Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

kinda same for climbing a star destroyer sized dragon that you're preeeetty sure is petrified or was never alive to begin with but you're not 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My first couple days with the game I immediately vented off in was felt like the wrong direction just to see how far I could get, ended up blowing passed the first big boss and castle area entirely and fought my own gauntlet of "bosses" that were actually chimp enemies if you're appropriately geared or leveled. I got up to the Golden City eventually and felt like I might be skipping to what looked at the time to be the final level and started working my way backwards through everything.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

NikkolasKing posted:

I think Pillars of Eternity 1 had an absolutely fascinating approach to this since, while your past is "predetermined" in the sense that it's based on a list of options, you get to pick which options. I remember being very confused when this all came up in some totally random dialogue several hours into the game because I didn't know what to pick. And the point is...you don't have to pick anything, it is just whatever sounds or feels right to you. And then it has stupendous payoff in the best written scene in the game.

God I love that game's ending. Takes 100 hours of more or less simply okay game to get there but it was all worth it for one of my favorite endings in any video game ever.

PoE really did kick rear end, and I always struggle with those Infinity Engine games

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Khanstant posted:

My first couple days with the game I immediately vented off in was felt like the wrong direction just to see how far I could get, ended up blowing passed the first big boss and castle area entirely and fought my own gauntlet of "bosses" that were actually chimp enemies if you're appropriately geared or leveled. I got up to the Golden City eventually and felt like I might be skipping to what looked at the time to be the final level and started working my way backwards through everything.

I did something very similar, I remember when I got back to the Golden City I was hyper cautious, because when I got there early level everything just tore me apart. After a long (long) time of playing like this, I thought, "Oh hang on, I should actually be able to fight stuff here though" and then IMMEDIATELY had my rear end handed to me by some dude. I panicked and ran, got confused / lost and ended up running away into that horrific underground bit and just making GBS threads my pants in awe that it was there.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Funny you mention the horrific underground bit cuz I just finished it. After my third death by imps/falling in that big tall room with the pipes and lobsters at the bottom I decided to keep count of how many times I died just in that room: 44.

Not sure how many runes I lost due to falling again before retrieval but I do know I lost 70k at once in one spectacular plummet.

There were other deaths down there of course but that room stood out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I think my first time in that place was in co-op and it had already been cleared out on the pipes, so the lobsters were the only real surprise and threat. When I got to that place myself I was like pfft this place again, ezpz and then some fucker popped out the wall and stabbed me off the pipes.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Unpopular Videogame Opinion: All the drat souls games could implement an easier difficulty mode in numerous possible fashions without "compromising the vision" or some poo poo. Even if it's dumb and cheap adjustments like only losing half your souls when you die or giving bosses less health. That poo poo wouldn't compromise the gameplay loop or the cool storytelling that makes the series good.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

that would remove the primary feature of souls games though (which is looking down on people who aren’t good at souls games)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

emSparkly posted:

Unpopular Videogame Opinion: All the drat souls games could implement an easier difficulty mode in numerous possible fashions without "compromising the vision" or some poo poo. Even if it's dumb and cheap adjustments like only losing half your souls when you die or giving bosses less health. That poo poo wouldn't compromise the gameplay loop or the cool storytelling that makes the series good.

Get good

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

it’s what the people crave

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Remedy peaked with Max Payne. The only one of their games to actually have good protagonist and good writing that mixes up influences instead of just regurgitating them.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Souls game difficulty setting is the gear you're using and how you distribute your stats.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Souls games are pretty much the punching down of video games. It's sad that so many so called leftists are totally into punching down when it comes to a game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dick Fontaine posted:

that would remove the primary feature of souls games though (which is looking down on people who aren’t good at souls games)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

emSparkly posted:

It's called Elden Ring and it did really well so presumably the future incarnations will lean into it as well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm bad at video games and I've beaten multiple from games all it takes is ~°*believe in yourself*°~

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I beat a bundle of skeletons to death with a whip in Elden Ring

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

emSparkly posted:

"In universe" difficulty options like the ones that already exist in Souls games are the best version, but if you must have a difficulty mode selection screen the easy mode needs to at least depict your character wearing a pinafore or chicken hat or something.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Elden Ring was almost too easy with the difficulty turned all the way down

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Souls games aren't actually hard, though. They are just obtuse. "Easy mode" would just be a version where you can actually read what the various stats actually do.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are lots of ways the games could be improved just by putting some thought into the game.

A quest tab to keep track of that sort of thing. It doesn't need map icons, or even a map. But just something to track what the hell you are doing would help a lot. Also, quests that you can't negate just by doing something without realizing it kills the quest. That's just bad quest design. Souls games have arguably the worst designed quests, consistently, of any popular games ever.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Soulsborne difficulty is so tied into how the fundamental gameplay works that having an “easy mode” would break the game. The uniqueness of soulsborne gameplay is that “rhythm” created between alternating dodges/attacks/stamina/poise/etc. Enemies from the tutorial zombies to the bosses have are designed around how that rhythm prevents you from just button mashing and face-tanking. An “easy-mode” wouldn’t work and would be poo poo precisely because it makes button mashing and face tanking viable, and if those are viable it means you aren’t engaging with the games unique systems in which case why are you even playing a soulslike instead of god of war?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Waltzing Along posted:

There are lots of ways the games could be improved just by putting some thought into the game.

A quest tab to keep track of that sort of thing. It doesn't need map icons, or even a map. But just something to track what the hell you are doing would help a lot. Also, quests that you can't negate just by doing something without realizing it kills the quest. That's just bad quest design. Souls games have arguably the worst designed quests, consistently, of any popular games ever.

This take is too hot, even for the bad opinions thread

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If I never see a quest tab again it'll be too soon.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Waltzing Along posted:

Get a drat notebook, Poindexter.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Souls games don't have quests. They have scattered events that occur based on various actions you perform at various times and places in the game world. Nerds who can't view things outside the context of tropes and cliches previously established by other games they've played like to pidgeonhole these parts of Souls games as "quests" and then criticize them for being bad examples of them. Souls games not having a quest log is part of the point, same reason the screen isn't covered with HUD markers. Just chill out, stop treating the game as an itemized shopping list, and try to come to terms with maybe not 100%'ing it on your first casual playthrough and you'll have a much better time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

emSparkly posted:

I just use cheat engine

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
God helps those who cheatengine themselves.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

galagazombie posted:

Soulsborne difficulty is so tied into how the fundamental gameplay works that having an “easy mode” would break the game. The uniqueness of soulsborne gameplay is that “rhythm” created between alternating dodges/attacks/stamina/poise/etc. Enemies from the tutorial zombies to the bosses have are designed around how that rhythm prevents you from just button mashing and face-tanking. An “easy-mode” wouldn’t work and would be poo poo precisely because it makes button mashing and face tanking viable, and if those are viable it means you aren’t engaging with the games unique systems in which case why are you even playing a soulslike instead of god of war?

This is true of every easy difficulty ever. There are games with the easiest difficulty labeled "story" because of the way easy difficulties don't force interaction with game mechanics.

Dark souls games don't have some super magical design that makes them different and special here.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 44 hours!)

FoolyCharged posted:

Dark souls games don't have some super magical design that makes them different and special here.

uh yeah, they do

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

all this souls hype has perked my interest

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

numberoneposter posted:

all this souls hype has perked my interest

Good! And I hope ypu enjoy it! Because it's a good thing that people can enjoy games I do not and have a good time with them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope the main guy feels better someday and we get a game where everyone is pretty content and happy with living in the broken cinders of a memory of the dead world.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd like to see from make a game with a different plot for once. I thought ER might be the one but it was the same poo poo as every other game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They don’t really have plots and I am more than ok with that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, I really thought GRRM would've brought some tedious war of the roses type politicking to the story, but it just feels like a different set of characters and names for the same concepts and problems.

If nothing else, if they're gonna keep doing the same "dying gasps of doomed civilizations unable or unwilling to let go" type setting then at least move past the castles phase. No reason they can't do a Blight Burbs and Anor Walmart in a more modern setting

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

Souls games don't have quests. They have scattered events that occur based on various actions you perform at various times and places in the game world. Nerds who can't view things outside the context of tropes and cliches previously established by other games they've played like to pidgeonhole these parts of Souls games as "quests" and then criticize them for being bad examples of them. Souls games not having a quest log is part of the point, same reason the screen isn't covered with HUD markers. Just chill out, stop treating the game as an itemized shopping list, and try to come to terms with maybe not 100%'ing it on your first casual playthrough and you'll have a much better time.

I murdered the hell out of the dude who called Fia a whore and I don't even care if I'm missing out on poo poo because of that. Fia was my bro :(

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

If nothing else, if they're gonna keep doing the same "dying gasps of doomed civilizations unable or unwilling to let go" type setting then at least move past the castles phase. No reason they can't do a Blight Burbs and Anor Walmart in a more modern setting

Bioshock sucked though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I hated how everyone was saying Bioshock was an evolution of System Shock because it wasn't. It had vending machines and that's about the only thing they had in common.

People say Prey is like a new System Shock and that one bothers me less because Prey is a good game. But if it ain't SHODAN being a bitch, it ain't System Shock and you can gently caress off.

I will admit, I didn't see would you kindly coming at all, but I don't pay much attention to story. And certainly not individual pieces of dialogue.