Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Add another to the list of "ships lost to a country without a navy" for that Kerch shipyard strike earlier:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1721584186824196514?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
that kind of damage has to be approaching the point where it's more cost effective to scrap the ship and build a new one

i'm curious, does russia manage to get these kind of damaging hits on high value ukrainian military assets and ukraine is just better at information control, or is there really just some kind of ukrainian advantage when it comes to long range strikes (maybe western intelligence?)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

that kind of damage has to be approaching the point where it's more cost effective to scrap the ship and build a new one

i'm curious, does russia manage to get these kind of damaging hits on high value ukrainian military assets and ukraine is just better at information control, or is there really just some kind of ukrainian advantage when it comes to long range strikes (maybe western intelligence?)

Ukraine doesn't have big ships like this that can be easily threatened. Russia can't move these ships out of the Black Sea, where Ukraine can hit them, so they're continuously under threat. They want to build a new naval base in occupied Georgia but that's a little hilarious since the whole point of this war has been to protect their naval facilities in Crimea.

Russia does occasionally pull off a strike like this, like when they hit an awards ceremony and killed ~20 Ukrainian servicemen a week or so ago, but mostly they just shoot up apartment buildings.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That ship is brand new, too. If it's still floating, it could be repaired but in practice they'll probably tow it to a shipyard and park it next to the other ships that have been waiting for repairs for a decade, then strip it for parts to keep others of the class running.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

That ship is brand new, too. If it's still floating, it could be repaired but in practice they'll probably tow it to a shipyard and park it next to the other ships that have been waiting for repairs for a decade, then strip it for parts to keep others of the class running.

It is still floating. Don't need to tow it much, either, it was at a shipyard when it was hit....

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I wish the Ukrainians had the ability to hit the command and supply positions around Avidivka like they can hit Russian ships.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Video of the hits, apparently:
https://twitter.com/RebeccaRambar/status/1721593539493011816#m
:nms: just in case...

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

The X-man cometh posted:

I wish the Ukrainians had the ability to hit the command and supply positions around Avidivka like they can hit Russian ships.

They can and have been with ATACMS, a better question is why Ukraine can't stop Russian glide bombs despite their significant anti-air capabilities.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran
Speaking of long range hits on Ukrainian targets...

quote:

Ukrainian major killed by birthday gift bomb

A close adviser to the head of Ukraine’s armed forces was killed Monday by an explosive device hidden inside a gift that had been given to him for his birthday.

“An unknown explosive device went off in one of the gifts,” Valeriy Zaluzhny wrote on Telegram Monday evening local time following the death of Major Gennadiy Chastyakov.

Zaluzhny called Chastyakov “my assistant and close friend” and said the 39-year-old’s death marked a “heavy loss for the Armed Forces of Ukraine”.

The Ukrainska Pravda news outlet, citing sources in law enforcement, said the blast was caused by a grenade hidden inside a gift bag that consisted of a bottle of alcohol and shot glasses, among which a real explosive was hidden.

Zaluzhny said an investigation into the killing is under way.

Chastyakov’s 13-year-old son was seriously injured and is being treated in hospital, Ukraine’s National Police said in a statement.
(From Financial Times)

Has echoes of the targeted killing of Vladlen Tatarsky back in April when he opened a gift that was a bust of himself only to have it explode. Russia reminding everyone that their security services are still operational and capable.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Structural integrity will be iffy after the fire, my unprofessional opinion is that's a scrapper.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Vietnom nom nom posted:

Speaking of long range hits on Ukrainian targets...

(From Financial Times)

Has echoes of the targeted killing of Vladlen Tatarsky back in April when he opened a gift that was a bust of himself only to have it explode. Russia reminding everyone that their security services are still operational and capable.

Or maybe not? 🤔

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1721634493365154191

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

didn't the exact same thing happen to some polish police chief a while back?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

didn't the exact same thing happen to some polish police chief a while back?
It was a rocket launcher that he was showing off to other police officers in the police station when he accidentally fired it.

Is that 3 hits on the ship or are those secondary explosions?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

It was a rocket launcher that he was showing off to other police officers in the police station when he accidentally fired it.

Is that 3 hits on the ship or are those secondary explosions?

3 successful intercepts of SCALP-EG missiles by the Russian Navy.

By the ships hull.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1720814139600232737#m

Tatarigami, who has been one of the more commonly retweeted OSINT guys and supposedly a Ukrainian officer, is finally dropping names on who should get fired.

It would be real weird if twitter campaigns to fire generals become the norm, but there are definitely historical analogues.

Yeah, US civil war newspaper campaigns was also what I was thinking.
V

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 6, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the american civil war was full of general's using friendly newspapers to call for other generals to be fired or demoted. i can't recall a newspaper campaign that was ever the explicit cause of a command shakeup, but the pr for each union general was something lincoln had to wrestle with the whole war

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

khwarezm posted:

https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1717738123893817350
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23311886.2023.2269685
Large thread and link suggesting that Euromaiden in 2014 really were behind the sniper attacks. I don't know who Ivan Katchanovski is but his twitter feed does not fill me with confidence that he's a neutral party.

Regarding this, I've seen Katchanovski popping up recently, probably due to the culmination of some trials re Maidan in Kiev. I assume that the "media silence" about the "findings" that he describes is due to the findings not actually supporting his conclusions. Reading through his Twitter feed, he seems to be an academic that went off the deep end at some point.

What is this journal? How trustworthy is it? What's the manner of peer review for a publication like this?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

small butter posted:

What is this journal? How trustworthy is it? What's the manner of peer review for a publication like this?

It's an open access (i.e. pay to publish) journal that has in the past published an article claiming dongs are a social construct.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's an open access (i.e. pay to publish) journal that has in the past published an article claiming dongs are a social construct.

I think “social construct” might be a translation issue here, it should be “friendly erection”.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's an open access (i.e. pay to publish) journal

These are not the same thing please do not equate them thanks.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

What about the trial verdict that he's claiming corroborates the Maidan conspiracy theory?

Is there any place where I can read an analysis of this, preferably in English?

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Hmmm, this doesn’t sound very democratic …

https://thehill.com/policy/international/4296123-ukraine-russia-war-volodymyr-zelensky-not-the-right-time-elections/

quote:

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a Monday address that it is “not the right time for elections” in Ukraine as the end of his five-year term approaches.

Zelensky argued in his Monday video address that Ukraine should not have to deal with elections as it continues to attempt to fend off Russia, which invaded Ukraine in February 2022. He previously had not ruled out Ukraine holding a presidential contest next year, though elections are currently suspended in the country under martial law.

“And finally, the waves of any politically divisive things must stop,” he said Monday. “We must realize that now is the time of defense, the time of the battle that determines the fate of the state and people, not the time of manipulations, which only Russia expects from Ukraine. I believe that now is not the right time for elections.”

“And if we need to put an end to a political dispute and continue to work in unity, there are structures in the state that are capable of putting an end to it and giving society all the necessary answers. So that there is no room left for conflicts and someone else’s game against Ukraine,” he said.

Presidential elections in Ukraine are scheduled to take place every five years, with the next one slated for next March. Zelensky was sworn into office in May 2019, meaning that his five-year term is set to expire in a few months.

Seems like a dangerous precedent to set. What’s to keep Zelenskyy from suspending elections indefinitely?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a maiden protest i suppose

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Top G posted:

https://thehill.com/policy/international/4296123-ukraine-russia-war-volodymyr-zelensky-not-the-right-time-elections/

Seems like a dangerous precedent to set. What’s to keep Zelenskyy from suspending elections indefinitely?

Yeah there's no good answer here, widely spread out diaspora, soldiers on the front lines, potential for bombing of polling places (which by nature have to be advertised in advance) on election day. The Financial Times Europe editor had a nice piece on this in September:

quote:

Russia and Ukraine are both supposed to hold presidential elections next March. Autocratic Russia will go ahead. But for democratic Ukraine, under constant threat of Russian attack and constrained by martial law, it is a lot more complicated. Parliamentary elections due next month have already, in effect, been cancelled.

The prospect of a long war poses a difficult conundrum for Ukraine: how long can it wait before renewing the mandates of its leaders? Should it prove its democratic credentials by holding presidential and parliamentary elections, despite the security, logistical and legal impediments? Some western politicians think so.

“If you don’t do it, then the question comes from the table: what did we defend in this war of aggression that Russia has called against us?” Tiny Kox, the Dutchman who leads the parliamentary assembly of the Council of Europe, told Ukrainian Truth, a news outlet, earlier this year.

After a visit to Kyiv last month, US senator Lindsey Graham said he couldn’t think of “a better symbol for Ukraine than to hold free and fair elections during the course of a war”.

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has pointed to all the obstacles: elections are not allowed under martial law; 5mn Ukrainians are internally displaced and living outside their constituencies; and several million more are abroad where they are only allowed to vote in embassies. How do you organise voting for soldiers at the frontline and how do you stop Russian missiles from targeting polling stations?

“I see no room for elections in the upcoming future,” says Serhiy Leshchenko, an adviser to the Office of the President.

Still, Zelenskyy has left the door ajar. His response to Graham was the US and Europe would have to pay for elections because Ukraine needs every penny for the army. “We are ready. There is no question about it,” the president intriguingly told a conference in Kyiv earlier this month.

Zelenskyy’s ambiguity has alarmed Ukrainian civil society groups. Having worked for years to entrench democracy, campaigners are now in the unusual position of arguing against elections as long as Ukraine is in a full-scale war with Russia.

“This idea is extremely dangerous and will lead to the loss of legitimacy of both the process and the elected bodies and — with a high probability — to significant destabilisation of the state as a whole,” over 100 NGOs wrote in a joint statement on Monday.

On top of the organisational difficulties, they argue that martial law has stifled the free speech and debate necessary for a legitimate democratic contest. The government and parliament should instead start preparing the country for postwar elections, which will be no mean feat.

Leshchenko said it was Zelenskyy’s opponents who, craving political oxygen — there is no government of national unity in Ukraine — were the ones clamouring for a vote.

But some pro-democracy activists believe members of the president’s office and of his political party see an opportunity next spring to capitalise on Zelenskyy’s sky-high popularity — and lack of presidential rivals. An EU decision to start membership negotiations with Ukraine in December, the delivery of F-16 fighter jets later in the winter and further gains on the battlefield would give him a further lift.

A brief suspension of martial law, approved by a friendly constitutional court, could allow for simultaneous presidential and parliamentary elections, maximising the benefits for Zelenskyy but eroding the checks and balances on the head of state.

“We may have elections but without competition this could break Ukraine’s growth as an electoral democracy,” says Olha Ajvazovska, the head of Opora, an activist group.

But Zelenskyy knows the longer he waits, the worse its gets politically, says Marcin Walecki of the National Democratic Institute, a US and UK backed NGO. Polls show many Ukrainians want a clear-out of existing political parties and a bigger role for former soldiers in political life. The armed forces are the most trusted institution in Ukraine and Valery Zaluzhny, the top general, is even more popular than Zelensky.

The president’s wartime leadership has turned him into a Churchillian figure. But being turfed out of office by an electorate more interested in rebuilding their lives and their country than heroism is a Churchillian parallel he will want to avoid.

Paranoea
Aug 4, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1720814139600232737#m

Tatarigami, who has been one of the more commonly retweeted OSINT guys and supposedly a Ukrainian officer, is finally dropping names on who should get fired.

It would be real weird if twitter campaigns to fire generals become the norm, but there are definitely historical analogues.

Yeah, US civil war newspaper campaigns was also what I was thinking.
V

Tatarigami's been making GBS threads on Syrski for a long time now. I think at least in June when the first minefields were hit during the counteroffensive, I remember seeing some strong words given.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's a open question, but democratic states pausing elections during war isn't unusual - there was 8 years between parliamentary elections in the UK due to WW1, and 10 years because of WW2.

Of course, the UK is a parliamentary system not as presidental one, and both of those wars did feature governments of national unity and a change of Prime Minster mid-war, even with the same parliament. War didn't stop politics, it just constrained it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vietnom nom nom posted:

The Financial Times Europe editor had a nice piece on this in September:

quote:

“If you don’t do it, then the question comes from the table: what did we defend in this war of aggression that Russia has called against us?” Tiny Kox, the Dutchman who leads the parliamentary assembly of the Council of Europe, told Ukrainian Truth, a news outlet, earlier this year.

:wow:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

The Top G posted:

Russia could stop invading.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It's definitely difficult to see how an election can be run properly and safely, given the combination of factors that have disrupted everything. The best I can think of is that you do not have any polling locations, or any in-person voting at all. You do the entire thing with mail-in ballots. Lets you mostly sidestep the issue of displaced people and removes the danger of polling sites getting missiles rained on them. Plus you could try to work out an agreement with the EU to have the postal votes taken into Poland or something and counted there by Ukrainians, to keep them safe from Russian attempts to burn down the warehouse holding them or something.

No idea if any of that would be at all feasible in logistical terms.

I guess the alternatives are you run the thing normally as best you can and take whatever hits Russia deals and whatever imperfections arise, or you suspend elections until peace is signed and then have immediate snap ones, though I guess that's not necessary an easy thing to do in legal terms depending on how their constitution sets stuff up.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Well Russia is having elections on schedule. Makes you think, huh??

You have to judge it in the light of Ukraine's constitution, which I'm no expert on. But it seems like elections can be postponed for force majeur reasons such as an invader bombing your cities and holding one fifth of it under occupation and millions of people being refugees. Ultimately it will fall to courts to decide whether there are legal grounds for that.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

The Top G posted:

This is dumb, how would you hold fair elections with 20% of Ukraine occupied, a large percentage of the population living outside Ukraine as refuges etc. for comparison, the UK suspended elections during WW2 for similar reasons. Secondly, I believe the Ukrainian constitution suspends election during martial law, a bit like the German does. It's really silly to expect a country in a defensive war, fighting an enemy that have qualms with targeting civilians, to somehow hold elections.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

According to this article, the Ukrainian constitution forbids parliamentary elections during martial law. Presidential elections are ruled out by statutory laws.

quote:

The prohibition of wartime elections is established in statutory law. Article 19(1) of the Law of Ukraine „On the Legal Regime of Martial Law“ prohibits the holding of elections for the President of Ukraine, as well as elections to the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, the Verkhovna Rada of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, and local self-government, under martial law. The Electoral Code of Ukraine also provides for the suspension of any electoral process from the moment martial law is introduced (Article 20).

The constitutional text is no less straightforward: In the case of martial law or a state of emergency, Article 83(4) of the Constitution provides for the extension of the Parliament’s powers until the day of the first meeting of the first session of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, elected after the termination of martial law or state of emergency. The wording of this provision leaves no room for ambiguity– Parliament shall be elected after martial law is lifted. Thus, there are grounds to argue that no parliamentary elections can be constitutionally held during martial law.

While the Constitution cannot be amended during martial law (Art. 157(2)), statutory law can. If the electoral legislation is amended to allow wartime elections, it would be a valid law of the land until the Constitutional Court of Ukraine declares it unconstitutional (presumption of constitutionality). Therefore I would not rule out such a scenario with legislative enactment if international pressure increases. However, under extreme conditions of war, can free and fair elections be held and can the expression of will be free as required by Art. 71 of the Constitution?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nenonen posted:

Well Russia is having elections on schedule. Makes you think, huh??

as it does, like clockwork

have they even bothered to conjure up 2024's designated fail opposition yet

truly, i am excited for the first russian presidential elections since 2012 where, well, idk, what are we paying attention to this time? the war? new ballot stuffing techniques? i mean goddamn something amusing will happen, surely, but something meaningful is fffffff

to be clear, i have no disagreement with op; i am venting about things i shouldn't really care about

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

as it does, like clockwork

have they even bothered to conjure up 2024's designated fail opposition yet

truly, i am excited for the first russian presidential elections since 2012 where, well, idk, what are we paying attention to this time? the war? new ballot stuffing techniques? i mean goddamn something amusing will happen, surely, but something meaningful is fffffff

to be clear, i have no disagreement with op; i am venting about things i shouldn't really care about

I'm looking forward to seeing another installment of the 'lady nonchalantly sticks some balloons in front of the monitoring camera to stuff the ballot box'. Though I may be mistaking her from the Belarusian elections. Why they even bother with that, instead of making up numbers, I don't know.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm pretty sure both Putin and Batka would legit win the elections by sheer internal propaganda and playing on the fears of unknown. Probably not 90%, but easy 65% of legit votes.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

mmkay posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing another installment of the 'lady nonchalantly sticks some balloons in front of the monitoring camera to stuff the ballot box'. Though I may be mistaking her from the Belarusian elections. Why they even bother with that, instead of making up numbers, I don't know.

Belarus had the lady that climbed out of a window with a bag of ballots. Or just some random boxes/stacks of paper they had laying around the polling location that they had to evacuate down a ladder. Could be either, really.

Holdings elections in Ukraine during wartime seems like a dangerous undertaking. Physical voting is probably going to lead to missile strikes, keeping most reasonable people away from going. Mail votes would probably work, but Ukraine does still have a corruption problem that I'd fear influences the vote.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Elections under martial law seem like a really bad idea. The ruling government has legal powers to seriously interfere with opposition campaigns (they can arbitrarily limit freedom of assembly, freedom of speech, public media access, military security forces can be used to intimidate voters, etc.) I'm not surprised that many countries just forbid it. An unpopular government could use such an election to try to stay in power past the end of the emergency situation and appear legitimate.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I doubt there are many people that would argue against the points raised. You can’t even have a proper campaign, as any political rally has a decent chance of being targeted by Russia..

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Any Ukrainian elections during wartime will be a prime target for Russian disinformation and attacks, turning it into a real mess.

It's really too unstable an environment to be twittering on about "democratic rights" during a fight to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Top G posted:

Do you seriously believe he wants to make himself president for life? Do you have any evidence or indication that this is likely?