Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lazy_Liberal posted:

regardless of the origins, a lot of jews in my community understand "from the river to the sea" as a call for dismantling the state of Israel. that's existentially frightening since so many of us live with the intergenerational trauma that we will be deported/genocided in the diaspora and require a "safe" place. i think a lot of folks discount how important it feels to have access to significant landmarks from the Torah as well since many of them were inaccessible to Jews for centuries.

that said, i think arguing over rhetoric is hot garbage and the focus needs to be on ending the slaughter of people immediately. it's so contrary to the idea of pikuach nefesh that it is pretty soul destroying to see this violence associated with Judaism in any way.

anyways I'm preaching to the choir and could ramble on for days about this. thanks goons

basically this

Thanks for this, it's a good reminder that rhetoric can mean different things to different people and within their own heads it's all going to be 100% valid. I have my doubts that Tlaib is calling for the livestreamed executions of everyone of Jewish ancestry or whatever the gently caress blithering nonsense is coming out of the Marjorie Taylor Greene's of the world while she votes to have someone else censured for an insurrection, but it's also not going to be interpreted charitably by someone that just had their family killed by Hamas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

ZombieApostate posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/2/from-the-river-to-the-sea-what-does-the-palestinian-slogan-really-mean

It IS an aspirational call to freedom for Palestinians, apparently. The idea that it is a call for the destruction of Israel is Israeli propaganda.

It's a call for the destruction of Israel as a Jewish ethnostate. How you feel about that depends on how you feel about the chances of Jewish Israelis living in a majority-ruled Palestinian state. Most Jewish Israelis would tell you "not great". After the events of October 7, considerably fewer Jewish Israelis believe living in a multi-ethnic state is possible.

A good breakdown of the debate on academia about this, from a historian who disagrees with the concept of Israel as "settler colonialist":

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/10/decolonization-narrative-dangerous-and-false/675799/
Paywall-free: https://archive.li/kc7nB

quote:

If the “settler-colonist” narrative is not true, it is true that the conflict is the result of the brutal rivalry and battle for land between two ethnic groups, both with rightful claims to live there. As more Jews moved to the region, the Palestinian Arabs, who had lived there for centuries and were the clear majority, felt threatened by these immigrants. The Palestinian claim to the land is not in doubt, nor is the authenticity of their history, nor their legitimate claim to their own state. But initially the Jewish migrants did not aspire to a state, merely to live and farm in the vague “homeland.” In 1918, the Zionist leader Chaim Weizmann met the Hashemite Prince Faisal Bin Hussein to discuss the Jews living under his rule as king of greater Syria. The conflict today was not inevitable. It became so as the communities refused to share and coexist, and then resorted to arms.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Hamas has put out a statement, they claim that over the 12 days since the beginning of the ground combat, they have destroyed 136 vehicles of the IDF.

They also just released more incredible footage just now. This is by far their most stunning footage they've released.

it includes

two tanks that are parked right next to each other literally touching each other getting blown up, and it seems like it caused a chain reaction because one of them might have blown the other one up.

a shot of them wiping out Israelis holed up on a school building room with a TBG thermo rpg

A triple diagonal kill where 3 guys knock out 3 tanks that literally had them surrounded from 2 sides.

they had two cameramen filming the same shot where there was what looks like two vehicles, an APC and a Merkava, with an IDF soldier standing on top of them they shot the KONKURS missile at it, then captured the total Vaporization of the tanks and the IDF trooped from close up cam and far away cam.

in all of those instances, except I think the Konkurs one, they were always between 100 feet away from their target. and almost always were safe enough afterwards to withdraw.

Also it started with a shot of a building operating as a front base for the IDF, surrounded by dozens of tanks, fortified by sand, only for the building to get vaporized by heavy mortar artillery. and their tank concentration getting shelled by heavy mortars.

psydude posted:

If there's one thing we learned from Russia's reaction to the first week of Urkaine's counteroffensive, disabled or even hit doesn't mean destroyed.

OK so I just watched the video. I'm going to assume you haven't watched a lot of combat footage or have a lot of exposure to how mortars, rockets, and modern armored vehicles work because none of this is as conclusive or severe as you describe.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Seeing large explosions have very little to do with if the thing you shot at is toast or not. Few targets are explosive, unlike munitions which are very often very explosive but are also going to explode when they miss or don't penetrate or don't achieve anything on the people at the dangerous end. Leaving the area is likewise something you should do irregardless of what you achieved or safe etc

Saqr, I say this friendly like, you can't be sure of what you're seeing.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
This war in particular has been a complete triumph of propaganda narrative over objective truth, on either side. I don't think we're going to have a truly accurate sense of what happened/is happening for years to come.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The thermobaric round doesn't even look like it worked. It hits the other side of the building and creates a big, theatrical mushroom cloud on the outside, but it looks like it didn't achieve much of an effect. But again, it's really impossible to tell from that distance without seeing inside.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
they're all being fired from close range because they have a ~200ft maximum range. hamas claims the range is a bit longer, like another 50-100ft, but idk how much evidence there is for that.

Lum_ posted:

This war in particular has been a complete triumph of propaganda narrative over objective truth, on either side. I don't think we're going to have a truly accurate sense of what happened/is happening for years to come.

idk about triumph, it's just that there's a lot of it more than anything. if anything this has been broadly the most clunky, low-effort poo poo i've ever seen on both sides, albeit hamas has way flashier editing. meanwhile you have Israel turning out milles collines radio tier stuff regularly, too. Speaking from the perspective of an American audience most of the effective pro-palestine stuff isn't hamas' propaganda, it's just the aftermath of Israeli attacks, or, hell, even Israel's own batshit insane statements. I'd also argue that Israel's efforts have been extremely clunky and often are exceptionally tone deaf. They have had a fair amount of success tapping into a bunch of latent (or otherwise) islamophobia. With that said, Israel's efforts do seem to have been way more effective internally. talking to Israelis over the last month has been wild.

on the other hand, maybe I'm being too negative about its effectiveness because it has clearly been very effective at convincing the small handful of people that they actually needed unconditional support from

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 8, 2023

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Lum_ posted:

It's a call for the destruction of Israel as a Jewish ethnostate. How you feel about that depends on how you feel about the chances of Jewish Israelis living in a majority-ruled Palestinian state. Most Jewish Israelis would tell you "not great". After the events of October 7, considerably fewer Jewish Israelis believe living in a multi-ethnic state is possible.

A good breakdown of the debate on academia about this, from a historian who disagrees with the concept of Israel as "settler colonialist":

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/10/decolonization-narrative-dangerous-and-false/675799/
Paywall-free: https://archive.li/kc7nB

What are your ideas on rhodesia. I'm sure white rhodesians enjoyed living an ethnostate as well.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

PookBear posted:

What are your ideas on rhodesia

ZANU wasn't literally genocidal towards white settlers in its charter, so your attempted "sick burn" misfired, sorry.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Lum_ posted:

ZANU wasn't literally genocidal towards white settlers in its charter, so your attempted "sick burn" misfired, sorry.

So to be clear, you are in favor of ethnostates?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

PookBear posted:

Not at all. I'm anti-genocide, which means I think both sides in this war have a lot of 'splaining to do. I also think demanding Israel disband itself and gently caress off to Europe is genocide/ethnic cleansing by another name.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PookBear posted:

That's some nice bad-faith posting right there.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
if only there was some possible end state to ths conflict that didn't involve the total annihilation of the other side. oh well, nothing for it, guess you got to pick a flag and kill everyone waving the other one.

If anything's radicalized me this war it's how the left has swiftly in less than a month moved from glee at Hamas' slaughter to outright denying it ever happened, 9/11 style. Roger Waters and Glenn Greenwald this week was a good example.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/roger-waters-false-flag-claim-hamas-attack-1234871588/

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Lum_ posted:

Not at all. I'm anti-genocide, which means I think both sides in this war have a lot of 'splaining to do. I also think demanding Israel disband itself and gently caress off to Europe is genocide/ethnic cleansing by another name.

what in the gently caress are you talking about. You're equating Israel no longer being an ethno state as being the same result as forcing them out of Israel. If Israel became a multi ethnic state tomorrow, the majority would still be jewish.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

PookBear posted:

what in the gently caress are you talking about. You're equating Israel no longer being an ethno state as being the same result as forcing them out of Israel. If Israel became a multi ethnic state tomorrow, the majority would still be jewish.

If the West Bank, Gaza and the Palestinian diaspora were included, no, there would no longer be a Jewish majority.

Also, part of the "dismantling the settler colonialist narrative" in the academic left does indeed include displacing Jewish "settlements" such as Tel Aviv and Haifa. Palestinian voices on the subject are far more explicit regarding their intentions. For example, it's illegal for Jews to own property in the PA-controlled West Bank. Most Palestinian groups are just as ethno-centric as the most Kahanist Israeli.

If you seriously want to know my opinion, it's that a multi-ethnic state is the platonic moral idea, and unattainable for generations thanks to the bad blood on every side, and a two-state solution with viable borders for both sides (as opposed to the apartheid land grab of the current government) is the only realistic moral option. I strongly suspect you don't care and are just trolling, though.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 8, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Gaza and West Bank don’t get voting rights exactly because they’d change the fundamental political landscape. It wouldn’t be enough for total rule, but it would be a huge swing in any case in the Knesset.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

Gaza and West Bank don’t get voting rights exactly because they’d change the fundamental political landscape. It wouldn’t be enough for total rule, but it would be a huge swing in any case in the Knesset.

Thus the apartheid implementation of forcing Palestinian "citizenship" in powerless cantons while Israeli settlers grab all the actual worthwhile land. Terming Israel an apartheid state is valid given they're precisely following the South African bantustan model.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Lum_ posted:

Thus the apartheid implementation of forcing Palestinian "citizenship" in powerless cantons while Israeli settlers grab all the actual worthwhile land. Terming Israel an apartheid state is valid given they're precisely following the South African bantustan model.

Yeah, and lol, ”Palestinian” ”citizenship” until it’s time for a passport and now Israel controls it again.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

PookBear posted:

I'd appreciate it if you made you arguments without trying to make slam dunks.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Lum_ posted:

if only there was some possible end state to ths conflict that didn't involve the total annihilation of the other side. oh well, nothing for it, guess you got to pick a flag and kill everyone waving the other one.

I am interested in this type of post - what IS possible do you think?

Using the Israeli army to provide initial security for massive refugee / healthcare / intake centers to process and get healthcare/resources to those in need.
A world-sponsored building program to rebuild gaza and provide high quality living conditions to a severely generationally traumatized group of people, to try to stem the violence
Demolish the border fences and use community policing and militias in separate / alternating areas to keep a lid on violence and reprisals

I realize this is pie in the sky stuff but how do we move forward? Full UN funding and turning Israel into a world heritage site with guaranteed rights and citizenship to all jews and palestinian diaspora?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Lum_ posted:

If anything's radicalized me this war it's how the left has swiftly in less than a month moved from glee at Hamas' slaughter to outright denying it ever happened, 9/11 style. Roger Waters and Glenn Greenwald this week was a good example.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/roger-waters-false-flag-claim-hamas-attack-1234871588/

Who on earth considers Glenn Greenwald and Roger waters "the left" in the year 2023.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lum_ posted:

If you seriously want to know my opinion, it's that a multi-ethnic state is the platonic moral idea, and unattainable for generations thanks to the bad blood on every side, and a two-state solution with viable borders for both sides (as opposed to the apartheid land grab of the current government) is the only realistic moral option. I strongly suspect you don't care and are just trolling, though.

I'm not sure two ethnostates with mirror image apartheid regimes is actually much of a moral victory, but it's moot point anyway because the people with political power in Israel have no interest in a real two state solution.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

kill me now posted:

Who on earth considers Glenn Greenwald and Roger waters "the left" in the year 2023.

C-SPAM lunatics.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I am interested in this type of post - what IS possible do you think?

Using the Israeli army to provide initial security for massive refugee / healthcare / intake centers to process and get healthcare/resources to those in need.
A world-sponsored building program to rebuild gaza and provide high quality living conditions to a severely generationally traumatized group of people, to try to stem the violence
Demolish the border fences and use community policing and militias in separate / alternating areas to keep a lid on violence and reprisals

I realize this is pie in the sky stuff but how do we move forward? Full UN funding and turning Israel into a world heritage site with guaranteed rights and citizenship to all jews and palestinian diaspora?

While it's different in a lot of ways, maybe something similar to the Northern Ireland peace process? The establishment of Gaza and the West Bank as a sovereign state (or something close to it), disarmament of militant groups on both sides, and the acknowledgement of the right to be Israeli or Palestinian and the right to live in each other's territories?

I mean we're a LONG way from that right now. But I'm also sure that nobody thought anything like the Good Friday agreement could work in the 1970s.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 8, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

psydude posted:

While it's different in a lot of ways, maybe something similar to the Northern Ireland peace process? The establishment of Gaza and the West Bank as a sovereign state (or something close to it), disarmament of militant groups on both sides, and the acknowledgement of the right to be Israeli or Palestinian and the right to live in each other's territories?

I mean we're a LONG way from that right now. But I'm also sure that nobody thought anything like the Good Friday agreement could work in the 1970s.

Yeah, something like this is the only way to resolve the conflict. Right now both sides are insisting on Total Unconditional Surrender which to put it mildly is unrealistic and ensures the war will continue for generations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Speaking of NI, the book "Say Nothing" is an excellent book about the Troubles and the subsequent process towards peace, but also the human effects, emotional scars, and how difficult it is to break out of a cycle of violence. It is very clear that nobody is "right" in that conflict. The IRA, the Loyalists, and the UK government all did atrocious and horrible acts. Both sides murdered innocents. One of the big themes of the book is that most of those people will never be punished for what they did, but there's exactly zero routes to peace that go through "all my enemies will be for their crimes and their acts". All you can do is agree to stop killing and to work towards something better.

On that note, it means any sort of "Northern Ireland Process" for I/P would inevitably mean some Hamas dudes end up going on with their lives, maybe even having government roles, just as Gerry Adams is still on Twitter being a fussy poo poo posting grandpa today.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
That's helpful to read, thanks for that

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Lum_ posted:

I strongly suspect you don't care and are just trolling, though.

Lum_ posted:

Lum_ posted:

If the West Bank, Gaza and the Palestinian diaspora were included, no, there would no longer be a Jewish majority.

You're using the Palestinian diaspora skewing the the ethnic make up of a multi ethnic state to justify the current status quo of Israel being an ethno state while ignoring the historic jewish diaspora, putting the words of Roger Waters and Glenn Greenwald into my mouth, and then try to say I'm trolling.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

PookBear posted:

putting the words of Roger Waters and Glenn Greenwald into my mouth, and then try to say I'm trolling.

Surprisingly, not every one of my posts is about you!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

PookBear posted:

You're using the Palestinian diaspora skewing the the ethnic make up of a multi ethnic state to justify the current status quo of Israel being an ethno state while ignoring the historic jewish diaspora.

The Palestinian right of return has been an issue in I/P negotiations for 50 years now. And unlike the Jewish diaspora, the majority of Palestinians are still refugees with limited to no rights whatsoever in their host countries. There is no solution the Palestinian side will agree to that does not take their fate into account, and justifiably so.

Regardless, demanding Israel cease being a Jewish state isn't dependent on polling numbers, most Jews in Israel see it as existential. They don't see living under Hamas rule as an option for some reason. Can you guess why?

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 8, 2023

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Lum_ posted:

Regardless, demanding Israel cease being a Jewish state isn't dependent on polling numbers, most Jews in Israel see it as existential. They don't see living under Hamas rule as an option for some reason. Can you guess why?

You are presenting a false narrative where the only alternative to an ethno state is Hamas being in charge, thus justifying the ethnostate in the first place.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PookBear posted:

You are presenting a false narrative where the only alternative to an ethno state is Hamas being in charge, thus justifying the ethnostate in the first place.

You're taking Lum's analysis of Israeli political sentiment as their own position on the issue, when it's been quite clearly stated that it's not.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Lum_ posted:

The Palestinian right of return has been an issue in I/P negotiations for 50 years now. And unlike the Jewish diaspora, the majority of Palestinians are still refugees with limited to no rights whatsoever in their host countries. There is no solution the Palestinian side will agree to that does not take their fate into account, and justifiably so.

Why would Hamas necessarily be in charge in a free, presumably multi-party democracy? Hell, as we've seen from a variety of sources, Hamas only has the power it does due to Israeli meddling.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

PookBear posted:

How 'bout you state the right answer instead of attacking the wrong ones for once

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Why would Hamas necessarily be in charge in a free, presumably multi-party democracy? Hell, as we've seen from a variety of sources, Hamas only has the power it does due to Israeli meddling.

Hamas wins elections when they happen. (They don’t happen that often.)

Which Palestinian faction do you expect would take power and protect Jews and other ethnic minorities under its rule?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Lum_ posted:

Which Palestinian faction do you expect would take power and protect Jews and other ethnic minorities under its rule?

I mean, the Jewish population would also have voting rights and could vote for their own parties, Fatah also still exists. So, yes, if Hamas had like a 50+% majority and could just do whatever they liked, they could banish all the Jewish citizens into the sea. And then there's the whole question of whether Hamas would still have any draw, as a party, if the fight for freedom and justice was won. At the moment I would wager the reason they have a strong draw on Palestinian people is because after decades of injustice, they are promising that they will bring justice, or at the very least, revenge.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

psydude posted:

You're taking Lum's analysis of Israeli political sentiment as their own position on the issue, when it's been quite clearly stated that it's not.

he's talking about how the only possible result to a fair election is the entire palestinian diaspora showing up, voting in hamas, and killing all the jews.

Lum_ posted:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PookBear posted:

he's talking about how the only possible result to a fair election is the entire palestinian diaspora showing up, voting in hamas, and killing all the jews.

A particularly ridiculous suggestion since it's not like all the leadership of the former IDF are going to poof out of existence if a One State Solution is implemented.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Lum_ posted:

I thought Hamas took control of Gaza from Fatah by force, and now all aid, or what there is, goes through them. They are in control through force, not because they are legitimately elected no? Not that there's been any chance at nurturing Palistinian democracy or doing any state building as Isreal would not allow it. So we really have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lum_ posted:

Hamas might do well initially (and indeed currently has a fair amount of support) but the complete overhaul of the powerstructure and the change in expectations and duties from opposing Israel to fully functioning as an effective part of a larger government + the general level of societal and political change that would rapidly happen in the event of an actual political integration of Palestinians into Israel would probably end up with Hamas either unrecognizable or out of power within a few years. it's such an unlikely outcome that it's almost impossible to even hypothesize how it would go. Groups with a struggle-based identity always end up heavily changed when that foundational struggle ends

PurpleXVI posted:

I think 'only' overstates it, but yeah certainly Hamas would not exist in its present form without that context