Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Users being able to do what they're trying to do, and user satisfaction, are irrelevant to increasing profit this quarter. Often users being able to do what they are trying to do detracts from profit by skipping things you've monetized and gotten paid by other companies to prioritize over things users want.

Over the last, say, half decade(?) it feels like there was a silent agreement amongst all the big corporations that customer satisfaction was now completely irrelevant. Perhaps because the big companies have become entrenched enough you don't have alternatives and even search has deteriorated to the point that finding alternatives is nearly impossible.

Companies are now actively hostile against their users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
McDonald's breakfast sausage sucks rear end compared to Maccas breakfast sausage.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Outrail posted:

McDonald's breakfast sausage sucks rear end compared to Maccas breakfast sausage.

nah beef breakfast sausage sucks

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Probe yourself tia

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AARD VARKMAN posted:

This is the truth, beef is a terrible breakfast sausage meat

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Jelly posted:

Like dude, you can get a cheeseburger from Dick's for the same price as a McDonalds cheeseburger. That is insane.

There's this amazing little Mexican place by me where I can get authentic, freshly prepared food for literally the same price as the Taco Bell that's in the same plaza. Easy loving choice.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AARD VARKMAN posted:

by the way I've been using Kagi and it is 100% worth the 10/month imo

I'm giving it another shot and ponied up $10 this month and it's still kinda mid. Will keep using it then see. I do use some browser extensions that enable on google some of the things kafi offers such as domain blocking.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mozi posted:

DOJ is actively suing google for antitrust poo poo rn fwiw

dunno the odds of anything coming from it though

they also courageously blocked Jetblue from acquiring Spirit, which would have been a nightmare for consumers by creating the fifth largest airline in the US; less than half the size of any of the big 4.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
The McDonalds near me still has the two McDoubles for 3.50 deal, thankfully, but instead of a flat dollar for any drink they upped it to 1.25. Fuckers.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm watching Criminal Minds and it's on three services and none of them have appropriately timed subtitles for it. Hulu's are 2 lines ahead, Prime's alternate seemingly at random between slow and fast, and Paramount+ straight up won't show them. The "subtitle" function on my 11 inch bedroom tv 25 years ago worked more consistently than this poo poo does. Enshittifying accessibility is a whole new low

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I'm watching Criminal Minds and it's on three services and none of them have appropriately timed subtitles for it. Hulu's are 2 lines ahead, Prime's alternate seemingly at random between slow and fast, and Paramount+ straight up won't show them. The "subtitle" function on my 11 inch bedroom tv 25 years ago worked more consistently than this poo poo does. Enshittifying accessibility is a whole new low

this is one of the reasons why I pirate
I have the same issues, but slightly less often, while not paying 16.95/month

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Montague Tigg posted:

this is one of the reasons why I pirate
I have the same issues, but slightly less often, while not paying 16.95/month

Bazarr and the opensubtitles people are killing it these days for quality subs.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yo, websites, keep your masthead on top of the goddamn page, I don't need it following me as I scroll down.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
wth piracy if your subs suck, you can fix them yourself or get alternate ones. if you have plex or such it might even be semi automated.

as usual, piracy provides a superior service, cuz it's made by and for the user instead of maximizing some metric or whatever

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Anytime I interact with Discord (which is rare) it makes me wonder how somebody could make a worse IRC.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i'm amazed at how many useless features discord can add monthly yet we can't get a simple word filter or a block feature that like, works

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
discord still actually maintains its main function for me, being ventrilo/teamspeak with link pasting and streaming. it's almost obscene how useful it is pre-IPO

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Duck and Cover posted:

Anytime I interact with Discord (which is rare) it makes me wonder how somebody could make a worse IRC.

I think there's plenty of valid complaints about Discord, but saying it's a worse IRC is bizarre.
You can use it strictly as a IRC clone if you so choose and it's 100× better than IRC ever was.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Discord's ad hoc voice servers are still a huge boon.

Literally everything else leaves much to be desired.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I think there's plenty of valid complaints about Discord, but saying it's a worse IRC is bizarre.
You can use it strictly as a IRC clone if you so choose and it's 100× better than IRC ever was.

Discord is part of the wave of modern UIs I find varying degrees of alien to use. Is in technically better? Sure. Would I get use to the UI if I used it enough? Probably. I think the last time I really used it was to get my 3080 which it did indeed work for.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Discord's ad hoc voice servers are still a huge boon.

Literally everything else leaves much to be desired.

Ewww voice chat.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it's bizarre to me that you have a 3080 (nerd poo poo) and have neither irc equivalent friends nor voice chat friends. Get a damned friend I guess

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

~Coxy posted:

Every time I hear someone say “discord is a worse irc” I wonder if they enjoy going through like 15 steps to send someone an image. Discord I just ctrl-v and it’s there.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

it's bizarre to me that you have a 3080 (nerd poo poo) and have neither irc equivalent friends nor voice chat friends. Get a damned friend I guess

It's okay I've got all of you!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I would say if you just want ephemeral group chat and you are allowed to assume everything is already set up, IRC is probably better. As a client that facilitates the typing of words on a screen into a pile of people to be read, I think IRC does a better job. It however definitely doesn't compete on features at all.

It's annoying to me that these kinds of software solutions have all these features and are solving for the lowest common denominator on UX wrapped in a shtity electron shell. I considered writing a custom Discord client in something native since an API does exist, but got bored of that really quickly :(.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think you're looking for Matrix.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Talorat posted:

Every time I hear someone say “discord is a worse irc” I wonder if they enjoy going through like 15 steps to send someone an image. Discord I just ctrl-v and it’s there.

It's no harder than the forums

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Talorat posted:

Frankly allowing people to send anything other than plaintext over chat services was a mistake.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

Frankly allowing people to send anything other than plaintext over chat services was a mistake.
agreed with one caveat, irc file transfers and channels were cool...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

Ewww voice chat.

Most people use voice chat to shoot the poo poo with their friends while they play games together. Not to talk to internet randos (lord no).

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

~Coxy posted:

It’s impossible for anything to be better than IRC. It had all the greatest nerds on earth developing it for like 20 years. As for the pictures thing IRC could totally do that but nerds never agreed on clients so you have to type letters to send and type letters to accept.

In like 3 years slack and discord will be hitting microsoft levels of enshittification.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Internet Old One posted:

It’s impossible for anything to be better than IRC. It had all the greatest nerds on earth developing it for like 20 years. As for the pictures thing IRC could totally do that but nerds never agreed on clients so you have to type letters to send and type letters to accept.

In like 3 years slack and discord will be hitting microsoft levels of enshittification.

In 3 years Microsoft will sink the bar.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

I think you're looking for Matrix.

What is the Matrix?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

In 3 years we'll be building our first arcology and have company towns back in style.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Yo, websites, keep your masthead on top of the goddamn page, I don't need it following me as I scroll down.

Metrics say having the masthead float increases brand awareness. It really doesn't, but contriving a way to make the numbers say that made a marketing executive feel useful and important.

Virigoth posted:

In 3 years we'll be building our first arcology and have company towns back in style.

This will never happen, arcologies are far too expensive, energy-intensive, and high maintenance to be worth building. More complex technologies impose ever greater demands and risks, and I think we've already reached "peak tech" in most domains and our future will entail technological regression and simplification, not arcologies and laser guns.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 8, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Virigoth posted:

The company town will be optimized, but not for you. Let that sink in.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outrail posted:

The company town will be optimized, but not for you. Let that sink in.

For the Quarterly Profits!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Horseshit, you can't even change the colour of your text arbitrarily, let alone put a background behind it. And the font sucks rear end, fixedsys is the ideal typeface.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

mawarannahr posted:

It's no harder than the forums

Yeah speaking of, when are we getting image upload Jeff!!!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Talorat posted:

Yeah speaking of, when are we getting image upload Jeff!!!

we have a perfectly functioning image attachment system as long as all of the images you are trying to attach are 2001-sized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
If you use /me on discord you can still slap someone with a trout, and that's all I care about.