Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Richardson didn't start getting serious buzz till he went crazy at the combine but even then people were still like "well yeah but look at the film..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
It was a ton of fun to shitpost about the impending AR12 mega dynasty for the Seahawks.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Shorter Kyler Murray and what if Trey Lance played to much football were better prospects than Stroud to some people lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah it looks really bad now and those takes were clearly dumb but people legitimately thought that back in April.

I'm still convinced the Texans put all those rumors about Stroud out there to get Tepper to put his foot down and take Young #1.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kirios posted:

Oookay we're having a little revisionist history here - Young was clearly the #1 option in the draft everywhere by the time it was rolling around. It would have been a massive surprise if Stroud was taken #1.

Hell, Stroud was by no means the second best QB overall - Richardson was approaching him by the end and there were a lot of people saying the Texans won't draft him and just kick the can to next year. They got slight pushback for picking Stroud.

It's all obviously worked out great for the Texans, but Stroud wasn't viewed as that slam dunk guy back then.
I did. I ranked Stroud above Young.

Stroud was superior in almost every way to Bryce as a prospect but for some reason Bryce got labeled as dumb poo poo like “just a winner, “special creator”, and “elite point guard”.

And I don’t want to poo poo on Bryce, I thought Bryce was a fine qb prospect, but clearly not as good as Stroud. Stroud is one of the most accurate prospects I’ve ever seen and I’ve been following this dumb sport for decades.

As noted, the podcast/Twitter/etc mock draft community coalesced around Bryce as the number one because it became obvious that Carolina was taking him first overall.

Stroud was a better prospect than Bryce, it’s not revisionist history. People knocked Stroud for that stupid test, the fact that he didn’t get emotionally fired up, and concerns that he couldn’t create outside of a clean pocket. After the game against Georgia it should have dispelled those last two concerns but people are dumb.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nervous posted:

It was a ton of fun to shitpost about the impending AR12 mega dynasty for the Seahawks.

I could not agree more, my friend. 100% agreement. There is no room for more agreement.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
By the time of the draft Stroud had been the victim of the "obvious top guy that people start to turn on while draft beatniks start falling in love with high upside potential projects instead" trend

It happened to Justin Fields. He was the clear #2 all year, even debated to be the #1, and then suddenly everyone falls in love with Zach Wilson for some reason.
It happened to Josh Rosen, he was the clear #2 to Sam Darnold all year, until late in the process when suddenly Baker and Josh Allen were the hot poo poo
It happened with DeShaun Watson, he was pretty hyped and then all of a sudden everyone was talking about Mitch Trubisky
It happened last year, Stroud was debated as the #1 with Young, and then time dragged on and everyone fell in love with Levis and Richardson. Levis fell, but Richardson didn't.

The draft process takes too long and it allows draft people to run out of things to say about top prospects so they start falling in love with other guys and that hype train ends up derailing a few talents that then fall in the draft, play really well, and make everyone wonder how they fell that far

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Febreeze posted:

By the time of the draft Stroud had been the victim of the "obvious top guy that people start to turn on while draft beatniks start falling in love with high upside potential projects instead" trend

It happened to Justin Fields. He was the clear #2 all year, even debated to be the #1, and then suddenly everyone falls in love with Zach Wilson for some reason.
It happened to Josh Rosen, he was the clear #2 to Sam Darnold all year, until late in the process when suddenly Baker and Josh Allen were the hot poo poo
It happened with DeShaun Watson, he was pretty hyped and then all of a sudden everyone was talking about Mitch Trubisky
It happened last year, Stroud was debated as the #1 with Young, and then time dragged on and everyone fell in love with Levis and Richardson. Levis fell, but Richardson didn't.

The draft process takes too long and it allows draft people to run out of things to say about top prospects so they start falling in love with other guys and that hype train ends up derailing a few talents that then fall in the draft, play really well, and make everyone wonder how they fell that far

And it's already happening now with Drake Maye and Caleb Williams.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Stroud was a better prospect than Bryce, it’s not revisionist history. People knocked Stroud for that stupid test, the fact that he didn’t get emotionally fired up, and concerns that he couldn’t create outside of a clean pocket. After the game against Georgia it should have dispelled those last two concerns but people are dumb.

I felt like I was going crazy after both the Stroud and Watson playoff games where they played phenomenally against teams with 11 future NFL starters on defense. What more do you need to even see?

The weird thing about Bryce was that I + my bama alum family all thought he was the worst qb of the last 4 bama had put out (hurts, tua, jones) and couldn't really understand the hype. He seemed a lot like Johnny Manziel where Jameson Williams & Metchie were bailing him out after a scramble drill and once they were injured/gone he couldn't do much (let alone not be able to evade sacks like that in the pros) . Which makes the Moore trade even more incomprehensible!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Stroud was the #2 QB on pretty much every semi respectable ranking. It would have been a surprise if he was taken #1 because the reporting had all coalesced around Carolina taking Bryce, not because people though Stroud sucked.

Stroud got hit with a lot of bullshit thanks to that dumbass test and general concerns about “processing” but he was a very good prospect and it wasn’t at all a surprise that he went high.

Yeah, even with Young coming to be viewed as the #1, there's a chicken-and-the-egg thing with the Panthers telegraphing to everyone that he was their choice well in advance and coloring the discussion. I don't think it was nearly as clear-cut before that, though I could be remembering wrong.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Is Deuce Gruden still with the Raiders?

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Failson posted:

Is Deuce Gruden still with the Raiders?

Yes

Strength and conditioning coach extraordinaire!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think they also still employ one of Mike Lombardi's failsons despite firing Mick.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Nepotism is the bedrock of the NFL

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Cronyism is the lumber.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you'd like to see some fun reactions from goons during Draft Day on the first couple of picks feel free to take a ~short view back to the past~

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030775&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6

Edit: Okay okay I can't help myself, It's kind of a jerk move to cite people's posts in the past like this (Although I was 100% right on Stroud I'd like to add), I just have to reference this specific mcmagic post because 1. He loves to put his foot in his mouth at every opportunity, and 2. It's very topical!

quote:

This is a Zach Wilson level pick IMO.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 7, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kirios posted:

If you'd like to see some fun reactions from goons during Draft Day on the first couple of picks feel free to take a ~short view back to the past~

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030775&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6

Relentlessboredomm posted:

lollll he's so much better than the last 3 Bama QBs

Sigh.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kirios posted:

RE: Stroud pick:

mcmagic posted:

This is a Zach Wilson level pick IMO.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

wandler20 posted:

RE: Stroud pick:

lol same brain

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Who is the next coach fired and why is it not Rivera?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Who is the next coach fired and why is it not Rivera?

https://x.com/sheena_marie3/status/1721970751807320504?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

:shitman:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Black Lighter posted:

Yeah, even with Young coming to be viewed as the #1, there's a chicken-and-the-egg thing with the Panthers telegraphing to everyone that he was their choice well in advance and coloring the discussion. I don't think it was nearly as clear-cut before that, though I could be remembering wrong.

It definitely wasn't clear cut. They were very much seen as a 1a and 1b kind of thing, iirc.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Nervous posted:

It definitely wasn't clear cut. They were very much seen as a 1a and 1b kind of thing, iirc.

I remember it mostly being Young has more upside and talent but doesn't have the physical measurables vs Stroud who is slightly worse but does and the argument basically being will Young's physical traits hold him back. Those who did wanted Stroud, those who didn't wanted Young.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The big knock against Stroud was that he was pretty catastrophic under pressure with the exception of the Georgia game and it was basically how much you thought that game was the real CJ Stroud.

It should be noted that Stroud is still not great under pressure but scheme and o-line mean he gets to ball out when he isn't being pressured.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

I stand by it, he was way better than the last 3 Bama QBs. Not gonna matter when he gets ruined if they keep this up. I mean to be clear both Hurts and Tua needed new coaches and multiple years to look good so don’t give up yet. New OC and some real WRs maybe he turns things around.

I did prefer Stroud though, that I remember clearly just bc Young’s too small.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jfc you guys like to make poo poo up. The stupid test was a twitter thing that everyone brought up in every thread to show how smart they were that they didn't view the rumoured test as important.

It meant nothing to the Panthers and to their front office. They were all happy enough with Stroud but felt that Young had the higher upside. It's 9 games into their career and given everything else that's been detailed ad nauseum that Bryce is in a bad situation not playing well in his most recent game.

Its insane to label Bryce a bust and stupid to say that Stroud is some mecha God of quarterbacking at this point in their careers. It's not a zero sum game.

Give it a season. Panthers need to unfuck themselves so badly in about 9 other areas before you even get to Bryce. I mean poo poo everyone was all over Will Levis dick a week ago because he hucked some long ones to Hopkins when he was absolutely hated for months because he committed the crimes of being weird with food and being a buff white dude coming out.

Waaaaay too reactionary over a very small sample size with a whole lot of mitigating factors.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

stupid test v. short test

choose wisely

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

The337th posted:

stupid test v. short test

choose wisely

I may be stupid but at least I'm not short

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

I fully expect that at some point Bryce Young will get sacked so hard that his cleats and helmet will be all that's left, spinning in a cloud of dust while Kayvon Thibodeaux Thriller dances in the background.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think they also still employ one of Mike Lombardi's failsons despite firing Mick.

The Lombardi failson was fired (source: Mike Lombardi himself)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Qb height is mostly a draft meme, but Bryce young is so small he should never have been a serious choice as a qb in the NFL. No amount of skill and intelligence can overcome the massive disadvantages he faces. It's geometry.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Isentropy posted:

The Lombardi failson was fired (source: Mike Lombardi himself)

Mick Lombardi the OC in name only was fired. Matt Lombardi still exists.

https://www.raiders.com/team/coaches-roster/matt-lombardi

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Can we take a pause and remember how McDaniels was broken by his own players, news moves fast and I don't want to forget.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Febreeze posted:

I don’t think Justin Fields or especially Josh Rosen are guys that “played really well” and “made everyone wonder how they fell that far.”

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

Gorson posted:

Can we take a pause and remember how McDaniels was broken by his own players, news moves fast and I don't want to forget.

Never pass up an opening to laugh at McDaniels.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Gorson posted:

McDaniels was once again defected by the 2007 Giants defense.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Josh McDaniels is the only coach in NFL history who's ever lost to Jeff Saturday

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Josh McDaniels lost to Jeff Saturday
Josh McDaniels lost to Baker Mayfield as a Ram, something he was for a total of 48 hours at the time of the win
Josh McDaniels lost to undrafted rookie Tyson Bagent's first ever start, quarterbacking one of the worst teams in the entire league

McDaniels is a masterpiece

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Gorson posted:

I don't really buy this interpretation of events. I think it's more likely that he was being a petulant pissbaby, and was hoping they would fail without his "leadership" and that they'd come back asking him to coach them hard again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Febreeze posted:

Josh McDaniels lost to Jeff Saturday
Josh McDaniels lost to Baker Mayfield as a Ram, something he was for a total of 48 hours at the time of the win
Josh McDaniels lost to undrafted rookie Tyson Bagent's first ever start, quarterbacking one of the worst teams in the entire league

McDaniels is a masterpiece

Those first two weren't actually McDaniels and were the NFL.