Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It took me a while but I finally warmed up to The Bear, I think it's brilliant even if the kitchen tropes are laid on a bit too thick at times. The penultimate episode of the first season where they forget to stop the online orders or something and end up with the chit printer just relentlessly running and Carmy is like "FIRE EVERYTHING" before having a meltdown (which I think was also one continuous take? IDK I was high) was just great and the finale right after that was downright heartwarming. It's wholesome, it's dark, it's borderline-cheeseball sentimental in how relatable some of the struggles are, it's absolutely hilarious, definitely a labour of love to the service industry and it makes me want sandwiches.

Also it spawned this parody which is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Anybody recommend some good sole inserts for us flat-footed mutants? I feel like the quality of Dr. Scholl's has gone down a bit. I'm destroying these things.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FHGYXP8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used these for a couple months before breaking my femur and no longer needing them lol. So I can't speak to their longevity, but they seem pretty sturdy.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
That bump in the middle actually fucks me up. Once upon a time I had a delivery job and I thought getting the "athletic" sole inserts with the arch support would be a good idea. I literally could not walk at the end of the day. Went to a clinic and the doc just said "Yeah, you have flat feet, man."

How did you break your femur? That's... a pretty big bone.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
waited almost a year for a measly fifty cent raise. apparently it's time to act my wage or go to school, this shits a fuckin joke.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Animal-Mother posted:

Anybody recommend some good sole inserts for us flat-footed mutants? I feel like the quality of Dr. Scholl's has gone down a bit. I'm destroying these things.

Yeah, the last pair of Dr. Scholl's Professionals I got came looking like something had chewed the hell out of the built-in inserts. The only reason I didn't return them as soon as I saw that was because even hosed up soles were better than the busted shoes I was replacing, and I didn't have any work-appropriate shoes to use in the meantime. (Also, no energy.)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

nudejedi posted:

waited almost a year for a measly fifty cent raise. apparently it's time to act my wage or go to school, this shits a fuckin joke.

50 cents is good, before we got the minimum wage increase (which replaced raises) I was lucky to get a 25 cent one!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

nudejedi posted:

Quit and go work for your local municipality. Switched from working NYC restaurants to NYC Parks, and within 6months I have been promoted 3 times with better pay, benefits and I can sleep well. Lots of old heads are leaving and most people with degrees and education sneer at working public sector. The amount of discipline and work you do in the kitchen really shows itself .

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ughhhh posted:

most people with degrees and education sneer at working public sector.

Never understood this. A job is a job. And working for the government you can potentially join a cool union like motherfuckin' AFSCME:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3mw49mk_x0

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Working in a union rules. It could be better, but goddamn I get OT without having to go through payroll, paid time off/sick leave as long as I have enough on my time off balance without arguing with a manager, If show documentation on OSHA/ANSI standards I get that equipment or work procedures changed practically overnight, nobody can call me after hours unless it's an emergency and I don't have to show up for OT unless I'm warned 12hours in advance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ughhhh posted:

Quit and go work for your local municipality. Switched from working NYC restaurants to NYC Parks, and within 6months I have been promoted 3 times with better pay, benefits and I can sleep well. Lots of old heads are leaving and most people with degrees and education sneer at working public sector. The amount of discipline and work you do in the kitchen really shows itself .

Yeah, switching to USPS from waiting tables did wonders for my pay check and my mental health.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Animal-Mother posted:

Never understood this. A job is a job. And working for the government you can potentially join a cool union like motherfuckin' AFSCME:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3mw49mk_x0

*cries in Wisconsin*

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ughhhh posted:

Working in a union rules. It could be better,

Tbh, this is the entire vibe right now. But all things considered, we do have the power to make it better.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, switching to USPS from waiting tables did wonders for my pay check and my mental health.

I've been thinking about exactly this switch. Do you have any suggestions to get in? Are you a carrier or work in a sorting facility?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd also recommend looking into 'porter' jobs in hospitals. It's quite good pay for no training and you'd get all the benefits etc. I'm in Canada so I'm sure it's a lot worse in the states but so is everything else so I think it's a worthwhile option.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kro-Bar posted:

I've been thinking about exactly this switch. Do you have any suggestions to get in? Are you a carrier or work in a sorting facility?

I'm a clerk, which is a description for a huge range of positions, it can be the people at the window at your local post office, it can be people who sort mail at various facilities, etc. My first role was working at a carrier annex (where your local mailman/mailwoman picks up your mail before they bring it to you) sorting packages from midnight to 8 am into the individual routes that the carriers would take, my current job is working on the dock of the main distribution center in my area keeping track of the trucks that bring the mail to the distribution center or take mail that goes to whatever your local carrier annex would be. There's a huge variety of jobs and if you end up in one you don't like there's usually opportunities to move into something else. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions. Start here, https://about.usps.com/careers/ Beyond the driving large trucks jobs that need a CDL and a couple years experience I don't think there's any requirements for most roles (oh the carrier jobs require a drivers license too, but I don't think require a CDL).

Also, because this is the restaurant industry thread, I assume this isn't true about driving jobs, but if your position is one where you aren't driving company equipment on public roads, they don't drug test.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Line cook here at a zoo restaurant that just slowed down. I've been binging the thread to absorb some of the food service culture. (My conclusion so far is that I need a new job in another field, fast.) Just hit March 2020!

Escape From Noise posted:

Things seem to be pretty much back to normal, if a bit slower. Back to getting slammed on weekends

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yep, Coronavirus has passed us. Time to restart the party.
Thread's about to get real dark, huh?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oooooooohhhhhh buddy

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

My experience working as a tireless dishwasher translated so well to manufacturing. I do wire harnesses for a company that does profit sharing based on efficiency, and I'm very well rewarded for it. American manufacturing has some great paying jobs right now.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

I just got a weird counter offer when seeking a raise. I work operations in a restaurant group. Opened several projects for this company, and they don't want to lose me. We have a property that we just put to sleep for the slow season as we will be doing some extensive remodels around April. My boss offered me a free run of the place so long as he doesn't have to invest anything more than the holding costs. He is offering all the profit from that operation so long as it is self-sufficient. The place is located a block from our downtown in a medium-sized city. It would need to do about $500/night for it to cover overhead and operating costs (we have ridiculously low fixed costs on the space for the next 4 months).

My thought is to run it 6p-2a F-Sa. Sexy/nasty/kinky vibes. Early service would be for the usual weekend crowd. Really shoot for the industry crowd for the late night. Run 1 bartender and 1 barback.

What events, promos, and gimmicks would you pull out to get this joint packed out Dec-Mar?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Justa Dandelion posted:

I just got a weird counter offer when seeking a raise. I work operations in a restaurant group. Opened several projects for this company, and they don't want to lose me. We have a property that we just put to sleep for the slow season as we will be doing some extensive remodels around April. My boss offered me a free run of the place so long as he doesn't have to invest anything more than the holding costs. He is offering all the profit from that operation so long as it is self-sufficient. The place is located a block from our downtown in a medium-sized city. It would need to do about $500/night for it to cover overhead and operating costs (we have ridiculously low fixed costs on the space for the next 4 months).

My thought is to run it 6p-2a F-Sa. Sexy/nasty/kinky vibes. Early service would be for the usual weekend crowd. Really shoot for the industry crowd for the late night. Run 1 bartender and 1 barback.

What events, promos, and gimmicks would you pull out to get this joint packed out Dec-Mar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I recently saw this Overcooked 2 team speedrun and thought of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5wo63JCUTU

Well, and then I caught back up on the last ten pages or so and remembered that most of working in a restaurant seems to be even worse than facing hordes of undead produce, but hey.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Justa Dandelion posted:

How, exactly, are you expecting to get an industry crowd on Friday and Saturday nights?

There's a very good reason that "industry night" happens somewhere in a Sunday to Tuesday range.

Let me be clear, I have direct experience, here. A couple of regulars when I was working a downtown bar decided to take over a nearby turn-key bar and restaurant, and they saw Friday night as free real estate for an industry night because no one else was doing it. I told them how idiotic it would be to do that and why despite seeming like a brilliant idea it was dumb as hell and why it seemed like free real estate, they didn't have the experience to understand, and the business closed three or four months after they opened it.

/e: Oh right, the reason. People in the restaurant industry are working on Friday and Saturday nights, that's why no one runs an industry night on Fridays and Saturdays!!!!!!!!! Or certainly not for very long!

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 6, 2023

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
or they're like me, clocking in at 7am sat/sun so a fri/sat service industry night would also be not very applicable if I wanna be in any shape to work in the morning :toot:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Justa Dandelion posted:

counter offer when seeking a raise....We have a property that we just put to sleep for the slow season ... $500/night ... run it 6p-2a F-Sa. Sexy/nasty/kinky vibes.... packed out Dec-Mar?

lmao I'm so glad I got out of this chickenshit industry.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

lmao I'm so glad I got out of this chickenshit industry.

Yeah, "How do I late-nite drug den" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of homie's business savvy, to say nothing of "if it becomes profitable you see no equity, dipshit"

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

On the other hand I wouldn't mind a report back on the sleepless nights filled with terror sweats and anxiety attacks as the bills starts piling up and friendships get destroyed.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Fully understand the hate and will bow out here, but to clarify some of those points. The cocktail bars in our area of downtown all close around 11a-12a and we had already gotten a good amount of business from the industry crowd when we opened this the first time around. Also I recognize this isn't a get rich quick scheme, I've opened pop up bars in this space twice already and not seen a profit share. I'm taking no financial risk here, the group already has to pay the overhead and if I can offset that they are willing to part with the profit. The intention is to stack up a few thousand extra in the next couple months and have fun doing a really skinny bootstrap operation rather than the more serious and high budget projects I have been working on. Was looking for some goofy ideas for dumb poo poo to throw at the wall.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

Justa Dandelion posted:

Fully understand the hate and will bow out here, but to clarify some of those points. The cocktail bars in our area of downtown all close around 11a-12a and we had already gotten a good amount of business from the industry crowd when we opened this the first time around. Also I recognize this isn't a get rich quick scheme, I've opened pop up bars in this space twice already and not seen a profit share. I'm taking no financial risk here, the group already has to pay the overhead and if I can offset that they are willing to part with the profit. The intention is to stack up a few thousand extra in the next couple months and have fun doing a really skinny bootstrap operation rather than the more serious and high budget projects I have been working on. Was looking for some goofy ideas for dumb poo poo to throw at the wall.

What is the actual city it's located? This is essential if you want solid advice. Every market is incredibly different.

edit: also to be clear fully support nasty degenerate drug den vision regardless

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

respectfully though if you don't think we already run our own 24/7 drug den kink show every week you aren't that familiar with it. it'd be so much more revolutionary if you forced one of us to eat a carrot

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I need a new restaurant home.

The tl:dr; for those of you who haven't been keeping up with my career since 2007...

I've been in the industry since 1996, on and off, mostly on. I graduated culinary school in 2007. I have worked every position in the house from dishwasher to general manager. I don't have any really famous or prestigious restaurants on my resume, but I've done some cool poo poo. I've also done a lot of horrific poo poo as a result of spending 11 years of my career as a military spouse with no control over where I lived. So my resume is a poo poo show with stints at the Smithsonian or a season cooking on a schooner in Maine sandwiched between stretches working pizza delivery or managing doomed tiny restaurants.

Recently, I've been focusing on serving. The money is better, I can work more independently, at 41 my body can't take 5 line shifts a week, and I'm good at it. I hate management, and would only consider managing a team in very special circumstances, and then probably only as a FOH manager at a very generous salary. I vastly prefer fine dining to burn-and-turn.

Since moving to Southern Maryland in April, I've been struggling. I also own a pet sitting business which was thriving in Atlanta to the point where I actually quit my restaurant job. Up here, I've been hurting for clients so I went back to serving. I lasted two months at a lovely italian red sauce joint owned by a local couple. I left because we had vastly different ideas about how much access to my free time they got for $3.63/hr part time. So I took a job in the breadstick mines (olive garden.)

I could write a novel about why OG sucks to work for (hint, American capitalism is killing us all) but most of it would be old news to you. Suffice to say it blows, I'm not happy, and I'm not making any money. It's too depressing for me to keep track of accurate numbers, but an average shift is 4 hours, $650 in sales and $75 in tips. (edit: this is after tipping out the bartender and the completely useless bussers. I have never had a server job where I consistently averaged under 20% walking out the door so I don't think my current numbers are a reflection of poor service.)

There are zero good independent fine dining restaurants within a 30 min drive of me.

I'm thinking of widening my radius, but a long commute changes the game a bit, especially when it comes to scheduling pet sitting around my restaurant schedule. I don't want to jump ship until I know I'm landing somewhere I can stay long-term. I also don't want to burn bridges with Darden, because they own a brand I would actually really like to work for if I ever get the chance (Seasons 52). So what I'm thinking is identifying target restaurants, eating there twice, and if they pass my smell test, sending them a resume with a very detailed and customized cover letter about how I would be an asset to their team.

I'm also looking at booze distributors and winery/brewery/distillery operations for sales rep jobs, but those are a bit harder to find. I've been talking to one brewery who says they want me to open up territory for them in my county, but they suck at returning emails and I'm not sure how serious they are.

Give me all of your advice and suggestions. I've run through my savings and need something, but I'm not happy with what I've got right now.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 7, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Wroughtirony posted:

it blows, I'm not happy, and I'm not making any money

Thread title?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
btw this morning as I was making pizza and blasting Cake on my blueteeth speaker obnoxiously loudly, this customer comes up to me and says "Yo, that's my dad's band!"

"Your dad was in loving CAKE?"

"Yup! Trumpet!"

"Well.......... tell him I said hi!"

Later I found the trumpeter's Twitter and he has photos of his family and that absolutely is his son. Wild.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Wroughtirony posted:

I need a new restaurant home.

I'm also looking at booze distributors and winery/brewery/distillery operations for sales rep jobs, but those are a bit harder to find. I've been talking to one brewery who says they want me to open up territory for them in my county, but they suck at returning emails and I'm not sure how serious they are.

Give me all of your advice and suggestions. I've run through my savings and need something, but I'm not happy with what I've got right now.

i would really suggest continuing to follow up with them or widening your search to other breweries/wineries etc. i've known a few people who pivoted to this and seem really happy.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Wroughtirony posted:

There's a handful of Ruth's Chris's in MD, not sure how long they have to be under the Darden umbrella before you can transfer there but you'd definitely make better tips than at OG. Hell you'd probably do really well at Longhorn. The servers at mine do pretty well unless they have a table full of teenagers.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Mob posted:

There's a handful of Ruth's Chris's in MD, not sure how long they have to be under the Darden umbrella before you can transfer there but you'd definitely make better tips than at OG. Hell you'd probably do really well at Longhorn. The servers at mine do pretty well unless they have a table full of teenagers.

The nearest RC is over an hour away in Annapolis, but there is a Longhorn in town. I might go talk to them, but I don't know how tight they are with OG management so I worry that if I go in they'll hear about it.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

My Longhorn just opened in August and during our orientation and training we were told that being able to transfer to another Darden property was a perk and completely fine, but for here the nearest option is a Cheddar's right off the interstate 35 miles away

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Where did 86'd come from? Why that number?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rotate it and add one, the 69th person gets sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

111023_5
Nov 11, 2023
The Restaurant Industry Thread '23: Momma in a stainless steel kitchen with a heavily used frying pan in hand