Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Right now I'm thinking of going Voidborn Noble - Officer - Grand Strategist. Contagious Luck would let me give my Fortune ability to my Servant, Jinx lets me passively boost everyone around me and Be Smart lets me use Intelligence instead of Fellowship. Grand Strategist always gets to go first in combat apparently so I'd always be able to select my Servant and buff them before their turn.

How bad of an idea is it to have two Officers in the same party? I want to use Cassia so I might rethink if it turns out that using two leaders is a bad call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Right now I'm thinking of going Voidborn Noble - Officer - Grand Strategist. Contagious Luck would let me give my Fortune ability to my Servant, Jinx lets me passively boost everyone around me and Be Smart lets me use Intelligence instead of Fellowship. Grand Strategist always gets to go first in combat apparently so I'd always be able to select my Servant and buff them before their turn.

How bad of an idea is it to have two Officers in the same party? I want to use Cassia so I might rethink if it turns out that using two leaders is a bad call.

If you're building a min max party it's probably going to be 2 officers for sure, given they can give extra movement and attacks every round. Cassia's unique powers also make her insanely good for stunning enemies and forcing them out of cover so even with the overlap she's still a vital party member.

The video mentions a handful of those Homeworld talents as being worse then some standard archetype talents you can take. Homeworld is going be the biggest factor for a psyker as you have to pick from 2 entire talent pools to build, plus taking the 5 ranks of psy power needed to access the best psyker stuff is going to leave you with little room for other talents.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

If you're building a min max party it's probably going to be 2 officers for sure, given they can give extra movement and attacks every round. Cassia's unique powers also make her insanely good for stunning enemies and forcing them out of cover so even with the overlap she's still a vital party member.

The video mentions a handful of those Homeworld talents as being worse then some standard archetype talents you can take. Homeworld is going be the biggest factor for a psyker as you have to pick from 2 entire talent pools to build, plus taking the 5 ranks of psy power needed to access the best psyker stuff is going to leave you with little room for other talents.

Yeah, it seems like there's enough depth in the talents and choices that Cassia and my planned first MC (hive born commissar leader with a flamethrower and a bad attitude) are going to play way, way differently.

Psyker is a whole other can of beans with how it interacts with classes.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there seriously multiplayer or was that other poster pulling my leg?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Xun posted:

Is there seriously multiplayer or was that other poster pulling my leg?

Here's the official showcase stream.

https://www.youtube.com/live/QGNKBVBF4j8?si=9vcfLGKPaLPSAeWV

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
A lot like BG3, there'll be a co-op mode available, but this is a single player game at its core.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nephthys posted:

To add on to what pentyne said, I'd argue that having two Officers isn't just non-redundant, it might even be necessary on higher difficulties, considering how game-changing extra movement and turns were in the beta. That said, I'm probably going to get a mercenary as an officer, or a Biomancer buffbot, depending on how Pasqual shapes up as a party member. He was an 'adept' class in the alpha and beta, so I'm assuming he'd be an officer in the release, but I'd like to be sure.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

CommissarMega posted:

To add on to what pentyne said, I'd argue that having two Officers isn't just non-redundant, it might even be necessary on higher difficulties, considering how game-changing extra movement and turns were in the beta. That said, I'm probably going to get a mercenary as an officer, or a Biomancer buffbot, depending on how Pasqual shapes up as a party member. He was an 'adept' class in the alpha and beta, so I'm assuming he'd be an officer in the release, but I'd like to be sure.

Wow, thanks this is super helpful.

From what I've seen about the companions they are something like this:

Argenta is a Ministorum Priest Marksman
Abelard is Naval Officer Warrior
Idira is a Divination Unsanctioned Psyker Operative
Heinrix is Biomancer Sanctioned Psyker Warrior
Jae Crime Lord Marksman
Cassia Unique Navigator Officer
Pasqal Unique Techpriest Operative
Yrliet Unique Eldar Operative

I've heard they haven't changed from the beta except for the name changes but obviously can't confirm, but it does seem odd to have 3 Operatives and only 1 Officer.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
From my limited experience with the beta void born seems like an auto-take if you're just considering stats.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Jae Crime Lord Marksman

I've heard they haven't changed from the beta except for the name changes but obviously can't confirm, but it does seem odd to have 3 Operatives and only 1 Officer.

There's 2 more, a Space Wolf marine and a Dark Eldar, in Act 3 or past it so midgame at the earliest. The party members also have some unique abilities/traits.

Just from my impressions of trying to explore the overworld map as much as possible in the beta, you can only travel to at most 1/3, maybe 1/4 of the map, huge portions of it are not available to explore, so if it is a 5 act game then Act 4 and 5 are either going to have a massive amount of new areas to travel to, or be underwhelming to a huge degree.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pentyne posted:

Just from my impressions of trying to explore the overworld map as much as possible in the beta, you can only travel to at most 1/3, maybe 1/4 of the map, huge portions of it are not available to explore, so if it is a 5 act game then Act 4 and 5 are either going to have a massive amount of new areas to travel to, or be underwhelming to a huge degree.

I don't think the map would be THAT much bigger; I think the map from the alpha and beta is around 66-75% of the full map, and some of the later content might be retreading our steps, considering the events of Act 3.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Unless this is an endgame weapon disregard what I said about starting equipment holding up midway into the game because holy poo poo

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

pentyne posted:

Unless this is an endgame weapon disregard what I said about starting equipment holding up midway into the game because holy poo poo

I don’t know how directly those numbers are relatable to the FFG games but sometimes you just need to be able to melee a leman russ to get at the juicy center.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Preechr posted:

I don’t know how directly those numbers are relatable to the FFG games but sometimes you just need to be able to melee a leman russ to get at the juicy center.

The min damage is what most 1h melee weapons I've seen do on critical, and the armor pen is also sky high, I think a 2h Thunder Hammer is 25.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

Lmao "Bloodseeker Klaive" is so perfectly warhammer. I can tell already that Owlcat gets it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Nephthys posted:

Jae Crime Lord Marksman

We know respecing will be in. I assume it’ll be limited to Archetypes, but I guess you’ll be able to, say, make Pasqal an Officer?

Having not played the game, this is what I’m thinking in terms of party. Does this seem reasonable?

MC Forge World Telepath Psyker Operative -> Grand Strategist
Cassia Officer -> Grand Strategist
Heinrix Warrior -> Assassin
Pasqal Officer -> Master Tactician
Abelard Warrior -> Vanguard
Argenta Marksman -> Hunter

I feel like mechanically, Void Born is far superior, but unfortunately Forge World fits the character concept better.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 8, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

We know respecing will be in. I assume it’ll be limited to Archetypes, but I guess you’ll be able to, say, make Pasqal an Officer?

Owlcat has never let you respec below the level you get your companions at, their archetypes are probably set.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 8, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A klaive is an exotic drukhari two handed power weapon so it better have good stats. Like even among the bondage dodos it's a rare weapon

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I highly, HIGHLY doubt you can completely change their initial class. And by highly, I mean a mod might do it (and even then it'd probably be notably more complex and possibly buggy to do than similar mods for the PF games), but it absolutely isn't happening officially.

Arglebargle III posted:

A klaive is an exotic drukhari two handed power weapon so it better have good stats. Like even among the bondage dodos it's a rare weapon

Strangely it's listed as a chain weapon though, so there's some weirdness going on with it regardless. Also only 1-handed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Most of the party have unique feats and abilities not part of the regular character creation so aside from setting them to level 1 for their starting class I can't see any other options.

They're probably planning some kind of rogue-like mode as DLC, where you can create a whole party including Tech Priests, Eldar, Navigators, Space Marines, etc. with their unique abilities being the homeworld/origin feature.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pentyne posted:

Most of the party have unique feats and abilities not part of the regular character creation so aside from setting them to level 1 for their starting class I can't see any other options.

They're probably planning some kind of rogue-like mode as DLC, where you can create a whole party including Tech Priests, Eldar, Navigators, Space Marines, etc. with their unique abilities being the homeworld/origin feature.

FreeLC - 40k Xcom.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I'm probably going to get a mercenary buffbot to go alongside Cassia for myself, and use Toybox's "pretend like all your party members are with you and are laughing offscreen for interaction purposes" option to make up for that.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Lord Koth posted:

I highly, HIGHLY doubt you can completely change their initial class. And by highly, I mean a mod might do it (and even then it'd probably be notably more complex and possibly buggy to do than similar mods for the PF games), but it absolutely isn't happening officially.

Strangely it's listed as a chain weapon though, so there's some weirdness going on with it regardless. Also only 1-handed.

The beta had a bunch of weird weapon types, like longlas weapons being projectiles.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Okay, w40k wiki says a Klaive is essentially a custom mastercrafted force weapon, those are the kinds of things a lucky Space Marine chaptermaster would be wielding.

Probably late game then or something you pick up from a super hard boss. The itemization in the game is going to go a long way to how you build characters wrt to all those weapon proficiencies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Still think its bullshit we didn't get a Freeboota companion but someone got stuck with an even more party-unfriendly Dark Eldar.

Owlcat are coward :colbert:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

pentyne posted:

Okay, w40k wiki says a Klaive is essentially a custom mastercrafted force weapon, those are the kinds of things a lucky Space Marine chaptermaster would be wielding.

Probably late game then or something you pick up from a super hard boss. The itemization in the game is going to go a long way to how you build characters wrt to all those weapon proficiencies.

A klaive is way more common than that. It's a very slightly better power sword and an entire unit of Incubi (an elite melee unit) come equipped with them by default. Most Space Marine characters would have something as good if not better and a Chapter Master's power sword would be significantly better. This particular one seems a lot better than a baseline klaive, so I'd guess you pick it up in Act 3 or so.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Nephthys posted:

Jae Crime Lord Marksman

Jae was an Officer in Beta, not operative. So 2-2-2-2 spread on the classes.

I'm not buying that 2 officers are necessary nor even that useful.
Yes they can give their actions to other and give extra turn as their ultimate.
Meanwhile Warriors can do charge attack + normal attack as standard.
Also both Warriors and Marksmen get to do attack 3+ times as their ultimate ability.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Gotta say I'm not a fan of random YouTubers getting access to the "almost final" edition, but alpha backers got to wait a month.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Issaries posted:

Jae was an Officer in Beta, not operative. So 2-2-2-2 spread on the classes.

I'm not buying that 2 officers are necessary nor even that useful.
Yes they can give their actions to other and give extra turn as their ultimate.
Meanwhile Warriors can do charge attack + normal attack as standard.
Also both Warriors and Marksmen get to do attack 3+ times as their ultimate ability.

Yeah, but think of Warriors and Marksmen being able to perform their ultimates more than once a battle; I can certainly think of several boss fights in the game that'd be much easier if such a character got to do that multiple times :unsmigghh:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That's why I have always 2 warriors on my party.
My commissar Mustache and either Heindrix or Abelard as 2nd.
Sister Argenta gives some fire support and Navigator Waifu Cassia bosses everyone around.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

the panacea posted:

Gotta say I'm not a fan of random YouTubers getting access to the "almost final" edition, but alpha backers got to wait a month.

Said Youtubers are basically "games media" at this point and are playing with what's close to a review build (and will evidently get updated to such in a few weeks). While I'm impatient too, I'm fine waiting a few more weeks for the final polish patches to be pre-applied.

(Also, Mortismal and Slandered have been holding down the Owlcat fort for a long time and have been covering RT on their channels basically since it was announced, so I'm not totally adverse to them getting access to media preview/review builds.)

I'm significantly more encouraged by the fact that Owlcat feels confident enough to send out preview/buildup-to-review builds this early. Release is still 29 days away.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 8, 2023

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

SpaceDrake posted:

Said Youtubers are basically "games media" at this point and are playing with what's close to a review build (and will evidently get updated to such in a few weeks). While I'm impatient too, I'm fine waiting a few more weeks for the final polish patches to be pre-applied.

I'm significantly more encouraged by the fact that Owlcat feels confident enough to send out preview/buildup-to-review builds this early. Release is still 29 days away.

This assumes there wasn't some back-channel deal for positive coverage. Plenty of larger studios only send advance copies of games to outlets and reviewers that consistently give positive ratings, while more critical voices quickly find themselves blacklisted, and I wouldn't put it past Owlcat, who are pretty shady at the best of times (putting games out in a barely playable state and "rereleasing" the game after the major bugs are fixed as an "Enhanced Edition" in order to get more time on the front page of storefronts, for one thing). Warner Bros., in particular, got caught making explicit deals with Youtubers to send them advance copies of, IIRC, one of the Middle Earth games, in exchange for uncritical praise. I'll wait to see the reviews from people who had to buy the game themselves.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
So what's the general consensus on this based on the beta? I've not played any Owlcat games before so I don't know what to expect specifically from them, but I've played plenty of RPGs. I'm fine with jank and obscure systems if the underlying game is a good one. Does it look like it'll be worth buying?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Based on the beta no. But folk seem really convinced it will be significantly better than that but I don't know what that's based on to be honest.

Personally I would wait for bit after release to see if the problems shake out

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

This assumes there wasn't some back-channel deal for positive coverage. Plenty of larger studios only send advance copies of games to outlets and reviewers that consistently give positive ratings, while more critical voices quickly find themselves blacklisted, and I wouldn't put it past Owlcat, who are pretty shady at the best of times (putting games out in a barely playable state and "rereleasing" the game after the major bugs are fixed as an "Enhanced Edition" in order to get more time on the front page of storefronts, for one thing). Warner Bros., in particular, got caught making explicit deals with Youtubers to send them advance copies of, IIRC, one of the Middle Earth games, in exchange for uncritical praise. I'll wait to see the reviews from people who had to buy the game themselves.

I don't think there was any coverage deal, they're both pretty critical of any issues they find and Slandered was very critical of the Wrath beta to the point of saying outright he didn't see how they could possibly fix it in time for release.

Also I think they both mention they have no access to anything past Act 3, and to take that into consideration wrt their reviews on the game.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 8, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zephro posted:

So what's the general consensus on this based on the beta? I've not played any Owlcat games before so I don't know what to expect specifically from them, but I've played plenty of RPGs. I'm fine with jank and obscure systems if the underlying game is a good one. Does it look like it'll be worth buying?

Based on the beta it actually does look like I would want to buy it but legit every owlcat game has been a broken mess on release, in all likelihood it isn't going to be fixed until at least a month into 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Based on the beta it actually does look like I would want to buy it but legit every owlcat game has been a broken mess on release, in all likelihood it isn't going to be fixed until at least a month into 2024

Yes, normally the beta is 3/4 of the game, this looks like maybe 1/2, and on launch the non-beta parts of the game have serious problems, the first few weeks are a mad scramble by owlcat to push out patches to fix game breaking bugs, and to then fix the other game breaking bugs those fixes caused.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Zore posted:

Still think its bullshit we didn't get a Freeboota companion but someone got stuck with an even more party-unfriendly Dark Eldar.

Owlcat are coward :colbert:

Only a tiny fraction of the imperium knows that there's a difference between craftworld eldar and dark eldar, even fewer can reliably tell them apart.

Unless you run into ordo xenos inquisitors, powerful planetary governors or space marines that have regularly fought both there's zero difference having the dark eldar is going to make over a "normal" eldar, and I would be shocked if the DE companion isn't going to play into tricking people to make them think they're a less dangerous version.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Isn't it eldar corsairs that the average imperial subject would be (relatively) most likely to have any experience with, among all the eldar factions? Afaik they are not that different from dark eldar in the areas that a survivor of their raids would know about, so there's not really anything an eldar can do to make a better impression on humans. They'll assume the worst already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The vast, vast majority of humanity have absolutely no clue what Eldar are, and have never seen or heard of a Drukhari/Corsair/Swordwind/whatever raid. Most of humanity would just see them as some variety of abhuman/mutant, with individual responses predicated on that. You're talking base minimum in the Imperial Guard that they'd be known as an alien, if likely not differentiating between the varieties. For higher ups in the Guard, as well as Space Marines, it's more of a crapshoot whether they recognize the difference - some are very familiar with the differences, some don't really differentiate. I'd assume individuals in the Ordo Xenos (and to a lesser extent in the others) would generally have at least some knowledge of the differences in general.