Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Trying to stop our cat from getting in the habit of jumping on the kitchen counter, so we lined the edges with foil to give her an unpleasant surprise when she does it (cats hate foil, right?)

Just got home from doing shopping and the foil is messed up, partially eaten, and vomited out on the carpet 😔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Unperson_47 posted:

Usually it plugs into the OBD port in your car and is supposed to unlock the full fuel efficiency of your car by reprogramming the ECM.

There's also something similar that you plug into a wall outlet of your house that is supposed to trick your electric usage meter or some other dumb poo poo so you save money on your electrical utility bill.

And yeah as you would guess they are literally just an LED. At best, they might even program them to flicker the LED so it looks like it's doing something. At worst, it''ll probably burn your house and/or car down.

It is technically possible to improve your home’s power factor with one of those power savers, but electroboom has a great video on why they are still completely useless in practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86QK0Njfv4

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TACD posted:

Trying to stop our cat from getting in the habit of jumping on the kitchen counter, so we lined the edges with foil to give her an unpleasant surprise when she does it (cats hate foil, right?)

Just got home from doing shopping and the foil is messed up, partially eaten, and vomited out on the carpet 😔

My best friend sent me a video of her cat pulling the sticky anti-cat tape off the edges of their couch and chewing it up.

Maybe try that Ssscat compressed air thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cphGWOPi0k

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The what compressed air thing???

E, alternative post: No thanks, I tried it and now my house smells like poo poo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah, I get that, I just don't understand how some people seem to single him out for very specific hatred. He's a greedy bastard, but like, the least harmful greedy bastard. Maybe I'm just hearing from some extremely stupid people.

He does indisputably do good deeds, but only from a motive to make people say "Oh gee, MrBeast sure did a good thing!" to boost his own ego, with a side-bonus of "Why do you hate him? He Did A Good Thing??" if anyone dares questions MrBeast and shout down criticism. If he truly gave even half a poo poo about the problems he was making videos about with the money he has, it wouldn't be via clickbait charity theatre. It'd be setting up nonprofit organizations and programs to invest in proper long-term solutions that continue helping people outside the lens of a camera.

But that isn't short-term/immediately sexy and marketable for Youtube clicks like themed burgers and chocolate are.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My best friend sent me a video of her cat pulling the sticky anti-cat tape off the edges of their couch and chewing it up.

Maybe try that Ssscat compressed air thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cphGWOPi0k

You can also buy one of those plastic/vinyl mats they make to put under desk chairs on carpet so they can roll freely. They're covered in little blunt plastic spikes on the bottom (for gripping the carpet). You cut it to the size you need and put it upside-down on whatever surface you're trying to keep cats off. The spikes won't do them any real harm, but they are very uncomfortable to step on and should help deter them

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rat Patrol posted:

You can also buy one of those plastic/vinyl mats they make to put under desk chairs on carpet so they can roll freely. They're covered in little blunt plastic spikes on the bottom (for gripping the carpet). You cut it to the size you need and put it upside-down on whatever surface you're trying to keep cats off. The spikes won't do them any real harm, but they are very uncomfortable to step on and should help deter them
These are both good ideas, thanks! I’m going to try the mat first, partly because I also have a home office with carpeted floor where that might be useful for its intended purpose as well and because the spray seems to be upwards of Ł70, loving hell

Look forward to my future post about how the cat has eaten the mat

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

TACD posted:

These are both good ideas, thanks! I’m going to try the mat first, partly because I also have a home office with carpeted floor where that might be useful for its intended purpose as well and because the spray seems to be upwards of Ł70, loving hell

"static" deterrent mats are also a good thing, they operate on a 9v battery and give the equivalent of a cold weather static shock when you step on them, nothing painful just startling and unexpected. I had a problem with my cats clawing up the carpet in front of closed doors, and got a couple, and now even when the batteries are dead or the things are turned off, they won't walk on them.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mr Beast is the epitome of "altruism isn't real"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

TACD posted:

Yeah we tried a similar thing with our dog when she was a puppy. Putting hot sauce on the corners of coffee tables is supposed to get them to stop chewing, right? Nope, just made her more enthusiastic. You're welcome for the seasoning, Jess! :tipshat::cripes:

Johnny Truant posted:

He is poo poo from a butt.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Johnny Truant posted:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

All that money and he hasn't hired an acting coach to teach him how to smile.

I guess I hate him because he looks like a psycho or even a skinwalker

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Truly we're in the worst timeline

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah we tried a similar thing with our dog when she was a puppy. Putting hot sauce on the corners of coffee tables is supposed to get them to stop chewing, right? Nope, just made her more enthusiastic. You're welcome for the seasoning, Jess! :tipshat::cripes:

:lmao: I had the same thing happen with trying to stop my dogs stealing eggs. Some dogs just really really love hot sauce, who knew?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"It puts the lotion on its skin"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why isn't he happy

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Air Skwirl posted:

As a cat owner I both love and identify with this video, but it's not what I'd show someone who doesn't own a cat if I thought they should get one.

https://twitter.com/ShouldHaveCat/status/1721799697956766033?s=20

https://youtube.com/shorts/VukKkAzyBug

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why isn't he happy

He had to stop stomping on squirrels and strangling puppies for just a little bit so he could go to a photo shoot.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/lOuLYdx.mp4

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Didn’t that turn out to be fake?

Edit: Mr beast on the sub thing

Scratch Monkey has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Nov 7, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Scratch Monkey posted:

Didn’t that turn out to be fake?

No, scientists have confirmed that cats are real

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Captain Hygiene posted:

No, scientists have confirmed that cats are real

I dont believe it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8m7QnFi2Oo

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Captain Hygiene posted:

No, scientists have confirmed that cats are real assholes

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

He can confidently say that he's being the bigger man now

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The idea of climbing down a hole to rescue a cat shirtless is insane to me. Like, if it hadn't pulled that ninja move it would have clawed the poo poo out of him while he was trying to help it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

no sense in ruining a shirt as well

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

As a cat owner I both love and identify with this video, but it's not what I'd show someone who doesn't own a cat if I thought they should get one.

https://twitter.com/ShouldHaveCat/status/1721799697956766033?s=20

I was waiting for the rest of the band to jump in here, god drat

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Biplane posted:

I got u fam https://twitter.com/thejazzestate/status/1721167367873364221?s=20

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

My pointless screaming into the void take on Mr. Beast is that he's a shithead but in the current shithead era he doesn't move the needle enough for me to care about him.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

TACD posted:

Best of luck.

Here's my schad of the day: i planted garlic for the first time right before the first frost settled in and was feeling pretty proud of myself. Now the temp has skyrocketed back to the 70s and it's all sprouting. Time will tell if I get my garlic in the spring but I'm not hopeful. Cool normal climate.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Rat Patrol posted:

Best of luck.

Here's my schad of the day: i planted garlic for the first time right before the first frost settled in and was feeling pretty proud of myself. Now the temp has skyrocketed back to the 70s and it's all sprouting. Time will tell if I get my garlic in the spring but I'm not hopeful. Cool normal climate.

Almost did the same thing but I held off. Temp got back up to mid-80s because we have destroyed the planet as we knew it

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Aramoro posted:

Right so one of the best business plans I've ever heard was someone in orlur city would wanted to setup a pizza van business. Fine, nothing exceptional there, pizza oven in a van job done. Now the USP was they would drive to your house and make the pizza on your doorstep. Which sounds great until you think for half a second how this works as a business. Either your pizzas are like £40 each or you go bankrupt.

The solution? Maybe they could make the pizzas on the way to the house? I wish more than anything else in this world that they did not get talked out of doing this and they had livestreamed a guy trying to make an artisan pizza in the back of a moving van.

No one who suggested this idea had any food business experience you'll be shocked to hear.

These people were so close, but they forgot the most important bit - add some tech so you can get VC money. There was in fact a startup a few years ago, Zume Pizza, that had this exact plan only the pizzas would be made, in the van on the way to your house, by ROBOTS.

They eventually got a total of $500 million in VC money (invested at various points), and they did apparently have a pizza robot up and running in their building, but they were never able to get the vans going. I believe it was actually more because the health department was like "you want us to allow you to create food in the back of a moving vehicle?"

Pretty good pizzas, though, I had them delivered a lot in 2018 (by some guy in a car, like any other pizza place) and they had some good combinations of flavor. They shut down the pizza portion sometime before covid and tried to pivot to food delivery systems or something? But finally closed a year or two later.

Anyway, yeah, robots.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I vaguely recalled Kiffness had done something christmassy with this cat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcvl_FvnQ84

I actually like the piano one you posted better, in this instance.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SyNack Sassimov posted:

These people were so close, but they forgot the most important bit - add some tech so you can get VC money. There was in fact a startup a few years ago, Zume Pizza, that had this exact plan only the pizzas would be made, in the van on the way to your house, by ROBOTS.

They eventually got a total of $500 million in VC money (invested at various points), and they did apparently have a pizza robot up and running in their building, but they were never able to get the vans going. I believe it was actually more because the health department was like "you want us to allow you to create food in the back of a moving vehicle?"

Pretty good pizzas, though, I had them delivered a lot in 2018 (by some guy in a car, like any other pizza place) and they had some good combinations of flavor. They shut down the pizza portion sometime before covid and tried to pivot to food delivery systems or something? But finally closed a year or two later.

Anyway, yeah, robots.

I remember reading an article about them shutting down just a few months ago, and it was still in my history: https://www.axios.com/2023/06/12/softbank-pizza-robot-shuts-down-zume-445-million

Yep sure I'll give you half a billion dollars for this

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://i.imgur.com/NeVIkL1.mp4

Sound on for this one:

https://i.imgur.com/zGPn7t6.mp4

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Biplane posted:

https://youtu.be/-VsmF9m_Nt8?si=4DbORITISj95Gx_p

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Can someone repost the Mickey Mouse road rage video from like ten or so pages back?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Just a bit more Krupa imo.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/UUl1TdL.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No, the actual sound he makes is even funnier than that.