Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

First double post in possibly ever...

I checked, you have three double posts and two shameful doubleposts (by your own classification) :engleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ruflux posted:

They got rid of the wiper stalk to make way for the gear selector and combined the wiper controls with the turn signal stalk so there was no room left. You might be wondering, well, why don’t they just go back to having the controls on the lefthand side of the dash like older Volvos and the answer is that costs multiple cents more than copying Tesla and putting everything in the stupid loving tablet

The combi-stalk also is missing a single wipe functionality so if you need to quickly clear your windshield you need to turn the wipers on and off. I suppose if the rain sensing works right it should mostly be an edge case annoyance but still, you’re really telling me Volvo can’t design a combination stalk that does that?

The S60 also has a wiper stalk and a touchscreen, with the environmental controls staying fixed to the bottom edge, so they are always available. Honestly, it is the least annoying touchscreen I've ever used.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Car controls and interfaces were perfected with the Subaru XT, I don't know why everyone doesn't just copy that.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Number_6 posted:

Car controls and interfaces were perfected with the Subaru XT, I don't know why everyone doesn't just copy that.

I like Toyota's 2nd gen Tundra solution: just add more stalks. Depending on configuration, you could have up to four: shifter, lights, wipers, and cruise control.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Number_6 posted:

That steering wheel is giving off intense 80s vibes and i love it but you are wrong - it doesn't have the One True AC control scheme :colbert:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Number_6 posted:

yes please

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Can we stop pretending autonomous vehicles are going to be a thing now? And can we stop pretending anyone with a product to sell isn't lying through their teeth?

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1721673596807073978?t=HNBP5jQ7Mde-egwdItWaZw&s=19

Lmao that so many big important tech things turn out to just be mechanical turks all the way down.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lmao that so many big important tech things turn out to just be mechanical turks all the way down.

I thought mechanical turk was a reference to a time traveling book I liked but no, a wiki dive came up with something that was actually much cooler. Unlike Cruize

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The only thing stupider than believing in self driving cars is believing your tesla is going to selfdrive uber over night while you sleep and make you rich.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

The only thing stupider than believing in self driving cars is believing your tesla is going to selfdrive uber over night while you sleep and make you rich.

There is a healthy overlap between people who believe that and people buying into speculative schemes like nfts and crypto. In my experience at least.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Number_6 posted:

Maybe not the XT, but my mom's old GL10 sedan was next to perfect.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Nitrox posted:

There is a healthy overlap between people who believe that and people buying into speculative schemes like nfts and crypto. In my experience at least.

You only say that because Elon Musk could control the price of crypto with his tweets for a while

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuFelNI2c08

quote:

The fire was allowed to burn underwater until it extinguished itself. And even then, it had to be loaded carefully onto a special carrier, and followed by the Fire Engine to the impound lot, where they’ll keep the vehicle isolated for a few days in the very real possibility of re-ignition. EVs have been known to reignite even after the initial fire has been extinguished.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Elon said it could work like a boat

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

There's a disturbing number of people who claim to be trapped inside of their Teslas when the fire starts, even if there's no crash or anything to block the doors

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

There's a disturbing number of people who claim to be trapped inside of their Teslas when the fire starts, even if there's no crash or anything to block the doors

That's because getting out of a Tesla without power ranges from difficult to impossible depending on which vehicle and where you're sitting.

coupedeville posted:

That steering wheel is giving off intense 80s vibes and i love it but you are wrong - it doesn't have the One True AC control scheme :colbert:

I assume by One True AC control scheme you mean having separate buttons for windshield, face, and feet vents which can be toggled in any desired combination like the Volvo S60R?

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 8, 2023

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

How the hell is "YOU CAN'T" an acceptable answer for the regulatory bodies? You need a manual release in the trunk in case someone gets stuck in there, I just can't believe this is actually acceptable.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Jesus loving christ.

How is this street legal? I know, I know, our government is thoroughly bought and paid for

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's because getting out of a Tesla without power ranges from difficult to impossible depending on which vehicle and where you're sitting.

I assume by One True AC control scheme you mean having separate buttons for windshield, face, and feet vents which can be toggled in any desired combination like the Volvo S60R?

That's why you put your baby seat in the front passenger side, in case you get into an accident and need to make sure your child is safe

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Door Frame posted:

That's why you put your baby seat in the front passenger side, in case you get into an accident and need to make sure your child is safe

And put the slightly older kids in the back!

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

leave it to the swedes to not know how the three seashells work :allears:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Number_6 posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I think about this graphic every time i walk past a 3 with a child seat in back.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
With small children you'd usually have the back doors locked anyway

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thankfully you'll never need to get out of the car quickly in an emergency
https://i.imgur.com/wFeli1f.mp4

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://jalopnik.com/dealer-wants-253-190-over-sticker-for-a-dodge-challeng-1851003766?utm_source=YPL

I hope this dealership goes out of business

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bajaha posted:

How the hell is "YOU CAN'T" an acceptable answer for the regulatory bodies? You need a manual release in the trunk in case someone gets stuck in there, I just can't believe this is actually acceptable.

Hell yeah captured regulations own

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao i'm going to silver spring this evening, i can throw a rock through their window on the way home.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Looks just as flammable as any other turd dodge, but I bet the dealer only has it insured for msrp

Anyway be the change you want to see in the world

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Bajaha posted:

It may be simply that in the past there has been cases that have shown the need for the trunk release and there hasn't been one for rear doors. The regulators probably didn't even imagine some one would build a car that doesn't have simple lever at the rear doors.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bajaha posted:

That's not how regulation works. The NHTSA doesn't have a list of specific design points, just guidelines for how safe cars need to be. It's up to the manufacturers to meet them in whatever way they want.

The NHTSA gets involved only when the manufacturer's solution is shown not to be adequate or acceptable. Thus far, there has not been evidence presented that exiting a Tesla's rear seat is a problem. Thus, no regulatory involvement.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Love to live in a nation state which requires human sacrifice as a pretext to intervene in business affairs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have to open the door so my mother in law can exit my German car because we have child door locks enabled and always leave them on because toddler. Apparently we've decided rear passenger doors not opening is acceptable

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

I have to open the door so my mother in law can exit my German car because we have child door locks enabled and always leave them on because toddler. Apparently we've decided rear passenger doors not opening is acceptable

Yeah you're apparently OK with leaving your mother in law locked in a burning car.

Deteriorata posted:

That's not how regulation works. The NHTSA doesn't have a list of specific design points, just guidelines for how safe cars need to be. It's up to the manufacturers to meet them in whatever way they want.

The NHTSA gets involved only when the manufacturer's solution is shown not to be adequate or acceptable. Thus far, there has not been evidence presented that exiting a Tesla's rear seat is a problem. Thus, no regulatory involvement.
Who makes requirements like mandatory reverse cameras? I know in the EU at least they absolutely can require specific safety features. Now apparently it's a speed limit warning that will beep at you whenever you go over the limit even by a tiny bit.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

That's... actually a fair point.

What we did was leave the child door locks on and the power windows unlocked. At the touch of a button, you can lock the windows to prevent fuckery, but disengaging the child locks requires opening the door. Any adult (or person not in a child seat or booster) can reach around as long as the windows work.

Then again, I don't get in a car without a way to bust a window out.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The difference is that with the Tesla since the door handles are retracted electrically you cannot open it from the outside at all if there is no 12v power.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Isn't the problem that the Tesla handles are electronic, not mechanical, and they hide away when "not in use"? So even if someone wants to let you out, you're out of luck if the electrical system is down?

Edit: ^^^see!^^^

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I dunno about the model S but on my BILs model Y you just push in on the external door handle on one side, and the other pops out and you pull on it like you'd expect to

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The 3 and Y don't have electrically presenting door handles, but they have electrical door latches, so same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Thus far, there has not been evidence presented that exiting a Tesla's rear seat is a problem. Thus, no regulatory involvement.

The evidence in question being corpses.