Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lordfrikk posted:

I'll have more (though not necessarily better) thoughts once I'm actually finished but I think Alan Wake might be the Aiden Pearce of Alan Wake 2, some might call him "iconic", but I think I'd go for "loving boring"!! :blastu: His sections are such a drag. Instead of Alan Wake 3 we should get Saga Anderson: The Game IMO

How can he be iconic without a cap though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

pixel bitches posted:

According to the article sales of actual games were up but weak yen and poor performing mobile games took profits down.

A convincing argument for Real Games? Maybe?

Nah they’ll keep playing the blame game

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We didn’t buy enough NFTs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat people will not get over that one time they blamed a bad Tomb Raider game for not selling enough instead of FF14 1.0 being a disaster

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Escobarbarian posted:

Conceptually sure, it’s just really poorly-written. Might as well have had Peter saying “boy I sure hope that guy won’t be dead when I get back!!!!”

FireWorksWell posted:

I rolled my eyes during the swinging-to-music part but it also got me upset so it worked lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Captain Hotbutt posted:

It's me, the one person who still liked Zero Punctuation. :shrug:

I won't be apologizing but maybe I should.

i still like yahtzee idgaf. turns out the entire staff is starting a new company outside of escapist.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
bioware did a blog post today, n7 day, about the next mass effect game and it was filled with 1s and 0s in the text and so people pieced it together in a binary code translator to find a link to a new video and the name of the next game and it turns out its called "ea/bioware laid off a bunch of people from unionised Dragon Age QA team and they are striking against it outside the edmonton bioware hq right today" this is the fifth title in the series.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

It's me, the one person who still liked Zero Punctuation. :shrug:

I won't be apologizing but maybe I should.

I still occasionally watched it out of a weird nostalgia but his style had literally not moved on since I was literally 14 and I've been in like four careers and transitioned since then, like, come on dude. BUT: I like him I guess and I hope whatever is next is good.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Vikar Jerome posted:

bioware did a blog post today, n7 day, about the next mass effect game and it was filled with 1s and 0s in the text and so people pieced it together in a binary code translator to find a link to a new video and the name of the next game and it turns out its called "ea/bioware laid off a bunch of people from unionised Dragon Age QA team and they are striking against it outside the edmonton bioware hq right today" this is the fifth title in the series.

lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

lines posted:

I still occasionally watched it out of a weird nostalgia but his style had literally not moved on since I was literally 14 and I've been in like four careers and transitioned since then, like, come on dude. BUT: I like him I guess and I hope whatever is next is good.

drat this reminds me of my mortality hardcore

i started watching zp when i still lived at home. ive since moved out, switched apartments like 8 times, then back home, then back out, then to a different state.

it's nice to know in all that time there's a constant in the world where british man talks fast and makes fun of new game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wouldn't call myself a huge fan, but if Zero Punctuation popped up in my Youtube recs I'd usually watch it. Wasn't subbed or religious about it or anything though. That whole immensely negative, Yahtzee/Sterling 2010s games talking head style is grating as gently caress, but at least Yahtzee is sort of funny at least.

I feel pretty neutral about it going away, but also he's just going to do the same thing with a different name I'm sure.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I never even heard of zero punctuation or this yahtzee guy or whatever until today

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

So what you're saying is that the Mass Effect QA team will be joining them next?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I started avoiding Zero Punctuation when one of the videos left me with the impression that Yahtzee was playing up his negative impressions of a game just so he could be caustic about it. I don't recall the game or any particulars because that was like, thirteen years ago? Christ :kstare:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
AW2 question: does the big Cauldron Lake battle require you kill a certain amount of enemies, or do you just need to survive until the song ends??

acksplode
May 17, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

AW2 question: does the big Cauldron Lake battle require you kill a certain amount of enemies, or do you just need to survive until the song ends??

Think it's the latter, at a certain point all the enemies went poof and died, and I didn't kill anyone right at that moment. Use a lot of flares, they're great for making space and buying time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I think that's accurate. At the end there will be a big pulse of energy from the stage that kills all remaining enemies, you just have to get to that point

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

acksplode posted:

I started avoiding Zero Punctuation when one of the videos left me with the impression that Yahtzee was playing up his negative impressions of a game just so he could be caustic about it. I don't recall the game or any particulars because that was like, thirteen years ago? Christ :kstare:

And he kept doing that for 13 years and you know, I guess got a living out of it, so are we not really the fools?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

acksplode posted:

Think it's the latter, at a certain point all the enemies went poof and died, and I didn't kill anyone right at that moment. Use a lot of flares, they're great for making space and buying time.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I think that's accurate. At the end there will be a big pulse of energy from the stage that kills all remaining enemies, you just have to get to that point

Nice, I’ll give it a go tomorrow. Thanks!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

acksplode posted:

He was funny when he first started, his reviews were fresh and unique at the time. But now you can find a hundred Youtube channels with the exact same style. I was also remembering that he is a goon.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
His first ZP videos were actually for SA weren't they? He did a couple and they were super popular, from what I remember both sides were transparent that SA couldn't hope to get close to the offer he got from the escapist and I will never knock someone for turning a quick gimmick into a serious source of income.

E: drat, what a time capsule. I guess his first few were just independent on YouTube, but well shared and liked on here.
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/google-yahtzee-whocares/2/

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 8, 2023

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I hadn't watched a Yahtzee video in years then somehow stumbled onto a review of a new game and was surprised he was still doing his old schtick. I guess I still have a soft spot for it from old times. And it did lead me to Cold Take videos, which I quite enjoyed.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I said come in! posted:

He was funny when he first started, his reviews were fresh and unique at the time. But now you can find a hundred Youtube channels with the exact same style. I was also remembering that he is a goon.

i call bullshit on this. for better or worse, i watch a fair amount of "lol new game sucks" youtube content and can't think of a single channel with a similar style let alone "exact same style" as yahtzee.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So I was feeling a little down on Spider-Man 2. It was fun, sure, but it's not doing a whole lot fundamentally different than the other games, and I find myself playing in sessions that last an hour or two because that's when the combat starts to feel a little samey. But man, I just got to the very final act, and holy poo poo that was worth the price of admission. One of the coolest bits I've played all year, in a very packed year full of great games.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

biceps crimes posted:

PS5 > hdmi 2.1 > TV > hdmi 2.1 eARC > receiver
was the only way I could get 4k at 120hz. I didn't want to spend $$$$ upgrading my receiver unnecessarily, as it can handle 4k but not 120hz. ARC/eARC audio delays would be such a PITA

I did this too because my receiver can't do 120hz, but I'm not sure why I did it (other than I googled it and people said this was the best way). The PS5 can't actually DO 120hz, can it? I thought all the games were topping out at 60hz even in Performance mode.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Phenotype posted:

I did this too because my receiver can't do 120hz, but I'm not sure why I did it (other than I googled it and people said this was the best way). The PS5 can't actually DO 120hz, can it? I thought all the games were topping out at 60hz even in Performance mode.
It absolutely can do 120hz, there’s like a hundred games that support it. Last two that I played in 120 fps were Doom Eternal and RE2 remake, they were nice and buttery

FWIW I have an older receiver that can’t do the fancy new HDMI 2.1 stuff and use eARC on my LG CX to get surround sound pass through, works nicely after some small adjustments

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn’t 120hz also how those 40fps quality modes work

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

Isn’t 120hz also how those 40fps quality modes work

Correct

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, you set the TV to 120hz mode and display each render 3 times

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1722086391431963100?t=V25KQ-emjcEGmpx5jsDJlQ&s=19

It would rock if Schreier was burning his record of legitimacy just to troll with this lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

edit: beaten

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

dunkey beat schreier to press by 3 full days

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

God I can’t wait for GTAVI. Rockstar trailers are one of my absolute favorite gaming traditions.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just a heads up if you were hoping to snag a physical copy of BG3 from Japan.

Not surprising given what I've seen other games have to do to get approved for console release in Japan.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The studio president has been asking about audience interest in physical copies recently, so it’s probably going to happen. Just a question of scale.

Though with how heavily the game is still getting patched and modified, it would probably be better if the physical release comes when things are more settled.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Gotta say I don't have much interest in a new GTA game these days. I've played all the mainline games but after red dead 2 the idea of playing anything remotely like GTAV seems like such a step back. Maybe I'll feel differently after the trailer.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

acksplode posted:

I fell off when, for reasons I'm not sure about, I had a harder and harder time understanding what he was saying. I don't mean the meaning, I mean l literally couldn't make out what loving words he was saying because he talks so goddamned fast. Might just be me getting old or something, I don't know.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

univbee posted:

Just a heads up if you were hoping to snag a physical copy of BG3 from Japan.

Not surprising given what I've seen other games have to do to get approved for console release in Japan.

Sucks, yeah hopefully they hurry up with the western physical release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pixel bitches posted:

According to the article sales of actual games were up but weak yen and poor performing mobile games took profits down.

A convincing argument for Real Games? Maybe?
Squeenix has mobile games that are performing well (the new FF7 one is doing decently) but they launched like 3 or 4 things that tanked.