Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
God Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is a loathsome movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, was the original short story said movie was based on any better (apparently Devil Doll was a novel as well)?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that or WWWWWFWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD bracelets

Extremely validating to get a Wesley Willis shoutout back in the day

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, was the original short story said movie was based on any better (apparently Devil Doll was a novel as well)?
It's fine. I found it in an old collection of The Best Science Fiction of whichever year it came out. There's absolutely no Casablanca and no oppressive regime and no Fatman, so it's totally focused on Fingal and Apollonia. The scene where she appears to give him a set of commandments is straight out of the story.

The same PBS station also adapted The Lathe of Heaven, and supposedly that's a much better adaptation.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Larryb posted:

This explains it pretty well:

https://daydreamingintext.blogspot.com/2013/08/seek-original-overdrawn-at-memory-bank.html

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

God Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is a loathsome movie.

It's a great MST3K episode, though. Infinitely quotable.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
It's the only episode I managed to tape before Sci-Fi pulled MST3K from reruns, so it's the one I've seen the most and also still one of my favorites :allears: I absolutely love the fake PBS pledge drive Pearl has going on, since it's just like the PBS pledge drives I remember from the time (probably because I grew up in the twin cities media market so I was watching the same PBS station the MST3K crew did).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"What are you going to do?"

"EAT."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mom… my nuts?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Yes, Aram Fingal, from San Juan, Puerto Rico. :rolleyes:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fingal?

"Der Bingle? Pat Hingle?"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I was in fact surprised when they bungled and bobbled the Fingal doppel

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"My name is...Apollonia James."
"I forgot for a second."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did I imagine it Mike or did a chubby angel with gin blossoms just visit us?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
He looks DRUNK to me.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Ooh, stereo cats!

I didn't want to bungle or bobble the Fingal dopple!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

"My name is...Apollonia James."

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I bet no one scrolls up this cinema.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

This is how much pure cocaine you would need to enjoy this movie.

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!
I seem to have died, is that okay?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

DOCTOR WHO...the hell cares!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New interview with Joel:

https://geekvibesnation.com/gvn-interview-joel-hodgson-talks-season-14-of-mystery-science-theater-3000/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is it SEXY?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

You make me tingle, Fingal. Fingal, are you single? Give me a jingle!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

I could quote the entire credit sequence tech support bit... so I will:

Mike: "Man, that was a very bad and confusing movie. I wish there was something we could do."

Crow: "Why don't you call tech support?"

Mike: "Tech support for Overdrawn at the Memory Bank?"

Crow: "I'm sure they get a lot of complaints. They better have a tech support."

Tom: "Why not?"

Mike: "Okay, we'll give it a try. Let's see. 1-800... what, SUCK?"

[phone rings]

Man: "Welcome. Thank you for calling our award winning technical support service for Overdrawn at the Memory Bank. Please be prepared with a specific problem about Overdrawn at the Memory Bank in order to fascilitate assistance from one of our skilled Overdrawn at the Memory Bank technicians."

Mike: "Well yeah, I'm prepared with some specific problems about Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, alright, don't have to worry about that."

Mandy: "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank technical support. This is Mandy, how can I help you?"

Mike: "Well, first of all.."

Mandy: "Sir, let me take care of some common troubleshooting possibilities right away. Are you, in fact, watching Overdrawn at the Memory Bank?"

Mike: "Yes."

Mandy: "We do find that people new to our Overdrawn at the Memory Bank family of viewers can make a simple mistake and actually be watching another movie. If that is the case, we would urge you to call the appropriate technical support service for we are legally unable to provide support for..."

Mike: "Look, look, we're watching Overdrawn at the Memory Bank! The credits are rolling right now."

Mandy: "So it's not complete yet?"

Mike: "Well, no, but I mean..."

Mandy: "We strongly advise our customers to view the entire film. It is impossible for us to gauge the accuracy of any confusion or..."

Mike: "Look, how are the credits going to help the fact that we have no idea what was going on with anything?! What was the 'I'm interfaced' thing about? What was the skinny woman doing when she was licking her watch? And, hey hey, why the pinched-mouth cockney creep? And the guy just reverses the access code :rolleyes: Who thought that was well-crafted screenwriting?"

Mandy: "Sir, ..."

Mike: "And the music was the most insipid..."

Crow: "Banal."

Mike: "banal noodling I've ever heard in my life!"

Mandy: "Sir, those are unfortunate design flaws which we do acknowledge."

Mike: "Well, what I can do about it?"

Mandy: "When did you purchase your version of Overdrawn at the Memory Bank?"

Mike: "I... I didn't purchase it. I just, uh..."

Mandy: "So are an unauthorized viewer of Overdrawn at the Memory Bank?"

Mike: "I don't think..."

Mandy: "I am legally required to report this violation of ..."

Bots: "Hang up! Hang up! Get out of here!"

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 7, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

Joel Hodgson: Well, I want to reiterate that Netflix did not give us any notes. The only one thing they asked us to stop was we would do these little breaks that would be these kinds of moments where we’d reiterate the world of the show. They were kind of like ad breaks. They asked us not to do that because they felt that the viewers might go, “Oh, why is there an ad break?” You know, it doesn’t have to be there. So, that was the only note we got. For example, they weren’t reading our scripts and giving us notes is what I’m saying. We never got that. In fact, while I was working on this show, we’ve never gotten notes. I think that only happened during Sci-Fi [Channel].

I actually liked those ._.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

zoux posted:

I actually liked those ._.

They were useful because I found it difficult to pause the Gizmoplex for any length of time so that was how I could get snacks or bathroom breaks.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Oh yeah, old guys becoming pandas, that's the future. :rolleyes:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Joel Hodgson posted:

Of course, having to shoot on green screen for the host segments, which we’ve never done, was really hard because we had to shoot both in L.A. and in Pennsylvania. It wasn’t practical to move the sets. The whole premise was 80% of the show’s already shot on greenscreen because of the silhouettes, but we had to do that last 20%, the host segments, on greenscreen too. So, that will not remain. People didn’t seem to like it. It was a necessity because of COVID. Next season we won’t be doing that. We’ll go back to in-camera sets for the host segments.

Oh thank god. Those virtual sets look terrible.

I know the original Satellite of Love set was a bunch of toys and kitchen utensils glued to a wall and spray-painted beige. But it seemed real and tangible in a way that the modern virtual sets never did, probably because of the bright, uniform greenscreen lighting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Come, as you are, to my mall, to my atrium, yeah yeah.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

WhiteHowler posted:

I know the original Satellite of Love set was a bunch of toys and kitchen utensils glued to a wall and spray-painted beige. But it seemed real and tangible in a way that the modern virtual sets never did, probably because of the bright, uniform greenscreen lighting.

I can't remember which episode it's from, but there's a host segment that has a wonderful little moment: one of the bots is talking about "all that hokey garbage the movie is trying to pass off as real space equipment", and Joel quickly glances around, looks back into the camera, then gives a little smile and shrug.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

I can't remember which episode it's from, but there's a host segment that has a wonderful little moment: one of the bots is talking about "all that hokey garbage the movie is trying to pass off as real space equipment", and Joel quickly glances around, looks back into the camera, then gives a little smile and shrug.

It's probably from that one Rocky Jones episode, where the actors had to pretend to turn the "wheel" on the "door" to the "airlock" on their "spaceship"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh thank god. Those virtual sets look terrible.

Yeah. I believe Joel that it was probably the only way to do it with COVID and the supply chain issues they were facing at the time, but I'm happy he sees the value in going back to a real, physical set.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Come, as you are, to my mall, to my atrium, yeah yeah.

… now get the hell out of my mezzanine

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Thank god they're swapping to a real set. Now I hope its better than the Netflix one, which just seemed kind of lifeless to me.

Maybe I'm just a crank and things aren't the way that they were when I was a kid.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just want Servo to have a clear head again.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

It's funny, I first saw Overdrawn at the Memory Bank unriffed, on SciFi about a year before they started carrying MST3K. Teen me seemed to think it was fine?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Freemason Rush Week posted:

It's funny, I first saw Overdrawn at the Memory Bank unriffed, on SciFi about a year before they started carrying MST3K. Teen me seemed to think it was fine?

:geno: "You were scrolling up unauthorized cinemas?"

:argh: "*sigh* Yeah, that's BEEN ESTABLISHED!!"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

He switched the tag from your body to another body! COUGH HUGH HACK COUGH URP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

New live event:

quote:

Greetings, backers!

I have an exciting announcement today – this Thursday, I invite you to join us for our first livestream event of this #MakeMoreMST3K campaign!

That's right! This THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 9, at 8pm EST / 5pm PST, Matt McGinnis will moderate as we gather a team of MST3K writers to watch the season 13 episode, The Million Eyes of Sumuru !

We’ll be streaming on the Gizmoplex , as well as on our YouTube and Twitch channels, this Thursday November 9 starting at 8pm ET/5pm PT. We hope to see you there!

Next: we’ve added a new reward – as a PRESENTING SPONSOR , your business or family name will be credited as sponsoring an episode AND short in the new season, plus a video call with Joel and an in-person set visit, and more! Check out all the details here.

Finally, as some of you are no doubt aware, the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strikes have posed a challenge for us in promoting this campaign for season 14. Striking members of SAG are prohibited from promoting struck work, which means our cast cannot post about the fundraiser. Unfortunately, this represents literally millions of views we can’t rely on to spread the word until the strike is over. Obviously this has been a big part of our efforts during the last two campaigns, and we can feel the effects.

This means we need YOUR help more than ever to let people know this campaign is happening! Please follow @mst3k on Instagram and X , and you can also find us on Facebook and TikTok , and share our posts as much as you can. If you’re looking for a suggestion for what you can post to your own page, we suggest:

JOIN US! Become an #MST3KShowmaker and help us #MakeMoreMST3K by pledging to support Season 14! https://showmaker.mst3k.com/

That’s all I’ve got for now. In the next update, we’ll be giving you a closer look at the artwork for the t-shirt reward, so keep your eyes peeled for that. Thanks for all your support, backers!