Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Yeah when Fury said Francis was an awkward boxer i wonder if the inexperience meant that his odd timing made it harder to gauge what speed and range his punches were going to come from

My overall suspicion is that this and Fury’s legitimate fear of Francis’ punching power is why fury looked so bad.

But more than anything, Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

please keep bang bang zhang away from ngannou for at least the first couple years i wanna see him have a chance to develop

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Honestly Ngannou looked way better than I expected. At the sametime it's possible Tyson Fury didn't train 100% for this.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

please keep bang bang zhang away from ngannou for at least the first couple years i wanna see him have a chance to develop

i think he's there and the fight would be incredible.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think Francis definitely benefited from fighting a not particularly hungry Tyson Fury already looking past him, but also he did look very good for a heavyweight, with enough foundational skills and certainly enough punching power to threaten other contenders. I don't know if I would pick him to beat Big Andy for example but I think the odds he could are high.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think Francis definitely benefited from fighting a not particularly hungry Tyson Fury already looking past him, but also he did look very good for a heavyweight, with enough foundational skills and certainly enough punching power to threaten other contenders. I don't know if I would pick him to beat Big Andy for example but I think the odds he could are high.

ruiz and zhang i think would be tougher matches for sure

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
nearly beating a fury that made the walk and was fighting for real is loving incredible. fury looked the worst i've ever seen him, sure, but i think francis has a legitimate chance against literally anyone in the top ten.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

nearly beating a fury that made the walk and was fighting for real is loving incredible. fury looked the worst i've ever seen him, sure, but i think francis has a legitimate chance against literally anyone in the top ten.

I’m not as high on Ngannou as others, and feel like his performance against Fury is not indicative of how he’d fare against other heavyweights.

Fury looked the worst I’ve ever seen him look, physically. Fury’s boxing style is based off of his excellent movement and feinting. Feints are something that work on experienced boxers, because those boxers have seen shots that look like that coming before, and know how to counter (or at least dodge) so they react. I think Ngannou didn’t react to the feints because he didn’t know how to react, he hadn’t seen that type of movement before. Them being feints, he didn’t get punished at all for ignoring them.

Another big fury skill is his clinch work and, well, you’re not beating Francis Ngannou with clinching.

Two of fury’s big skills are therefore nullified. This led to a lot of confusion for fury, and his retreat to keeping the distance and jabbing.

Ngannou can’t just stand there against Zhang, and he can’t do that against wilder. He might be able to stand in against Andy Ruiz, but I think Ruiz will be fast enough to stick and move to a points win.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

nearly beating a fury that made the walk and was fighting for real is loving incredible.

Yeah, even factoring in a lot of bravado, Fury has said poo poo like he slammed 14 pints before destroying three sparring partners. Fury’s skill level wasn’t going down to zero no matter what. That a combo of sheer power and a bare minimum set of tactics to land the power was able to match up on any form of Fury is impressive but also extremely HW.

Mr. F! posted:

Feints are something that work on experienced boxers, because those boxers have seen shots that look like that coming before, and know how to counter (or at least dodge) so they react. I think Ngannou didn’t react to the feints because he didn’t know how to react, he hadn’t seen that type of movement before. Them being feints, he didn’t get punished at all for ignoring them.
It’s a valid argument — Ngannou couldn’t fear what Fury was showing, which I’m sure helped with the psychology over the fight. But, Fury’s corner also had 9 rounds to tell him “hey, just go for it; he can’t even tell”

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 31, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

But he did bite on feints. Plenty of em. He was just biting by throwing counter punches at nothing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

But he did bite on feints. Plenty of em. He was just biting by throwing counter punches at nothing.

I should rewatch but I only recall him countering and missing once Fury had already landed. He didn’t bothered with the small stuff Fury was doing on the outside.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

I should rewatch but I only recall him countering and missing once Fury had already landed. He didn’t bothered with the small stuff Fury was doing on the outside.

Jack Slack had clips of this in his (paywalled) article on the fight. Not all of them became full punches, like Francis would fire a punch and then pull it back when he realized that he had bitten on a shoulder feint.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

I’m not as high on Ngannou as others, and feel like his performance against Fury is not indicative of how he’d fare against other heavyweights.

Fury looked the worst I’ve ever seen him look, physically. Fury’s boxing style is based off of his excellent movement and feinting. Feints are something that work on experienced boxers, because those boxers have seen shots that look like that coming before, and know how to counter (or at least dodge) so they react. I think Ngannou didn’t react to the feints because he didn’t know how to react, he hadn’t seen that type of movement before. Them being feints, he didn’t get punished at all for ignoring them.

Another big fury skill is his clinch work and, well, you’re not beating Francis Ngannou with clinching.

Two of fury’s big skills are therefore nullified. This led to a lot of confusion for fury, and his retreat to keeping the distance and jabbing.

Ngannou can’t just stand there against Zhang, and he can’t do that against wilder. He might be able to stand in against Andy Ruiz, but I think Ruiz will be fast enough to stick and move to a points win.

if francis demonstrated anything it's that even in boxing, getting hit by him loving sucks and at heavyweight, there's few greater boons. i'm not saying he'd beat anyone in the top 10, but i am saying it would be a loving fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

wilder has the most dog poo poo fundamentals in pro boxing but because he hit really loving hard he won a world championship and it took a prime fury to definitively beat him. repeatedly. francis would do alright against anyone in the top 10 and i'd pay to see it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It doesn't take a ton of skill to compete at heavyweight, just being big and athletic will get guys very far. And it helps that most big athletic guys end up in other sports that hurt less and pay more.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Ninth Layer posted:

It doesn't take a ton of skill to compete at heavyweight, just being big and athletic will get guys very far. And it helps that most big athletic guys end up in other sports that hurt less and pay more.

Yup, I was going to make a similar observation; if you're 5'6" and a lean 125lbs you could be an athletic phenomenon with generational speed and power and the big team sports will still have no use for you. If all that's true and you're six inches taller and a hundred pounds heavier, you're not boxing.

Isn't there also something to the idea that, once the fighters are clocking in at two hundred plus pounds, everyone has fight ending potential in their punches, whereas in lighter weight classes that's an uncommon attribute?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Isn't there also something to the idea that, once the fighters are clocking in at two hundred plus pounds, everyone has fight ending potential in their punches, whereas in lighter weight classes that's an uncommon attribute?

Yes and no. There's power and there's power, which is the uncanny fight-ending "jesus he killed him" power that some people just have. I don't feel that "he's dead" power is more or less common at any weight, but what I will give is that there are fewer fighters in the heavier weight classes that seem to completely lack the ability to end fights with strikes, though pillow fisted heavyweights still exist.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I found mma data faster than boxing.

https://www.fightmatrix.com/ufc-records/ufc-fight-outcomes-by-weight-class/
They claim that’s kept up to date.

Submission rate is surprisingly constant.
Power:chin resistance obviously rises as weight increases, at least matching intuitive perception.
Though it’s not a sure thing, it’s certainly valid to be more worried about getting your clock cleaned at HW.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 31, 2023

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

CommonShore posted:

Jack Slack had clips of this in his (paywalled) article on the fight. Not all of them became full punches, like Francis would fire a punch and then pull it back when he realized that he had bitten on a shoulder feint.

I need to rewatch but I feel like ngnannou didn’t really start biting until round 6.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Crossposting from the MMA thread:

Some amusing screenshots I got of the fight

If yall didn't know the name,

quote:

Ngannou spoke about GIMIK Fight Promotions and noted that UFC president Dana White was unintentionally instrumental in his decision. He mentioned that White's insults towards the discussions for his boxing bouts being gimmick fights led him to use the name.

He said:
"I was just doing my thing and then at the end of the day, I put it out. It was all about gimmick fight, which is the same thing that he [Dana White] was trying to do, a gimmick fight. Next time that he has a gimmick fight, he should send it over to me, I'll handle it."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rewatched it. Before, I watched Gabriel Varga's analysis of it. His main argument is that Ngannou never bothered to to try to slip the smaller punches in an offensive sequence, keep balance, and then throw the counter. He was throwing the left hook as soon as he could tell that Fury was throwing for real, so frequently within a half beat. So he took a lot of risk of getting hit hard to have a fast response given his very limited reading ability.

CommonShore posted:

Leading up to the R3 knockdown, Ngannou either ignored or didn't see anything twitchy Fury was reading. He also did not care about about Fury trying to mess with distance by dipping forward and to the left.
He did sometimes shift back in response to some of Fury's slower and higher amplitude steps.
I think I saw a read on roughly 50% of the feints, and he did something on half of those.

Ngannou was throwing the left hook in response to anything Fury was coming forward and landing on, and getting close a few times.
His own offense was mostly fast straight punch combos and the occasional body shot.
Mid R2 is when he threw a few uppercuts/shovel hooks in a tie up that changed Fury's expression a bit.

Up until mid R4, Tyson has a mild upper edge in posturing in clinches. But then in one clinch, Ngannou just shucks him off violently from a Thai plum to corner him, going into another clinch where he noticeably starts using more strength to muscle Fury around.

Fury's feint rate starts going down, but he does land more. He sometimes bounces/pendulum steps and Ngannou doesn't do anything off of those.
I see twitches where Ngannou does nothing but inch forward and threatens to land another bomb. Maybe that's one of the key ways Fury's getting thrown off, not getting tactical respect from half of his feints, so he doesn't know where Ngannou will be a split second later.

By R5, I'm mystified by Fury's inconsistency. He's very defensively responsible and parrying a lot of Ngannou's reaching crosses. But his jab is way off. He could be firing from further out, holding Ngannou back with more body jabs, but he's not doing any of that.

He's able to jab and duck under the answering left hook to wrap Ngannou up pretty consistently, at least.
Ngannou has landed enough grazing stuff that I think Fury has a decent measure of his power and the fact that it's still there.

So far, Ngannou's major reason by far for missing the left hook is first getting jabbed on his head or guard and being off balance.
When he does react to feints, it's usually to cover up really quick, not to counter.

Ooh, 1:20 left in R7, Ngannou gets a very solid, definitely unintentional (he was trying yet another counter left hook) headbutt from southpaw on a closing in Fury. One of the better strikes he landed by Fury's reaction.

By R8, Fury is trying to step up the tempo on Ngannou who's gasping a bit. But every time he lands a bit harder, Ngannou manages to put him on the ropes and land a visually strong punch on the guard, or tie up with the upper hand strength wise. 2nd half is as much of a slugfest as the fight gets, with Ngannou invigorating with a huge crowd reaction to his success.
I don't remember this phase being that bad for Fury, but rewatch has me agreeing with commentator "I've never see Tyson Fury looking so ragged!"
This is a more impressive display of Ngannou's boxing potential than the knockdown. He takes a few punches but otherwise is clubbing Fury's guard, landing frequently, dominating the clinch visually.
I don't see his face head on, but I think Ngannou's smiling and thinking he can go the distance now.

R9 and 10, feints are pretty much gone. Some pendulum stepping, but a lot more staying out at range, not popping up the shoulder.

I think overall, the fight matches my recollection. Ngannou mostly set the distance independent of what Fury was doing, and generally only threw the hook after a jab had landed. A lot of what would have moved other heavyweights got no reaction from Ngannou, so I think that did work in his favor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fury interview 2 days after the fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTOFDVNzMM0&t=50s
I haven't really ever seen him talking after a fight (after leaving the ring, I suppose), so I dunno if this is how he normally is or if he's especially muted or humbled cuz of the closeness of the fight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fury is a marketing guy, his personality is whatever suits him best in the moment.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't have the link handy but Jack Slack made his 3000 word technical breakdown available to all outside of the paywall.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Found it to read later

https://www.fightprimer.com/how-francis-ngannou-killed-the-king

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Apparently the PPV buys were really bad for it and now a bunch of boxing matchmaking geniuses are sure that Francis is actually unmarketable. Goddamn the internet makes you stupid.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thats surprising

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

i really liked the bits on how the clinch is used in boxing. not something i knew anything about

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ilmucche posted:

i really liked the bits on how the clinch is used in boxing. not something i knew anything about

its like 90% of what made floyd so untouchable

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow that was a great read.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
And, as the article points out, most MMA fighters are actually much more skilled and practiced in framing away clinches than most boxers. You really don't want to give a wrestler unimpeded chest to chest contact, so they have a lot of reps, and a lot more institutional knowledge, at framing on the shoulders, the arms, framing with the head, etc.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Louis Theroux interviews Anthony Joshua came out last night. It's on BBC.

Louis is a British kooky documentary maker. He has a personable style that disarms people and gets them to be quite open.

After watching AJ.... He (as always) seems like a nice guy. But I will be betting against him at his next fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Jake Paul returning on 12/15 against a 10-1 cruiserweight. Respect to him for taking on a real boxer and not putting this on ppv.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1722268813318832311

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1722270190631879048

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

The SituAsian posted:

Jake Paul returning on 12/15 against a 10-1 cruiserweight. Respect to him for taking on a real boxer and not putting this on ppv.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1722268813318832311

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1722270190631879048

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1722276335098441755

https://twitter.com/RodDelCampo/status/1722271860535210167

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yeah that's about where he should be realistically. good luck jake paul with your strategy of becoming a such a detestable wealthy person that you had to take the redemption route to respectability usually only reserved for the poors: brain damage for entertainment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Imagine being the boxer singled out as a can for that. Wonder if it’ll be better than average payday for him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I'd do it for free drinks after because I would absolutely be able to lay at least one good one on Jake Paul which would feel good.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

If you look at the guy who’s beaten august before he’s banned from unarmed sports indefinitely lmao

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Mr. F! posted:

If you look at the guy who’s beaten august before he’s banned from unarmed sports indefinitely lmao

lol boxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

unarmed sports

....... just unarmed?