Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I more meant has anyone discussed this in terms of Japanese sentence structure, translation, etc. Because to me it reads like the original was made worse when it was put into English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The translation of the title was always going to be rough because it's basically a pun/double meaning that only works if you are fluent in Japanese. The word "attack" is not really even in there. It's more like "Advancing" or "always moving forward" with one meaning being giants that are marching forward and the second meaning being Eren's titan being the "moving forward" titan. But again, that loses the subtleties of the actual Japanese pun.

Maera Sior posted:

I more meant has anyone discussed this in terms of Japanese sentence structure, translation, etc. Because to me it reads like the original was made worse when it was put into English.

The uproar at the Manga ending was mostly with English readers. As I recall, most Japanese fans liked the ending. The original English translations of the final chapter were rough, so I think we didn't get the full meaning of Armin's last line to Eren.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 6, 2023

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Maera Sior posted:

Somewhat? I don't know the specifics of how that line works in Japanese. The way the conversation blows past it is kind of inherently sloppy, and the anime taking more time to address Armin's complicated feelings just makes it better in general.
Early translations had Reiner's reaction to the whole thing was something like, "Eren, what a man you are!" Which is a pretty sloppy translation of a sentence that was likely meant to convey "you son of a bitch." But it was the first thing folks saw and it stuck. That one I blame on the translators.
Folks were rushing out translations for the final chapter, for obvious reasons.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Some might say, Eren was the coolest guy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

No Wave posted:

Am I understanding that you wanted Levi to die because it would be a happier ending for the character?

I think it was more a function of coming off the heels of Hange's epic sacrifice combined with him seeing his cohort/friends like her but then...not...succumbing to his wounds. Just felt mixed.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just for fun, here's some AoT fanart I found in my yard after a big storm in early 2022.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I think it was more a function of coming off the heels of Hange's epic sacrifice combined with him seeing his cohort/friends like her but then...not...succumbing to his wounds. Just felt mixed.

I figured he was going to make it through the whole thing after seeing how maimed he was, because there's nothing like pissing off the fans while still pointing out that the character is alive. I had assumed someone else would die though, and I'm a bit disappointed that everyone else made it out.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I found this new post on *shudders* Reddit that does a good job of explaining why people were down on the ending: https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/comments/17p2fqw/attack_on_titans_ending_explained_why_its/

It's looooooong, but basically it's a combo of that Armin/Eren conversation plus everyone already having fan-fic'd their own endings and were pissed that something different happened. Honestly a lot of them sound insane.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There is a non zero amount of people who thought the manga should end with Eren succeeding and they never forgave Isayama for telling them that genocide is not actually good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Alan_Shore posted:

I found this new post on *shudders* Reddit that does a good job of explaining why people were down on the ending: https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/comments/17p2fqw/attack_on_titans_ending_explained_why_its/

It's looooooong, but basically it's a combo of that Armin/Eren conversation plus everyone already having fan-fic'd their own endings and were pissed that something different happened. Honestly a lot of them sound insane.
Reasonable depiction of the craziness. It is hard to explain how deeply invested some manga readers were in Eren not liking Mikasa. We're talking years and years of posts.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 6, 2023

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I mean yeah, there wasn't much from Eren's end at all but it wasn't hard to believe plus I read that it being Japanese, the bit where Eren says he'll wrap the scarf around her as many times as she wants it is basically a love confession.

I think people REALLY don't like contradictions. They want everything to be neatly wrapped up. Look at Eren. It is not easy to wrap up his character. He's an absolute mess, with thousands of years of memories existing all at once. This is where people get shocked that he flipped from a "giga chad" (he NEVER was) to a "whiny kid". He's still a kid! He always has been. His motivations, fate/free will, his "plan", it's not bad writing or poor characterisation, but it's not black and white and some people haaaaaate that.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

I was just looking at that and seriously wtf people. You don't get to write your fanfic that "fixes" things in the middle of the story and then whine when the writer says "No, that wasn't the story I wanted to tell."

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

I got to the part where he mentions he's doing his own "re-write" and I closed it out. There was hundreds of these people when the manga ending dropped that decided to go back and re-write the series so it ended with their fan theories. I stop reading their stuff because they usually are missing a fundamental part of the themes of the story, which is why they think their re-writes make sense.

To put things into context (and I know people have already mentioned this), the original penultimate chapter ended with Mikasa kissing Eren's head with Ymir in the background as its final frame. The entire final chapter was Armin and Eren's conversation, all the titans becoming human again, and the epilogue with Historia's letter and Armin finishing things up as the story's narrator with his final monologue. The last few frames were Mikasa under the tree with the final line being Mikasa thanking Eren for wrapping the scarf around her neck as we see the bird fly past the frame. The biggest issue with this original ending was that it got fan-translated very quickly and people read these before the original translation, and there were some hilarious stinkers that stuck with people even after the real translations came out. I think also, a lot of stuff that would have been more nuanced in the original Japanese got translated very weirdly, and since the final chapter was entirely dialogue and no action, it landed like a wet thud within the English-language fandom. There just weren't enough panels to fit everything, and so we kind of felt like something was missing and that Eren got left off too light in the end. The SECOND version of the ending was basically the same except it added in the panels of Paradis building up and then being torn down again along with the shots of Mikasa living on well past Eren and starting her own family. This was the point in the manga thread where I personally was fine with the ending, because I saw the bigger picture of how really none of the stuff Eren did really fundamentally changed the problems with the world. With just a few extra frames, Eren's efforts were recontextualized into being the pointless gestures that they were. The anime ending of course improved on everything and even included Armin basically telling Eren "I'll see you in Hell." which was a nice touch.

A lot of people were kind of upset that Eren's final moments with Armin were so pathetic. Getting knocked on his rear end in a pool of water, crying about how he doesn't want the girl he rejected over and over to forget about him basically shattered the "Chad Eren" image people had about him. The thing is, that image was never real in the first place. Post time-skip we never get to hear Eren's thoughts. He is always this brooding, mostly silent person. This allowed us to think that he had some grand plan in mind that he was just keeping secret, when the truth is that the dumbass that party-wiped his own trainee squad in season 1, and goes berserk more often than EVA-01 did not, in fact, have a good plan. Bravo to the anime for making that poo poo even more fundamentally clear. The guy was always a stupid, violent, shithead. His plan was bad, and his excuses about doing it to save his friends were as hollow as Walter White's excuses in "Breaking Bad" about doing everything "for his family".

No Wave posted:

Reasonable depiction of the craziness. It is hard to explain how deeply invested some manga readers were in Eren not liking Mikasa. We're talking years and years of posts.

To give these people the benefit of the doubt, if you re-watch this show from the beginning, then Eren is a supremely huge douche-bag to Mikasa for most of the early seasons. Like serious, just re-watch it and see how poorly he treats her. Basically, either the dude didn't know she liked him OR he was a giant piece of poo poo who was aware of it but still treated the girl he liked and who loved him like trash. I think people wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, when the truth is that he WAS just a abusive shithead with a few redeeming qualities who ultimately needed to be severed from Mikasa's life.

Alan_Shore posted:

While I watch videos titled HOW EREN WAS NEVER FREE and WHAT IF ERWIN HAD THE COLOSSAL TITAN, can manga readers fill the anime watchers in on cool stories? Like wild theories as they read, changes from the anime, Isayame interviews, I don't know I just want to hear it all!

The fan theory that seemed most alive in the SA manga thread was that Historia's child was Eren's, and that they had secretly hooked up during the time-skip, and that everything he was doing was to insure his kid's future. Let me be clear, there is absolutely no evidence of any of this in the manga or the anime. When the manga ending dropped there were at least a few posters who were writing up conspiracy theories about how the author must have been forced by his superiors to change the ending to make Eren love Mikasa instead of Historia. At least one manga poster was trying to convince people that it was Eren's kid in this thread I believe AFTER the manga had already ended. As the final parts of the anime aired over the last few years, they were still waiting for the inevitable changes where the true ending would be revealed. About 24 hours ago, there was still a poster in the manga thread claiming that the Eren/Historia content must have originally been there in an original draft but then got cut for some reason. To me, it's one of the more wild theories because even the "Mikasa is experiencing multiple timelines" theory is backed up a little by one of the OVAs, while there is no evidence that Historia and Eren ever hosed anywhere in the manga or anime. Again, it also misses the theme of the story, where Eren is taking up the role of the abusive male figure in Mikasa's life that Fritze held in Ymir's.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 6, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So with the reference to Star of David patches, is it fair to say the relationship between Marley and Eldians is meant to be compared to modern day Israel and Palestine? I’m trying to line up the idea of a once oppressed people gaining power and oppressing others but not sure if I’m shoehorning a round peg into a square hole

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

quote:

His plan was bad, and his excuses about doing it to save his friends were as hollow as Walter White's excuses in "Breaking Bad" about doing everything "for his family".

The other side (i.e., Marley and the rest of the world) declared war on Paradis and wanted to exterminate all of the Eldians. Eren figured that only by equalizing the fight there could be an opportunity for peace (at least throughout the lifetime of his friends). If Eren had not done what he did, him and his friends would have been killed, as well as the entire population of what had been his world for the majority of his life. If I recall correctly, he also waited until Marley explicitly confirmed they were going to wage war on Paradis (even after everything they had already done) before starting the rumbling.

I mean, yeah, genocide is horrible and obviously there is no way anyone can say 'Eren made the right choice'. However, if the entire world declared war on a country and said country had such powerful weapons, do we really expect that country to not use them and surrender to being exterminated instead? Not to get political here but the same argument can be had about the nukes that were dropped to end World War 2 and other currently ongoing conflicts.

I just don't think his 'excuses' were hollow at all.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

He is going to hell for genocide (which is wrong)

Perhaps Isayama needed to be more explicit

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

So with the reference to Star of David patches, is it fair to say the relationship between Marley and Eldians is meant to be compared to modern day Israel and Palestine? I’m trying to line up the idea of a once oppressed people gaining power and oppressing others but not sure if I’m shoehorning a round peg into a square hole

Nah, one of the kernels the story is built around is Isayama basically trying to figure out how a Japanese man born in the 1980's should feel about the actions of the Imperial Japanese Army in WW2. He dresses it up in early 20th century central European aesthetics, but the story really is about Japan and its relationship with its closest Asian neighbors who were brutalized during WW2 by the Japanese. Paradis is an island nation without an army, surrounded by mainland nations that it legitimately exploited and brutalized during its imperial conquests, and the people of the island have no memory of these atrocities and feel like they should not be responsible for their effects since they were born after they were committed. He buries the lede really deep because its not the most popular topic in Japan, but it's all there if you look.

I mentioned this a long time ago in the manga thread, but a lot of people in Asia do not know the full cultural weight of the symbols we associate with Nazi Germany and similar fascist European powers. It goes both ways, of course, as lots of Western karate dojos will fly the goddamn Imperial Japanese war flag without realizing that it has the same baggage for some Asian nations as the swastika does for Europeans. I honestly don't think he had a super great grasp of the cultural baggage behind the Star of David beyond a mostly intellectual grasp of how it was used to mark Jewish people as being separate from their gentile neighbors. The idea that people might carry that forward to associate the Eldians as Jews I don't think really crossed his mind initially.

The overall message definitely resonates with things like Israel and Palestine, because the general message of "conflict is inevitable, but fighting violence with worse violence will never solve conflict" basically resonates with most long standing conflicts throughout human history.

rkd_ posted:

The other side (i.e., Marley and the rest of the world) declared war on Paradis and wanted to exterminate all of the Eldians. Eren figured that only by equalizing the fight there could be an opportunity for peace (at least throughout the lifetime of his friends). If Eren had not done what he did, him and his friends would have been killed, as well as the entire population of what had been his world for the majority of his life. If I recall correctly, he also waited until Marley explicitly confirmed they were going to wage war on Paradis (even after everything they had already done) before starting the rumbling.

I mean, yeah, genocide is horrible and obviously there is no way anyone can say 'Eren made the right choice'. However, if the entire world declared war on a country and said country had such powerful weapons, do we really expect that country to not use them and surrender to being exterminated instead? Not to get political here but the same argument can be had about the nukes that were dropped to end World War 2 and other currently ongoing conflicts.

Sigh. Genocide is wrong. Lets start there.

There was never just two choices, kill or be killed. Armin slamming his fists into the ocean of blood damning Eren for reducing the world to these two choices while ignoring the slim hope of peace should make that clear. Eren's friends wanted to try for peace. Armin believed that he could find a way to make it work, but Eren never respected his friends enough to let them try. He had a very childish understanding of friendship, and ultimately did a disservice to his friends by taking away their agency and forcing them to live with his atrocity.

EDIT: The entire idea behind Eren's actions is that Isayama is showing an absolutely absurd solution to the concept for world conflict. We have this engrained idea that if we can just beat our enemies hard enough, then THIS time they won't come back and hurt us again. Isayama is basically pushing the idea of ramping up violence to its natural conclusion. It's ridiculous because its supposed to make you stop and say, "Well of course killing everyone on Earth but my friends is not a viable solution for World Peace." and then make you think about, "Well...then exactly how many deaths are okay before you pass that threshold?"

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 7, 2023

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

no, its blood libel stuff where people hold the cognitive dissonance of "jews are subhuman rats that need to be cleansed but also controlling everything with rituals involving our innocent babies and flesh and blood dont trust (((them)))". theyre meant to simultaneously be oppressed and oppressor, not one thing at one time and then becoming the other thing later.

im one of the people that did not like the ending, or the story in general, but the anime version does at least improve the finale from "this sucks and is bewildering how it got printed" to "this sucks to me" which is a big jump imo. i honestly didnt think they were going to really change anything about it, but the punting foward of war returning and the conversation changes are genuinely better. the 9/11 being what sparks everything again is very funny though, it kind of read like that terrorism was somehow performed in a vacuum which is...not how it works??? its a subtle admission that there wasnt peace, just Not War, which are not the same thing at all. imperialism, colonialism, broad injustice continued on as normal, it just didnt cost everyone their lives for a long time. maybe for some people thats enough, but a better world is possible and aot has never been too interested in interrogating that concept beyond immediate concerns of "my friends are being eaten"

also to the above poster that was talking about "oh people didnt like the final conversation because it was hastily translated" if youre trying to throw a smokescreen for the "thank you for killing everyone for our sake" line, that was a verbatim translation, attached is the raw of the chapter

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3416034&pagenumber=493&perpage=40#post519341791

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

rkd_ posted:

Lol “however”

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Truly cannot imagine following a story that you do not care for for over 10 years.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Also that scene in the end credits is very clearly a helicopter being shot down, and not 9/11ing the tower in the background.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

Also that scene in the end credits is very clearly a helicopter being shot down, and not 9/11 the tower in the background.

Yeah, I re-watched it again, and it's clearly the start of an air raid. The tower never shows any damage after the explosion.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the insight, guys

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean right off the top of my head, instead of waiting for the entire world to be united against Paradis, Eren could've tried to connect with Zeke during the Mid-East War on the side of the Mid-East Allied Forces, supporting those nations in exchange for some kind of alliance while also weakening Marley's hold over the world.

There were options. And there were people that didn't hate Paradis, maybe not many in positions of power, but that doesn't mean their lives don't count. The entire point of Ramzi, Halil and their people is to illustrate 1) There are other people who have been victimized by Marley that didn't give a poo poo about where Eren and his friends came from, they just wanted to live their own lives, 2) Eren did it cause he wanted to. He wasn't forced into it by Marley, he wasn't forced into it by a time loop. Eren did the Rumbling cause Eren wanted to do the Rumbling.

Robert Caro said,, "What I believe is always true about power is that power always reveals. When you have enough power to do what you always wanted to do, then you see what the guy always wanted to do."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

rkd_ posted:

I agree, I don't see what they could have done, but it's true they never did try to negotiate.

Thats why Marco is so important (honestly, one of the most important characters). His last words were: "2e never even talked it through."

I don't think that's an accident.

But man I was right there WHOOPING AND HOLLERING as Eren tore that poo poo up in Liberio. drat what a ride that was!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Armin's partial rumbling might have been a start. Crush the military alliance, but then immediately follow it up with "ok now can we all just take a step back and resasses here"

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

Truly cannot imagine following a story that you do not care for for over 10 years.

for what its worth, i came into it after the basement reveal at the insistence of a friend and wasnt like, actively posting or engaging with it outside of reading a batch of chapters once every 6-8 months when id remember

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There was never just two choices, kill or be killed. Armin slamming his fists into the ocean of blood damning Eren for reducing the world to these two choices while ignoring the slim hope of peace should make that clear. Eren's friends wanted to try for peace. Armin believed that he could find a way to make it work, but Eren never respected his friends enough to let them try. He had a very childish understanding of friendship, and ultimately did a disservice to his friends by taking away their agency and forcing them to live with his atrocity.

I'd say it's a bit deeper than that, and it's all summed up with the first fight against Annie. He trusted his comrades, and everyone got butchered. That changed everything for him, and he vowed to never let his friends fight his battles again and to only trust himself. It's true that in that moment he did make a mistake in trusting his comrades over himself, but he's so stubborn that he dogmatically stuck to this belief for the rest of his life.

That's a great scene actually, with Levi saying "I don't know the answer. I never have." drat I love Levi. The characters in this are top tier, the writing is incredible.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Erwin would have avoided the rumbling. He would have made allies, thought 3 steps ahead, and kept everything to his chest. Would have obliterated Marley with his chad ways. Sad to say Levi made the wrong choice (I love Armin though)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Armin's partial rumbling might have been a start. Crush the military alliance, but then immediately follow it up with "ok now can we all just take a step back and resasses here"
Yeah I think it's fairly obvious that Paradis could've won a war with the rest of the world without massacring billions - we were even presented with a plan prior to the Jaegerist coup where they smash the enemy military and then maintain the titan bloodline as a deterrent. This solution was unacceptable to Eren because it would've lead to his friends making sacrifices (and, to my mind, leave Ymir a slave to Fritz and himself a slave to an already known future). He really should've reached a compromise that was better for humanity (as all his friends did by working together and killing him) but Eren is very stubborn and stupid.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Saagonsa posted:

Also that scene in the end credits is very clearly a helicopter being shot down, and not 9/11ing the tower in the background.

Don't take this away from us.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Sigh. Genocide is wrong. Lets start there.

EDIT: The entire idea behind Eren's actions is that Isayama is showing an absolutely absurd solution to the concept for world conflict. We have this engrained idea that if we can just beat our enemies hard enough, then THIS time they won't come back and hurt us again. Isayama is basically pushing the idea of ramping up violence to its natural conclusion. It's ridiculous because its supposed to make you stop and say, "Well of course killing everyone on Earth but my friends is not a viable solution for World Peace." and then make you think about, "Well...then exactly how many deaths are okay before you pass that threshold?"

Of course, I agree. The story is a good illustration that fear of 'the other side' and constant war-waging is a race to the bottom and that you will never gain world peace by doing what Eren did (and what Marley wanted to do). This kill-or-be-killed mentality ruins any hope for (lasting) peace, and the final scenes of the anime also show that human nature unfortunately will eventually always revert to that mentality, as we've also seen throughout the show, e.g. the war declaration after the failure of the Paradis Island Operation. The only thing you may achieve is a temporary form of peace for your own generation, but is that worth the cost?

My issue is more with the idea that Eren's excuses were hollow (especially compared to WW's in Breaking Bad). Armin's plan could only work if the people of Marley (and the rest of the world) were also willing to go with it, but I just don't really see any signs throughout the story that this would have been the case (until it's too late). It's sort of the prisoner's dilemma I suppose. I think the best option for peace was once Eren was in a position to start the Rumbling, but that is negotiating under threat which is probably also not conductive. I think that, as long as the Eldians had the power to turn into titans, peace negotiations were never a possibility. Besides the fear of what titans can do, the hatred of the Eldians instilled in everyone in Marley (and the Eldians second-class citizen classification) makes that pretty apparent in my opinion. I wonder, if Eren started the rumbling and then let himself be killed to kill the bacteria thing and end the titan-curse, would Marleyans be happy to negotiate peace with the Eldians?

MJeff posted:

I mean right off the top of my head, instead of waiting for the entire world to be united against Paradis, Eren could've tried to connect with Zeke during the Mid-East War on the side of the Mid-East Allied Forces, supporting those nations in exchange for some kind of alliance while also weakening Marley's hold over the world.

There were options. And there were people that didn't hate Paradis, maybe not many in positions of power, but that doesn't mean their lives don't count. The entire point of Ramzi, Halil and their people is to illustrate 1) There are other people who have been victimized by Marley that didn't give a poo poo about where Eren and his friends came from, they just wanted to live their own lives, 2) Eren did it cause he wanted to. He wasn't forced into it by Marley, he wasn't forced into it by a time loop. Eren did the Rumbling cause Eren wanted to do the Rumbling.

Robert Caro said,, "What I believe is always true about power is that power always reveals. When you have enough power to do what you always wanted to do, then you see what the guy always wanted to do."

Sure, but I don't think uniting with some countries to kill slightly less of the world's population makes the plan *that* much better. I agree though that Eren was also fueled by revenge, anger, and who knows what other emotions. I think you can recognize those feelings as valid without condoning the actions they inspire though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

christmas boots posted:

The issue with that is that it re-starts the cycle of passing down Titans via children eating their parents again, which was the whole reason Eren rejected the limited Rumbling plan. Also, even besides that, the limited Rumbling plan was extremely fragile, because for it to work, you have to have the threat of the Rumbling acting as a deterrent for decades and it's reliant on two people (the Founder and the Titan with royal blood) passing down their titan, the latter within a specific family line, every 13 years and nothing ever happening to gently caress up either part of that equation. If you ever lose the Founding Titan or lose all of your people with royal blood, you no longer have access to the Rumbling and are completely defenseless. The Reiss' were able to pass down the Founding Titan for so long because of a great deal of subterfuge, you don't really have that advantage anymore once you stomp out the world's military. And even if you can conceal the requirement to activate the Founding Titan so your enemies don't know that they need to go after Zeke/Historia and/or their children, Eren is the most famous, most wanted man in the world and will have assassins coming after him 24/7.

As horrifying as Zeke and Eren's plans were, in different ways, the one thing both of them aimed for that Armin wasn't even able to perceive as the root problem was "get rid of the Titans". Maybe the real answer here is "we need to get the Founding Titan onto a licensed therapist and just have them talk to Ymir for a while." :v:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

rkd_ posted:

Of course, I agree. The story is a good illustration that fear of 'the other side' and constant war-waging is a race to the bottom and that you will never gain world peace by doing what Eren did (and what Marley wanted to do). This kill-or-be-killed mentality ruins any hope for (lasting) peace, and the final scenes of the anime also show that human nature unfortunately will eventually always revert to that mentality, as we've also seen throughout the show, e.g. the war declaration after the failure of the Paradis Island Operation. The only thing you may achieve is a temporary form of peace for your own generation, but is that worth the cost?

My issue is more with the idea that Eren's excuses were hollow (especially compared to WW's in Breaking Bad). Armin's plan could only work if the people of Marley (and the rest of the world) were also willing to go with it, but I just don't really see any signs throughout the story that this would have been the case (until it's too late). It's sort of the prisoner's dilemma I suppose. I think the best option for peace was once Eren was in a position to start the Rumbling, but that is negotiating under threat which is probably also not conductive. I think that, as long as the Eldians had the power to turn into titans, peace negotiations were never a possibility. Besides the fear of what titans can do, the hatred of the Eldians instilled in everyone in Marley (and the Eldians second-class citizen classification) makes that pretty apparent in my opinion. I wonder, if Eren started was also fueled by revenge, anger, and who knows what other emotions. I think you can recognize those feelings as valid without condoning the actions they inspire though.

Here's a third option: Destroy the armies and major bases, leave the civilians alone. Eren could have broken their ability to fight without doing the associated war crimes. It doesn't matter what the other countries want if they don't have the soldiers, ships, or planes.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 7, 2023

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008
Aren't all eldians the direct descendants of Ymir? Wouldn't they all have royal blood?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

icecastle posted:

Aren't all eldians the direct descendants of Ymir? Wouldn't they all have royal blood?

I’m guessing it’s traced down specifically through the daughter that inherited the Founding Titan, probably the oldest. At the end of the day I think it’s all just a self-imposed mental block for Ymir anyway so it’s based on what she thinks the definition is

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

icecastle posted:

I think the implication is that non-royal Eldians were descendants of the other members of Ymir's tribe.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I appreciated that they refined the ending compared to the source material to clear up some clumsy dialogue and storytelling choices. It's still a series filled with "oh, they're really going to use that imagery? And do that?" But I think its heart was in the right place? At least the production values certainly delivered.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The “Schindler’s List” scene with the baby was hard to process after seeing everything coming out of Gaza for the last month. That moment is sticking out in my mind despite it having some catharsis.

It strikes me that the author is probably talking to his Jaegerist fans when Eren says that he did the genocide because he was a big dumb and too stupid to come up with anything better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Finally had a chance to watch the series finale earlier. As an anime only watcher, I am satisfied but this is all very bittersweet. Post-credits, I had to remind myself that I started watching this show back in 2013. It's been such a wild ride that for a moment I had forgot ~10 years have gone by. I'm finding it very hard to process my feelings about the show ending lol.