Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I did not when I changed the N55 plugs at ~50k. Now that I'm at 100k, when I find time this winter to do them again, I plan on replacing the coils. You know, just in time to not drive the car again until summer ish. Also planning on leaving it in RWD again, since it's mostly going to sit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I didn't swap them at ~90k miles when I did plugs. Figure a bad coil doesn't lead to catastrophic failure, is noticeable, and isn't difficult to DIY if and when it is necessary (unbolt some plastic crap to remove the cosmetic engine cover, then yank em out).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I did earlier this year on my S54 at ~86k miles. No idea if the plugs or coil packs had ever been touched before and if you're in there changing plugs figured might as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I didn’t bother at about 115k miles on the S62. I probably should have considering getting to the coils and plugs takes an hour and a half.

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
Maybe I'm just really lucky. Aside from having to replace the upper radiator expansion hose, and the washer fluid pump (both less than $50ea and done myself) I haven't had to do anything but what I would call regular maintenance on my 2016 M235i in the 3 years that I've had it.

Like, if I included everything it would be:
$50 - Washer pump + grommet
$20 - Expansion hose
$60 - Brake Fluid
$240 ($80 x 3) - Oil and Filter
$300 - Battery
$600 - Tires

Total = $1270

But the only things out of ordinary running costs are the pump and hose, and that's only $70 in 3 years. Battery, tires, brake fluid are neither a yearly expense, nor a break/fix situation. Oil is a bit silly, but not totally absurd.

I've had my e24 for about a decade now, and I did have to replace the cylinder head and injectors on that, but I got a decent deal, so it only cost about $1200 (mostly because of all of the "well, while I'm here" parts that I replaced) and a few Saturdays to do. Hell, maybe I should start playing the lotto or something.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My N55 got valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket under CPO warranty. I've DIYed the brake fluid, brake pads/rotors, oil changes, and air filters. The one pricey fix was the control arms, and I took that down to VAC for their fancy ones, and promptly discovered the charge pipe was held on with hopes and dreams, so I had them install the (several years owned) ER metal one. All in that was about $2k

The way that cost me is that I got the M Sport calipers from them for the B58 car, and also now want the monoball control arms for the daily, but I'm resisting that urge SO FAR.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my e39 m5 has been pretty reliable for an old bmw, EXCEPT for the vanos actuators, which are a common issue on the s62 :(

they failed about a year apart and were something like 5k apiece :pwn:

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, my point is everyone's parts may cost a different amount than the ones you're imagining being cheaper than a price stated. And taking apart the entire cowling/intake/bracing/etc. crap takes time, no matter if it's hard or not, mechanics bill based on how long it takes.

I don't know what the book quote for it are, but coils on an n52 shouldn't be more than an hour for a trained mechanic. I did my plugs a couple weeks ago, and it didn't take more than 1 1/2 hours for me at a slow pace, while dicking about with other stuff a little bit. I'm pretty certain I could do it in 30 minutes if I actually lined it up and tried. It's 4 bolts for the engine cover, and 3 more for the cowl IIRC.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
N52 is the goat inline v6 and is super easy to work on.

Coils and plugs is a 90 minute to two hour DIY depending upon how many beers you drink.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I just bought a 2015 F31, and I'm playing around with it and trying out stuff. I have the 8.8" display system, and under Connected Drive I'm trying to get BMW Apps to do... something? I've connected my Samsung S21 Plus with a USB cable and installed the My BMW app and added my car so I can remote control the lights and ventilation and stuff.

The iDrive detects that the phone has been correctly turned to USB Accessory mode, but it does not detect the second step, which is to start the now discontinued Connected BMW app. I've given the car full permissions on the phone, and if I plug the phone into the car, it launches the My BMW app.

All the information online is either for newer cars or for the discontinued app. My car has the latest software according to bmw.com/update. Has anyone gotten this working?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Got home and a chance to look closer at the bill. They charge $190 an hour for labor.

Diagnostic Labor: $190

Coils/Plugs:
6x spark plugs at $19.99
6x Bosch coils at $84.99
Parts $629
Labor $320
Tax $87
Total: $1226

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That is a pretty high labor rate. If they are primarily serving high end exotics (Aston Martins) that makes more sense since there are less people with experience working on those cars.

You should be able to find a good BMW shop for less than that. I live like a 5 minute drive from a BMW only indy shop, $140/hr and these guys know their stuff.

Edit: Is this an e46? Cause I did coils/plugs on my e46 M3 last year and the kit I got from ECS included NGK plugs ($13.99 each) and Bosch coils ($21.99 each).

Popete fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 6, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The hour of diags in addition to two hours labor is a little weak imo. Normally on something semi straightforward like that I’d expect diags waived if you do the repair with them

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Popete posted:

That is a pretty high labor rate. If they are primarily serving high end exotics (Aston Martins) that makes more sense since there are less people with experience working on those cars.

You should be able to find a good BMW shop for less than that. I live like a 5 minute drive from a BMW only indy shop, $140/hr and these guys know their stuff.

Edit: Is this an e46? Cause I did coils/plugs on my e46 M3 last year and the kit I got from ECS included NGK plugs ($13.99 each) and Bosch coils ($21.99 each).

e46 330Ci so M54B30 engine. Looking at Pelican Parts I'm struggling to make sense of the price range on coils from $22 to $62 all of which are the same brands (Bosch and Delphi) and having slightly different part numbers but all being "for my vehicle."

TheBacon posted:

The hour of diags in addition to two hours labor is a little weak imo. Normally on something semi straightforward like that I’d expect diags waived if you do the repair with them

Yeah. I don't disagree. Especially since I take not one, but two cars to them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
$1200 to change plugs/coils on a 3 series is honestly nuts. It's a dead simple job I am very much an amateur and it took me maybe 1.5 hours going very slow. Unless the 330ci is widely more difficult I would think a shop could bang that out in under an hour easy and I don't understand why they charged you diagnostic time.

It cost me ~$250 parts and that is including a magnetic socket for the plugs.

Popete fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 6, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If OP just brought it in saying, "it's idling rough" I wouldn't be shocked if the dealer just slaps it on but will remove it if the customer barks. It's functionally a free $200 for them if it proves to be the first thing they think it is :v:

In my experience, most mechanics only charge the Diagnostic if you chose not to have them perform the service they recommend to fix the issue.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I told them the solid service engine light was on and suspected coil because it felt like the time there was a coil causing a misfire on a previous car. I've since found a review that described them as "really good at what they do, arrogant, and really expensive." I've never found them to be arrogant, but the rest checks out I guess.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 6, 2023

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I took my Alfa in to the local BMW shop today for an alignment because I figured they could handle a recent-ish car like that and they would do a better job than Firestone or whatever.

They got it up on the rack and the computer told them it needs Ferrari tooling and technicians to do the work. :ferrari:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I took my Alfa in to the local BMW shop today for an alignment because I figured they could handle a recent-ish car like that and they would do a better job than Firestone or whatever.

They got it up on the rack and the computer told them it needs Ferrari tooling and technicians to do the work. :ferrari:

lmao.

A lot of local people go to Forza Automotive in Tempe. Forewarning that the owner is a bit of a nutter.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Popete posted:

Unless the 330ci is widely more difficult I would think a shop could bang that out in under an hour easy and I don't understand why they charged you diagnostic time.

It’s not, it’s an easy job done with basic hand tools and no jacks or lifts or fancy stuff required. Most annoying part is removing the cabin air filter housing stuff but that’s still trivial difficulty it just adds a few more minutes.

I’m all for paying a good shop to do good work when you are unable or don’t want to do the job yourself, but plugs and coils on an e46/m54 is about as easy as they come, it’s a benefit of being an inline six. I know shops got to make a margin and all but you’re getting absolutely hosed on this one.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 6, 2023

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

lmao.

A lot of local people go to Forza Automotive in Tempe. Forewarning that the owner is a bit of a nutter.

Thanks, I think I've heard of people using that shop. The local Alfa/Fiat/Dodge dealer has an actual QV-certified technician and it's only a few more bucks than the indie shop so I'm getting it done there. A five minute drive is worth a lot to me compared to an hour-plus to Tempe and back.

What really kills me is the $375 oil change. Of course it requires special equipment to reset and honestly I don't want to screw with anything under the hood on that car but... it's just so damned expensive. I'm not going to conflate this with a 3-month 4qt oil change on my NB Miata 20 years ago but even the E90 with 9qts was $150 if I did it myself? Not sure I'm ready for what a 991.2 maintenance prices will be.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Lmfao

They find your lack of ~*pAsSioNe*~ troubling

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I saw the new i5 plug in electric 5 series and it's a lot uglier in person. The grille looks awful

Apparently the marketing guys told the design guys it wouldn't sell unless it had the presence of a subaru crosstrek

If I wanted a loving crossover SUV bullshit I'd get an X4 :mad:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
bmw strayed from the light long ago imo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So this morning I was driving to a dr’s appointment, and about 5 minutes in the car started shaking hard with acceleration. SERVICE ENGINE SOON came on. I’m having it towed to a shop but am curious if there are any initial thoughts on how hosed I am.
Sad update:

- Had plugs and coils changed. This stopped the extreme chugging but it still ran rough and SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on. Went back to the shop.
- Shop told me it was throwing a MAF code. Had the MAF changed. Same thing.
- Figured I would limp it home, only when I stopped the oil pressure light came on. Oil was at the "min" mark even though there was no apparent puddle or trail of oil. gently caress. Had it towed again.

I'm hosed aren't I

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sad update:

- Had plugs and coils changed. This stopped the extreme chugging but it still ran rough and SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on. Went back to the shop.
- Shop told me it was throwing a MAF code. Had the MAF changed. Same thing.
- Figured I would limp it home, only when I stopped the oil pressure light came on. Oil was at the "min" mark even though there was no apparent puddle or trail of oil. gently caress. Had it towed again.

I'm hosed aren't I

When's the last time you checked the oil? It could still be a ton of different issues. Is it throwing any other codes? It should be.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fknlo posted:

When's the last time you checked the oil? It could still be a ton of different issues. Is it throwing any other codes? It should be.
Checked it probably a couple months ago and it had the right amount. I do changes every 5k miles and mine's about 3k in. I should have scanned it but I decided to just get it towed to a different shop than I had used last time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Checked it probably a couple months ago and it had the right amount. I do changes every 5k miles and mine's about 3k in. I should have scanned it but I decided to just get it towed to a different shop than I had used last time.

I wouldn't sweat it just being at the minimum mark. You obviously have something going on but that's generally not going to be a dangerously low level of oil if you aren't tracking the car or something.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I mean, it went from being at the max mark when I checked it recently to the oil light going off, and the level being at the min mark suddenly - that was enough for me to get a tow rather than risk it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I mean, it went from being at the max mark when I checked it recently to the oil light going off, and the level being at the min mark suddenly - that was enough for me to get a tow rather than risk it.

Oh, thought you had checked it after the last oil change and it had gone down over 3,000 miles.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:siren::siren::siren:AI:SS 2023 - Late But Not Forgotten:siren::siren::siren:

I'm running it this year to give slothrop a well-deserved break:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047118

This is a pretty late start and the deadlines are tighter, so don't dilly-dally.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I've decided to track prep the dang e91.

Gonna put the e82 brakes on and errything.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I did the 335i brakes on mine during the last brake service and it made a huge difference. Are you talking about the 6 piston setup?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Yep. I have the e82 brakes already sitting in my shed. I just need to rebuild them with stainless pistons and get new wheels/tires.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Elite Taco posted:

I've decided to track prep the dang e91.

Gonna put the e82 brakes on and errything.

Hell yeah, post progress pics! How does the e82 retrofit compare to the f80 retrofit? I was considering the f80 front brakes but was put off by needing the knuckles etc plus basically requiring 19" wheels, so I went with Stoptech 4-pots on sale. Do you need to go up to 19" wheels (or specific 18") for the e82 brakes?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Hey I have a set of P337 brakes, so 340mm up front and the single piston rear with a lot of pad and rotor life left sitting in my shed north of Philly if people need parts of upgrades.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Hell yeah, post progress pics! How does the e82 retrofit compare to the f80 retrofit? I was considering the f80 front brakes but was put off by needing the knuckles etc plus basically requiring 19" wheels, so I went with Stoptech 4-pots on sale. Do you need to go up to 19" wheels (or specific 18") for the e82 brakes?

As I understand it, they bolt right on. The only thing you have to be finicky on is the rear rotors on account of the parking brake.

I plan to go with Style 68 wheels in 18" which will clear the e82 brakes. The F80 is the common choice because you don't need to rebuild them. The e82 brakes used ceramic pistons which are a problem when they crack.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Update: The Alfa didn’t need an alignment. It’s within factory specs and apparently they all wear the inside rears faster. The technician offered to decrease camber but didn’t recommend it if I was planning to drive the car hard. I passed.

Also, oil changes are $375 now. Starting with my next car I’m going back to doing this poo poo myself. Don’t care if I have to buy some stupid tool to reset the oil life counter.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Your next car is going to be even more complicated and you're going to be even older and busier at that point.

The Liqui-Moli GT1 + filter + gaskets kit for the E92 is $225 shipped, I don't mind paying half an hour in labor to not do it myself tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The F80 happily takes M1 0w40 that's $26 for 5 quarts. The last oil change on it that I paid a shop to do was $190.