Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The sack-scramble drill-delay of game sequence is a top tier Daking

Reviewing :flag:s would be a disaster but good god there has to be something to check the refs

There's a lot of parallels that can be drawn to the American political world, they tried it with reviewing pass interference calls and the refs defiantly told the plebes to go gently caress themselves and upheld every single call no matter what because they are the ones in power and we will make sure you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:rip: Danny Dimes

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
How about the next play:

Lets start with the play design, straight out of 2012 Patriots playbook with two illegal rub concepts, and the first read on a rookie tight end instead of your all pro slot reciever.

Then you have your right guard not picking up the blitzer and instead helping to triple-team the poor nose guard, while Pollard sits back in protection watching some hot chick int he crowd or something.

Olsen mentioned this on the broadcast as well: Furgeson is suppose to get vertical and Clear Out (meaning "illegally run into") the safety, opening the lane for shoemaker. The QB has a scary-looking DE about to tear him in half in .30 seconds, so he has to throw to the first read, and also becase the free-runner is right in the passing lane to the 2nd read (cooks).

When furgeson whiffs his (not a) block here, the safety can run free to schoenmaker, for the tackle.

Schoenmaker also runs his slant short of the goal line for No Reason, And that's church.

- If Furgeson runs his route correctly, Dak passes to Schoenmaker for a TD
- If Schoenmaker runs his route correctly, its a Touchdown
- If Martin picks up the rusher, Dak can go to his second read and passes to Cooks for a TD
- If Pollard picks up the rusher, Dak can go to his second read and passes to Cooks for a TD

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

blarzgh posted:

How about the next play:

Lets start with the play design, straight out of 2012 Patriots playbook with two illegal rub concepts, and the first read on a rookie tight end instead of your all pro slot reciever.

Then you have your right guard not picking up the blitzer and instead helping to triple-team the poor nose guard, while Pollard sits back in protection watching some hot chick int he crowd or something.

Olsen mentioned this on the broadcast as well: Furgeson is suppose to get vertical and Clear Out (meaning "illegally run into") the safety, opening the lane for shoemaker. The QB has a scary-looking DE about to tear him in half in .30 seconds, so he has to throw to the first read, and also becase the free-runner is right in the passing lane to the 2nd read (cooks).

When furgeson whiffs his (not a) block here, the safety can run free to schoenmaker, for the tackle.

Schoenmaker also runs his slant short of the goal line for No Reason, And that's church.

- If Martin picks up the rusher, Dak can go to his second read and passes to Cooks for a TD
- If Pollard picks up the rusher, Dak can go to his second read and passes to Cooks for a TD

Dak cannot fail. Dak can only be failed

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Doltos posted:

Five years of this. Five miserable years that would have trashed any other QB in the league but for some reason Daniel Jones has a bigger leash than any QB in NFL history. We gave him 35 mil guaranteed. What an utter disaster.
I was gonna point out that you guys are definitely in the running for the Caleb Williams sweepstakes, but oh yeah you already paid Jones, lmao.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Blazrgh, all you did was post two examples of dak failing to adjust protection pre snap and recognizing the hot read.

You'd be a terrible defense lawyer.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I was gonna point out that you guys are definitely in the running for the Caleb Williams sweepstakes, but oh yeah you already paid Jones, lmao.

I mean, having Jones paid doesn't mean they won't or shouldn't get a QB next year and dump Jones before 2025 (still eat some dead cap, but not a crazy amount).

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Dak played a good game but the foot out of bounds was boneheaded. Schoonmaker td or dak inbounds means a Dallas win. It was an entertaining game and very close 🤷‍♂️ way better than the 49ers humiliation that made it look like the season was over

Eagles have a good record but so many ugly, ground out games. I wonder if they can get into the playoffs relatively healthy

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Asproigerosis posted:

Blazrgh, all you did was post two examples of dak failing to adjust protection pre snap and recognizing the hot read.

You'd be a terrible defense lawyer.

In the first clip every blocker has their man picked up, Steele just got beat, and Tyron lost contain. On the second clip, they obviously had the protection on, which is why there was a blocker available to pick up the blitzer. Schottenheimer runs a zone blocking scheme, not man, so the blitzer is Martin's responsibility there.

And if I was a defense lawyer, I'd have you struck for cause because you're obviously incapable of being impartial or following the Judge's instructions.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uC0WQTeGgU

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I can't really hear what's being said in the clip, but having been to many eagles games, I'm sure I've heard it before

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I can't really hear what's being said in the clip, but having been to many eagles games, I'm sure I've heard it before

just eagles fans being smart and classy

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/1721575113844232439?t=5aSIpS2wGJbF-Qn8Tb9F4A&s=19

How Dare Dak let him do that

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

poo poo like that is why I don’t go to NFL games live, doesn’t matter what team is playing or where you are. Hockey is so much better live, at least in DC.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

blarzgh posted:

just eagles fans being smart and classy

I'm an eagles fan, but I live in delco now and the people here are the loving worst. I just don't talk about football besides ending conversations "go birds" for fear of saying the wrong thing and being, at minimum, verbally assaulted for 20 minutes by some rear end in a top hat

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

I never understand how the Cowboys seem to routinely let a weak backup tackle get bullied all game long. I'll never forget Adrian Clayborn's six sack game against Chaz Green.

I get Steele is a starter and Green wasn't, but Steele probably shouldn't be a starter.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
stepping out of bounds is 100% on Dak and the only completely indefensible thing he did yesterday, but it was really, laughably stupid. taking both sacks instead of throwing it away is a really poor decision that's 100% on him; I'd be fine with excusing the first sack because he'd been under heavy pressure and was trying to make something happen. but both times, I can't really back him up on. like I said, he's been under pressure the whole drive; after the first sack he has to be aware enough to get rid of the ball

I've been a Dakfender (Dak defender) from the overzealous attacks on him for years now, even when I wasn't a Cowboys fan, and I still think he's solidly a top 10 QB. but it's clear now that his ceiling is Very Good. great QBs just don't make game losing plays on bad decisions as regularly as Dak does. sure he can be great in individual games, especially regular season games against less well coached defenses, but he's never been and never will be an MVP contender. he just trips over his own dick too often

the Cowboys could very clearly win a superbowl on his back if the team had even a slight value-add at OC/HC, but alas, we do not

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

NattyBo posted:

I really think we’ve found the guy. I’d rather build up the line and get him a bunch of weapons than keep looking.

new ownership is going to clean house and new coach/GM will trade him for a 7th round pick because they want to draft and develop their own guy

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Hockey is so much better live, at least in DC.

Can confirm this is the case in dallas too.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Asproigerosis posted:

There's a lot of parallels that can be drawn to the American political world, they tried it with reviewing pass interference calls and the refs defiantly told the plebes to go gently caress themselves and upheld every single call no matter what because they are the ones in power and we will make sure you know.

This take is weird because all reviews are determined in New York precisely to avoid this happening.

It’s just that the PI rules are written so broadly that almost any contact can be called:

quote:

It is pass interference by either team when any act by a player more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders an eligible player’s opportunity to catch the ball.

Acts that are pass interference include, but are not limited to:

Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch;

Playing through the back of an opponent in an attempt to make a play on the ball;

Grabbing an opponent’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass;

Extending an arm across the body of an opponent, thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, and regardless of whether the player committing such act is playing the ball;

Cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball;

Hooking an opponent in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the opponent’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving; or

Initiating contact with an opponent by shoving or pushing off, thus creating separation.

Note: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note: “significant” and “incidental” are completely arbitrary terms. Almost any contact can be said to hinder the receivers’ ability to catch the ball; that’s usually the point. It makes it impossible to overturn a call on the field unless there is literally no contact at all.

There was a slightly better rate of challenging non-calls, but again—how do you determine what is incidental? And when in doubt, the ruling on the field is supposed to stand.

They really need to rewrite the PI and RTP rules entirely.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Vengarr posted:

This take is weird because all reviews are determined in New York precisely to avoid this happening.

It’s just that the PI rules are written so broadly that almost any contact can be called:

Note: “significant” and “incidental” are completely arbitrary terms. Almost any contact can be said to hinder the receivers’ ability to catch the ball; that’s usually the point. It makes it impossible to overturn a call on the field unless there is literally no contact at all.

There was a slightly better rate of challenging non-calls, but again—how do you determine what is incidental? And when in doubt, the ruling on the field is supposed to stand.

They really need to rewrite the PI and RTP rules entirely.

The guy in charge of the PI reviews was former ref Al Riveron, who famously hated that PI was reviewable and he totally had his thumb on the scale

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

The guy in charge of the PI reviews was former ref Al Riveron, who famously hated that PI was reviewable and he totally had his thumb on the scale

Yeah, it's like saying all the third party neurologists are totally independent and making decisions solely for the health and safety of the players during concussion exams.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

I didn’t know that. I still maintain the rules are poorly written and overly broad, but it may well be that he was taking advantage of that.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yeah it was such an embarrassing fraud that quite frankly is a travesty that the NFL got to just sweep it under the rug. They completely derailed the attempt to improve competitive fairness out of pettiness and to flex their power.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If dak were a better qb the TE would run a better route

Being a qb means you are responsible for that

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is what I was saying in my very first post after the game, the main point I was left with after the game. The dude was a turnstile all day.

But at the time I didn’t even realize how bad he really had been

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 6, 2023

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

.l

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1721597926470791352?t=NlXSdiNzE_3S0dZ4PzTn9w&s=19

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Not that it matters really, game of inches and all, but I've seen balls like that go 99 yards the other way. Close play all around

edit: I think he's short because the ball was out maybe a 0.5s quicker than it should've been due to the pass rush and he just didn't quite get up field in time

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 6, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aren’t those picks illegal

Serious question

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

euphronius posted:

Serious question

They’re legal if they’re close enough to the line of scrimmage but I can’t remember what the threshold is.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

euphronius posted:

Serious question
Technically yes, but they’re never ever flagged on anybody.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

They’re legal if they’re close enough to the line of scrimmage but I can’t remember what the threshold is.
1 yard from the LOS and prior to a pass being thrown

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eagles got flagged on them ceaselessly two years ago

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Serious question

Yes, but;
- legal within 1 yard of LoS
- Only a flag if offensive player 'initiates contact' with the defender

Basically a nigh-unenforceable, 100% subjective call; New England really brought them to NFL prominence in the early 2010s. They're very risk/reward because they really only work in short-yardage type routes, but you risk getting flagged if technique isn't perfect.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/01/16/new-england-patriots-denver-broncos-afc-championship-game-pick-plays

Also,

lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I read none of this arguing but the Eagles get every call and the refs blatantly help them. They get evened up in the 4th quarter when they're already ahead to hide it. Even if the calls against the Cowboys were legit they would have been jobbed anyways.

Welcome to playing against the 07 Patriots.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the refs were helping them from the first drive, hell that first set of downs. gave them an extra 2 yards on the spot from a Hurts scramble

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Reviewing :flag:s would be a disaster but good god there has to be something to check the refs

No poo poo. I mean how exactly are you supposed to tackle a QB? There was no spearing of leading with the helmet and it certainly wasn't too low. Dude him in the mid section with a textbook sack and a clean solid hit. Christ, just put loving flags on them if you're gonna call that roughing

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blarzgh posted:

- If Dallas didn't suck poo poo, they'd be in first place!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

BiggerBoat posted:

- If Dallas didn't suck poo poo, they'd be in first place!

Proof that we don't actually live in the most dystopian timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Some salty rear end people in this thread. Cowboys had plenty of opportunities to win and failed to do it.