Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Arson Daily posted:

Isn't unpredictable and random the same thing essentially? Or am I being dumb

That is was what I was sorta agreeing with, in my parenthetical. But whether the U in USP is really accurate nomenclature, the secret triggers definitely exist. Common speculation is that that one of them is using KCM at the same airport twice in too short of a time period, is one.

dupersaurus posted:

You can’t use randomness as a cover for over-investigating brown suspicious people

It just pops up a notification on their laptop, when you scan in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Two Kings posted:

Good news FedEx pilots! You are getting a wonderful preferred interview opportunity at…

PSA Airlines?

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1720562315701973252?t=SaTiv5js6qIZFO_Eq2tGdQ&s=19

I, uh... that may be the weirdest thing I can remember seeing in aviation.

All that effort to get to Purple only to wind up at Blue Streak?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 4, 2023

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
I remember the days when FedEx used to have a spot on their application to log your Space Shuttle piloting time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Two Kings posted:

I remember the days when FedEx used to have a spot on their application to log your Space Shuttle piloting time.

You only need one astronaut to apply to need to put that in!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

My airline didn't have that line and it was very distressing!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love applications that make you fill every hour of every type you’ve flown cause I have an hour in a B17.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Rolo posted:

I love applications that make you fill every hour of every type you’ve flown cause I have an hour in a B17.

that owns.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Two Kings posted:

So how does that work? Do you log the whole week the shuttle is on orbit? Or do you log only the times you maneuver, rest of the time gravity is doing all the work.

Similarly with airliners, do you log the time you are sleeping in the berth?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Saukkis posted:

So how does that work? Do you log the whole week the shuttle is on orbit? Or do you log only the times you maneuver, rest of the time gravity is doing all the work.

all of it, as glider hours

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I assume you need a self launch endorsement to fly the shuttle?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saukkis posted:

ADHD means I can’t fly a plane but I can acquire stupid trivia:
https://www.quora.com/Is-time-spent...n-the-way-there

There is, or perhaps was because I can’t find it now, a public FAA determination (maybe a NASA document?) that had the rules. The ascent is logged as rocket time and all time on orbit and descent as glider.

If you’re wondering if that means ISS astronauts have 4000+ hour single log entries the answer is yes they can claim that. Apparently Jim Voss would tell this story while teaching at Auburn and later Colorado: https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/s/3k4X98v9hz

Continuing with that trivia… there don’t appear to actually be all that many interesting positions for astronauts if they are not selected as main or backup for a mission. Because NASA kept having to pull back plans for more missions for various reasons, there are a fair number of space shuttle commanders and pilots that took their military retirement and did something else. Some became faculty, some did other business stuff, some became test pilots and some did decide they just wanted to just fly an airliner for the next couple decades.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 4, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

IIRC because all space shuttle commanders/pilots were active military they didn’t bother with that stuff.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

e.pilot posted:

Except for the Enterprise

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

vessbot posted:

Except for the Enterprise

Is that because it's a long road getting from there to here?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rolo posted:

I have 0.2 in a Ford Tri-Motor and never getting to put that on a resume is one of my few regrets about not following through with a flying career.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I told the instructor I've started working with to get current that I have a half hour in a Beech 18 and she just kinda cocked her head and moved on. I don't think she has any idea what a Beech 18 is.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Your turn, Brown. Back to the Barbie Jet:
https://twitter.com/PilotLiberator/status/1722164495961694708

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
TSA still sucks. My KCM badge somehow mis-scanned today and he starts grilling me on why “my last name doesn’t match my badge” so I look at my passport and badge, ask what he means and he jumps down my throat with “what’re you trying to do man why is your name different on my screen? What did you do?”

He scanned it again and it worked the second time but he decided not to let me in anyways. Total rear end in a top hat acting like he pulled me over then getting pissy when he finds out I didn’t do anything wrong. Laaaaaame.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The TSA has an institutional case of "small man syndrome", and they loving hate flight crews.

My KCM is currently suspended, since the TSA is investigating a highly dangerous butter knife that was in my lunch bag, so I returned the favor by filing a formal complaint accusing the TSA supervisor in question of "Suffering from significant cognitive, vision, and short term memory issues, or being partially illiterate", since the dumb bastard couldn't remember anything I told him, and seemingly couldn't understand any writing on my ID during the process.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So you’re the reason why I keep getting emails about butterknives through my company? Where’s that meme of the guy spreading cream cheese on a bagel with the crash ax?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

TSA still sucks. My KCM badge somehow mis-scanned today and he starts grilling me on why “my last name doesn’t match my badge” so I look at my passport and badge, ask what he means and he jumps down my throat with “what’re you trying to do man why is your name different on my screen? What did you do?”

He scanned it again and it worked the second time but he decided not to let me in anyways. Total rear end in a top hat acting like he pulled me over then getting pissy when he finds out I didn’t do anything wrong. Laaaaaame.

Literally Dr. Lexus: "why come you don't have a tattoo?"

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Bob A Feet posted:

So you’re the reason why I keep getting emails about butterknives through my company? Where’s that meme of the guy spreading cream cheese on a bagel with the crash ax?

Now I am even more grateful for the small plastic butter knives mom gave me when she sent me out to the world. My sister keeps coveting them, maybe I'll give one of them as a Christmas present.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Idk what it would cost to have me touch or inadvertently touch something in our cockpits with my tongue but I guarantee you it would be lots and lots.

KCM removing what is and isn't allowed from their website for "security" reasons will surely help us to know what is and isn't allowed and fight those pilot types trying to hijack their own airplanes!

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

You are supposed to eat a piece of bagel and then bite off a piece of cream cheese from the brick.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I forget to pack them so I always end up going to an airport restaurant and taking some :shrug:

I commute from an airport without KCM so my complaints have been tempered by having my poo poo scanned every time I leave home. Nothing like getting stuck behind five people on one of the new machines that flags my bag every time for no reason.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

Actually, the day I had that happen, we got an email about the TSA going nuts on "prohibited items".

My experience has been that SMF is one of the worst, since I've seen them confiscate a water bottle strap from a FA because "this metal part is a flint, and you could use it to start a fire". Said metal part was just the attachment point for the strap, and when the TSA called the local cops over because of how highly dangerous this was, the police actually laughed at the Freedom Smurfs, and declined to do anything.

The Freedom Smurfs still confiscated the water bottle and photographed it as "evidence".

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 11, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It's crazy. I worked a long duty day yesterday, woke up today and picked up another trip that puts me in the hotel after midnight then gets me home late tomorrow. I still cannot fathom doing anything else for my career. I'm gonna relax all day, treat myself to a huge meal, take a nap, fly an airplane tonight and sleep in tomorrow.

Been flying (and posting here) for 13 years now and I still love what I do. Who gets to reflect on their job like that? Hell yeah.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'm in the middle of 11 days off and haven't thought about airplanes or flying them the whole time; it's been pretty great.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

I'm in the middle of 11 days off and haven't thought about airplanes or flying them the whole time; it's been pretty great.

When I go home a switch flips and I completely forget about aviation unless I’m reading this thread or someone asks me a question about flying, or a coworker contacts me, etc. Life becomes all about my kids, what are we gonna eat today, my friends, wrist watches, and video games. Then a day before my next trip I remember I’m a pilot. And that’s cool when it happens, I actually love my job.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

When I go home a switch flips and I completely forget about aviation unless I’m reading this thread or someone asks me a question about flying, or a coworker contacts me, etc. Life becomes all about my kids, what are we gonna eat today, my friends, wrist watches, and video games. Then a day before my next trip I remember I’m a pilot. And that’s cool when it happens, I actually love my job.

Coming from corporate always-on bullshit culture, I’m seeing this side of the fence for the first time and it’s like dropping a huge weight off my back.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to fly 135 in this economy while under 65 years old with fewer than 2 DUI’s.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Lmao rip Hawaiian

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Alaska is going to have to find a way to get rid all those Airbus again and replace them with 737s.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It’s the official Alaska cycle

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Rolo posted:

It's crazy. I worked a long duty day yesterday, woke up today and picked up another trip that puts me in the hotel after midnight then gets me home late tomorrow. I still cannot fathom doing anything else for my career. I'm gonna relax all day, treat myself to a huge meal, take a nap, fly an airplane tonight and sleep in tomorrow.

Been flying (and posting here) for 13 years now and I still love what I do. Who gets to reflect on their job like that? Hell yeah.

I’ve thought so highly of this career that I’m 36 years old and dumping a near 6 figure office job where I’m extremely comfortable to instruct. No idea how I’ll deal with 40k CAD of flight school debt with the 25-35k annual salary but hey you can’t put a price on chasing your dreams.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Two Kings posted:

Alaska is going to have to find a way to get rid all those Airbus again and replace them with 737s.

Plus, they'll have to route all the inter-island stuff through SEA, since Alaska is absolutely incapable of operating an airline with a business model that doesn't rely on everyone going to Seattle.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Wasn't Hawaiian supposed to get dreamliners or am I wrong about that. RIP though I really liked hawaiian when I flew on them to Hawaii a few times.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Hawaiian has 787s on order so they’ll be going to Alaska now I assume

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

PHNL-KSEA-PHOG :raise:

seems like the perfect routing for a 787 what's the problem

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

ANOTHER THING! I really liked the 321neos they'd fly from the west coast. Guess it'll be a goddamn -900 or max9 now ughhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Arson Daily posted:

ANOTHER THING! I really liked the 321neos they'd fly from the west coast. Guess it'll be a goddamn -900 or max9 now ughhhhhhhhh

don’t worry. It could be a MAX10 in the future.