Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'd watch it if it was just ms marvel, I've never enjoyed carol in the comics and her movie version is just...there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I don't mind Carol's smugness because she's right to be full of herself. She's got the skills to back it up and doesn't let anyone bring her down (even when they're using an implant to do just that). And she certainly seems friendly enough when she interacts with others in the previous movies.

My hopes here, though, is that Carol is kinda frustrated that she's chained to these two "weaker" heroes that are handicapping her, and she needs to learn how to lift them up and be part of a team instead of the captain that can tear down entire alien fleets on her own. Any chance this movie gives us that?

Also, with the post-credits thing. If they're now making Beast into CGI, is it attempting to copy his original look from the earlier movies, or do we get Kitty Beast or something else going on?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Saw it at a press screening to day, very much enjoyed it. It's obviously heavily cut down, but it sails on the charm of the main cast.

It has actually good comedy rather than the old "did this happen" half-joke improvs from a lot of the MCU.
Great fight scenes that are actually well shot and edited.

But there's stuff in here that a certain segment of the audience (older male youtubers if I'm making a mean generalization) will HATE and they'll
say that Marvel lost the plot because of it, but it's merely a movie version of comic book goofiness.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Also, with the post-credits thing. If they're now making Beast into CGI, is it attempting to copy his original look from the earlier movies, or do we get Kitty Beast or something else going on?

They are making him look exactly like the animated series Beast, with a whiter-than white labcoat and lil fangs.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

JordanKai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcUO1OHg0gU

Short TV spot for The Marvels in which the "X" in "Comes next?" fades out more slowly than the rest of the phrase.

:thunk:

Can't really decide which comes off as more desperate: teasing the mid-credits scene here, or Quantumania's "Witness the rise of a new dynasty" tagline referencing the title of an Avengers movie that was still several years away from release. Neither exactly exudes confidence in the ability of the film to stand on its own terms.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
"Watch this so you can watch more Marvel movies" is not great, but a fun superspace action movie sounds pretty cool.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

To be fair they did the same with MoM if my memory is working correctly (and it often does not).

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

howe_sam posted:

Rotten tomatoes is a terrible gauge of even critical consensus of a movie.

I think it's fine if you think about it in the right way.

The percentage is not "how good is this movie?" Great movies can get low percentages, while just average movies can get into the high 90s and beyond.

Instead, think of the percentage as "What are the odds I'll enjoy this movie?" Not that you'll think it was the best thing you've ever seen, but just that you'll enjoy it enough that you won't think you've wasted your time.

With that in mind, I find the Rotten Tomatoes score is typically pretty accurate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dave posted:

To be fair they did the same with MoM if my memory is working correctly (and it often does not).

They've done it approximately 27 times.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Can't really decide which comes off as more desperate: teasing the mid-credits scene here, or Quantumania's "Witness the rise of a new dynasty" tagline referencing the title of an Avengers movie that was still several years away from release. Neither exactly exudes confidence in the ability of the film to stand on its own terms.

constantly being told I need to "witness" and "experience" steps in a prolonged branding exercise as though they were religious events is really starting to make me want to become a cave hermit with no electricity

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

StumblyWumbly posted:

"Watch this so you can watch more Marvel movies" is not great, but a fun superspace action movie sounds pretty cool.

this is why i stopped watching after iron man 1

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

The difference is people like the X-Men and no one who didn't watch Loki had any idea who Kang was.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Opopanax posted:

I feel like we've decided this counts for the thread
New Ghostbusters trailer

What's the over-under on Bill Murray scenes

I'm thinking 2.5

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Going to have to grab a red flight suit now.

That's a winter parka, not a flight suit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

New Ghostbusters movie helping out everyone who dresses up for Halloween in cold climates.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Baller Ina posted:

I'm thinking 2.5

Absolutely shocking he's there at all

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That's what I get for watching on my phone, but that's even better. I'll totally rock a Ghostbusters parka during the Michigan winter.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
marvel movie bad

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Baller Ina posted:

I'm thinking 2.5

Surprised he's standing in most of his scenes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Surprised he's standing in most of his scenes.

Aykroyd has him at gunpoint just off screen

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

At the Marvels. The theater is completely empty about five minutes before showtime. Not great but also... kinda great???

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it means you can hoot and holler and yell at the screen

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

At the Marvels. The theater is completely empty about five minutes before showtime. Not great but also... kinda great???

Assuming American-ish timezones (I actually have no idea) it's mid-afternoon on a Thursday. I'm not sure I've ever been in one of those that was even a little full.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Is a theater ever packed at 1 pm on a Thursday?

Get a job, hippie!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
posting this because i wonder how gunn is feeling a year into being head of dc when he's seeing movies he co-wrote starring his friend cena get shelved

https://x.com/Variety/status/1722729869677645915?s=20

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

site posted:

posting this because i wonder how gunn is feeling a year into being head of dc when he's seeing movies he co-wrote starring his friend cena get shelved

It makes sense given the new leadership's decree that they aren't going to release any more high-budget streaming only movies.

$80 million for an HBOMax-exclusive Wile E. Coyote movie might have made sense in 2020 when it was greenlit, but is it going to generate even 1% of its cost in new HBOMax subscribers to see it?

I'm kinda sad, because it sounds like a bonkers concept (live-action/CGI hybrid movie about Wile E. Coyote in a Who Framed Roger Rabbit type movie written by James Gunn) that would have been an interesting watch even if it was terrible.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 10, 2023

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Managed to find the energy to go to the Marvel's. There were only 2 other seats purchased when I got my ticket half an hour ago!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

site posted:

Why would you even try with WB at this point. They have consistently spit in their creative’s faces for a few years now

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If Gunn wrote the thing and doesn't have to pull to get it released it doesn't really bode well for the future

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I keep hearing people say that movie is apparently amazing, too. I hate this

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

WB slapping 100 year logos on every release seems like it almost might be celebrating their last year in existence.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Marvels, it was fun! I liked it! Kamala Khan in everything!

And the scene of the flerken kitties eating all the Saber personnel to rescue them was one of the most demented and funny things I've seen in a long while.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah The Marvels is really good. It's a fun romp and all the characters get their moment to shine. Kamala is the star of course but I thought Monica was great as well.

Don't be put off by the bad marketing. It's really in the spirit of the Guardians films.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Disney just shuffled more MCU film release dates. Cap 4 and Thunderbolts have now been entirely pushed out of 2024 into 2025. That leaves Deadpool 3 as the lone 2024 MCU film release as of now.

https://www.ign.com/articles/deadpool-3-will-be-2024s-only-mcu-movie-following-disney-release-date-shuffle

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am fine with this

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Important casting news

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

site posted:

Bummer. I thought of this movie just this morning and wondered what was up with it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It makes sense given the new leadership's decree that they aren't going to release any more high-budget streaming only movies.

$80 million for an HBOMax-exclusive Wile E. Coyote movie might have made sense in 2020 when it was greenlit, but is it going to generate even 1% of its cost in new HBOMax subscribers to see it?

I'm kinda sad, because it sounds like a bonkers concept (live-action/CGI hybrid movie about Wile E. Coyote in a Who Framed Roger Rabbit type movie written by James Gunn) that would have been an interesting watch even if it was terrible.

They can just release it into theaters though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I am fine with this

:same:

Though frankly I wish DC would be the ones to do this instead. They need a gap year to shake off the last nasty vestiges of the DCEU before we jump into the Gunn-verse or whatever people are gonna call it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aphrodite posted:

They can just release it into theaters though.

Bet there was some sort of thing in the contract where it said "We're only going to pay you X amount because it's going to straight to streaming". If it got released in theaters it'd be considered a breach.