeah, but how?

I'm trying to picture a situation where you can be so unhinged standing still and filling up your car that multiple people think you are on drugs/drunk and call the cops.

Maybe I am just desensitized to crazy people because I have seen multiple people poop on a commuter train and then just hang out, but I can't imagine what someone who is completely sober could be doing while also standing still that would cause me to be so concerned that someone called the cops.

He is probably downplaying how he was "just cursing," but still pretty wild. I have seen many a DUI case, but getting a DUI while 100% sober in every way and standing around at a gas station is a new one for me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maoder with Crowder

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Enough stress will do it Leon. Anybody can get that way with enough chronic severe stress brought to a head by an acute event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also bear in mind that gas station attendants probably just have a hair trigger on someone who could potentially be a danger and call the cops to be safe.

And the cops don't care if you're not breaking law This Is America.