Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

death cob for cutie posted:

lots of people do - it's short for "elevated". you see it called the "L" in official CTA documents, with quotes; a lot of people type "el" because it's clearer in context - especially if you're talking to someone from like, NYC, where the L train is a specific line.

Friend of mine found this book at a Goodwill and gave it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

are you using the maximum lot size? that's what the largest footprint of NA low density commercial buildings are modeled after, iirc they start to look like that at around level 4/5. the game should have had something like rowhouse style commercial for strip malls though.

another issue with commercial is that the actual building assets are 30-50% gas stations depending on the zone depth. there's one 2x2 and one 2x3 low density commercial buildings and one 2x2 and one 2x3 gas station, which i think might be why people are getting streets that are nothing but gas stations

My gas station districts are zoned 6 deep and 250m-1km+ wide, it's definitely not just zoning in free space and getting the only small buildings. The UI tooltips for zone demand list specifically gas station presence as a factor, I'm assuming its trying its best to fulfill whatever it sees for that.

Ironically they're refusing to pop at all on the 2-3 deep spots I have to the side of my main industrial drag, where they'd be realistically useful. Most are on intra-settlement stretches, but one is just on a grid spur out toward (but not reaching) the border that I'm using to keep everything aligned.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
I ended up creating an overground Subway network because I like the above ground metro station way more than the train station. The downside is cost and interoperability with inter-city and cargo rail, but I'm on sandbox mode so it doesn't bother me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Despite mods not being live there are maps on Nexus already, nothing major but if you want a giant featureless plane to mold it's definitely there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

socialsecurity posted:

Despite mods not being live there are maps on Nexus already, nothing major but if you want a giant featureless plane to mold it's definitely there.

the vestiges of the editor are in the game and accessible by removing a commented line of code, but it's mostly nonfunctional

one cool thing i did see in it is that there's something called a "terrain material brush" so it looks like you actually can just paint textures directly onto the map and CO just hasn't said anything about it to anyone outside of the good old boys club

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I have like 97% of cims using ramps properly but there's a handful who insist on popping a levitation potion from Morrowind

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Really would like some info on when the mod platform is going to appear.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

I have like 97% of cims using ramps properly but there's a handful who insist on popping a levitation potion from Morrowind

Try moving whatever they are trying to reach.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Sounds like you've got a Telvanni infestation. Look around for fungus to demolish and you might be able to get rid of them.

I do kinda want a mod which replaces birds with cliff racers.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fellblade posted:

Really would like some info on when the mod platform is going to appear.

Yeah was hoping it was going to be after like a week. I was hoping at the very least that the supposedly-already-finished creator pack would be out this week to add some variety to buildings :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

death cob for cutie posted:

lots of people do - it's short for "elevated". you see it called the "L" in official CTA documents, with quotes; a lot of people type "el" because it's clearer in context - especially if you're talking to someone from like, NYC, where the L train is a specific line.

If I recall CTA declared the official short name for the network to be The 'L', single quotes capital letter, a decade or two ago and that's part of the branding guidelines now. But yeah El is way more understandable. And of course most people just do what they want regardless of 'official'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 8, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Really looking forward to an asset pack drop. I'm enjoying this a lot actually but the building variation really is lacking. Hopefully this impending update will make it a bit better.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mannnn I really wish they'd tell us when they're planning on dropping patches, for my addicted rear end. It's weird waking up and checking to see if a new one came out, and knowing by about lunchtime eastern-time that if one didn't come out, they've gone home for the day and I have to wait until tomorrow.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

explosivo posted:

Really looking forward to an asset pack drop. I'm enjoying this a lot actually but the building variation really is lacking. Hopefully this impending update will make it a bit better.

Same. I'm feeling kind of done with my starter city and looking to start over with what I know now, but I'm hoping those asset packs are full on themes with different road markings and stuff and want to use one of them for a new city.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Mannnn I really wish they'd tell us when they're planning on dropping patches, for my addicted rear end. It's weird waking up and checking to see if a new one came out, and knowing by about lunchtime eastern-time that if one didn't come out, they've gone home for the day and I have to wait until tomorrow.

Agreed, I’m not watching that closely admittedly but it would be nice to know if some of the bigger things like mods are “November” or “Q1 (read: march.)”

Wild guess but I think we’ll probably get a roughly biweekly to monthly patch for a lot of the minor things they can patch up, more like hot fixes.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I kinda hit the wall with Lag City. I'm at level 9 with high density unlocked, but there's no residential demand. The only demand is commercial, which is easy to oversaturate.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
Anyone figured out what causes the mess of "Overlapping Items" issues with raised track over roads? Maybe every hour or so I get stuck and have to level a whole block to fix it.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Ostrava posted:

Anyone figured out what causes the mess of "Overlapping Items" issues with raised track over roads? Maybe every hour or so I get stuck and have to level a whole block to fix it.

I think it’s the pillars. If you micromanage length of pieces and things it intersects with you can change if it lets you or not. I found it very fiddly and frustrating

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Pillars were my experience as well. Gotta start in the middle of a segment instead of at a corner, and manually click in the middles as well.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If you're trying to drag out a line past a large building making sure the section you're building starts before the building and ends after the building so there's no pillars in front of the building.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I think it’s the pillars. If you micromanage length of pieces and things it intersects with you can change if it lets you or not. I found it very fiddly and frustrating

I think you're probably right but even when being careful it happens on occasion. I think this scenario may also be involved:

___________________TRACK A____________________________

_____________________ROAD A__________________ _______ROAD B_________________________________

I think having a track that spans to road sections may essentially glue them together.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jyrraeth posted:

Sounds like the El train does what the C train does sometimes.
(I used to think it was the L-train, whoops)

it's spanish for "the train" so you don't need call it "the el train" you can just say "el train"

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

it's spanish for "the train" so you don't need call it "the el train" you can just say "el train"

The Nino

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
After making two pretty fine-working cities of 100k+ I decided to buy a month of GeForce Now so I can let this game sit here doing nothing while I watch streams on the other monitor/read SA threads waiting for another block of medium density housing to be ready to zone without melting down my computer.

What is missing that I can't get a city of 100k to build a single building over 6 stories high? Building as much low density as they wanted didn't work, building zero low density isn't working either.

???

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah I got to 86k and wound up with infinite low density residential demand, no idea why.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think it’s easy to fall into a trap of “successful small city > people want to move in > sprawl and provide the same services > successful small city.” I hit this a few times and just sort of forced it by sort of doing a “if you build it they will come” with denser areas that had lots of transport and good service coverage. I think education helps too, if you haven’t made the jump to universities.

That said I have no idea if I was actually affecting the weird perpetual low density stagnation or if it coincidentally broke out on its own so YMMV.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
In my second "I'll try this instead" city, I've got 4 universities + a ton of the lower education options with libraries/playgrounds/extensions on all elementary schools, my citizenry is 19% well-educated, roughly about 40% of my roads are 4 lane and there's only one regularly occurring traffic jam in the city (out on the highway as it merges down to the ingress road). I've got parks and recreation everywhere.

I haven't run busses in this second city since it's so insanely annoying to make a bus route (there needs to be a "Automatically plot bus routes based on my stops" button), I've got cargo & passenger rail, and my trams all just run one immediately after the other, because of course they do. The busses weren't doing anything for density in the first city though.

Fire and Police are all well covered/everything is green, I've got something like 50% mail coverage (as I've only 3 post offices per zip code, so obviously), and roughly 50% of my city is garbage dumps with 1/20 trucks doing anything in City 1, and zero garbage dumps in City 2 and it's roughly the same amount of backed up trash.

One thing I haven't done is upgrade the police/fire stations to their fullest, since I assume if you unlock those then the game discovers fire and crime, so I wonder if just having boring rear end regular fire and police coverage is stopping the densityloving cims from building? If so, lol.

Why on earth did they gently caress up pipes/underground building so hard? It worked fine in the first game, and now you've got a 15% chance of connecting that outboud sewage dispenser to the network on your first attempt at running pipes.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think it’s easy to fall into a trap of “successful small city > people want to move in > sprawl and provide the same services > successful small city.” I hit this a few times and just sort of forced it by sort of doing a “if you build it they will come” with denser areas that had lots of transport and good service coverage. I think education helps too, if you haven’t made the jump to universities.

That said I have no idea if I was actually affecting the weird perpetual low density stagnation or if it coincidentally broke out on its own so YMMV.

That's what I did. Just zoned it, built a university and then a technical school. High density and office demand started actually happening at that point.

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...
I haven't had low density demand since passing 65k or so. It's like other said, pack in your city services and make the area as dense as you can so that people will want to live there. That might involve ignoring the low density demand for a while too until you get the point across that you won't be giving them any zoning for it.

quote:

there needs to be a "Automatically plot bus routes based on my stops" button

I hear that. I started public transport really late and regret it now. I spend most of my time paused trying to clean up mass transit and make good routes. At least making a half decent subway system doesn't involve destroying too much since it's all underground. I'm currently sitting at 186k pop and it's like a death by a thousand cuts at this point from all the small little bugs. The driving AI is what is killing me with it's last second decision to turn when they are in front of a intersection. That and citizens jaywalking just makes massive traffic jams that take ages to clear out.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The 'jaywalking' cycles killing intersections are the worst.

OwlFancier posted:

The los carnales

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Unbound posted:

That's what I did. Just zoned it, built a university and then a technical school. High density and office demand started actually happening at that point.

Also building off of this, I actually like this in a very specific weird way. I like the idea of sprawling a lot and then upgrading and up-zoning what you want to be your actual high density downtown. I think one thing that's always plagued city builders is that density has always been weirdly artificial (at least the way I play.) I always end up making weird suburbs until my city is basically begging for an actual urban core. The way it plays out is that I have some weird, central area that's basically undeveloped hole and waiting for the right RCI bars to spike, then suddenly there's a "City." Cities don't grow like that: setting aside their actual 'center' until enough people move into suburbs. Its very far from perfect but kind of sprawling all over and then up-zoning the core is pleasing. I think the demand bars being the easy "this is what I need to do" feedback for the player don't do a good job in this specific transition to density, it does have to be more of a deliberate player action that they don't give any real 'tell' for.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Switching my understanding of the RCI bars from this is what my city needs to function to this is what will actually build if I zone it made the game a lot more enjoyable. I didn't want to build any more suburbs so I just didn't. Your city will grow more slowly if you only respond to medium and high density demand but the faster expansion of low density is not fun for me at all, especially with how much repetitive work is associated with sprawling (bus stops, bus routes, mail and internet coverage etc)

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
RCI is more like a "want" instead of a "need", I think. People want more single family residential, but all theyre gonna get is apartments and soviet style low rent housing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
RCI should be replaced with a meter representing open jobs / unemployment, and housing availability / demand, and resource production / resource demand, imho.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Memory is fuzzy, but I sort of remember this same RCI discussion happening when people were trying to make sense of the game behavior in the first game.

Ether Frenzy posted:

After making two pretty fine-working cities of 100k+ I decided to buy a month of GeForce Now so I can let this game sit here doing nothing while I watch streams on the other monitor/read SA threads waiting for another block of medium density housing to be ready to zone without melting down my computer.
Does that “idling” work? GeForce Now seems to boot me after a few minutes (the internet tells me 8) if I don’t press a key. But I’m away from the computer, not doing something else on it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Inject the new patch right in to my freaking veins

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/patch-notes-for-1-0-13f1-hotfix-steam-microsoft-store.1608490/

quote:

Bug fixes & improvements:
Balanced Garbage production and accumulation calculations
Fixed garbage truck accidentally adding garbage load when calculating garbage amount estimate for the path
Fixed garbage resource "Trade value" showing negative value in statistics
Balanced Incinerator Plant electricity output
Fixed various character clothing issues
Balanced stray pets in the city
Increased pathfind penalty for unsafe u-turns on highway
Fixed incorrect traffic lane-changing behavior when one or more lanes are merged to one from the left side
Balanced Water Consumption of multiple City Service buildings
Fixed wrong zoning grid offset when opposite side of pedestrian street, alley or gravel road has retaining wall. (This can cause some zoning issues that cannot be automatically fixed if this type of location is already zoned in a save)
Fixed cars signaling wrong side when leaving roundabout with left-hand traffic (Takes effect on existing saves only after touching roads near the roundabout with road tool)
Fixed parking fee policy available for subway stations even though they don't have parking spaces
Fixed an issue with randomization of radio ads per brand influence in a city
Fixed faulty unicode and non-alphanumerical characters support to Microsoft cloud saves
Fixes various occurrences of randomly bright windows on vehicles
Matched Transportation infoview stop legend colors to stop icon colors
Performance optimization to polygon area triangulation and validation
Fix for potential error: Inspector failed to parse HTTP data on connection

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How...
I have a massive gridlock because the yellow car here somehow thinks it can't proceed into its destination which is just to the right of it.

Edit: Fixed by changing the road to a one-way. Or at least broken up.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 9, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

“Fixed an issue with randomization of radio ads per brand influence in a city.”

While some of these things are neat additions to be sure they really put the cart before the horse when it comes to their “horse balls shrink in the cold” type of details, huh? Maybe make sure the game like, runs okay first.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The garbage fixes apparently involve multiplying the processing capacity of the facilities by 100.
My landfill with a single Hazardous Waste Collection Point attached processed 1.5 t a month before, now it can process 150 t a month.
My incineration plants do 4,500 t a month, and I decided to just switch all but a single off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

“Fixed an issue with randomization of radio ads per brand influence in a city.”

While some of these things are neat additions to be sure they really put the cart before the horse when it comes to their “horse balls shrink in the cold” type of details, huh? Maybe make sure the game like, runs okay first.

Changes like that may literally be a ten-minute 'I know what went wrong whoops just gotta change one line' fix though.

Also that wouldn't be someone on the graphics/performance team.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 9, 2023