Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Pud Galvin in shambles

He was on that monkey andro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ohtani doesn't want to be hated for his whole career. He's not going to Houston.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1722362584928850224

Hmm

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I will open mouth kiss Jed Hoyer if he lands Ohtani.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Players love playing for him.

Do it Arte. Do it now. Open the wallet. Turn it upside down and shake it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Ohtani doesn't want to be hated for his whole career. He's not going to Houston.

You really can't help yourself can you.

It's even clouded your judgment so badly that you thought CJ Stroud would be a Zach Wilson level player.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gross

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Should I notice the lack of a blue checkmark there

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

You'd think the Angels would have learned something from the whole Mickey Callaway thing but Arte Moreno

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Should I notice the lack of a blue checkmark there

That means they are probably more trustworthy

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Now Ohtani really needs to leave Anaheim to keep the female Japanese reporters away from Washington.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ron Washington is managing a team again. That's just the way baseball go.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel bad that Ron is going to have to deal with Arte’s bullshit

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ron Washington is so old that he's 2 years older than known old guy Joe Maddon

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I suppose its just a thing that there are only 30 something people on the planet capable of managing the 30 MLB teams. Sure would be nice if there was something besides [white career backup catcher that has never coached/managed at any level] and retreads.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Billy: Managing, it’s not that hard, tell ‘em Wash

Wash: Its incredibly hard

Gonna miss Wash, super good dude. Players will of course love him, curious to see how he does as a manager again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1722260624145833997

lol I missed this. Cashman is just SOOOOOO on the defense and angry and defiant that it's incredible.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Good Dog posted:

I suppose its just a thing that there are only 30 something people on the planet capable of managing the 30 MLB teams. Sure would be nice if there was something besides [white career backup catcher that has never coached/managed at any level] and retreads.

This is a weird reaction to Ron Washington being hired.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1722260624145833997

lol I missed this. Cashman is just SOOOOOO on the defense and angry and defiant that it's incredible.
I follow prospects and I have no idea who he's even talking about. Is Cash just that Not Mad?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Just seen alot of discourse on twitter debating between a player that has never managed/coached (ie Torii Hunter's name getting thrown around or Vogt just getting hired) vs a known commodity. Not that Wash isn't a good dude or anything, and I prefer him to someone like Nevin but it doesn't inspire me at all. I'd rather someone with some experience getting their first shot at managing, especially if the Angels aren't going to be competitive anyways.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I follow prospects and I have no idea who he's even talking about. Is Cash just that Not Mad?

It's the guy who went on the Foul Territory podcast talking about how bad the player instruction is in their farm system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V__4ABH7XXM

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ruta is some no name prospect who started this whole thing by going on a podcast and trashing the Yankee system. It started a whole fan/media narrative and is what led to all this defensive nothing nonsense they’re saying. They’re lashing out at the noise, clearly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Ruta is some no name prospect who started this whole thing by going on a podcast and trashing the Yankee system. It started a whole fan/media narrative and is what led to all this defensive nothing nonsense they’re saying. They’re lashing out at the noise, clearly.

He's clearly speaking for many players inside the system and likely other people inside the team as well. It's just the general arrogance with which they operate and the complete lack of actual results to base that arrogance on and cashman just made that more obvious by how he acted yesterday.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I neither know if Ben Ruta is the voice of the silent majority or a bitter boy. I don’t know poo poo about him or the inner workings of the Yankee development system. I was simply identifying that Ruta is the guy who started the entire conversation about the Yankees being “too analytical” with vague first hand claims as opposed to some kind of deep dive analysis. So Cashman’s just lashing out at the same thing.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Cashman is coming unhinged like someone who is actually on the hot seat lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Cashman is coming unhinged like someone who is actually on the hot seat lmao
That’s what it feels like

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cashman, Hal, and the Yankees ARE on the hotseat from the media and fanbase. It’s not their jobs in immediate danger, just the whole narrative and vibe. And they clearly are getting frustrated at not being able to change the discussion and probably not satisfying anyone with their moves. They can probably see the same thing we can see here that even if they make a big splash signing Yamamoto and Bellinger it’s gonna be received from the media and fanbase as a pale substitute for some massive hypothetical transformative solution be that Ohtani or Soto or cleaning house or whatever else people are talking about away from the Yankees organization.

I certainly don’t think bending to the pressure of NY media and the fanbase and lashing out is the right move. It just gives people more ammo. But it also probably doesn’t change or mean anything except confirmation that the Yankees hear the noise.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cashman has been in New York what 30 years now? And Hal is also old. They should both know that talk is cheap and their words will do less than nothing to calm the NY media.

If they don’t like the complaints, then they gotta win. That’s it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Good Dog posted:

Just seen alot of discourse on twitter debating between a player that has never managed/coached (ie Torii Hunter's name getting thrown around or Vogt just getting hired) vs a known commodity. Not that Wash isn't a good dude or anything, and I prefer him to someone like Nevin but it doesn't inspire me at all. I'd rather someone with some experience getting their first shot at managing, especially if the Angels aren't going to be competitive anyways.

The irony is that Minasian basically said he sees Washington as their Bochy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
And not just win but win the World Series. Which if you reach the playoffs proper you have about a 1-in-8 chance of doing because the playoffs are mostly random.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bawfuls posted:

Cashman has been in New York what 30 years now? And Hal is also old. They should both know that talk is cheap and their words will do less than nothing to calm the NY media.

If they don’t like the complaints, then they gotta win. That’s it.

No doubt. But I think it’s evidence of how toxic the conversation has gotten and how aware they are that nothing short of Ohtani, Soto, and trophy #28 is gonna change it. So they shook.

It’s not helpful but also boy oh boy do I get how all encompassing the NY noise is.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Cashman's interview reminded me of another famous New Yorker who is a big rear end in a top hat and loves to get belligerent on the record.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

Billy: Managing, it’s not that hard, tell ‘em Wash

Wash: Its incredibly hard

Gonna miss Wash, super good dude. Players will of course love him, curious to see how he does as a manager again.

Good Dog posted:

He's not a good dude. He left the Rangers cause he was accused of sexual assault by a reporter.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/CubsZone/status/1722396774113910888

Belli…..

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I neither know if Ben Ruta is the voice of the silent majority or a bitter boy. I don’t know poo poo about him or the inner workings of the Yankee development system. I was simply identifying that Ruta is the guy who started the entire conversation about the Yankees being “too analytical” with vague first hand claims as opposed to some kind of deep dive analysis. So Cashman’s just lashing out at the same thing.

You're not accurately describing the situation here. The perception that the Yankees are too analytical has been around for years. It's nothing new and I think it's mostly bullshit. Every team is analytical. The Ruta interview was about how the Yankees are doing instruction in the minors. Focusing on launch angle and exit velo exclusively, not teaching basics of how to actually play baseball better or any kind of situational awareness. You see it with the major league team just glaringly obviously and it's just a fact that their position players just don't get any better.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 9, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Welp fully on the Ohtani train now

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Morel's best position is probably 2B but he's hopelessly blocked their by Nico, and while he could probably stick it in corner OF he's also blocked there by Ian and Suzuki. So his options are 3B where he's very bad, 1B where he's less bad clearly miscast, CF where he's very bad and PCA is rapidly rising to bump him off the spot, or DH which feels silly to have to waste on an athletic early-20's guy. Cubs seemed to want to try and remedy this by making him a utility guy but he just doesn't have the defensive ability to pull that off.

idk I really like Morel and want him to continue to hit dingers for the Cubs but he really feels like a guy who gets sold high on this offseason to a team that can play him at 2B/LF/RF.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/stephapstein/status/1722385938683424902

GM meetings spewing more poo poo than usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

As a known Ross hater, even I'm impressed at the swift and unexpected knife Jed jammed in his back on this one. Not exactly shedding tears, but that's ruthless.

I mean, this is literally a repeat of what happened in 2014, so it isn't Jed's first rodeo. Rick Renteria was told his job was safe, Maddon unexpectedly hit the market, and Theo and Jed said, "Hit the bricks, Ricky."

In 2023, David Ross was told his job was safe, Counsell hit the market, and Jed and Carter said, "See you later, grandpa."

That sounds like a norovirus outbreak at the hotel they're at.

Norovirus is hell.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 9, 2023