Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

*spice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
*speese

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

Exactly, the best spouse

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

speese is the plural of spoose

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Hwurmp posted:

And spice is the singular of a terrible 90s girl band :colbert:

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Hwurmp posted:

The spoose must flow.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So, fun fact, if you're making deluxe fertilizer at a workbench, it will prefer to use the legendary fish you have in your backpack before it uses the pile of 300 mussels you have in an adjacent chest.

Glad I discovered that before I went to sleep for the night and was able to restart that day.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Afaik it prioritizes whatever you have in your backpack first like the cooking stuff does

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Cooking#Notes

It's specific to cooking, but pretty sure this is universal for crafting

Every recipe searches for ingredients in the following locations, always in the same order from the bottom right slot to the top left slot:
- first in the player's inventory
- then in the main refrigerator
- finally in any Mini-Fridges

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Desert Bus for Hope's currently got a giveaway drive (basically a raffle) running for some hand-crafted, and very lovely, Stardew Valley planters if anyone wants to try their luck.

Just donate $6.85, or multiples thereof, at https://www.desertbus.org to get in the running, going for an hour as of this post.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Man, the RNG has not been kind this run. Rapidly approaching the end of year 2 and despite clearing the mines and doing multiple dozens-of-floors runs in the Skull Cavern I only have two Dwarf Scrolls.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I always found those far easier to find in the regular mines since they are roughly split in an easy spread as drops from monsters. Even easier if you got a burglar ring

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

Man, the RNG has not been kind this run. Rapidly approaching the end of year 2 and despite clearing the mines and doing multiple dozens-of-floors runs in the Skull Cavern I only have two Dwarf Scrolls.

You can actually hoe/til spots in the mines for every dwarf scroll but the blue(#3) one. Any floor for #1, Floors 1-39 for #2, and 80-120 for #4. Sometimes it's easier than killing enemies sometimes it's not but it's another option if you're getting tired. Also Scrolls 1 and 2 can't be dropped in the Skull Caverns at all.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I found that digging was flat-out better for getting the scrolls. You have maybe a dozen monsters max per floor, but you can have a hundred or more dirt tiles. Also. In the regular mines you can use the elevator to zip down to a floor with a certain scroll and keep trying.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/TeamSanshee/status/1728127373441396909?s=20

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I mean you could pay 35 bucks for one of those or you could just pick one up from the bush behind the playground at exactly noon on the 28th of the month for free

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Decided to check out the latest farming life sim, Coral Island, and wow - really hope Ape is getting royalties from it!

It’s not even “inspired by”, it’s basically just a 1:1 copy of Stardew with a different graphics style. “Here’s your scythe, axe, hoe etc, your farm is overrun with weeds and fallen logs and stones, clear them out and plant some parsnip turnip seeds, go meet the villagers and check out the general store - ps it’s closed on Wednesdays ;). Oh you found a geode while digging, the blacksmith can crack that open for you! Oh you chopped down a pine tree, here’s some wood, pinecones, and sap!” And so on

I only played the first half hour so maybe it’ll diverge a bit (I think there’s diving instead of mining?), but it’s kind of weird to be playing the exact same game with totally different graphics.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

Decided to check out the latest farming life sim, Coral Island, and wow - really hope Ape is getting royalties from it!

It’s not even “inspired by”, it’s basically just a 1:1 copy of Stardew with a different graphics style. “Here’s your scythe, axe, hoe etc, your farm is overrun with weeds and fallen logs and stones, clear them out and plant some parsnip turnip seeds, go meet the villagers and check out the general store - ps it’s closed on Wednesdays ;). Oh you found a geode while digging, the blacksmith can crack that open for you! Oh you chopped down a pine tree, here’s some wood, pinecones, and sap!” And so on

I only played the first half hour so maybe it’ll diverge a bit (I think there’s diving instead of mining?), but it’s kind of weird to be playing the exact same game with totally different graphics.

I do like it, don't sleep on sickle upgrades because of diving.

There are a bunch of moments where I *thiiiink* it basically doesn't tutorial something because it's in Stardew. But still good fun.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
how exact we talking about here, because stardew valley borrowed heavily from harvest moon but decided to make it good again

it's a well trodden genre, just somehow they kept loving it up

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

World Famous W posted:

how exact we talking about here, because stardew valley borrowed heavily from harvest moon but decided to make it good again

When you get your first piece of ore, the blacksmith shows up at your door the next morning and gives you the crafting recipe for a furnace.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I never played the original Harvest Moon games, so I don't know how closely Stardew follows them, but I mean.....

(the path on the right leads into town)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

World Famous W posted:

it's a well trodden genre, just somehow they kept loving it up

They owe as much to Ape as Ape does to Natsume.

If you've played any of the older HM/RF games (and of course Stardew) you can skip the tutorials.

But if you've played Stardew a billion times and want more stuff it seems pretty good (only in Summer 1 so far). Also all the dateables are like mid-20s-early 30s instead of post HS/College kids.

webmeister posted:

I never played the original Harvest Moon games, so I don't know how closely Stardew follows them, but I mean.....

When Stardew was released, if you told me it was a remaster of an early HM game I would have believed you.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 28, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Stardew just did it better without releasing a thousand versions of wildly varying quality or the whole thing where the games with harvest moon aren't actually harvest moons but the one that is harvest moon actually isn't that good anymore either.

An industry development company can't survive on making one game and selling it for 20 bucks and then free updates that don't add any opportunity for mtx sales. But it's still weird they fail to hit the mark with so many decades of working templates you'd think would cover a lot of the bases.

I'm a sucker for this kind of game but pretty picky. Stardew and Sandrock are probably the only two I'd recommend without hesitation.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Stardew was just Harvest Moon without the terminal anime poisoning.

That said... I mean that game is much more a direct copy of Stardew than Stardew is of Friends of Mineral Town. Like even the buildings are in the exact same place.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

people who only played stardew valley playing a second farming game: gettin some real stardew valley vibes from this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zokari posted:

people who only played stardew valley playing a second farming game: gettin some real stardew valley vibes from this

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Zokari posted:

lol

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zokari posted:

Coral Island lifts a lot of elements directly from Stardew Valley that were never in Story of Seasons or Harvest Moon and as a fan of the genre it's really easy to see things that are directly from Stardew Valley.

(I think it's fine that Coral Island borrows a lot of elements from extremely popular and successful game Stardew Valley, but also once you're digging up Lost Library Books and Secret Notes it's like "Come on man")

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 29, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Coral Island is also supposedly a false 1.0 rushed out of early access with big portions missing from the end game

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has he said around when 1.6 might come out? I have a hankering for Stardew but I don’t want to put a bunch of time into a 1.5 save right before the update

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
pretty sure it's slated for release a couple weeks after you finally give in and start replaying, probably around the time you hit Winter 1

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He’s probably bogged down in coding a mission where you and Kent go deep behind enemy lines in the Gotoro Empire to rescue POW’s abandoned by the Ferngill Republic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The twist is gonna be that Ferngill are the villains in the war, buying all that ancient fruit wine you produce and turning it into a horrible biological weapon

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Cartoon Man posted:

He’s probably bogged down in coding a mission where you and Kent go deep behind enemy lines in the Gotoro Empire to rescue POW’s abandoned by the Ferngill Republic.

It's gonna be top down like Hotline Miami and digital devolver are already in on the collab. Lol

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Coral Island would scratch my Stardew itch if it weren't so goddamned buggy. Calling this a 1.0 release is a bit of a joke. The museum donation gimmick is entirely broken in that donating items will crash to dashboard every time, there is no way to do this until an inevitable patch.
And yeah, it's pretty drat valid to call this nearly 1 to 1 when compared to Stardew, with the one added bonus of a dash button.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

remember when stardew first came out and moving diagonally was super slow for some reason

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yeah it's got different NPCs and some content changes. My wife is cracking out to it and loves it. It's inclusive and you can customize your farmer more/differently. Definitely pretty much a clone. She also says if you hate EA cycles you should probably wait till full release. She also said there are mermaids but she doesn't know much about them yet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm totally happy with games trying to be the next Stardew considering the creator is going in a different direction with his next game. It's been 7 years and maybe one game in the genre comes close to as good.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Wee Bairns posted:

Coral Island would scratch my Stardew itch if it weren't so goddamned buggy. Calling this a 1.0 release is a bit of a joke. The museum donation gimmick is entirely broken in that donating items will crash to dashboard every time, there is no way to do this until an inevitable patch.
And yeah, it's pretty drat valid to call this nearly 1 to 1 when compared to Stardew, with the one added bonus of a dash button.

You on console? I heard the PS/Xbox versions are hosed up but Steam has been working fine so far. I've got like 100 things in the museum with no issues. A couple crashes when I cranked all the graphics settings to Ultra but turned it back down and it's been ok.

Anyways, first season and a bit trip report:

If you've speedrun Stardew a billion times, memorized all the villager schedules and gift preferences, etc. it scratches the itch for more. Haven't gotten anywhere close to late game so I can't say anything about cut/missing content there but the ride has been fun.

And it's definitely more. Ballpark about twice the characters and twice the romancables. I've got 100 items in the museum and it's still rank E (though it also serves as an aquarium so that bumps up the count). Not sure if it's just because it's new and I don't know them all yet, but the crop, foragable and fish list all seem bigger.

Festivals are fun so far. But we'll see if that lasts if you do them dozens of times like the Stardew ones. I can see at least 1 getting old fast. Some of the minigames are character skill based so you can't just dominate year 1.

Refinements to the formula
Dash
Plentiful fast travel beacons unlocked at a decent pace (reach mine level x to get the mine warp point, donate y items to go to the museum, etc)
Universal box access for crafting (including Do Not Touch boxes for things you don't want to use)
Built in time controls
Upgradable seed quality (I guess some HM/RF games have this)

Character/story stuff
Actual diverse cast
More mature dateables so no "how old are you?" weirdness with peeps like Abi/Maru/Sam/Alex/Haley
Story is more HM with the Harvest Goddess than junimos/sprites
Can actually make an Asian looking dude without mod fuckery

Stuff not in Stardew
Bug catching collectathon
Diving gameplay loop. Pretty huge section of the game including eventually mermaids (just seen them and they ran away, haven't actually talked to them yet)

The devs are also pretty clear in their intentions of what they are trying to do and the game's lineage. Theres a merchant in the game run by a concerned monkey that sells an item called the OG farmer hat that's a backwards blue baseball cap with a tuft of brown hair sticking out the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
:ducksiren:

https://www.stardewvalleyconcert.com/

More dates have been announced.