Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fishy Flip posted:

So I looked it up and the main character, Miyamoto Musashi was a legendary warrior/philosopher who was one of the most renowned samurai in japan. As far as I can tell he has never appeared in any of the games. Also, his character is modeled after Toshiro Mifune, one of the most famous actors in japan, which is kind of cool.

Toshiro Mifune played Musashi in a trilogy of movies back in the 50s, so that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s wild that Jordan Peele is still in the Big Mouth opening credits even though he’s had like two lines total in the first half of the latest season

As far as shows people itt are actually talking about goes, Scavengers Reign absolutely rules and I’m really looking forward to starting Blue Eye Samurai!

Also I am still watching Krapopolis. The latest episode was pretty good! It’s basically an ideal Fox Sunday night animation show tbh, even if it’s slightly below Bob’s.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So how do the NFTs with Krapopolis work?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pixaal posted:

You ignore them and they go away.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You play the episode with your NFT open next to you and it gains watch XP for each time it laughs. Every NFT has a different sense of humor though so best to get a few just in case one hates the show.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

pixaal posted:

something something icarus, blind because of the sun, topical humor

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
How many eps in a row has Krapopolis been about the main character dating someone? It's felt like a lot of times to go to that well for a very, very uncharismatic lead.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Neeksy posted:

How many eps in a row has Krapopolis been about the main character dating someone? It's felt like a lot of times to go to that well for a very, very uncharismatic lead.

Yeah feels like they are already out of ideas

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Neeksy posted:

There have been a plague of shows with uncharismatic failsons these past few years.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah feels like they are already out of ideas

- me 10 minutes into the first episode

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

There have been a plague of shows with uncharismatic failsons these past few years.

Tyrannis isn't a failson. He's actually remarkably intelligent and successful -- though yeah, he lacks emotinal intelligence and savoir faire.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 7, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Other characters call him smart and such but I don't often -see- him being smart or successful. In fact the show went out of its way in the latest episode to show he doesn't know what he's talking about with the wheat blight.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neeksy posted:

Other characters call him smart and such but I don't often -see- him being smart or successful. In fact the show went out of its way in the latest episode to show he doesn't know what he's talking about with the wheat blight.

His city is super successful compared to the other cities around him, he helped fend off an attack by a neighbouring army and brokered a peace deal with them, he's got strong management and organisational skills and has found ways to implement them in a setting that's actively hostile to him and his ideas. He's so successful that his mother moved in with him and now leeches off his wealth and success. If anything she's a failmum.

He doesn't have the practical skills of his sister or the technical skills of his brother, but he's got the ability to manipulate and utilize those skills so that it benefits him and the people around him i.e. he's basically an embodiment of a certain kind of city-state paradigm (or to use the show's conception, "civilisation").

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neeksy posted:

That's such a common thing with TV shows in particular that it's got a few names, plenty of leads who the show revels in being idiots and jerks and/or complain about how they don't get any dates get a ton of love interests every season if not in a long term relationship. It's certainly not new.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m really looking forward to starting Blue Eye Samurai!

I still can't get over what an absolutely stacked cast Blue Eye Samurai has. George Takei, Randal Park, Masi Oka, Brenda Song, Ming-Na Wen, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, loving Kenneth Branaugh. And it looks goddamn amazing both in action and still. There's so many shots where it feels like it's a 2D animated show, and then a character will turn in a certain way or it will shift perspectives in a way that you can't do in 2D, at least that seamlessly, and you go "oooh poo poo, that's cool." I'm about halfway through it right now and just not wanting it to end.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's definitely some of the best 3D animation I've seen that isn't some pixar thing. The facial expressions are great too.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
blue eye samurai was fantastic. i was initially put off by the english voiceacting (not the the actors themselves, mind) and watched it in japanese instead

it's fun to compare a show like that to the hbo trailer of shogun which was just your expectable :rolleyes:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

nine-gear crow posted:

I still can't get over what an absolutely stacked cast Blue Eye Samurai has. George Takei, Randal Park, Masi Oka, Brenda Song, Ming-Na Wen, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, loving Kenneth Branaugh. And it looks goddamn amazing both in action and still. There's so many shots where it feels like it's a 2D animated show, and then a character will turn in a certain way or it will shift perspectives in a way that you can't do in 2D, at least that seamlessly, and you go "oooh poo poo, that's cool." I'm about halfway through it right now and just not wanting it to end.

Bonkers isn't it, yet they don't seem to be pushing it much?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Pretty impressed Scavengers Reign exists. I haven’t gotten through it all yet but man I hate Kamen as much as his wife does right now

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

i am a moron posted:

Pretty impressed Scavengers Reign exists. I haven’t gotten through it all yet but man I hate Kamen as much as his wife does right now

It still seems weird that his name is spelled "Kamen" and not "Cayman". :psyduck:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Taear posted:

Bonkers isn't it, yet they don't seem to be pushing it much?

Netflix and just loving burying insanely good poo poo go together like peas and carrots.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m really looking forward to starting Blue Eye Samurai!

I just finished this and it owns.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
they don't seem to have made a trailer with the japanese va, just the original trailer with subtitles. i've spent like an hour finding out who the voice actors even are without luck

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I expected my favorite netflix animated show recently would be Pluto, but I haven't been able to finish it. Blue Eyed Samurai I finished in a day.

Pluto is not a bad show I think, but its certainly sub-par compared to the manga which was a compulsive read.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I enjoyed it but it felt like it may have been an episode or two too long.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Normally I absolutely loathe 3d animation, and there are so many awful examples of it. And I decided on a whim to check out Blue Eye Samurai and they absolutely made the 3d animation work. It's beautiful.

I'm terrified it cost a tremendous amount of money because it's the kind of show Netflix would love to kill off, when it deserves to fully fund the entire story they want to tell.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
a lot of 3d animation also has incredibly lazy camera work and framing, which makes the action look way stiffer. this was "shot" basically like your typical 2d animation

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

kliras posted:

blue eye samurai was fantastic. i was initially put off by the english voiceacting (not the the actors themselves, mind) and watched it in japanese instead

it's fun to compare a show like that to the hbo trailer of shogun which was just your expectable :rolleyes:
Why? It's not a Japanese show. Is it an immersion thing?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean it's an American show by a bunch of Americans with issues relating to their mixed cultural heritages, why the gently caress would Japanese be the superior way to watch it?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Seriously, check out Blue Eye Samurai if you are a fan of the artistic medium of animation, regardless of the setting and themes. Be ready for lots of boobs and dicks, little to no actual sex though.

Only half way through, savouring this one. That assassination plot of the deaf-mute girl was super engaging and had me wondering until the end, such a fantastic show.

E: Show isn't really anime, ignore this weeb vvv

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 8, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

anatomi posted:

Why? It's not a Japanese show. Is it an immersion thing?
the quality just felt off fairly early into it, and some pronunciation annoyed me a little. just felt more effort was put into the japanese version, or at least it was more consistent, even though the japanese version didn't blow my socks off per se. it's probably down to time and budget, especially with some of the audio mixing also seeming off. i think dragonball might probably be more fun in english than japanese, so i generally just go with subs unless there's a good reason not to

i kinda had the same problem with the first season of pantheon earlier in the thread, although i feel like that one might have been due to a wfh situation during lockdown

castlevania nocturne worked fine, but i don't know enough about how (differently) things are done in american settings and how much it varies. something just felt off in a way that rubbed me the wrong way, and in case anyone felt the same way, rather than having them drop the show, they could just watch it with the japanese va

kliras fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 8, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, having watched the Castlevania anime for the first time recently I discovered it was made by (or at least had some involvement with) the same studio behind Adventure Time

Haven’t seen Nocturne yet but have they said anything about possibly doing more with the series in the future?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

kliras posted:

the quality just felt off fairly early into it, and some pronunciation annoyed me a little. just felt more effort was put into the japanese version, or at least it was more consistent, even though the japanese version didn't blow my socks off per se. it's probably down to time and budget, especially with some of the audio mixing also seeming off. i think dragonball might probably be more fun in english than japanese, so i generally just go with subs unless there's a good reason not to

i kinda had the same problem with the first season of pantheon earlier in the thread, although i feel like that one might have been due to a wfh situation during lockdown

castlevania nocturne worked fine, but i don't know enough about how (differently) things are done in american settings and how much it varies. something just felt off in a way that rubbed me the wrong way, and in case anyone felt the same way, rather than having them drop the show, they could just watch it with the japanese va
Oh, I see. If you understand Japanese I can see why you'd like to give that a shot if you weren't impressed with the English voice acting.

I agree on Pantheon. The voice acting was just fine — bit too flat.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i also think just being exposed to so many forms of recording and audio mixing through livestreaming, youtube, and podcast has made me more acutely prone to tuning out stuff that sounds off, less than being some kind of snob wrt animation and (the recording and direction of) voiceacting specifically

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jehde posted:

Seriously, check out Blue Eye Samurai if you are a fan of the artistic medium of animation, regardless of the setting and themes. Be ready for lots of boobs and dicks, little to no actual sex though.

Only half way through, savouring this one. That assassination plot of the deaf-mute girl was super engaging and had me wondering until the end, such a fantastic show.

E: Show isn't really anime, ignore this weeb vvv

Yeah the rescue-assassination was incredibly well done and I love that it goes perfectly until the escape and then Mizu fucks it all up in a split second because she got overconfident and put her trust in someone she thought was innocent and it turns out that the whole drat town is in the pocket of the mob boss.

E: I really liked how her killing the bird in the rafters was thematic of the whole assassination in general. The ostensibly right thing to do in the moment, but it just hosed everything up for a lot of otherwise innocent bystanders (the unborn baby birds and the town itself).

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 8, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Jehde posted:

Be ready for lots of boobs and dicks, little to no actual sex though.

I was surprised with how many times they showed people masturbating. I can only think of 2 times but compared to other media that's a shitload.

Its a show that took adult themes and ran with most if not all of them, yet not in an edgelord or gratuitous way. At no point did I think "Yes yes, this is violent, lets's move it along" or "ok, enough with the nudity, we know this an adult show already."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

I was surprised with how many times they showed people masturbating. I can only think of 2 times but compared to other media that's a shitload.

Its a show that took adult themes and ran with most if not all of them, yet not in an edgelord or gratuitous way. At no point did I think "Yes yes, this is violent, lets's move it along" or "ok, enough with the nudity, we know this an adult show already."

Yeah, most of the sex scenes so far have been about showing just how skilled of a manipulator Akemi is because she can just wrap people around her finger in seconds because they think she's hot. The town festival with the whole crowd of free flowing dongs got me laughing though. I was not expecting them to commit that hard to it after the tease earlier that episode of "everyone gets naked and jumps in the ocean".

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I finished Blue Eye Samurai, very good show. I liked every character (other than the noodle guy, who sucks), and god do I appreciate that 3d animation lets you do action in a way that's so more dynamic and easy to understand than your usual Hollywood action film with their constant mid-fight edits. I did get very weirded out by the ending, however, in one way: I was under the impression that Fowler's plan revolved around importing more guns than the Shogunate could feasibly match, but the ending makes it seem like the Tokugawa clan threw away all their guns after taking power or never had them in the first place. The samurai loving loved guns, especially the guy who did most of the work conquering the islands of Japan, Oda Nobunaga, so it felt really odd that this was a thing.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Whirling posted:

I finished Blue Eye Samurai, very good show. I liked every character (other than the noodle guy, who sucks), and god do I appreciate that 3d animation lets you do action in a way that's so more dynamic and easy to understand than your usual Hollywood action film with their constant mid-fight edits. I did get very weirded out by the ending, however, in one way: I was under the impression that Fowler's plan revolved around importing more guns than the Shogunate could feasibly match, but the ending makes it seem like the Tokugawa clan threw away all their guns after taking power or never had them in the first place. The samurai loving loved guns, especially the guy who did most of the work conquering the islands of Japan, Oda Nobunaga, so it felt really odd that this was a thing.

Isn’t pretty much what happened? after the Tokugawa shogunate was established Japan insulated itself from western influence until the XIX century and that included destroying or rejecting western firearms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

papasyhotcakes posted:

Isn’t pretty much what happened? after the Tokugawa shogunate was established Japan insulated itself from western influence until the XIX century and that included destroying or rejecting western firearms.

Not really. Guns continued to be produced under the shogunate, its just that they weren't ever produced in the numbers that they were in the Sengoku period and the attempted invasion of Korea by Toyotomi Hideyoshi (for reference, the latter had 160k soldiers and a quarter were equipped with guns, which is pretty impressive). The samurai caste would have a decent stock of matchlock rifles, but the few peasants that had firearms mostly just used them to scare the poo poo out of wild dogs and foxes eating their chickens. I'm being nitpicky, it doesn't detract from the story, but I did get confused when the samurai in Edo didn't have a single rifle.