Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Popete posted:

Do whatever MicroProse is doing cause they've been hitting it out of the park so far.

Sure are - and it's been that way since the '90s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Major Isoor posted:

I refuse to forgive them until we get a Darklands sequel :colbert:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

quote:

Paradox Interactive CEO Frederik Wester has revealed that the troubled release led to cancelled projects and a refocus on quality at the Swedish publisher.

"We're not going to have any more games that are unplayable at release."

Gettysburg: Armored Warfare. 2013

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Major Isoor posted:

Pretty sure the current MicroProse is a company that resurrected the brand and has no continuity with the original one though?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

Pretty sure the current MicroProse is a company that resurrected the brand and has no continuity with the original one though?

It's owned and run by the same guy who bought the brand name back from Atari. That's part of why they've been so instantly successful, David Lagettie has a very long history of publishing and selling video wargames and it looks like he went right back to the old winning formula.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Mmm, I have sweet memories of OG MicroProse because :corsair: -- those were some well crafted games back then

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

It's owned and run by the same guy who bought the brand name back from Atari. That's part of why they've been so instantly successful, David Lagettie has a very long history of publishing and selling video wargames and it looks like he went right back to the old winning formula.

finally, a benevolent oligarch

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

finally, a benevolent oligarch

don't be too quick, this is how we got curt schiling (who brought advanced squad leader back before being a nazi full time)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I loaded up EU4 once a couple of weeks ago to check out the state of the game and ever since then I've had daily emails from Paradox (that I've been too lazy to turn off) promoting the game to me.

I know I should and will turn them off myself, but jesus christ Paradox you have the default dial turned up to 11 on how regularly I want that 'buy our stuff' email.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive have some hundreds of hours on EU4 but I stopped playing some years ago, so I have no idea how is the game now but I know Im some dozens of DLCs behind

Suppose I wanted to go back to it, what DLCs you people think are really essential?

I only have these:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'll be honest, I think the $5 expansion pass is the best thing they've ever done for EUIV.

If you're just dipping back into it you're probably not going to do so for more than a month anyway (or if you do, it's probably earned another $5 at that point), so it's way better value than buying expansions piecemeal.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jabor posted:

I'll be honest, I think the $5 expansion pass is the best thing they've ever done for EUIV.

If you're just dipping back into it you're probably not going to do so for more than a month anyway (or if you do, it's probably earned another $5 at that point), so it's way better value than buying expansions piecemeal.

I dont know about that, is like a subscription?

About the time Ill be playing, might be just a few games or I might get hooked again. I have some 300 hours before

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A subscription, yeah. Pay up, have every expansion until it expires, then back to what you had before.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know about that, is like a subscription?

About the time Ill be playing, might be just a few games or I might get hooked again. I have some 300 hours before

I've paid for the HOI4 subscription and I think it's a fine setup when you have lots of DLC.

HOI4 is my most played game in Steam so it's quite reliably worth it, but even so I have put it on hold for several months in the past. Like it was on hold for probably 3-4 months before the latest DLC came out and now I paid again to play the new stuff.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lobsterminator posted:

I've paid for the HOI4 subscription and I think it's a fine setup when you have lots of DLC.

HOI4 is my most played game in Steam so it's quite reliably worth it, but even so I have put it on hold for several months in the past. Like it was on hold for probably 3-4 months before the latest DLC came out and now I paid again to play the new stuff.

Yeah, I guess Ill do that.

Buying all the DLCs I dont have would be like 150 dollars, so even I play for many months, 5 a month is still cheaper

edit: no, actually is more like 50, counting only the expansions

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Elias_Maluco posted:

Suppose I wanted to go back to it, what DLCs you people think are really essential?

The good thing is that Paradox switched DLC model some time ago and they don't push essential feautures into the DLCs anymore. I think the biggest one you're missing is Rights of Man, it adds ruler personalities, diplomatic macrobuilder and eras. There's also Leviathan. It adds on-map Great Projects, which are basically Civilization-style wonders of the world giving interesting bonuses if you fulfill some conditions (usually culture and religion making sure you don't have too many of them active at once) and spend a fortune on building them. But you might not miss them if you have a distaste for magical bonuses.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I know they already added an option to queue your Military Industrial Organization upgrades, but they are still an annoyingly common thing. And because they pop up so often you just pretty much click on them randomly after a while because they are annoying.

There are so many things that would be noticed/fixed by playing the game once or twice, but Paradox doesn't seem to do that.

Like this nuclear bomb counter. It's been like this since the beginning. Why does it have to be a tiny fixed field that always has the ellipsis when there's tons of room around it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Probably because no one plays long enough to get more than one or two bombs. I personally haven't used a bomb in years because I win the war by 1942 or 43. I don't remember the last time I built jets either.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Probably because no one plays long enough to get more than one or two bombs. I personally haven't used a bomb in years because I win the war by 1942 or 43. I don't remember the last time I built jets either.

I admit I am bad at games and I don't win the war as any country by 43. Like I have lots of games that have gone into 50s until I get bored. I doubt I am the only one in the last 10 years. So even if you reach that state once a year, it would be a lot of games since launch and it's a tiny fix.

And to make clear that was a screenshot from google. The ellipsis thing happens when bombs reach 10 I believe. It has the number of bombs and the number of plants.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, but ending the war by 42 is not that hard. I can consistently do it by 40 if I'm playing sweaty.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Fair enough, but ending the war by 42 is not that hard. I can consistently do it by 40 if I'm playing sweaty.

I'm playing the US currently and it's 42 and I'm not even in the war yet. I tend to play relatively historically.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

lobsterminator posted:

I'm playing the US currently and it's 42 and I'm not even in the war yet. I tend to play relatively historically.

I'm talking historical as well, starting the war in September 39 As either UK or Germany it's possible to end everything by Februrary/March of 40. My record was capitulating the Allies by March 40 with less than 20k casualties. Playing as the US is different, of course, but you can still finish things by late 40/early 41 with both Germany and Japan capitulated.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

that sounds really loving boring, and I dont even play hoi

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Playing the US historically is. Which is why you might want to investigate...alternate ideologies.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The fun part of HOI4 is the preparation for the inevitable. The actual war is just the necessary chore. US just has a bit more of the fun part.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't think I've ever built an atom bomb in hoi4

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

You could see the display not fitting your 4-digit (or higher) number of nuclear bombs not as a bug, but as the game telling you to please stop that's more than enough to end life on earth several times over.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

VostokProgram posted:

I don't think I've ever built an atom bomb in hoi4

You're not missing much, honestly. They're a huge investment for very little practical payoff.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

You're not missing much, honestly. They're a huge investment for very little practical payoff.

Yep, definitely not worthwhile, really. Still didn't stop a friend and I from making around thirty of them, then dropping them all on England and cornwall. (We left Scotland, Ireland and most of Wales intact, of course. We dropped four on London)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Yep, definitely not worthwhile, really. Still didn't stop a friend and I from making around thirty of them, then dropping them all on England and cornwall. (We left Scotland, Ireland and most of Wales intact, of course. We dropped four on London)

King

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Slightly odd gloat in a game with literal nazis in it but you do you

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Koramei posted:

Woah woah, hey, that was just dessert! We tore apart the fascists first, of course. (After that we sent a token force into the UK to capitulate them, then called it a day)
No need to take it quite so seriously - we sure didn't! :v:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Koramei posted:

DO BETTER PRAXIS CHUD

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Broke: Operation Unthinkable
Woke:

Major Isoor posted:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Someone remind me what time of day Paradox usually drop their patches on Steam, I can't remember the last time I was looking forward to a Paradox patch more than tomorrow's V3 patch

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Last time they dropped EU4 patch really early, before noon in Europe. Usually it's closer to 5 PM CEST.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's possible that nuking London is overall be positive for the environment.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Average Bear posted:

DO BETTER PRAXIS CHUD

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Do nukes in HoI4 actually have a strategic effect (lowering national unity or whatever), or are they just tactical where you use them to destroy the counters and infrastructure in the province you hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When I did my eu4 "aulde alliance reversed" run where I vassized France, as Scotland, as a side goal I culture converted every English province.