Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I thought the 'Team Spirit Breaker' thing was a meme but then I actually saw it in-game when it was banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:thunk: Why doesn't it show when the Razor picked?
Pretty sure he Randomed it first... And then my team decided to pick a whole bunch of zero right clickability :sigh: Amazed we managed to drag this one out for an hour. Anywhere I'd go to farm, just get jumped on by a Monkey and then Spectre ult and usually an Omni hammer not far away.

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
TI 12 made me install again after not having played much since 2017. Queued a normal all pick game, my carry got killed after I initiated on the offlane as a support and abandoned 5 minutes into the game. Thought about uninstalling this poo poo game, but decided to queue a ranked all pick game against my better judgement...we stomped them and I went 9/3/18 as Crystal Maiden.

I love Dota :3:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If you play DotA, you're gonna lose at DotA. Mute any dickhead immediately. Enter a chill state of flow. Success!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

If you play DotA, you're gonna lose at DotA. Mute any dickhead immediately. Enter a chill state of flow. Success!

Wisdom.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah I have been playing significantly less in the back half of this year but the games I've had have been pretty solid and even when I'm losing I'm just having fun trying to make big plays which is all you can ask for

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Losing Dota is just the game's way of making winning dota better.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

when ur losing a game of dota it just means it’s time to win at talking poo poo

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
Honestly I start seeing myself have a rough/bad game I just mute everyone preemptively. It really helps keep your head down and focused on fixing things instead of hitting the demoralizing cycle. The best part is unmuting everyone right before throne is down so you can catch the end of the toxic poo poo that was being thrown around for probably the past 20 minutes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Would you mute me? I'd mute me. I'd mute me hard.

edit: typo

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 5, 2023

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

ShimmyGuy posted:

Honestly I start seeing myself have a rough/bad game I just mute everyone preemptively. It really helps keep your head down and focused on fixing things instead of hitting the demoralizing cycle. The best part is unmuting everyone right before throne is down so you can catch the end of the toxic poo poo that was being thrown around for probably the past 20 minutes.

same here. I especially like when the enemy complains about their carry to us like I'm supposed to be upset I'm getting a win

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Any time a teammate dies and complains about another player or starts backseat gaming whatever I simply ping their respawn timer.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Heyo, decided I hate my self and I want to start playing dota2. I started watching BSJ's fundamental videos. Any other advice?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
the mute advice is pretty solid

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not sure if this even qualifies as "Fundamentals", but I guess is there a good video out there for learning more about like lane equilibrium and what I should be doing as a support? I find more and more when I play 4/5 I've been getting flamed for "ruining the lane" or whatever and I genuinely have no idea what I'm supposedly doing wrong. A significant chunk of my DOTA time was logged like pre-2017 (really pre-2015 even) and I feel like the game has just evolved beyond how I know to play DOTA.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Not sure if this even qualifies as "Fundamentals", but I guess is there a good video out there for learning more about like lane equilibrium and what I should be doing as a support? I find more and more when I play 4/5 I've been getting flamed for "ruining the lane" or whatever and I genuinely have no idea what I'm supposedly doing wrong. A significant chunk of my DOTA time was logged like pre-2017 (really pre-2015 even) and I feel like the game has just evolved beyond how I know to play DOTA.

idk, just draw aggro to your ranged creep and pull if the lane doesn't feel right. there are absolutely times that you should in theory nuke the wave and shove it in instead but no carry i've ever seen will understand that and will just follow the wave under the enemy tower and die and flame you even more

e: for shoving, like vs some lineups you're toast if you try and pull but you still need to, so I think you'd try and send the next wave close to their tower to buy you room to deward/pull your own and get back to good, but seriously good luck at performing any action that takes longer than 20 seconds to pay off without your core typing gg and giving up

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 6, 2023

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1SuqoNOic

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Does anyone have a link to this old DOTA guide on placing wards that's nothing but zooming in on wards while a song tells you to smoke weed

Thanks and bless

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Heyo, decided I hate my self and I want to start playing dota2. I started watching BSJ's fundamental videos. Any other advice?

Dont play dota

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Sab669 posted:

BSJ has a bunch of good videos where he breaks down and explains fundamentals. He's mainly a carry player but he has a lot of good insight into how the support should play as well. The coached games videos are very good too since he goes over a lot of different skill levels and more mid/late game stuff too.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Sab669 posted:

I find more and more when I play 4/5 I've been getting flamed for "ruining the lane" or whatever
I started playing again after a 8 year hiatus, and this is the one thing that's familiar to me, people flaming the supports for not doing x/y/z, regardless of whether it makes sense or not. Like yeah, I know I'm making mistakes, but so is everyone at this rank, that's why we're all down here.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I don't have the most high powered laptop, I'm playing on a Surface Go 3 that my kid broke, and I have it hooked up to my ultrawide, but I'd like to play it with blackbars os it's not so high rez and stretched, but I can't get windows to play along.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

As a support player I highly recommend this whole list of videos (the pulling one I think was posted above)

https://youtu.be/28WEdi_S3-o?si=LfL9IoEX-ONGVFxK

It is a great deep dive into understanding how to be a good support (and general player).

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

when I returned after a break, my lane partners would complain that I spent too much time pulling/stacking instead of playing the lane and harassing. they were right, I watched too many pro games where the support leaves lane early. I win much more games now.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

I remember higher MMR people talking about how as pos 4/5 you are almost always better going for lotus over the 3 min rune, just because being that far away can be a death sentence for your partner.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

ShimmyGuy posted:

As a support player I highly recommend this whole list of videos (the pulling one I think was posted above)

https://youtu.be/28WEdi_S3-o?si=LfL9IoEX-ONGVFxK

It is a great deep dive into understanding how to be a good support (and general player).

ZQuixotix makes real informative and useful guides while also being a funny guy, I also recommend his videos.

My own supporting advice is just try to match what your carry is doing, and if you can't get a read on their intent, it can't hurt to just ask what they would prefer you do. Even if they are also mistaken, two heroes making the same mistake together has a higher likelihood of working out in this game than two heroes in separate areas both sure that they're making the correct move.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

ShimmyGuy posted:

I remember higher MMR people talking about how as pos 4/5 you are almost always better going for lotus over the 3 min rune, just because being that far away can be a death sentence for your partner.

Yea the lotus is effectively like 200~ gold worth of regen, much more valuable than a 55 gold bounty rune.

Its hard knowing when to pull these days because it's super easy for your carry to just die in a 2v1 of you leave him alone for 5 seconds. I pretty much never pull the small camp anymore because it leaves the carry so exposed. I just contest the hard camp pull or even pull it myself, while using my spells to secure the range creep when my core cant get it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
They just have different purposes. Roughly speaking pulling hard is good when you know you’re stronger and want to fight the other heroes, pulling small is good when you already spent your mana and just want the lane to move back while you run a clarity or something

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
What camp do I pull to stop my carry from feeding in ineffective high-ground pushes at around 20-30 minutes. I swear that always happens when I help them win the lane a bit too well.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Beef posted:

What camp do I pull to stop my carry from feeding in ineffective high-ground pushes at around 20-30 minutes. I swear that always happens when I help them win the lane a bit too well.

Pull roshan out of the pit

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Rosh should happen for the winning team around 20ish min every game this patch. Throughout the game, don’t go high ground without an aegis unless it’s to force buybacks/kill rax against a dead team

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Beef posted:

Have you considered the tactical feed

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

emdash posted:

Rosh should happen for the winning team around 20ish min every game this patch. Throughout the game, don’t go high ground without an aegis unless it’s to force buybacks/kill rax against a dead team

with Rosh in the corner you have to make a converted effort to go there and people are shy. big change from the old map where you would think they were starting rosh, you go check rosh, find nobody, then start rosh for no reason and get wiped.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Pick witch doctor

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Mortimer Knag posted:

Pick witch doctor
People need to stop banning him!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Played two unranked games last night:

1) Picked Witch Doctor, but we had triple mid and we got dumpstered
2) Picked Dazzle, but no one went mid, so i went mid, and held the tower until like 20 minutes and did a decent job laning against a dual midlane of Abadon and Windranger. After twenty minutes I was ~lvl 13, but I misclicked on the shop and bought a Kaya, and then my "Carry" bristleback was lvl 9 and ran down mid and kept dying until the game ended.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Dazzle is a decent mid. And there's a trick with couriers where you can solo tormentors really easily, but that would require coordination.

Don't forget that you can sell store items within like 10s for a full refund with the right click menu.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Kaya still boosts your shadow wave and poison touch damage. With an aghs build it's not the worst buy. Probably finish it out with the sange for the beef, but you could have also gone kaya and yasha to run people down. You could absolutely make that work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea Dazzle can actually be a legit mid, I don't play the hero though so I assume there's a learning curve (it's DOTA everything is a learning curve).
Not much you can do about people picking bad heroes to be the Carry and then playing the role badly though :v:

ILL Machina posted:

Don't forget that you can sell store items within like 10s for a full refund with the right click menu.

Expanding on this:

* You can sell any item provided you're in range of a shop
* You only have that 10 second window to get the full refund, otherwise selling stuff nets you only half the gold
* You can't sell items while Dead, unless it was an item you bought after dying (same 10s window for a refund)