Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What even is the argument for a neutral site World Series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Diamondbacks are the last team without a ROTY winner...until Monday!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

That is a list of what every team in baseball wants in a trade return lol. You have no idea what the market for him or what the actual trade is going to look like.

Nobody knows anything beyond what we as fans see/hear. The Padres I think most people would agree are not that far away from being competitive, so logically it makes sense to assume they would want MLB ready talent if they were going to trade away a key MLB talent player. So when we are talking about possible trades for Soto we are talking about evaluating what both teams goals for 2024 might be and then what makes sense/benefits both sides.

Yankees don't have a lot of MLB ready talent they can trade away so now we are talking more about a prospect trade, which is possible but doesn't seem like it fits the Padres immediate plans assuming they will try to compete in 2024.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Anyone who thinks a neutral site WS is a good idea should be barred from baseball for life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Very well, Scott Boras is barred for life from baseball.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Very well, Scott Boras is barred for life from baseball.

Why is Boras even advocating for that? I get that he's always trying to get the most for his clients but who does that benefit?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

zoux posted:

I'm gonna take a scorching hot position that Shohei Ohtani has thrown his last MLB pitch.

It's probably more likely he'll be a reliever or a limited starter.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
bunch off people doubting Ohtani ITT, shameful

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If Clevinger and Taillon can come back and be decent starters, Ohtani can come back and be a a very good starter.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Poque posted:

batters also play during innings...

Do they? Batting stats are always listed in terms of ABs/PAs or games played. MLB's fielding stats are the only place they have innings and they list DHs as zero there. I guess I should send it in to Effectively Wild so they can really dig into the pedantry

Red
Apr 15, 2003

live with fruit posted:

1. Choosing a site with optimal weather for that time of year
2. Building up hotels/facilities/bullshit ahead of time for more festivities/events
3. Easier to plan for media/fans/etc.

I think it's dumb and if baseball wants teams in Chicago/Canada/Wisconsin/Michigan/New England, you loving deal with your choice to have the playoffs go into November

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Red posted:

It's probably more likely he'll be a reliever or a limited starter.

I think he could be a great mid-reliever, he's got enough pitch variety to get through the order more than once.

He's only going to accept being a starter, though. At least until his body forces him to stop.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

If Clevinger and Taillon can come back and be decent starters, Ohtani can come back and be a a very good starter.

It's not that he won't have the ability, it's that they won't let him do it. IMO

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

1. Choosing a site with optimal weather for that time of year
2. Building up hotels/facilities/bullshit ahead of time for more festivities/events

I think it's dumb and if baseball wants teams in Chicago/Canada/Wisconsin/Michigan/New England, you loving deal with your choice to have the playoffs go into November

None of those teams would struggle to sell out if they make the WS, even if it's 20 degrees out.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Red posted:

General fans, right? I'd assume that if they announce that the World Series is in Anaheim next year (choosing a city whose team definitely won't make it), everyone will gobble up tickets immediately and fans of the random team that came out of no where to make the World Series will have to pick through what's left.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

None of those teams would struggle to sell out if they make the WS, even if it's 20 degrees out.

No, not at all. Doesn't Cleveland get brutal in the winter?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zoux posted:

It's not that he won't have the ability, it's that they won't let him do it. IMO

If they're paying him $500 million, they're going to make him try.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

live with fruit posted:

General fans, right? I'd assume that if they announce that the World Series is in Anaheim next year (choosing a city whose team definitely won't make it), everyone will gobble up tickets immediately and fans of the random team that came out of no where to make the World Series will have to pick through what's left.

You'd have 50-60,000 Marlins Men at each game, and there'd be no noise.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

bunch off people doubting Ohtani ITT, shameful

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

If they're paying him $500 million, they're going to make him try.

He's going to get paid more, and that's exactly why they won't let him. Also after Strasburg, who's going to underwrite that contract if he's pitching and hitting?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zoux posted:

He's going to get paid more, and that's exactly why they won't let him. Also after Strasburg, who's going to underwrite that contract if he's pitching and hitting?

Doesn't Strasburg have nerve damage? That seems like a worst case scenario that Ohtani has no signs of being at risk of.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

You don’t give him $500M if you think he’s thrown his last pitch

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

I actually don't feel as bad about this as it looks on the surface, having a team full of .230 hitters really worked out well. The ability to hit for average has been devalued and I actually think it should be emphasized more now than ever due to the fact that everyone strikes out like crazy.

RBIs are very good and important and I want every player in the lineup to want as many of them as possible! It's insane that this argument gets rehashed every time a player makes the incredibly reasonable and correct statement that they care about RBI!

The problem is if an FO thinks it's a qualitative stat when evaluating a player, it's not at all a problem if a player wants to bat in more runs!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How many times have we seen a player traded and thought "wtf how could nobody beat that offer?"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I just had the most deranged baseball thought of my life: Brewers manager Joe Maddon.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

I just had the most deranged baseball thought of my life: Brewers manager Joe Maddon.

That guy hates analytical GMs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Play every WS at Coors

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

live with fruit posted:

:homebrew:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

That guy hates analytical GMs.

Joe Maddon to the Yankees it is!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

For whom? The teams that make the World Series make a ton of money off of it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

only play a neutral site world series if the Phillies are in it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

The entire point of a neutral site world super bowl is to create a neutral environment due to weather (plus party time money and all NFL stadiums are the same)

Imagine a Yankees Dodgers world series in Miami lol

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I don't really see the Cubs going for a 1 year Soto rental. They're already pretty set in the outfield, I suppose there is a gap in CF if PCA isn't making the team out of Spring Training but Soto doesn't really help there.

I know a certain free agent who would be very good in CF or 1B if PCA or Mervis aren't making the team out of spring training.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The entire point of a neutral site world super bowl is to create a neutral environment due to weather (plus party time money and all NFL stadiums are the same)

Weather sure but isn't there also a pretty big home field advantage for a single NFL game too? More so than in baseball.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Weather sure but isn't there also a pretty big home field advantage for a single NFL game too? More so than in baseball.

Ya that too.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Whoever signs Bellinger should also sign Snell so they can corner the market on guys who really seem like pot heads.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

live with fruit posted:

For whom? The teams that make the World Series make a ton of money off of it.

No one knows until a few days before the World Series begins which two teams are going to be in it, so no one cares about how much money those two teams will make. The owners' interest is in simply maximizing the amount of money made off the enterprise. More money will be made overall if the games are in L.A. or Houston or Miami than if they're in Tampa or Baltimore or Minneapolis or whatever. Besides the obvious point that the league office can use World Series hosting as an incentive or bribe to suit their purposes.

Besides that, money comes mostly from the TV networks, and a neutral site World Series is desirable for them.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 8, 2023

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

This would just be 7 Yankees home games. There are more Yankee fans in Florida than Marlins fans.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Whoever signs Bellinger should also sign Snell so they can corner the market on guys who really seem like pot heads.
Snell gives off more of an uppers vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Phillies home crowd is just too much of an advantage. They're unbeatable at home!