Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Chitin posted:

I know enough about lighting to know what most likely caused this and it is without a doubt emblematic of NFT Dunning Kreuger go fast and break stuff tech culture.

Can you say the likely cause? I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s known that they used (labeled) disinfectant-grade UV-C lamps as party lighting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stabby McDamage posted:

Can you say the likely cause? I'm curious.

100% someone set up lights that they thought looked cool because they were blue and didn't realize that they were uv lamps.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zoux posted:

That is literally the last color they should use

Red wouldn't be great either. Or brown. Or yellow. If you use the blue everybody thinks you're making a commercial for feminine hygiene products

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I been fried. all my apes cooked. my skin just fell off please help me.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I thought the fungible apes lolmines had been exhausted long ago. I shouldn't have doubted

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Putting my retinas on the block chain

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

bored apes cataract club

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

the author's name is arachnid penis poopoo

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Subjunctive posted:

It’s known that they used (labeled) disinfectant-grade UV-C lamps as party lighting.

Oh my god, I was thinking it was something more complex like "oh these UV lights used in entertainment are meant to be paired with xyz phosphor to give such-and-such cool effect" and they missed a step, not "they just used biomedical disinfection lamps".

:lol:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

Is it or are the articles just illustrated with photographs from the 2017 incident?

e: This is a low‐pressure mercury lamp all right, with no phosphor and no Wood’s glass.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Nov 6, 2023

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stabby McDamage posted:

Oh my god, I was thinking it was something more complex like "oh these UV lights used in entertainment are meant to be paired with xyz phosphor to give such-and-such cool effect" and they missed a step, not "they just used biomedical disinfection lamps".

:lol:

To be fair, if you had to be around a bunch of NFT enthusiasts you'd probably want plenty of disinfectant around too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Standing in front of a bunch of UV lights was the insane future torture that showed how depraved the villain was in that Stallone/Schwarzenegger movie Escape Plan and nft bros did it to themselves on purpose thats cool

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ha, I was just about to say "didn't we just have the UV lamp conversation already?" but that was the schadenfreude thread.

and then there's discussion about how when they filmed one of the Blade movies they did the same thing to themselves

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Nov 6, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can this world GET any funnier

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's about to if Trump doesn't shut up in his court case and the judge does the promised removal of him and drawing every negative inference that the judge can.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

TotalLossBrain posted:

Putting my retinas on the block chain

then it wont matter if the original retinas are destroyed, they will live forever, perfect and whole, on the blockchain

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Milo and POTUS posted:

The writers have really upped their game lately.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

King Carnivore posted:

then it wont matter if the original retinas are destroyed, they will live forever, perfect and whole, on the blockchain

UVC doesn’t destroy the retina because it doesn’t reach the retina.

It just scrambles the DNA in the top layers of your cornea, and the affected cells commit suicide.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/dumbmailguy/status/1721363401606328627?t=STEkzw4QT_BKPpPhTNr_Fw&s=19

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Yeah, it's either the disinfectant UV thing (most likely, especially since the same thing apparently happened in Hong Kong a couple years ago) OR they were using HMI lights (think a welding arc in a box) without bothering to put a lens on them. Or both. Either is incredibly lazy and stupid.

Chitin has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Nov 6, 2023

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Maybe someone had a trump-quality galaxy brain idea of “if we run these disinfectant lights, it’ll cut down on Covid/other viruses spread”.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

It’s actually a cool circumstance that someone gathered the last remaining holdouts of the profoundly moronic NFT grift and invited them all into one place to shine UV lasers directly into their corneas until they were in agony and possibly also gave them skin cancer. It really endcaps things properly

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Non-fungible tumors?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
master shake voice: a lotta y'all still don't get it...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Why not, they already know how to build rockets

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1721549511950999579

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm just surprised to learn the whole bored ape thing was still going.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

wash bucket posted:

This is a good summary of what those morons did: https://www.funraniumlabs.com/2023/11/ultraviolet-rant/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1721630265485746405

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I thought she died?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fighting in full makeup is IDF regulation 4 qt piez only?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JPrime posted:

This is a good summary of what those morons did: https://www.funraniumlabs.com/2023/11/ultraviolet-rant/

https://vxtwitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1721549511950999579?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1721689300193132834?s=20

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That person is 20 years to young for any of you. Is this why DiCaprio walks around an unstoned man? J'accuse, le publique is the real le de modd

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That person is 20 years to young for any of you. Is this why DiCaprio walks around an unstoned man? J'accuse, le publique is the real le de modd

Twenty years too young, that can't be right?
*Does mental arithmetic about how much older I am than someone doing their mandatory 2 years in the IDF*
gently caress, when did I get so old?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Jitin is giving it everything he's got.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Jitin is giving it everything he's got.

I don't think it'd work, but what The Value Formula is trying is similar to what I would default to, just spouting random facts like I'm Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

wash bucket posted:

early on in the article posted:

Melanoma City (not to be confused with Melbourne, FL or Australia).
Well, we do have the highest rates of skin cancer in the world! ...well not Melbourne, obviously, the weather's too poo poo, but the rest of the country!