Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I'm Svante Arrhenius but I was holding out hope we'd get it together eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

smoobles posted:

one of the more believable subplots in Ministry of the Future is that air travel is finally mostly brought to an end by regular, random drone attacks on passenger airplanes by a secret ecoterrorist group, making everyone afraid to fly

they also murder oil billionaires in their homes

Literally the best parts of that book.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Ministry: hundreds of pages on boring poo poo like crypto and social networking while important crazy poo poo like drone and prion eco terrorism gets a paragraph. Also unnecessary chapters from light and gas POV

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

lol

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Re: the personal crack ping is me rembering this:

Barack Obama on becoming the democratic candidiate in 2008 posted:

Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that, generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless...

(APPLAUSE)

... this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal...

(APPLAUSE)

... this was the moment when we ended a war, and secured our nation, and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth.

(APPLAUSE)

This was the moment, this was the time when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves and our highest ideals.

Thank you, Minnesota. God bless you, and may God bless the United States of America.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Now this is mister bones wild ride! :getin:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

“our world in data” *looks down* oh yea, there it is! hi buddy!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

so what you're saying is, our satisfaction's gonna be off the charts?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the crack ping is the sound when lols and lmaos begin exponential acceleration

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Eason the Fifth posted:

Vote. :obama:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Eason the Fifth posted:

to be fair, he said IF

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm not sure I remember my first "we ain't never gonna do poo poo" crack ping.

But I do remember around 2000 (I was 15) being aware of peak oil and thinking it would affect me in my lifetime (but also 'solve' climate change). And then, some years later, seeing a chart showing total amount of oil so far extracted vs. total still in the ground, thinking "holy gently caress that's a lot of oil" and "are we really gonna dig all that up?" and "lmao but what about the climate?"

I think I still considered renewable energy to be a salvation though. It was only after finding this thread and getting exposed to a drip-feed of crack pings that I stopped.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm curious as to what year you got your namechange, or if you've been Microplastics since 2007.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

trucutru posted:

Joke is on you, that super dirty fuel actually created a protective cover that reduced the amount of heat absorbed by the planet. As the fuel they used got cleaner their emissions began to contribute more to global warming.

Nowadays there is a bunch of Geo engineering psychos recommending high sulfur fuel and their protective poison clouds to heal the earth. It's wild.

My job? I am the captain of a sulfur cloud ship responsible for geoengineering the southeastern quadrant of the pacific.

Yes, yes, you can thank me for my service later. I appreciate the recognition though. Without captains like me our biosphere would be doomed.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Dog Case posted:

Lmao, people don't even know what wolves are. It was maybe coyotes, probably somebody's escaped huskies that attacked that person's dog. I guarantee they didn't wrestle their dog away from two of these

Yeah probably, given how often hunters shoot people's malamutes after mistaking them for wolves.

They do look very similar to wolves, except for almost everything about them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

trucutru posted:

Joke is on you, that super dirty fuel actually created a protective cover that reduced the amount of heat absorbed by the planet. As the fuel they used got cleaner their emissions began to contribute more to global warming.

Nowadays there is a bunch of Geo engineering psychos recommending high sulfur fuel and their protective poison clouds to heal the earth. It's wild.

yeah, this was another huge crack ping when I learned about this. A two for one!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Everything is fine. :unsmith:

Things aren't that bad yet. :unsmigghh:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I just had an idea, what if we go thrifting and see if we can find another biosphere for sale

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Hubbert posted:

Everything is fine. :unsmith:

Things aren't that bad yet. :unsmigghh:

:hmmyes: https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...4439648f5&ei=22

(heres the actual paper https://arxiv.org/abs/2204.08955)

quote:

Their results showed that we're not necessarily headed for certain climate doom. We might follow quite a regular and predictable trajectory, the endpoint of which is a climate stabilization at a higher average temperature point than what we have now. That's… still not great, given the deadly effects we're already seeing on humans and other animals.

But at the more extreme end, Earth runs into havoc. This means that the planet's system evolves into chaotic behavior – extreme seasonal fluctuations and weather events – that precludes prediction of the future behavior of the system, making it impossible to mitigate. That means it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to claw our way back to a stable climate.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Every single one of these articles ignore that 90% of nature is going to go extinct, and we have no idea what the actual ramifications of that is going to be. I mean, we do in the sense of “apocalyptic we all gonna die.” but how long will it take?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

FlapYoJacks posted:

The day I learned that 63 cruise ships owned by Carnival Corporation released more toxic sulfur gasses than all the cars in Europe (The article is new but the research goes back several years) was the final crack-ping moment for me. We, as consumers, have no way to effectively reduce emissions when 63 cruise ships dump emissions in the air than all of the cars in western Europe combined lmfao.

Similarly, I think it was when I learned about how much bunker fuel a single cargo ship uses to cross the Pacific one way and how much pollution it shits out is worse than a year of car traffic in a city.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

FFT posted:

I'm curious as to what year you got your namechange, or if you've been Microplastics since 2007.

I was formerly JeremoudCorbynejad, a reference to a UK politician, but after he fell out of the news I decided to change it to something that would last forever :grin:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rare 'firenado' weather phenomenon spotted in Australian Outback

quote:

"In this situation there was absolutely nothing we could do but sit back and watch," Hayes Cook, the resident who captured the dramatic footage, told Storyful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1721560657831895437

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Not that bad yet

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

How bad does it have to be to kill the gulf stream?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
the Gulf Stream actually stopping? probably much worse than now. It could conceivably slow though.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Are we at the point where it's gonna chunk up one degree a year for a few years?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
We got 3 ppm CO2 this year. I think we can do 4 next year. I believe in humanity

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
gotta have that big ppm energy

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Well I'm not currently on fire so it can't be all that bad yet.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The weather is quite alright here today

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

starkebn posted:

The weather is quite alright here today

the merging of the doomsday Econ, weather, pandemic, reactionary, and this biosphere thread will happen more rapidly, and with greater intensity, than originally joked about

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

What's sigma?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

A beta pretending to bottom from the top

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

sigma balls LMAooo gottem

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

smoobles posted:

sigma balls LMAooo gottem

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

an abbreviation of standard deviation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

hes what u get when you accidentally install a bitcoin miner on your best reploid