Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd much rather have a bunch of dialogue than a bunch of meaningless action like in Falcon and Winter Soldier.

It's funny how people like James Cameron wrote the book on what good action should be, you should understand what is happening at all times, all scenes should progress the plot forward. But like new directors come up all the time and just ~insert a bunch of quick movements that makes no sense here~ and then the plot continues as if it never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You guys know there's a series 2 of loki, right? Last episode comes out this week?

Anyway my wife sent me this this morning and jesus christ it's so correct it hurts (also wait, is this daft punk song really an old song no way)
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7295752495266139422

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

You guys know there's a series 2 of loki, right? Last episode comes out this week?

Anyway my wife sent me this this morning and jesus christ it's so correct it hurts (also wait, is this daft punk song really an old song no way)

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I don’t think I’ve watched any Marvel stuff since the first Thanos movie. Saw the finale for Endgame on like YouTube and that was good enough for me.
If I have I don’t remember at all.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Man the last two were really really good and I'm not a marvel fanboy in any way

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Really liking Loki

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
We were just talking about this in the MCU TV thread. Falcon and the Winter Soldier got hosed over hard by COVID. Not just in filming, but in story too. The original story called for the badguys (Flagsmashers) to try and go back to life during the Snap by releasing a virus that would kill 50% of the population. Obviously, in the face of real.life global pandemic that may have had the ability to do just that, they rewrote everything on the fly. I think more time, or the original story would have made that show a lot better.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Also on the subject of LotR, I’ve never read any of the books, but I found an old pre-movie copy of The Fellowship of the Ring at a Goodwill a while back, and brought it with camping this summer. GF decided to take a hammock nap one afternoon so I just grabbed a beer and my chair and walked straight out of the back of our site and into the woods for like five minutes until I found a nice spot, and read the first chapter with a couple of red squirrels running around me and it was pretty great.

Still haven’t touched chapter two yet though lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You should read chapter two today.

Most people who don't read the books stop before Bree. If you make it to Bree you'll never put it down. poo poo takes off at the Prancing Pony. I remember being absolutely intrigued by this Strider dude, who could he be? Important, no doubt.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

T-Square posted:

Also on the subject of LotR, I’ve never read any of the books, but I found an old pre-movie copy of The Fellowship of the Ring at a Goodwill a while back, and brought it with camping this summer. GF decided to take a hammock nap one afternoon so I just grabbed a beer and my chair and walked straight out of the back of our site and into the woods for like five minutes until I found a nice spot, and read the first chapter with a couple of red squirrels running around me and it was pretty great.

Still haven’t touched chapter two yet though lol

First chapter is just Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday party, right? Seems like a decent party.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It takes those books so long to get going it’s insane. Like you’re halfway through book one and Frodo is still moving to a different house in the Shire and hanging out with random cousins and singing songs for three pages. They’re great after that though!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I recently reread LOTR for the first time since I was a teenager. They are so freaking good, wow. Tolkien absolutely loved to write about travel through shifting landscapes

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Air Skwirl posted:

First chapter is just Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday party, right? Seems like a decent party.

Then Frodo sits around for a decade with the ring not doing anything while stuff happens off screen

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Every once in a while I read the Scouring of the Shire and the Gray Havens when I'm bored. Then the appendices until I get choked up.

I realize even for the extended editions it would be insane to spend the kind of money it would take to film them but when you read them you can imagine the Peter Jackson version vividly.

Like you wouldn't think imagining Sean Astin running around the Shire putting fine grains of dust into plants would be exciting but it is. Proper 1420, that was

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Leperflesh posted:

Harder Better Faster Stronger is old enough to legally purchase alcohol in the US.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

a sexual elk posted:

The Spider-Man meme was the best part

Spiderverse not LotR

Aragon crashing into a truck woulda been funny tho

FAPPO!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

It’s ending already? I’m only four in on the new season, good night that was fast.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Little known fact he really ran into that catering truck and they kept it in the final cut cause his “FAPPO!” was so authentic.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Waaaaaay late but condolences, Pain of Mind & kiimo.

I'm meeting up with my cousin for dinner tonight. He's in town because Disney on Ice is doing Frozen & Encanto at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Phew.

https://x.com/thehill/status/1721848997743108542?s=20

We just have to vote for him one more time and THIS time he will do good things and not double child poverty or fund a genocide.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kalli posted:

Trying to get my rear end out to go vote even if the only thing to vote for is a councilor that wants to fix a bad intersection.

I'm sorry, I do not know any of these library trustees beyond that none of them are book banning psychos.

Hell same.

Although we have a couple of Trumpers running for city council positions. And one anti-mask soccer mom running for a school board position where I was glad to fill in the bubble for the other guy even though I barely knew anything about him.

Also Loki is the best thing Marvel has made since Endgame. Wandavision was decent but the rest has been kinda eh.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

swickles posted:

We were just talking about this in the MCU TV thread. Falcon and the Winter Soldier got hosed over hard by COVID. Not just in filming, but in story too. The original story called for the badguys (Flagsmashers) to try and go back to life during the Snap by releasing a virus that would kill 50% of the population. Obviously, in the face of real.life global pandemic that may have had the ability to do just that, they rewrote everything on the fly. I think more time, or the original story would have made that show a lot better.

drat this makes a ton of sense. The Flagsmashers always felt half cooked as a baddie.

I'm liking Loki a lot as a "oh yeah we're gonna go hard to mind gently caress you" and I actually liked Secret Invasion. The bad CGI stuff was bad because they put Dave Bautista's arm on 5'2" Emilia Clarke and stupid decisions like that. I hated what they did with Rhodey but Skrull Rhodes was a fun character and I liked Gravik's big speech to Fury. It did a good job of bridging the gap between Captain Marvel's ramifications and the present. There were some mind-numbing decisions though. gently caress how they did Maria Hill though.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Doubling child poverty was a Joe Manchin special.

Biden has been really good on labor, brought in a good new SC justice, and has earnestly tried on student loan reform. Sadly, I think the only Dem who ran in 2020 that wouldn't be full throatedly supporting the ongoing mass murder of children is Bernie, and even he has been pretty bad on this one.

I'm in Oregon so I'll vote for a protest candidate if there is one worth a poo poo, but if I were in a swing state I'd still hold my nose and vote for Biden.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
we had 12 state constitution amendments, most of which made sense and would actually be good things, a few which will likely win and shouldn't but lol texas would protect the wealthy from ever being taxed (as if texas would), fund creating natural gas power plants (lol after the ice storm and those fucks not investing in our private infrastructure) and some weird farming poo poo that seems aimed at protecting corporate farming polluters/nuisances.

there are some good ones to increase teacher retirement amounts and invest in some of the smaller universities.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Biden has been really good on labor

Outside of, you know, turbofucking rail workers last year.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Timby posted:

Outside of, you know, turbofucking rail workers last year.

Negotiations continued and the railworkers got the sick days that had been holding up a deal.

IBEW posted:

“We’re thankful that the Biden administration played the long game on sick days and stuck with us for months after Congress imposed our updated national agreement,” Russo said. “Without making a big show of it, Joe Biden and members of his administration in the Transportation and Labor departments have been working continuously to get guaranteed paid sick days for all railroad workers.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Shhhh the internet leftists are mad he didn’t let his dick on the table in week 1

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I mean, if he were going to do leftist stuff he prob should’ve done it with control of both the house and senate.

Maybe I’m not thinking about this the right way—it would make sense for him to take a hard left turn when there no risk of any of it passing.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
'control' is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, given the centrists that jump ship any time any actual progressive agenda is introduced.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This guys gonna be president one day

https://x.com/redistrict/status/1722047246512832967?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah not sure “I like poverty for kids” Manchin or “lobbyist Barbie” sinema were going to do much of loving anything.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Dang, I would have assumed he'd have no shot at reelection. Good on him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Biden is probably better on domestic labor issues than any other president in the 21st century, my main issue is he's providing material and diplomatic support for a genocide.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Wanda vision was great except the last ten minutes of the last episode were so bad they made me angry and I struggle to not let it taint the rest of the season.

I've never instantly turned on a character quicker.

quote:

I will give Falcon Winter Soldier credit for having one of the rawest conversations I've seen in big ticket media in awhile. There's one line in particular I'm surprised Disney let them get away with.

They should have made the whole series around Isiah Bradley and the new Tuskegee Experiment

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Abugadu posted:

'control' is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, given the centrists that jump ship any time any actual progressive agenda is introduced.

The air quotes are certainly implied there, but count me out if you want me lining up to kick that football again.

He’ll get my vote, but only out of the barest concern for an unhinged trump presidency. Biden loving sucks and has gone on record time and again against progressive causes.

Air Skwirl posted:

Biden is probably better on domestic labor issues than any other president in the 21st century, my main issue is he's providing material and diplomatic support for a genocide.

Enthusiastic support, at that.

Not to mention all of his shrugging at border wall construction, continued expanded fossil fuel leases, etc ad nauseam.

Anyway, gently caress Joe and gently caress this stupid system.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
In better news, giving a transpacific fist bump to Ohioans out there, looks to be a good election day for them.

Also, there is something horribly, horribly wrong with the fact that I need to go to SA to find up-to-the-minute news on US elections. Like, I get that the GBS hivemind works as an aggregator, but the state of the press today is just pathetic.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
One of my college graduating classmates is married to a long-serving city council member here, I make sure that I get to city elections and toss him a vote.

My ballot today had about 20 questions asking if various local/state judges should or shouldn't be retained for the next term, I noped out of that one pretty quickly. Sorry I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of our court of common pleas!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Always vote no on judges

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1722072374718169538

was bombarded with ads basically making it a referendum on abortion

suck it dollar store desantis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I went to go pickup food at the bar by my house for my wife and I. They are having the watch party for what’s basically the local republicans who are trying to take the city council under the guise of stopping rezoning some single family homes to apartments.

The reality is they want to slash taxes and kill all the community projects for the next decade.

These idiots just read out the advance voting results that were available the second the polls closed almost two hours ago and cheered.

The same loving morons that tried to get 3 ballot measure onto the ballot and were all declared unconstitutional. One almost hit me pulling into the parking lot.

A younger me would go over and ruin their night. Old me just wants my to go order to take long enough that I can laugh at them on the way out.