Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why cant they fire the gun with like a robot arm sticking out of a roomba? where is boston dynamics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

Imagine being punched in the head repeatedly by a heavyweight boxer. But it's the concussion from your artillery because cost cutting and physics.

This is what they took from you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryshe_JVOkY

Real hurthling! posted:

why cant they fire the gun with like a robot arm sticking out of a roomba? where is boston dynamics?

Electronic firing has proven to be a problem with lots and lots of money thrown down the drain chasing that dream.

I guess electronic firing where remote control arm jerks a lanyard would be... shockingly doable...though.

It goes back to... this isn't new.

In fact, people used to make fun of ... well, the Germans for trying to have a lightweight, high powered, gun in WW2, and all of the poo poo they had to do to make it workable(ish).

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Nov 7, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

It is pretty much a series of heavy concussions that pulverize the brain. The West is very stubborn about pretending that constantly knocking your grey matter into the side of your skull is some type of great mystery.

Also, using a giant lanyard probably looks terrible on photos and is going to lead to questions from the public why soldiers are hiding in a trench 30 meters from the gun they are firing.

They don't need to use a rope, just use a bluetooth button or something. Use your fingerprint login to add security.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

stephenthinkpad posted:

They don't need to use a rope, just use a bluetooth button or something. Use your fingerprint login to add security.

you're gonna be rich

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

you're gonna be rich

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
pairing my powerpoint clicker with the laptop and it explodes the room because i forgot to unpair the howitzer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

milspec logitech dongles ftw

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

desperatly turning your howitzer off and on again as shells rain down around you

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Hello my name is Jackie how can I help you today?"
"We are TAKING HEAVY FIRE *static* we need suppressive fires NOW *static* our position CANNOT HOLD"
"No problem, I'll just put you through to my supervisor, please hold the line!'

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Doing a 180 and doing a lil SMO against Israel for what they're doing in Gaza would probably solve our recruitment problems in a snap.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Always online smart artillery and DRM shells, by Hewlett Packard.

It'll still cause TBI on the users. That's a feature we just can't do without.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

DancingShade posted:

DRM shells, by Hewlett Packard.

i don't think those are compatible with the Keurig launcher system

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W36fc1m-mNQ

lol everybody learned the wrong lessons from Ukraine

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Great marketing for "skeletonized hummer".

Don't worry men just out drive the drones like in those video games.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I look forward to the jungle tank, which is just treads and open frame leaving the crew, gun and all the shells fully exposed.

Careful with that main gun men, you'll be right next to that concussive blast. If you get TBI fill out a form after you get back, okay?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Screaming eagles ghost recon advanced tactical strike battalion vs 69th guards motor rifle division, who would win??

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

"Alexa! Fire the howitzer at co-ordinates 13-Alpha Seven!"
"Firing gun at co-ordinates 30-Alpha Seven."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Screaming eagles ghost recon advanced tactical strike battalion vs 69th guards motor rifle division, who would win??

Italian army from the 1930s would win, with their leftover WW1 gear.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, more "scouts", even if they end up all being drone operators you don't need to design a battalion around them.

The concept is just for death squads to roam around Latin America and the Philippines.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

They know that jungles are thick with undergrowth and debris right? Unless you are using known paths which would be a stupid place to drive through if you are trying to be stealthy.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

https://i.imgur.com/cuu4jq6.mp4

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Also, more "scouts", even if they end up all being drone operators you don't need to design a battalion around them.

The concept is just for death squads to roam around Latin America and the Philippines.

Honestly if I was assembling death squads I'd just use hiluxes in regular civilian colours.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The SF guys in Afghanistan were always getting hurt loving around with their John Deere Gators / Polaris whatever the fuckevers.

People seem to really like the idea of "Go-Kart, but worse" though. It was only a matter of time until we saw that spread to the rest of the military.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Honestly if I was assembling death squads I'd just use hiluxes in regular civilian colours.

That doesn't sound like it involves a lot of grift

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

People seem to really like the idea of "Go-Kart, but worse" though. It was only a matter of time until we saw that spread to the rest of the military.

This one definitely looks like the most fun. It has a long wheel and you can press the "x" button for a nitro boost

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

I remember nerds talking endless poo poo about the Warthog in Halo because it makes no sense to have a military combat vehicle without any armor.

Gripweed has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Nov 7, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This is concept art for Mad Max or possibly Fallout.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

The SF guys in Afghanistan were always getting hurt loving around with their John Deere Gators / Polaris whatever the fuckevers.

I've seen more parks workers injure themselves in gators than any other equipment. Does that make us tier 1 hsld operators?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gripweed posted:

I remember nerds talking endless poo poo about the Warthog in Halo because it makes no sense to have a military combat vehicle without any armor.

the halo guys are armored so their car can just be a party ride

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Not if you don't have the soundtrack playing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's just guys wanting to drive around in a car.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Real hurthling! posted:

the halo guys are armored so their car can just be a party ride

The Warthog actually has way more protection than that thing, it has a windshield and covers your legs

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ughhhh posted:

I've seen more parks workers injure themselves in gators than any other equipment. Does that make us tier 1 hsld operators?

They put government plates on it and everything, it was so loving stupid

Canadian military suspends use of Gator vehicle in Afghanistan

After Wednesday's blast, Brig.-Gen. Tim Grant, commander of Canada's troops in Afghanistan, said the all-terrain vehicle the soldiers were riding in was "appropriate for the task at hand."

The Gator can handle rough, muddy terrain andis often used by soldiers to transport small loads. The stretch of road where the blast occurred this week was the only area in Panjwaii that the military had deemed safe enough for itsuse.

The military thought its combat operations and reconstruction work had made the area secure enough to replace soldiers on foot patrol with the Gators for supply runs. Villagers had moved back to the district and schools had reopened after Operation Medusa.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Italian army from the 1930s would win, with their leftover WW1 gear.

Luigi look! Their armoured car is even worse than ours - it has no armour at all!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Not if you don't have the soundtrack playing

exactly, the warthog runs were badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgfV2MW5Tic

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone wants armed light buggies to live out their halo fantasy. Brushing over the bit where John halo was more bulletproof than the Terminator.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://youtu.be/HAIPI5s5qf4

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
oh man please don’t look up the Chinese airborne atvs. awfully cute but not sure about their utility.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

GlassEye-Boy posted:

oh man please don’t look up the Chinese airborne atvs. awfully cute but not sure about their utility.

They look fine to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like the kind of terrain where the logistical equation shifts away from vehicle fuel and maintenance and towards fodder and farriers