Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
It’s always fascinating to hear others experiences, for me when I found Magic Sculpt it was like a revelation, I found everything easier than greenstuff.

Now I’m wondering about this mixing the two types of clay y’all are talking about, just to see what I’m missing.

I’m also thinking of trying miniature paints again, i switched to craft paints fifteen years ago because the mini paints at the time just weren’t worth it to me. (Except metallics and glazes.) Now it seems craft paints are way worse, any new bottles don’t stand up to old ones I still had and revived. And miniature paints are way better!

Getting back into the hobby after being gone years and years is crazy. So much information and goods are available now, its almost overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Kneadatite + Milliput is a magical combination that gets you any degree of sculptability depending on the ratio you mix it in

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Toebone posted:

Freehand wasn’t cutting it and I didn’t want to go buy tiny masking tape I’d use exactly once, so I 3d printed a little template for sketching the lines in

I bought lil stickers for this

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Toebone posted:

Freehand wasn’t cutting it and I didn’t want to go buy tiny masking tape I’d use exactly once, so I 3d printed a little template for sketching the lines in

Steal how?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Z the IVth posted:

Can you post an actual unpainted mini because I have feeling its your model that is trash, not your painting.

It could be both!

I don't wanna be to mean to these bolds because my friend gave me these to paint

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 7, 2023

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Mostly followed this, but did an extra sepia wash over the hazard stripes before drybrushing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/necromunda/comments/nu801w/tutorial_for_painting_necromunda_bases/

Ominous Jazz posted:

It could be both!

I don't wanna be to mean to these bolds because my friend gave me these to paint

Are you priming the mini before painting it? That doesn’t look like fun to paint either way.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 7, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Ominous Jazz posted:

Your friend set you up the bomb. Those are some extremely soft lines, which are going to be a real pain to paint. Don't go all sunk fallacy here, he didn't give them to you because they were awesome and he wanted to share the fun.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Toebone posted:

Are you priming the mini before painting it? That doesn’t look like fun to paint either way.

I am, with some difficulty

Slyphic posted:

Your friend set you up the bomb. Those are some extremely soft lines, which are going to be a real pain to paint. Don't go all sunk fallacy here, he didn't give them to you because they were awesome and he wanted to share the fun.

He explicitly gave them to me because he tried painting them and didn't like to do so

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can get a real easy fix if you happen to have a Warhammer store nearby, they give out free models and painting lessons to get people to buy stuff.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ominous Jazz posted:

I am, with some difficulty

He explicitly gave them to me because he tried painting them and didn't like to do so

And now that you've tried and it sounds like did not like painting them either, it's time to cut your losses of "free bad minis + time". If you want to paint, do yourself a favor and learn on a good model. Come back to these when you want to challenge yourself.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If spray priming is being a nightmare, get brush on primer

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

If spray priming is being a nightmare, get brush on primer

I need to give it another go, but my experience with brush-on primer was that it's as much a pain in the rear end as trying to put any other paint directly on plastic. Not nightmarish, but a whole hassle.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Another thing I like about green stuff is that it is stickier than any other epoxy putty I've tried. Sometimes you just really want your putty to stick well to a previous layer or armature. Pure magic sculpt, apoxie or milliput has, in my experience, an annoying tendency to just fall off.

At some point in nearly all my sculpts I break out the superglue.

But I've found that Greenstuff doesn't always blend into Greenstuff that well sometimes, whereas pure magic sculpt can partially dissolve in water and achieve a smooth join much like blending clay. They don't blend into each other very well.

Ominous Jazz posted:

It could be both!

Ok I take my previous comment back.

I don't think even Jen Haley could make that miniature look good.

Bin it and literally buy anything else to paint. Even green army men would be better holy poo poo that miniature is horrific.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Holy poo poo, it's like they made a miniature out of... I dunno, cancer? It's nothing but lumps. No paint job can make that look good, there are no details to pull out. If it wasn't still vaguely man-shaped I'd call it a plastic mini that was left in a hot car for too long.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I think we were too harsh on your undercoating tbh; The paint wasnt clogging detail, the sculptor beat you to it.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I found where your buddy got them from. https://www.amazon.com/Figures-Designs-Hex-Sized-Compatible-Pathfinder/dp/B07P72V66B

You've actually done a better job painting them than the pre-"painted" version they sell.

I can't stop laughing at the video. The sheer balls to put those words next to that picture.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 7, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Please please please go to your LGS and buy literally anything else. The bones models from Reaper are very budget friendly and an order of magnitude of an order of magnitude better than those lumpy nightmares

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Slyphic posted:

I can't stop laughing at the video. The sheer balls to put those words next to that picture.

:byodood:

Somehow these all manage to be Thin Your Paints video worthy before even being painted.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I'm not being hyperbolic when I say those are the worst miniatures I've ever seen. They look like they've been cast with candlewax and then lit

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah seconding getting something like Bones minis or hell, ask your local minis wargaming groups. I’ve seen several beginners/parents/teachers ask for leftover minis to paint, and there are always handfuls of minis given away from various piles of shame. I’ve given away a bunch of kickstarted minis I’ll never use for kids to paint up.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I've been laughing at these kobolds for like 10 minutes my chest hurts, this is absolutely the funniest minis/hobbying thing I've ever seen

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I'm glad I finished painting the smudgy kobolds, they were hideous and very unsatisfying to paint but I learned a lot and got some excellent recommendations to burn a hole through my paycheck.

I gotta get some new paints.

I have... other minis! the ones I primed are the nicer of the ones my friend gave me to paint. I didn't go for these first so that I could have some practice. The others are... slightly less bad drunk'n dragon guards (I had an amazon gift card lying around)

I think I can do better on these ones.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
if you have a store that sells gw poo poo you can ask for the free model they give. they'll give you a free primaris space marine

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

My Spirit Otter posted:

if you have a store that sells gw poo poo you can ask for the free model they give. they'll give you a free primaris space marine

I am planning to head to a store tomorrow

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

:woop: Finished up the first Sternguard from the Leviathan box this evening!

this rules but it also makes me realize something

spiky chaos armor must get its start as candle spikes

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say those are the worst miniatures I've ever seen. They look like they've been cast with candlewax and then lit

This is the post I came here to make.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Nazzadan posted:

I've been laughing at these kobolds for like 10 minutes my chest hurts, this is absolutely the funniest minis/hobbying thing I've ever seen

the gobos are even better

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

It could be both!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

Big fan of the tube top with a belt around it as the only clothing, and the sopping wet base

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bottom Liner posted:

this looks like when I took a lighter to a Hero Quest goblin

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I honestly couldnt tell you if thats the front of the figure or the back.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Compared to those RISK figures are jewel-like objects of wonder.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I'm a fan of their T-pose gnoll with staff/bow?

And like I get it, it's a zombie, that affords it some leeway, but still, the gently caress?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Proxying poxwalkers with stanky-leg-doing zombies

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Slyphic posted:

I found where your buddy got them from. https://www.amazon.com/Figures-Designs-Hex-Sized-Compatible-Pathfinder/dp/B07P72V66B

You've actually done a better job painting them than the pre-"painted" version they sell.

I see, these are meant to represent Kobolds on a more symbolic, abstract level

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
They must be incredibly cheap to produce, for the low level of detail to be worth it. The manufacturer seems to mostly deal in cheap card protectors, dice and terrain, and keeps a low profile online, so who knows how these atrocities came to be.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

this rules but it also makes me realize something

spiky chaos armor must get its start as candle spikes

Thanks and yeah. with a lot of things Chaos they can probably also be traced back to the Word Bearers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Slyphic posted:

Jesus Christ this is what $15 per 8 minis gets you

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Eej posted:

Jesus Christ this is what $15 per 8 minis gets you

You can get D&D Nolzur's minis at $5/two pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Slyphic posted:

This is great for the person who wants to field kobold models but hates painting.

From a distance they look...well you can kinda tell what they're supposed to represent at least. At the end of the day your players won't really care, at least.

These do manage to be a step below the prepainted official D&D minis in terms of quality, which is an accomplishment! You get what you pay for tho.

I'll second the reaper kobolds of which they have several varieties. I'm of the opinion that little trash mobs like these don't need to be painted to a super high quality anyway, so if you were to spend even 5 minutes per model you would make something decent to look at that is leaps and bounds better than those cheap Amazon models.

This reminds me of a guy I knew who collected DND official minis. He would buy the entire set every time a new one came out, dropping several hundred dollars every few months for years and years. He would show up to DND events with a cheap plastic filing cabinet that he attached to a trolly dolly, absolutely FILLED with miniatures. He must've had thousands of them, all organized by type in these ziploc bags. There's something really satisfying about reaching your hand into a bag full of cheap little minis, knowing they're very durable and ready to go.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 8, 2023