Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Cease to Hope posted:

he's in a box with them because the box is from 9e when characters worked differently. you can play him as a regular warboss and end up under 1K.

your army is essentially fine for starting out and everything you're proposing buying here is reasonable except for some bummers from the combat patrol.

the deff dread is dead weight. genuinely lousy. 3-4 rokkits 0-1 claw or 3 skorchas 1 claw is the best value you can get from it but this is a unit you want to ditch ASAP. it's better in 1K than 2K but even then it's just okay.

deffkoptas are also just okay. (all rokkits, the blasta is always a trap.) they just kinda dribble out shooting unreliably. they're decent as fast objective holders but you're paying a premium over warbikes and stormboyz. plus, they're kinda bad at getting cover. by the time you want to replace these, points changes might have them closer to optimal though.

you were right to notice your anti-tank problems. you have a handful of options. squighogs and their characters are go-to elite picks right now. they're absurdly tough and one of them can take the headchoppa to get dev wounds with that anti-vehicle/monster 4+. you can also get this from a beastboss in a charging unit of beast snaggas.

alternately, power klaw nobz are very, very good in a trukk, and will kill a vehicle just as well as anything else, with the help of unbridled carnage. these guys or CSM chosen are probably the most underpriced melee unit in the game right now and both of them whip rear end. it rules that a warboss and nobz in a trukk is an optimal hammer right now. nobz are so good they've kinda eclipsed boyz for many applications

if you want to do a conversion project, a kill tank is your best anti-tank shooting at the moment. don't buy the overpriced and kinda ugly forge world model, just build your own. this is a rec for a certain kind of hobbyist and ork fan, so ymmv.

other expansion ideas:

kill rigs and battlewagons are fun for dumping out a huge horde or maybe just a juiced meganobz unit (force field meks and warbosses are both good) or maybe just ghaz and a couple friends.

speaking of, meganobz and ghaz are good, but slow. it's easy for them to get isolated and shot to pieces or just pinned out of position. meganobz are priced with this in mind but ghaz is priced based on the assumption that you have a plan to get him into combat somehow. he's also surprisingly vulnerable to precision units. (btw, a ghaz rules quirk: once he's on his own, you're goin to want to assign all shooting to makari because you can't switch assignment targets until the model has died. lots of people play fast and loose with this but it is how the rules work.)

gretchin are obligatory. not for killing anything obviously, but you definitely want them as objective sitters for the CP, and they cost basically nothing.

bikers and stormboyz and kommandos are cheap suicide units to contest or take points. kommandos are the premium option of the three but they screw with damage math so they can be surprisingly sticky. their characters are all fine (except for snikrot, rip to the best finecast model ever) but is this where you want to be spending more points?

flash gitz with kaptin badrukk are hilarious. it turns out heavy bolters are finally good when you can get 70-some shots with them, rerolling to hit, go figure. remember that the unit ability also boosts badrukk's gun.

most ork non-unique characters are good. forcefield meks are good in meganobz, nobz, or a big boyz unit. painboyz and the banner nob are great with nobz. both warbosses are great. weirdboyz are fun as objective harassers and mission doers, in a unit of 10 boyz or even solo. i already mentioned how good beastbosses and squig nobs are. the squig beastboss can be good if you give him the headchoppa (but a squig nob can use it just as well), and the shokk attack gun mek is only held back by the mediocrity of the units he can join.

Quoting fir myself for later

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hello!

I do not play 40k (though I read and loved the Eisenhorn book trilogy.)

I got a 40k player in the work Secret Santa. He said he is orks.

What would be an appropriate gift for this hobby? Target price range is $25 but I'm willing to go slightly higher if necessary.

Thanks!

The cheapest ork thing I can think of is the Gretchin set.

Personally I'd always be down for some extra green bodies cause you can stick them anywhere on a kitbash project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Nancy posted:

Like the esteemed Professor said, Da Red Gobbo will probably be up for preorder this weekend maybe?

But yeah even he is prob gonna be a $35 model, $25 will get you like 3 paints or some loose sprues on Ebay.

I just can't. All the "warsuit" models just look so dumb.

I can do $35, that's not a big deal

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hello!

What would be an appropriate gift for this hobby? Target price range is $25 but I'm willing to go slightly higher if necessary.

Thanks!

Just in case you didn't know, your LGS and ebay will have 15% to 20% discounts or higher for anything you may find on the GW website.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Are Orks Lootas any good? They're on Amazon for $30-something.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hello!

Thanks!

Dice tray, ideally a foldable one. Get this at a hobby store or Etsy. This runs the risk of being something he already has but so, so often people don't.

Nice-looking dice. Tons of choices here, game stores mainly. 40K players just want regular six-sided cubic dice usually.

Vallejo sells sets of paints with eight bottles for about $25-30, something like this. Tabletop game store, hobby store, scale model store, or RC/drone place would have these. Army Painter also sells similar paint sets. Don't overspend here, smaller is better, but you generally don't have to worry about buying low-quality paints as long as you are in a game store. (A craft or general hobby store might mean you'd want to know the difference between cheap and nice acrylic paint.)

Atlas Red Sable brushes should cost under $10 for a nice set of 3-4 and they're very good (and an incredible value).

A Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser story collection, by Critz Leiber. If someone is into a particular series it can be hard to know what they have or don't have but this is one of the big inspirations for Warhammer and some very fun stories to boot.

40K objective markers. They're just big circles but they're so handy. This is definitely something to get on Etsy.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

LiterallyATomato posted:

Are Orks Lootas any good? They're on Amazon for $30-something.

as a unit? not really. no AP and needing to plant feet for heavy weapons makes them inflexible and unreliable.

the models look good and can be bashed into big meks and flash gitz, though, although you'll need some 40mm bases for that.

it's not a particularly amazing sale, though. they're on for $33, though, which is about the usual 15% off GW's full price of $38.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Found this fun poster on twitter:-

https://x.com/wh40kbestof/status/1722149956419784883?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

It should be Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau but it’s a nice homage anyway

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Should've been Abaddon in the background.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So it looks like I might be rescuing a Taurox, I wanna throw some wheels on it though, enough to make it a least a half-trak but ideally a 6-wheeler. Anyone have any suggestions for the right sized wheels/axels for that? Probably something off an Ork vehicle I'm thinking

E: also I dont mind if it's non-GW plastic, these are for fun

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 8, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is a bunch of Taurox wheel kits sold here and there.

Zinge has both a 6 wheeler:
https://www.zinge.co.uk/collections/vehicle-accessories/products/apc-vehicle-conversion-kit-6-wheeler-suspension-2-upgrade-forest-sprues

And a 4 wheeler kit:
https://www.zinge.co.uk/collections...e-forest-sprues

Those are the ones with some upgrade bits but the basic assemblies are also available. Wheels bought separately.

Models and Minis has a 6 wheeler kit:
https://www.modelsandminis.com/details/p2965327_14032046.aspx

Finally Victoria Miniatures has a very nice 4 wheel kit:
https://victoriaminiatures.com/products/apc-wheel-and-suspension-kit-gamer-edition?_pos=2&_sid=d9741d517&_ss=r

I managed to get the early edition of the VM one a while back that I used instead of the Zinge kit I bought.
So I really need to get a new Taurox.

Then I am sure there are oodles of STLs that others will link you.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I just printed this Haruspex proxy and it is massive and amazing and I can't wait to paint it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

"Brother. it's behind me isn't it?"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cooked Auto posted:

There is a bunch of Taurox wheel kits sold here and there.

Zinge has both a 6 wheeler:
https://www.zinge.co.uk/collections/vehicle-accessories/products/apc-vehicle-conversion-kit-6-wheeler-suspension-2-upgrade-forest-sprues

And a 4 wheeler kit:
https://www.zinge.co.uk/collections...e-forest-sprues

Those are the ones with some upgrade bits but the basic assemblies are also available. Wheels bought separately.

Models and Minis has a 6 wheeler kit:
https://www.modelsandminis.com/details/p2965327_14032046.aspx

Finally Victoria Miniatures has a very nice 4 wheel kit:
https://victoriaminiatures.com/products/apc-wheel-and-suspension-kit-gamer-edition?_pos=2&_sid=d9741d517&_ss=r

I managed to get the early edition of the VM one a while back that I used instead of the Zinge kit I bought.
So I really need to get a new Taurox.

Then I am sure there are oodles of STLs that others will link you.

Oooooo thank you this is super helpful. I'm looking to turn a landspeeder into a jeep as well to this also helps (if I ever find it in the attic). Now all I gotta do is win this beat up old Taurox :D

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How'd I do?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That's an excellent Guillllleman my good fellow.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Not sure what I should do for the freebooterz ship I'm making. Flight stand so it's an aerial vehicle or attach a chassis/tires to the hull?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Not sure what I should do for the freebooterz ship I'm making. Flight stand so it's an aerial vehicle or attach a chassis/tires to the hull?

I've been meaning to do this for my Wave Serpent but haven't yet... (link is for making your own beefy flight stand) https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-base-everything-flying-stands/

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That right there is a Grade A good Robert Ghilliesuit.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

hell yeah dude

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Demilich posted:

consider:

ship dragging on the ground with oars

same but carried or dragged by orks

legs

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Deff Choppa that is propelled by gretchins waving chopper blades up and down real fast

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
pulled by squigs motivated by a terrified gretchin tied to a stick

the boat is just sitting on top of a pile of dynamite

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A Weirdboy at the front who is psychically moving the ship because he believes there are squigs moving it but it will crash and burn if he looks down

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

I've been posting my progress with a Genestealer Cult over in the painting thread but I dunno where to put this so I figure here is a safe bet.

I built a Sanctus out of spare parts today. This is probably what's going to get me to buy greenstuff. There's a few gaps I should fill..

I finished this guy today, I ended up getting a way better head in the Hive Scum box so now he gets to have NVGs

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/09/master-the-meteorological-with-the-mystical-white-scars-stormseer-consul/

My god, a new White Scars model.
For 30k. :v:

Then again, pretty spiffy count-as Librarian model either way.
If you like resin.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That model rocks

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

I got most of the base layers done on my canoness. I wanted to show off how a different head, arms, and facing can change the canoness from the combat patrol box, who I always thought was a bit stiff.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's very nice! I agree the base model is very static and a little dull. A nice conversion!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not wrong, the first, monopose, one isn't great. When I painted one up a while back all I could do that was to swap out the head.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Hey stupid question, is the thing I found and broke chunks off in my house to use as heroic rocks asbestos

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Probably

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Hey stupid question, is the thing I found and broke chunks off in my house to use as heroic rocks asbestos

A picture would probably be helpful, or some sense of where you broke it off from? Also please don't cannibalize your house for basing materials, wtf.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
How does it taste?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I got most of the base layers done on my canoness. I wanted to show off how a different head, arms, and facing can change the canoness from the combat patrol box, who I always thought was a bit stiff.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Is it kinda "fuzzy?" It could be

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Ashcans posted:

A picture would probably be helpful, or some sense of where you broke it off from? Also please don't cannibalize your house for basing materials, wtf.

I didn't, I found it by a dumpster.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is it kinda "fuzzy?" It could be

Yeah but that could be fiberglass mixed with cement? It didn't even occur to me until now and I'm gonna go throw it all away to be safe and pretend it never happened.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've made some very heroic rocks from drywall.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I didn't, I found it by a dumpster.

Yeah but that could be fiberglass mixed with cement? It didn't even occur to me until now and I'm gonna go throw it all away to be safe and pretend it never happened.

Fibreglass was my first thought tbh but better not to risk it imho

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Don't be a coward; definitely show up to a tournament with an army based on top of asbestos.

I just finished gluing together a Battlezone: Fronteris – Nachmund set. (What's up with the weird name anyway?) Now I just have to paint an enormous amount of plastic, and then I'll finally have some cover from bloody anti tank guns plinking my jetbikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Athas posted:

Don't be a coward; definitely show up to a tournament with an army based on top of asbestos.

I just finished gluing together a Battlezone: Fronteris – Nachmund set. (What's up with the weird name anyway?) Now I just have to paint an enormous amount of plastic, and then I'll finally have some cover from bloody anti tank guns plinking my jetbikes.

When the imperium split the Nachmund Gauntlet became basically one of the only highways through the great rift. It became pretty important.