Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Ostrava posted:

The best method I've found so far is to work in this order:

Roads
Tracks
Tram stop
Pathways built from low to high

Can you show a screenshot? I can't figure out how to hook it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sim City 4 also sucked rear end at terrain changes. And Cities Skylines 1. And Sim City 2000.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Turk posted:

Can you show a screenshot? I can't figure out how to hook it all up.

Examples here in this post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706710&pagenumber=540#post535783374

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Thank you.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am happy when a city builder, as the kids say nowadays, "transport-pills" people. Yeah, trams sharing track with cars loving sucks. Same for buses. Give them exclusive lanes and right of way so they will always be faster than the car brained masses enjoying their congestion and traffic jams. You can move a ton of people quickly, quietly, and efficiently. Next, use taxes levied on cars to subsidise free at point of service public transport. Use the reduced volume of car traffic to close streets to through traffic, especially those with street level commercial spaces. As people feel more comfortable staying on the streets local businesses experience a growth in customers and the neighbourhood becomes more pleasant to live in.

Oh, and you could do some of that in the game, too, I guess.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

I am happy when a city builder, as the kids say nowadays, "transport-pills" people. Yeah, trams sharing track with cars loving sucks. Same for buses. Give them exclusive lanes and right of way so they will always be faster than the car brained masses enjoying their congestion and traffic jams. You can move a ton of people quickly, quietly, and efficiently. Next, use taxes levied on cars to subsidise free at point of service public transport. Use the reduced volume of car traffic to close streets to through traffic, especially those with street level commercial spaces. As people feel more comfortable staying on the streets local businesses experience a growth in customers and the neighbourhood becomes more pleasant to live in.

Oh, and you could do some of that in the game, too, I guess.

Car bad, train good.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

mutata posted:

Sim City 4 also sucked rear end at terrain changes. And Cities Skylines 1. And Sim City 2000.

Excuse me, can you do something like this to power an entire city in any other game?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's perfect.

Now build a tunnel.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

mutata posted:

I cannot let you besmirch the sacred name of SC2K.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

It works if you don't start the pathway on the actual train tracks. That is what I was doing wrong. Just start the pathway in front of it. Thanks again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Really wish they had stairs, my only reason for not doing raised tracks as much is having to make a huge-rear end ramp to get up to it. It's not that bad I just wish there was a way to make them more compact.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Streetside pneumatic tubes.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes! Then I can finally build New New York!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hfcnm8V4fA

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

explosivo posted:

Really wish they had stairs, my only reason for not doing raised tracks as much is having to make a huge-rear end ramp to get up to it. It's not that bad I just wish there was a way to make them more compact.

Same. I always just use the steepest ramp in CS1 and just went "pretend its stairs" in my head for this reason.

A little elevator + a square spiral of stairs around them is a fairly common feature of the city trains I've used before (C-Train and Skytrain) and would be a handy thing for the game.

Also while we're wishing for stuff I've personally experienced, a +15 system in the downtown core for maps with a cold winter would be cool.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Jyrraeth posted:

A little elevator + a square spiral of stairs around them is a fairly common feature of the city trains I've used before (C-Train and Skytrain) and would be a handy thing for the game.

Knowing that pedestrian paths can rise up to meet elevated stations is nice, it would be cool if that can be detailed a little more with mods/assets. My big metro experience is the Chicago el, where a lot of the stations are pretty different from each other physically - beung able to build the ones they have inbetween the highways that rise up to an overpass at street level for emtry would be nice.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh so uh it turns out you don't need any stairs at all. People just sorta phase through the floor where they need to go.

Edit: Hmm, a new separate tram line is not quite doing this but I do see a couple people trickling into the trams without having a way up.

Edit 2: Really good shout about the elevated tram lines though. They're finnicky to place but when you can get a simple one way loop going up and down a busy road that alone helps a ton. I just wish the pedestrian paths were less annoying to hook up and the aforementioned stairs was a thing to make it less of a pain in the rear end to work with.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 7, 2023

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Ostrava posted:

Don't sleep on trams ya'll. I'd ignored them for a bit but tonight I spent time experimenting with them and I genuinely think they may be the best public transport for super dense cities now that I understand some of the weird poo poo they do.

-Elevated trams above Medium 4 lanes @ 10m work well but will have oddities forming four way intersections.
-Large 6 lane roads make it super easy to form four way elevated tram intersections.
-Don't place tracks directly at road level if you can avoid it. I was using trams like street cars because I didn't realize they could elevate directly above existing roads.
-If you're having trouble placing elevated track 90% of the time I've been able to resolve the conflict by raising the tram another 5m or carefully placing each section before the road below hits an intersection or turn.
-You can stick elevated tram pillars in the middle of intersection round abouts. (Probably have to have round abouts for this)
-Trams can descend from 10m to 0m in a surprisingly short distance which makes it pretty easy to jam stops in just about any where.
- You can put tram stops in the air and provide ramps up to them which will make adding stops even easier.
-Snapping prevents being able to place trams as often as it helps I keep it off unless I want a specific snap type for the tram track.
-Specialized industry area gently caress with tram placement, move the area back place the track then replace the area
-Elevated tracks can be placed over the top of elevated roads but you need to set the elevation to the elevation of the road below + what ever elevation value you want for the track. The support pillars will also connect to the ground not the road below. It's confusing until you try it.
-Trams can make tighter turns than you'd expect. I don't know the max but it's some where between 90 and 120 degrees.
-With tram tracks selected and the replace mode active you can paint track onto existing streets. This might be useful with divided roads? It sucks otherwise because the trams conflict with cars and are subject to their traffic jams.
-If you can't bulldoze a track because of "Overlapping items" it's because the track is longer or shorter than the road it's on top of and the seems over lap each other which makes it one big road/track blob. You have to take the whole thing apart if this happens. I avoid this by trying to match the length of road section and track section where I can
-Trams might make a near carless city a realistic goal

Example of a raised stops.

Why you shouldn't put tracks at street level.

Raised tracks function as sidewalks too? Not sure if bug.

Trams are about 7 times more dense than cars

Well... poo poo this has applications

Hive cities seeming more possible

Jesus Christ. I just redid my entire tram system without knowing you could elevate tracks :(

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Jyrraeth posted:

Same. I always just use the steepest ramp in CS1 and just went "pretend its stairs" in my head for this reason.

Also while we're wishing for stuff I've personally experienced, a +15 system in the downtown core for maps with a cold winter would be cool.

You could also take it in the other direction for cold maps, Montreal-style. Or even Tokyo-style, doesn't necessarily have to be for weather if the land value is obscene.

Now I want a superlight C zone type that can be zoned alongside foot-only tunnels.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There's no subway in CS:2?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

death cob for cutie posted:

Knowing that pedestrian paths can rise up to meet elevated stations is nice, it would be cool if that can be detailed a little more with mods/assets. My big metro experience is the Chicago el, where a lot of the stations are pretty different from each other physically - beung able to build the ones they have inbetween the highways that rise up to an overpass at street level for emtry would be nice.

Sounds like the El train does what the C train does sometimes.
(I used to think it was the L-train, whoops)

The stops for the trams now are just so naked compared to what I've seen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nitrousoxide posted:

There is

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

There is, but it's locked behind a lot more progression, a lot more money/land area per depot when counting curve restrictions, and station C is limited to a platform kiosk building addon.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Jyrraeth posted:

(I used to think it was the L-train, whoops)

lots of people do - it's short for "elevated". you see it called the "L" in official CTA documents, with quotes; a lot of people type "el" because it's clearer in context - especially if you're talking to someone from like, NYC, where the L train is a specific line.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Mandoric posted:

You could also take it in the other direction for cold maps, Montreal-style. Or even Tokyo-style, doesn't necessarily have to be for weather if the land value is obscene.

Now I want a superlight C zone type that can be zoned alongside foot-only tunnels.

I searched for "Montreal style +15" and got nothing but BAGELS on google image search. I guess Montreal calls it the Underground City if Wikipedia is to believed? Totally agree with the superlight C zone, its not much of a thing when I was last living in Calgary but they're fairly common here in Vancouver.

Not to beat a dead horse but Commercial zones needs a revamp. Big Box, (strip) malls, Commercial/Office mixed use, tiny little stores, food carts, etc.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
How are y’all doing bus routes? I’m lucky to get 9% utilization and routes I make I and deleting because they’re never used. I sprinkle C throughout the R zones and I is spaced further away. I do little routes feeding into one route to the I zone.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jyrraeth posted:

I searched for "Montreal style +15" and got nothing but BAGELS on google image search. I guess Montreal calls it the Underground City if Wikipedia is to believed? Totally agree with the superlight C zone, its not much of a thing when I was last living in Calgary but they're fairly common here in Vancouver.

Not to beat a dead horse but Commercial zones needs a revamp. Big Box, (strip) malls, Commercial/Office mixed use, tiny little stores, food carts, etc.

You mean “Light C” that’s nothing but freestanding single stores and 75% gas stations isn’t accurate?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Jyrraeth posted:

Yeah, "opposite direction" in that rather than skyways between the downtown buildings, pedestrian tunnels between the downtown core buildings and their nearest metro stations eventually grew into something very like a huge -10 (and -15 and -20!) mall. Getting the full mall aspect would require a serious rethink of high-density C/O to have models that could connect both at street level and underground, to take delivery of significant amounts of goods, but service and low-volume C would "just" need the engine to support zoning at multiple Z levels. (this might not actually be any easier TBH)

Oh, relatedly, since there's already a no trucks ordinance and already transit logic for running day, night, or day/night, I'd love to be able to declare "no trucks 6:00~18:00" for downtown C and "no trucks 18:00~6:00" for residential.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
I ended up just disconnecting my city from the highway and only using pedestrian streets with tram tracks. I still get some weirdos driving on the pedestrian roads, but otherwise it's just trams and service vehicles. gently caress cars, don't need 'em.

I fully expect this to blow up in my face as my population grows, but it's working fine at 30k.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just spent a couple hours redoing the trams as an El and whilst there is some weird finnickness, and doubly so connecting pathways (Yeah we definitely need stairs or elevators to do this really well), but it's working really well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey even if there's stairs you still need wheelchair access.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MikeJF posted:

That's what a ramp at a 30 degree slope is for!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MikeJF posted:

Once again,

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Anime Store Adventure posted:

You mean “Light C” that’s nothing but freestanding single stores and 75% gas stations isn’t accurate?

Depends on your denominator for the 75% gas stations. :colbert:

I do understand this is Calgary, which is very car brained and I hunted around to where I could find more gas stations. Most of the time there's two on either direction on a major commuter route but otherwise nothing like the game where you'll get an entire block.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Jesus Christ. I just redid my entire tram system without knowing you could elevate tracks :(

Same man, same.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jyrraeth posted:

are you using the maximum lot size? that's what the largest footprint of NA low density commercial buildings are modeled after, iirc they start to look like that at around level 4/5. the game should have had something like rowhouse style commercial for strip malls though.

another issue with commercial is that the actual building assets are 30-50% gas stations depending on the zone depth. there's one 2x2 and one 2x3 low density commercial buildings and one 2x2 and one 2x3 gas station, which i think might be why people are getting streets that are nothing but gas stations

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Doing the Trams and it seems my cims can just float down to the Subway entrance. I've even made paths on the other side for them.

Turk fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 7, 2023

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

SMH they modelled teeth but not gravity.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Infidelicious posted:

SMH they modelled teeth but not gravity.

The weight of Cims teeth are pulling them down.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

I moved it to the other side of the street and they no longer float down to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

death cob for cutie posted:

lots of people do - it's short for "elevated". you see it called the "L" in official CTA documents, with quotes; a lot of people type "el" because it's clearer in context - especially if you're talking to someone from like, NYC, where the L train is a specific line.

the R, L, and N lines all stand for Rarely, Late, and Never :dadjoke:

Know what I miss from mods? multi-platform subway stations. Seems pretty basic to me.