Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
As tradition dictates, every two years I get the itch to dive back into UnReal World. I believe my Njerpez-hunting son (who's wielding his dead father's fine broadsword - such a good, good starting random weapon!) is still alive in his kota somewhere, so assuming the save is still compatible I think I'll have to pick up where I left off.

Anyway, in anticipation of this, I checked URW's news in case there's been an update in the past year or so (I was doubtful though, as last I heard Sami was taking some time off) and to my immense surprise, there has been an update - mere days ago, in fact! On the topic, check out this patchnote:

quote:

- fixed: NPC archers could use and shoot back the arrows that had originally hit them

[link to full changelog]

drat, here I was thinking those archers were just :black101:! I have a feeling the player could also potentially do this too, perhaps? Maybe only if the arrow doesn't penetrate/stick in you, though. I only remember noticing it briefly in a fight - I never had the balls (unlike these NPCs! Whroah!) to actually try it, in a fight! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
VEIN has a dozen red flags as an open world survival zombie game, not least of which being that the team had also been involved with Dead Matter, but I still see Youtubers fawning over "what it could be" and "what it wants to be". Like, how have we not learned our lesson here yet?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TeaJay posted:

Welcome to Vintage Story.

Early game if you see wolves and/or bears, run!

Here's a thread for VS:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012729

Also Hyenas. Hyenas are real dicks.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So I ain't know the right thread to post this in since I basically live in my bookmarks, but it's got -enough- survival elements (Need to eat, cooking, open-worldish exploration, sleeping) that Imma shove it here even though it very much is not a survival game because gently caress it.

Recently tried playing Grimrock II again and found the basegame meh again, but one of the workshop mods I tried is legit amazing, better than the basegame by a significant degree:

Final Adventure.

Extremely detailed, well designed and layered maps, rebalanced classes/races/skills, metriodvania elements, firearms are actually good now, magic system has been reworked and you actually need to find the scrolls now, as well as there being types of magic (Divine, Nature, Arcane) and a shitton of new spells. NPC's, shops, sidequests, cooking, an upgradable basecamp...

I've been having a blast with it, scrounging through every nook and cranny and bush for ingredients for cooking, and there usually is hidden poo poo everywhere so it feels really rewarding (hunger is a real problem, especially with allot of the environment altering skills, mining rappelling and digging, draining hunger to use.) And all the free-full-heal-and-revive save crystals are behind toll gates so getting that full heal and revive is an actual decision, and means that each death costs you, since you either need to use rare reviving items or pay for a single crystal use. Thus you need to rest allot now (and are punished for not resting enough with a tired debuff), since popping a schooch for a few hours is now your main renewable healing method, which ties into the hunger drain pushing you forward.

The dopamine of finding secrets is so good, since there's secrets everywhere, like at least a good dozen per map, usually more. Some are the usual spot the odd brick/weird area and comb around, others are read notes/speak to corpses and solve puzzles, a good mix. Also enjoy the system of interchangeable keys (you can use a key you find in one dungeon in another) and being able to bypass keys entirely with the right skills/equipment/traits, depending on the difficulty of the lock.

It's legit it's own dang game, amazing quality, and I've still barely scratched the surface on it despite ~30 hours into it (I've restarted a few times, restartitis is a real disease) and I just needed to shout -somewhere- about how rad it is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jawnycat posted:

So I ain't know the right thread to post this in since I basically live in my bookmarks, but it's got -enough- survival elements (Need to eat, cooking, open-worldish exploration, sleeping) that Imma shove it here even though it very much is not a survival game because gently caress it.

Recently tried playing Grimrock II again and found the basegame meh again, but one of the workshop mods I tried is legit amazing, better than the basegame by a significant degree:

Final Adventure.

Extremely detailed, well designed and layered maps, rebalanced classes/races/skills, metriodvania elements, firearms are actually good now, magic system has been reworked and you actually need to find the scrolls now, as well as there being types of magic (Divine, Nature, Arcane) and a shitton of new spells. NPC's, shops, sidequests, cooking, an upgradable basecamp...

I've been having a blast with it, scrounging through every nook and cranny and bush for ingredients for cooking, and there usually is hidden poo poo everywhere so it feels really rewarding (hunger is a real problem, especially with allot of the environment altering skills, mining rappelling and digging, draining hunger to use.) And all the free-full-heal-and-revive save crystals are behind toll gates so getting that full heal and revive is an actual decision, and means that each death costs you, since you either need to use rare reviving items or pay for a single crystal use. Thus you need to rest allot now (and are punished for not resting enough with a tired debuff), since popping a schooch for a few hours is now your main renewable healing method, which ties into the hunger drain pushing you forward.

The dopamine of finding secrets is so good, since there's secrets everywhere, like at least a good dozen per map, usually more. Some are the usual spot the odd brick/weird area and comb around, others are read notes/speak to corpses and solve puzzles, a good mix. Also enjoy the system of interchangeable keys (you can use a key you find in one dungeon in another) and being able to bypass keys entirely with the right skills/equipment/traits, depending on the difficulty of the lock.

It's legit it's own dang game, amazing quality, and I've still barely scratched the surface on it despite ~30 hours into it (I've restarted a few times, restartitis is a real disease) and I just needed to shout -somewhere- about how rad it is.

The RPG thread would probably enjoy this post too!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Vib Rib posted:

Like, how have we not learned our lesson here yet?

They're making new people all the time.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Apologizing for the formatting because I'm reposting from our group discord but I had this exciting adventure in nuARK the other day.

started with a bear cub being born and growing up while I was away on a journey leading to mother and child being clipped together
I put the saddle on the child and mount trying to get it to move
it's still stuck, I try to jump up and suddenly the bear starts basically jumping up
like the collision code is trying to unclip it upwards once every physics frame
or whatever
pushing me up along with it
ascending rapidly I don't really dare to move because if I fall and gain horizontal momentum who the fucks knows where I might end up
at 15km up there's no sign of it stopping so I say gently caress it and push forward
suddenly I'm back on my roof
the bear is nowhere to be seen but tracking indicates it's still there and there appears to be some invisible collision near me
I pull up a ceiling plate and the bear pops into existance in the plate

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That's ARK for you, game which manages to be just shy of half a terabyte with all the expansions because the assets get compressed on load (I know it's fixed in the new one, still).

I've actually recently gone back to playing ASE with Ark Omega - of all the PVE overhauls I like it the most, even if it's not completely finished. It manages to retain the feel of the original game with increased singleplayer rates, while still keeping it somewhat of a challenge and giving purpose to killing wild dinos because of the essence/soul/drop/no-tame systems.

Primal fear and such mostly just break the scaling but don't make it anymore meaningful IME.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Private Speech posted:

That's ARK for you, game which manages to be just shy of half a terabyte with all the expansions because the assets get compressed on load (I know it's fixed in the new one, still).

What in the gently caress.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some of my friends turned me on to Return to Moria and after a couple hours solo, this game is weird. The level design feels really restrictive for a Valheim-like, and there's a weird jank to all your actions, especially in combat. But the theme, atmosphere, and lore are all on point, and I'm a sucker for LotR media. I heard solo gets untenable later on but it's ok so far. I've got some MP action coming up too as well.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Some of my friends turned me on to Return to Moria and after a couple hours solo, this game is weird. The level design feels really restrictive for a Valheim-like, and there's a weird jank to all your actions, especially in combat. But the theme, atmosphere, and lore are all on point, and I'm a sucker for LotR media. I heard solo gets untenable later on but it's ok so far. I've got some MP action coming up too as well.

I'm also intrigued but at this point I'm holding out for a Steam release (suppose it'll come eventually) and give them time to fix stuff.

Plus my MP group is mostly waiting, so it'll be better if we're all in it together

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I played for about an hour before I shelved it for the reasons you stated.

I’m a big LotR fan and I’m hoping the game gets improved so I can dive back into it later on.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

BrianRx posted:

What in the gently caress.

It's reduced by 80% or something like that in the unreal engine upgrade they are selling as a separate game for full price (okay they sizzled up the UI a bit too, but the content is identical, except it does not have any expansions because lol, lmao, ARK).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Unreal? Wasn't it cryengine originally or am I high?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Arrath posted:

Unreal? Wasn't it cryengine originally or am I high?

Nope, I mean - I don't know if you're high or not but it was UE4.

Google summary posted:

Game Engine: Unreal Engine 4

Some gamer news page posted:

ARK: Survival Evolved Upgrade in Unreal Engine 5 Will Now Be Sold as a Standalone Game for $59.99

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Nope, I mean - I don't know if you're high or not but it was UE4.

Huh, wonder where I'd picked that up from.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Return to Moria got interesting. I spent a long time trying to figure out how to get a heavy item onto somewhere I couldn't walk (because you can't jump while holding it). I had to look up the fact you can throw stuff with a key not indicated on the ui. Fine, I would have figured that out if I looked in the keybinds. But then I turned on a big forge which summoned a horde of like 50 goblins/orcs. I'm one guy. I literally could not kill them fast enough.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

SettingSun posted:

But then I turned on a big forge which summoned a horde of like 50 goblins/orcs. I'm one guy. I literally could not kill them fast enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPLq-5e6ulE

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been playing a fair bit of Card Survival lately.

I'm irrationally frustrated by crop plots only being single use. It makes sense to me that it requires some effort to clear the soil to start with. I've cleared ground to plant before and it is work. But after that the soil should stay cleared. The game already has a fertilizer mechanic to track soil health (and it starts at 0 despite it require compost elements to build the crop plot to start with). The fertilizer mechanic properly represents soil health and nutrients, so the crop plot disappearing isn't needed to represent the soil being depleted of nutrients (if that was even a realistic concern in the middle of a jungle). The game is difficult in a lot of ways that make it more fun and engaging, but this specific mechanic feels like a fun tax.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Well, you also don't spend any time weeding the garden or in any other way tending to the growing plants, other than watering. Seems a fair trade off all things considered.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

What are my options that are basically stardew but you’re on the frontier or home stead and gotta eat and survive so it’s kinda sweaty but chill

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
knowing barely anything about stardew, probably vintage story?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, was gonna say if you want farm & chill but with the ability to gently caress up and die, Vintage Story (with surface drifters turned off) hits that pretty good. Can't really think of anything more closely related to the stardew gameplay loop with actual survival elements tho.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah vintage story is actually really good on the homesteading angle in terms of being crunchy enough to make accomplishing things fun but it's also not painful to actually exist. you can disable a lot of the stuff related to the enemies and just mostly hang out.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Krataar posted:

What are my options that are basically stardew but you’re on the frontier or home stead and gotta eat and survive so it’s kinda sweaty but chill

Oregon Trail

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Disclaimer: I know nothing about that other game other than I have read its name on these forums before.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Twenty Four posted:

Disclaimer: I know nothing about that other game other than I have read its name on these forums before.

There is no farming and no chill. You are managing a wagon rolling west on the Oregon trail. You will die of dysentery and lose your cargo of grandfather clocks trying to ford a river. But you can name your family members 'pee pee' so who is to say what's good?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oregon Trail is a good and educational game. I would buy six thousand bullets and shoot every animal I saw, resulting in a small mountain of meat that would rot within a day. After learning that lesson I simply bought more salt.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Did making your profession doctor in Oregon Trail help treat disease or was that school computer room rumor

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
There is no game more mystical and mysterious than Oregon Trail.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Did making your profession doctor in Oregon Trail help treat disease or was that school computer room rumor

It's unknowable

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

There is no game more mystical and mysterious than Oregon Trail.

All you can do is invoke the proper rituals and incantations and hope the stars are right.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Krataar posted:

Vintage Story is the closest you're going to get probably.

It has farming.
It has tool tiers.
It has mining.
It has limited combat.
It has animal raising (extremely difficult to setup).
It allows you to build elaborate homes and barns.

Vintage story does not have:
NPCs (beyond traders who just buy and sell)
Marriage candidates
Social elements
Magic (can be added with mods probably)

You will definitely die a few times before getting a stable setup.

Raft kinda scratched the same itch for us. Valheim is also an option for a much harder combat experience, but the farming in Valheim is impressively unfun to do at any sort of scale.

I've been thinking about trying to convince my partner to start another VS run for awhile. It's good fun.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

Oregon Trail

Speaking of which, how's the new Oregon Trail on Steam? (Well, from 2022 - so pretty new, for Oregon Trail!) I've wondered a few times about trying it, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention it on here, so I'm not sure if it's actually a good new version, or if it's just an attempt to cash-in on the franchise name

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiQPk9hxdE

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Anyone give Enshrouded a try? I watched Neebs crew play the demo and it looked really neat. A bit like V Rising where you have to put down a center for your base to keep this mist away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lohXj5tvsLo

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Man I looked up the Ark re-release and I kind of want to get it. It's crazy that they're charging that much for QOL improvements, but the QOL improvements do seem neat. Wild baby dinosaurs and all that.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I mean, if it can run without crashing for more than 5 minutes it’s probably very nice.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
According to many reviews, it often can't run at all. Performance is abysmal, it's still buggy, and they didn't really improve any of the major game elements that they probably should've if they're going to charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Spanish Matlock posted:

Man I looked up the Ark re-release and I kind of want to get it. It's crazy that they're charging that much for QOL improvements, but the QOL improvements do seem neat. Wild baby dinosaurs and all that.

The environments are very pretty now (you do need quite a beefy machine to run it at any sort of acceptable framerate). It is, however, extremely crashy.