Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Marketing arm is going apeshit over AI as what they want is a word-salad spinner. For non technical poo poo it's a godsend; marketers don't want to write copy for the 80th marketing push this month, so something that can scan a product page and spit out highlights for you saves so much time they're clamoring over each other to add it everywhere.

Unlike nfts, there are some uses, most of the hype seems to be around dumb tech poo poo it's bad at doing (but makes clickbaity headlines) or the legality of training data for image generating AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

Am I unfairly cynical about ~*AI*~? I was watching this and it just seems like a system to pad emails out by including things that the person you're messaging already knows, because they wrote the message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxR4JZ-2oiU

That email is just word salad, it doesn't add any value at all. Maybe the whole thing is aimed at CEOs who want to be able to say they led an AI strategy, and evaluating how useful it might be is to miss the point. The meeting example they're using is two minutes long and this time-saving AI thing is pulling out thirteen key words and four questions which seems like it would get overwhelming if you met for 30 minutes, and provides nothing over someone making notes as they go.

So you're saying after all our years of bitching and complaining, somebody took it upon themselves to finally solve the "this meeting could have been an email" problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There will still be meetings because people have to justify their roles, and filling days with meetings is all they can do

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Ideally LLM stuff will eventually end up as a useful tool for actual artists and writers to use to save some labor. First though corporations will try to use it to completely replace as many jobs as possible and we'll get a bunch of tragedies/comedies out of it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
There are a non-zero number of times I consult an LLM to write me a script and just copy that bitch over to fix up to my purposes a little.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Even the biggest proponents of AI writing frame it as a great tool to write things for other people to read. Nobody actually wants to read it themselves, and the moment anyone realizes they're reading AI drivel, they immediately stop.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I assume that plugins to detect if you're reading AI generated text will be really common and people will just skip past stuff generated in that way

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah I assume that plugins to detect if you're reading AI generated text will be really common and people will just skip past stuff generated in that way

At least currently none of the ones that purport to do that are actually any good, having both high false positive and false negative rates.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Search engines are already becoming increasingly useless as the majority of the results are AI generated keyword filled nonsense. We're going to see a return of webrings.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

ponzicar posted:

Search engines are already becoming increasingly useless as the majority of the results are AI generated keyword filled nonsense. We're going to see a return of webrings.

That would be good, because usually all I see posted is "no ring".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A single ring on the left hand

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

A single ring on the left hand

the token ring, if you will

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I used AI to write answers to the bullshit fluff questions on my annual self-eval last month. I highly suspect AI wrote those questions in the first place.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Drink and Fight posted:

I used AI to write answers to the bullshit fluff questions on my annual self-eval last month. I highly suspect AI wrote those questions in the first place.

And this is how the world ends, not with a bang but an ouroboros of AI generated poo poo.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

SyNack Sassimov posted:

And this is how the world ends, not with a bang but an ouroboros of AI generated poo poo.

It’s taking the human element out of a process that has already produced the equivalent of a poo poo-filled filing cabinet. Gonna change the world and let multiple levels of people pretend they’re doing something that produces 0 value. Might be the absolute best case scenario for AI - letting people realize wasting your life with nonsense is better left to a deranged Markov bot

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 3, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Drink and Fight posted:

Evals are poo poo, anyway. Self-evals doubly so.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sywert of Thieves posted:

LLMs were brought up in our company a few months ago, and one of my senior co-workers said he used it to explain a piece of code to him. This is such a bad idea that I had a million things to say about it uit, but I was unable to accurately convey my :stare: into words.
I don't understand your objection to it; can you explain your reason for being :stare:? If I'm looking at a very poorly written/poorly documented piece of code and need to understand it to troubleshoot it, throwing it in to ChatGPT and have it explain what its doing saves me a ton of time trying to manually figure it out.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It's a language model, not a code linter/analyzer. It knows nothing about writing computer code, it just heard people talk about it online and parrots the information. It's a language model.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I mean, yes, that's technically true, but it has helped me (and I assume your co-worker, too) actually solve real problems, so it must be able to recognize the patterns of code we're throwing at it to get useful solutions to them. It would one thing if it's responses were non-sensical and didn't actually help, but I can say with certainty that at least in my cases, it has been able to produce meaningful responses to my questions about what a function is doing, to the point that I've been able to then move on to my original task and succeed where I would have otherwise continued to bang my head against my desk.

If you don't want to use it for that purpose, that's your prerogative, but to think your senior co-worker is doing something actively wrong by finding a way to make use of a tool at his fingertips seems like reverse-boomer-level nonsense. :)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

i already skip past it because it has no meaning or value much like my posts

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

nexxai posted:

I mean, yes, that's technically true, but it has helped me (and I assume your co-worker, too) actually solve real problems, so it must be able to recognize the patterns of code we're throwing at it to get useful solutions to them. It would one thing if it's responses were non-sensical and didn't actually help, but I can say with certainty that at least in my cases, it has been able to produce meaningful responses to my questions about what a function is doing, to the point that I've been able to then move on to my original task and succeed where I would have otherwise continued to bang my head against my desk.

If you don't want to use it for that purpose, that's your prerogative, but to think your senior co-worker is doing something actively wrong by finding a way to make use of a tool at his fingertips seems like reverse-boomer-level nonsense. :)

I, too, trust black-box autocorrect to explain code to me.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I pasted the Fast inverse square root code (without the "//"), and it gave me a pretty good reply.

I would be scratching my head for quite a few minutes if I came across this in our codebase without a ton of comments.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
That's not really a representative test, as there are probably plenty of textual comments on that or similar code on the internet that it could have learned to replicate. The real question is how well it handles the spaghetti code from your intern 10 years ago that only exists in an internal codebase.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Entropist posted:

That's not really a representative test, as there are probably plenty of textual comments on that or similar code on the internet that it could have learned to replicate. The real question is how well it handles the spaghetti code from your intern 10 years ago that only exists in an internal codebase.
And then being ok that a database has your internal code for something that might matter. I think a lot of trust is being thrown at "yeah it's an anonymous collection of information!' for people who are throwing in questions with some level of hardcoded account information about your company.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yeah, it's not that difficult to get them to spit out some of their training data in certain cases, which would include all the prompts you feed it to explain your company's valuable code.

NiceAaron
Oct 19, 2003

Devote your hearts to the cause~

Turambar posted:

I pasted the Fast inverse square root code (without the "//"), and it gave me a pretty good reply.

I would be scratching my head for quite a few minutes if I came across this in our codebase without a ton of comments.

Now try it with a piece of code that's equally complicated, but hasn't been plastered all over the internet with tons of explanations including a whole-rear end wikipedia article.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I couldn’t get Google’s version of the AI chat bot to stop outputting snippets of PowerShell that at first glance looked correct but were using variables that just didn’t exist in the cmdlets, and never had done.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

WEBPAGES LOADING SLOWLY

problem is actually ads are failing to load

install adblocker, problem solved

It blows my mind every time i run across someone who doesn't have something blocking ads already

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Shugojin posted:

WEBPAGES LOADING SLOWLY

problem is actually ads are failing to load

install adblocker, problem solved

It blows my mind every time i run across someone who doesn't have something blocking ads already

The school can't install an ad blocker on the provided chromebooks because there's something in the district policy that prevents it. I don't know what idiocy that may be, but it's annoying AF and really makes them less useful.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Shugojin posted:

I had to turn mine off to make youtube work, and oh my god the internet is a hellish nightmare of blinking bullshit and autoplaying nonsense without one.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

AlexDeGruven posted:

The school can't install an ad blocker on the provided chromebooks because there's something in the district policy that prevents it. I don't know what idiocy that may be, but it's annoying AF and really makes them less useful.

It is probably a group policy that disables all installation of extensions.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I had to turn mine off to make youtube work, and oh my god the internet is a hellish nightmare of blinking bullshit and autoplaying nonsense without one.

Try logging out and/or switching to Firefox (which interestingly enough also allowed Twitter to load again, though whether that's a good thing or not is arguable). And yes, I have ublock origin and ghostery installed in Firefox, as well as running through VPN.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think I might be going mad, but is Outlook randomly setting text alignment to justified for anybody else? Messages look fine and left-aligned when I compose them (I think) and then when I hit send they end up justified somehow.

Edit: The problem seems to be Outlook on desktop (Windows, not the poo poo new app) displaying all emails justified, if I look in OWA they are formatted as they were sent.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks Ants posted:

I think I might be going mad, but is Outlook randomly setting text alignment to justified for anybody else? Messages look fine and left-aligned when I compose them (I think) and then when I hit send they end up justified somehow.

Edit: The problem seems to be Outlook on desktop (Windows, not the poo poo new app) displaying all emails justified, if I look in OWA they are formatted as they were sent.

Did Immersive Reader inadvertently get enabled? It's in the ribbon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

God loving dammit it's Microsoft trying out some things to be helpful

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/how-to-stop-outlook-from-changing-the/c20a041a-bde4-49af-bc38-25ccafd840e3?page=5

quote:

Sorry for the delay getting back. I followed up with the Outlook and Word Teams about the email justification changing. It turns out the changes we are seeing are mostly expected and not bugs. The teams are implementing a feature called Automated Typography. This feature applies read only changes to emails in the Outlook Reading Pane and Word’s Read Mode to make the content more impactful and easier to read. Please keep an open mind about the feature and give it a chance. The product team has gotten some good examples from customers where the end result of their emails looked good, more professional, and were easier to read. I will ask if I can show some of those or if they can be added in a blog article. Thank you all for the feedback.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you must, just make an exception for YouTube, don't turn it off globally.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

gently caress outlook rendering. The loving thing wants to render emails like a loving word document because that's the only html parser they have apparently. Every other web inbox renders poo poo sanely, why can't you, outlook, you gently caress?! Now they're just straight up changing the message rendering on a whim because it looks nicer? loving hell.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

guppy posted:

If you must, just make an exception for YouTube, don't turn it off globally.

Oh I know, but for one glorious half hour while I was fighting with poo poo, it was off completely. And ho-lee-gently caress, I am never doing that again. Website breaks when adblocker is enabled? Better find a different website, apparently.

I do like how the ad blocker arms race now includes 'please disable your ad blocker' popup blockers, and blockers for the blockers. It's a nightmare of javascript all the way down.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

It is probably a group policy that disables all installation of extensions.

We asked, because one of the sites they had to use during the pandemic shutdown was loving awful. It's a school district policy that even they can't install a blocker. We already can't install extensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Ticket for "Computer keeps making a chime noise".

Tried to replicate the problem, none of the tones I produced in Windows matched reports. I think its new users getting a swarm of "new printer found" messages. I just muted the computers in question and closed the ticket lol