Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Hwurmp posted:

Rockstar celebrating their contributions to gaming culture is like Pilate celebrating his contributions to Christianity

There's so many ways to take this and I love them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

MDickie has such sights to show you.

(Maybe not a real recommendation? You should at least try and see if your brain is broken right.)

E link https://store.steampowered.com/app/1620340/Wrestling_Empire/

Wrestling Empire is unironically good. If you like wrestling you will get a kick out of all of the legally distinct replacements for popular wrestlers. The graphics are rear end but there's enough customization to have fun making your own dude and watching their story dynamically unfold depending on the random poo poo that happens during their career. You will naturally make friends and enemies, other wrestlers will cheat the system against you and in your favor resulting in drama. Sometimes management will gently caress with you and force changes to your character's gimmick or moves unless you negotiate a contract saying that they can't.

It's the only wrestling game with an "open world" that allows you to injure someone in the ring, then find them in the "hospital" and beat them more. People can get so injured that they die then you can start a fight at the funeral or just show up to pay respects. You can manually do your own stat training in the gym and recover your stamina with food, but if you over do it you risk pissing or making GBS threads yourself in the ring.

It's goofy as hell and it's a lot of fun. There's also a booking game mode if you prefer setting up matches and watching the AI go at it. I haven't tried it so I can't elaborate but I assume it gives you some objectives to fulfill to please different audiences.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kennel posted:

Like That Dragon, Cancer

Lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh dang, Risk of Rain Returns came out just now

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kennel posted:

Like That Dragon, Cancer

...lol

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Wow, didn't know this was coming out.

Maybe I finally need to pull the trigger on a Steam Deck and replace my Vita lol.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

RBA Starblade posted:

Fuckin A, got a six hour flight tonight and I never played the original (or 2!)

EDIT RISK OF RAIN IS TEN YEARS OLD??????

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 8, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've never played risk of rain 1. I'm convinced its secretly bad and am looking forward to finding out if I'm right.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

No Wave posted:

I've never played risk of rain 1. I'm convinced its secretly bad and am looking forward to finding out if I'm right.
I'll offer that I didn't get it my first try, but for some reason I stuck with it and got obsessed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

No Wave posted:

2 I find kind of chill even though I die a lot, but 1 just kind of makes me stressed out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

No Wave posted:

it's good if you're winning
it's a hard coop game where the experience of any player dying in the coop mode absolutely sucks rear end

e: also a bunch of characters have abilities or basic attacks that are completely useless past the first few stages because they require standing still or getting into melee range.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 8, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

It's the superior game of the RoR franchise. :colbert:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

mystes posted:

2 I find kind of chill even though I die a lot, but 1 just kind of makes me stressed out.

:same:

Though to be honest I've always had a weird love-hate thing with both games. Their vibe is spectacular but some of their design decisions just don't work for me at all.

Big reason I'm excited for the remake of 1 is that they're adding in a bunch of new poo poo and presumably cleaning up a lot of the clunky old poo poo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

FishMcCool posted:

It's the superior game of the RoR franchise. :colbert:
My expectation is I've played too much of this genre and I'll be hyper aware that the game is entirely about rushing objectives and staying above the power curve and the quality of your gameplay mattering after the first ten minutes is mostly an illusion. But I dont have the right to write that many words without playing it.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

As a fool who has been playing MDickie's Old School I have to recommend everyone who plays one of his games to try the first person camera mode once. It's beyond insane to try and process what's going on, especially if you fight some people.

Edit: Also every single day I greet my rival by jumping off a desk and giving him a stunner which makes me cackle every loving time

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 8, 2023

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
man, a day later and I'm still so bummed about the Revenant Hill news. Haven't had a game cancellation punch me in the gut like that for a long time, if not ever

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

You can finally pretend you've never come into contact with Bad Rats.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Finally a method to stop people asking to be my friend because I own Valve games.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: also a bunch of characters have abilities or basic attacks that are completely useless past the first few stages because they require standing still or getting into melee range.
It's been a while, but I don't remember melee being a problem at all. Far from completely useless at least. Maybe required finding more specifically helpful items.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Blattdorf posted:

You can finally pretend you've never come into contact with Bad Rats.
Why would you do that when you could join the Bad Rats King Klub?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

My expectation is I've played too much of this genre and I'll be hyper aware that the game is entirely about rushing objectives and staying above the power curve and the quality of your gameplay mattering after the first ten minutes is mostly an illusion. But I dont have the right to write that many words without playing it.

True enough, though it's still easy enough to get overwhelmed and dunked quickly from inattention for a good while before you hit the vampire survivors kind of power. But what elevates RoR above the rest of the genre imho is the whole mood it generates from the tiny character facing hordes and giants, and the soundtrack which absolutely slaps. In fact, it's one of the few albums I ever bought on Bandcamp because I like it that much and felt like the author deserved some extra. He did the soundtrack for RoR2 and you can feel the similarity but it's not quite there, although I couldn't exactly tell why.

And well, half the fun afterwards is to just break balance by playing with Command+Glass and make stupid item stacks just because you can. Or just break the game because you stacked too many fireworks and you use the golden key on that treasure room in the final stage.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I was about to say, the remake is beautiful. Love the tiny pixel guy on a huge screen, gives enemies a great sense of scale

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FishMcCool posted:

True enough, though it's still easy enough to get overwhelmed and dunked quickly from inattention for a good while before you hit the vampire survivors kind of power. But what elevates RoR above the rest of the genre imho is the whole mood it generates from the tiny character facing hordes and giants, and the soundtrack which absolutely slaps. In fact, it's one of the few albums I ever bought on Bandcamp because I like it that much and felt like the author deserved some extra. He did the soundtrack for RoR2 and you can feel the similarity but it's not quite there, although I couldn't exactly tell why.

And well, half the fun afterwards is to just break balance by playing with Command+Glass and make stupid item stacks just because you can. Or just break the game because you stacked too many fireworks and you use the golden key on that treasure room in the final stage.

Yeah, the sequel's music was fine, but it didn't have anything nearly as good as the final stage theme from the first game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysPtBjY8o_A

Excited to play the remake, the original was a great game but really was rough around the edges.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Sokani posted:

Somebody play 100 hours of Cobalt Core and let me know if it's good.

Only a couple of hours in but it's very good. It does the Hades thing where you'll unlock new dialogue run after run even if you fail, so getting a relic from a boss for a character who already got it last run will actually further develop some of the mysteries of the story. The gameplay is also very fun moment to moment since characters react to what's going on and even have specific lines for specific cards.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of ROR, the sequel just got a new expansion pack announced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLrpnBe1NDc
Now it is notable that this isn't being developed by the original team, it's in Gearbox's hands now which...yeah.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q7O49jc8ho

Snagged Gunhead today, played the demo last month and it felt really good. The movement system is nice and fast. $15 not bad for what seems like a decently made FPS Roguelite kinda thing. Voice acting isn't great but that's my only complaint.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

They also announced what seems to be a mobile RoR gacha game lol

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

It's been a while, but I don't remember melee being a problem at all. Far from completely useless at least. Maybe required finding more specifically helpful items.
Depends on the character. Just off the top of my head, the Acrid's primary claw swipe is borderline useless because he's got no means of evading damage when in melee range so you mostly run around spamming his secondary and special.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Barry Convex posted:

man, a day later and I'm still so bummed about the Revenant Hill news. Haven't had a game cancellation punch me in the gut like that for a long time, if not ever

Aw mate. It's such a shame though, especially given the health issues underlying it all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Going to be awesome watching them chase down, one broken marriage at a time, all the places that the info still leaks out. Whack those moles, Valve.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

anilEhilated posted:

Depends on the character. Just off the top of my head, the Acrid's primary claw swipe is borderline useless because he's got no means of evading damage when in melee range so you mostly run around spamming his secondary and special.

also the riot cop guy's "character-defining" ability which lets him put up a shield and transforms his normal attack in exchange for slow movement and no jumping is just unusable considering later in a cycle special enemies are constantly shooting those homing missiles that bypass the shield and can only be avoided by moving

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

also the riot cop guy's "character-defining" ability which lets him put up a shield and transforms his normal attack in exchange for slow movement and no jumping is just unusable considering later in a cycle special enemies are constantly shooting those homing missiles that bypass the shield and can only be avoided by moving
I feel like he's a character that could only work when playing multiplayer. There were a handful of others that felt similar that seemed cool on paper but could never play them solo.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you like weird old Japanese wargames similar to Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn? Do you like indie devs?

TIL that Lost Technology is fully translated (it released with only a few routes translated six years ago) and it's 5$ on steam as the default price:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/420520/Lost_Technology/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_8faiHRNIo

Unironically the best campaign of this I played was the one where you go Empire... and lose. Then you become a wandering mercenary group. Teaming up with... the noble knight faction led to tense battles where you try to snatch victory from defeat with your little squad. Followed by trying to win the campaign for them as you are allowed to control armies if the faction lead isn't present.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sab669 posted:

Voice acting isn't great but that's my only complaint.

i believe it features jerma.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Azran posted:

Only a couple of hours in but it's very good. It does the Hades thing where you'll unlock new dialogue run after run even if you fail, so getting a relic from a boss for a character who already got it last run will actually further develop some of the mysteries of the story. The gameplay is also very fun moment to moment since characters react to what's going on and even have specific lines for specific cards.

It's on the easier side of roguelikes, I beat the very first run which I've never done in a roguelike before. Looking at the unlocks there's definitely a bit of meat to the game, though judging by the number of stuff it's not going to be a 100+ hour roguelike

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you like weird old Japanese wargames similar to Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn? Do you like indie devs?

TIL that Lost Technology is fully translated (it released with only a few routes translated six years ago) and it's 5$ on steam as the default price:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/420520/Lost_Technology/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_8faiHRNIo

Wishlisted. Reminds me of Chaos Galaxy 2, which at least at first glance looks like this but in space. I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of these games floating around via small indie projects now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

tip to toe that's a jerma

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Having watched a bit of it streamed, they definitely cleaned up a bunch of stuff in RoRR.

Easily the biggest one is that exiting a level now only requires waiting out the portal timer and killing the boss. No more needing to tediously kill every last remaining enemy.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cobalt Core is just as great as I was hoping. Like Lakbay I won my first run, but in fairness the first run is always on the lowest difficulty and I played a ton of the demo. I even went with a build I'd had success with before: a ton of movement + strafe, a buff that fires a shot every time I move. Then near the end I got an event that gave me 4 more copies of strafe and I was killing enemies by just dancing underneath them :shepface:

Also holy poo poo the soundtrack is good. I already loved the music in the demo and then it turns out the best tracks were yet to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlMLOZcKeEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHmgt7UUa14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Huh I could have sworn it already worked like that 10 years ago, which I guess is a good quality for a remake to have.