Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you're looking to upgrade an older AM4 CPU, then I don't know what you're looking for if that's not a good enough deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you're looking to upgrade an older AM4 CPU, then I don't know what you're looking for if that's not a good enough deal.

My 3600 is still a perfectly adequate performer in pretty much everything I do but at that price who can resist?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How's quality on the Minisforum branded PCs? This looks pretty neat for an auxiliary machine:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Minisforum-debuts-UM480XT-High-end-specs-at-wallet-friendly-price.765898.0.html

I realize that the 4800H is Zen 2, but under $200 for a barebones kit is not too much more than an Intel N100 mini PC goes for, and Zen 2 must be better all around than Gracemont, right?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My 3600 is still a perfectly adequate performer in pretty much everything I do but at that price who can resist?

Honestly the 3D v-cache in stuff that cares about it is an incredible uplift over even the regular non-3D part. The 5600 isn't a compelling upgrade from the 3600, but the 5600X3D sure as hell is. From some of the coverage I've seen from HUB and GN it's within reasonable spitting distance of the 5800X3D.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is extremely tempting but I'm not sure how much of a lift I'll get going from a 5600X to the 3D version

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Moreover, the 5600X3D has more or less ceased to exist online, and I imagine fab on non-AM5 parts has either completely wrapped or is seriously winding down, so that might be your last shot at getting a 5600X3D that isn't eBay. If you're near a Microcenter and they're doing that deal, it is extraordinarily worth it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Moreover, the 5600X3D has more or less ceased to exist online, and I imagine fab on non-AM5 parts has either completely wrapped or is seriously winding down, so that might be your last shot at getting a 5600X3D that isn't eBay. If you're near a Microcenter and they're doing that deal, it is extraordinarily worth it.

The 5600X3D was a microcenter exclusive from day 1, no other vendor has ever sold them (new, at least).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

5600X3D are 5800X3D chips that didn't meet validation. AMD partnered with MicroCenter exclusively to offload them. No one else sells them unless they're being resold.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Well, TIL!

(Doesn't help that I live in a blighted, Microcenter-less land, even though there's a retail space that became available a few years ago that would seemingly be perfect for their purposes. But every day that location (a former Fry's) sits abandoned, it lies potentially exposed to the wet Portland climate and in need of possibly more repair.

I know Microcenter is being very cautious about expansion, but it does feel like a few of these old Fry's locations would make excellent store locations. The Portland suburbs one was really busy and successful, up until Fry's hit their general malaise period. It's even right next to a major highway and near a commuter rail line!)

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 8, 2023

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

I don’t need this at all but at that price I may just have to pick this up for the novelty I guess. Now to find a cheap am4 itx board…

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

All of a sudden I come home to turn on my PC today and it will start to boot and then crash shortly after booting. I would try to log in to windows and then I would get a blue screen and the PC would go back to the BIOS to try and fix the issue. Then it would just freeze after a certain point. At first I thought this was the hard drive, but then when I tried to go into BIOS, after maybe a minute BIOS will just freeze. This makes me thing my motherboard decided to die for some reason. Does that sound right to anyone? The computer lights up, and I'm not getting the impression that it would be anything else except either the hard drive or the motherboard. My hard drive is an M.2 NVME that I have not had issues with before.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Best USB Bluetooth adapter for wireless earbuds? Just looking for something that doesn't have audio lag so I can watch video in sync.

Sennheiser BTD 600 Bluetooth Dongle - USB-A/USB-C Adapter with AptX Audio Codecs for Stable, Sound - Listen to Music, Make Calls, and Watch Videos, Black https://amzn.eu/d/bZg0Lp5

Is that decent?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Is Zen 3 a significant step over Zen 2 or unlikely to matter one way or another? Usage case is as a Plex server and video transcoding for playing with AV1. I'm trying to choose between these:

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-SER5-MAX-5800H-Processor/dp/B0CDLD8ZBS/ - AMD 5800H / 16GB / 500GB for $280 after coupon
https://www.amazon.com/MINISFORUM-Windows-Desktop-Computer-Graphics/dp/B0CJ9JK7W9/ - AMD 4800H / 32GB / 512GB for $272 after coupon.

I expected a much bigger difference than I see, userbenchmark (I know it sucks but there's not reviews of these chips elsewhere) says they're basically identical, CPUMark says the 4800H is only 11% slower. The 32GB of RAM is probably nicer in the real world and it's a tenner cheaper.

16GB of RAM is worth about $25, so it's about $35 to go with a 5800H over a 4800H, effectively.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 9, 2023

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

All of a sudden I come home to turn on my PC today and it will start to boot and then crash shortly after booting. I would try to log in to windows and then I would get a blue screen and the PC would go back to the BIOS to try and fix the issue. Then it would just freeze after a certain point. At first I thought this was the hard drive, but then when I tried to go into BIOS, after maybe a minute BIOS will just freeze. This makes me thing my motherboard decided to die for some reason. Does that sound right to anyone? The computer lights up, and I'm not getting the impression that it would be anything else except either the hard drive or the motherboard. My hard drive is an M.2 NVME that I have not had issues with before.

So I’ve been noticing a trend online where people suddenly have computer issues that sound like a dying CPU and then I check to see what kind of CPU they have and it’s a recent AMD chip.

You have a 5600x in this rig yes?

I mean, it could also just be that AMD sells a lot of chips, but I would pick up a new compatible chip someplace where you can return it and see if that fixes the problem.

If not, then yeah it’s totally the motherboard.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

This morning there were 26 in stock at Cambridge and there are now 11 (and 9 mobo combos). I did grab one. Not sure how accurate inventory is but based on pricing and inventory I think this may be the last hurrah.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Sold out in Brooklyn and I don't want to go to Flushing or Yonkers, I should have copped one

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

spunkshui posted:

So I’ve been noticing a trend online where people suddenly have computer issues that sound like a dying CPU and then I check to see what kind of CPU they have and it’s a recent AMD chip.

You have a 5600x in this rig yes?

I mean, it could also just be that AMD sells a lot of chips, but I would pick up a new compatible chip someplace where you can return it and see if that fixes the problem.

If not, then yeah it’s totally the motherboard.
Yes it is

I took it to a local computer place so I'll know what the deal is in the next day or so

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: for anyone looking for a very cheap and cheerful CPU/MB/RAM bundle there is this: https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle for $270. 5600X3D, a Wifi B550 motherboard, and 16GB DDR4.

I'm going to be picking this up. Recommendations for a CPU cooler? Hoping to keep it quiet, and my office gets quite warm in the summer, but obviously this is a budget build, so not looking to go crazy. Is the Peerless Assassin still the way to go? What's the difference between the SE vs 120 vs normal?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 9, 2023

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
16 left in Twin Cities so I had to get one.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm going to be picking this up. Recommendations for a CPU cooler? Hoping to keep it quiet, and my office gets quite warm in the summer, but obviously this is a budget build, so not looking to go crazy. Is the Peerless Assassin still the way to go? What's the difference between the SE vs 120 vs normal?

Most of the differences between the Peerless Assassin models are minor enough to be basically cosmetic, go with whichever one fits your price or aesthetics

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

The normal PA has caps on top of each fin stack to hide the ends of the heat pipes. The PA SE has the ends showing though they are neat or orderly. Depends on how you want things to look.

The Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE is basically the Peerless Assassin with two more heat pipes. Also available in non-SE as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Grumpwagon posted:

105 w TDP so you should be perfectly fine with anything that isn’t low profile that has a 120mm fan.

I’m going to cool mine with an Alpenfohn Black Ridge and a 90mm fan. we’ll see how that goes. It’s an open case so airflow is pretty good. I can slap a 120mm fan on the top if necessary. It’s rated for 95w TDP so how bad can it get?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Microcenter showing the 5600x3d back to $199.99 today with 25+ in stock. The $270 bundle is still available, too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just curious, my PC is starting to drive me nuts with random reboots, so I'm thinking of buying one of those dell small corporate computers and some enclosures for my drives, so I can have a Plex server that lasts more than about 15 mins.

Is there anything I need to watch out for or an os I need to avoid?

Just looking to run a Plex server on it. Nothing else, no gaming, etc. Just something I can boot and just leave alone.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just curious, my PC is starting to drive me nuts with random reboots, so I'm thinking of buying one of those dell small corporate computers and some enclosures for my drives, so I can have a Plex server that lasts more than about 15 mins.

Is there anything I need to watch out for or an os I need to avoid?

Just looking to run a Plex server on it. Nothing else, no gaming, etc. Just something I can boot and just leave alone.

Buy something with an intel processor that has QuickSync so you can run encoding off the chip. You need a dedicated video card to do much with 4K but anything below that a moderately new intel should be able to handle.

Those little Dells or HPs are great for stuff like this. You may wanna bump up the RAM or put in a better SSD but they’re better than a raspberry pi and still not expensive.

I’d throw Ubuntu server on it and do a native install of Plex server. The docker version worked but if it’s just a one trick pony the native install is easier to deal with.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought about Unix or Linux but I have literally no experience in using that.

How do you know what intel chips have quicksync? I haven't messed with computers in probably about 15 years now so I'm way behind on the tech stuff.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also, in actual, non-scam deal news: 2TB Samsung 980 PROs are 20% off on Amazon right now, with Prime delivery available, sold by Amazon proper.

That's a sneeze under $20 less than what other credible retailers are offering for the part, and could be a good deal if you're looking for excellent fast storage. We'll have to see if it holds through or is matched in The Greatest Retail Weekend Of The Year™.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am thinking that in the spring of 2024 I want to go full rebuild (maybe keep some HDs for backup type storage and older games), previously all my builds have been fan cooled. I think I would like to go full on water/fluid cooled with controllable lighting and at least windowed case of some sort. I didn't see anything in the OP specifically talking about PC cooling, is there a good guide out there for this that goons recommend? Should I just post closer to the time with a list of parts I'm thinking about buying to smash together to get more specific feedback?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah, just post closer to build time. Depending on the parts you use, liquid cooling may not even be worth it/necessary unless you plan on overclocking like a fiend. For all we post about Intel's modern insanity and the excesses of top-end Nvidia parts, in the main parts are pretty decent about being power and thermal-efficient these days. Hell, one of the things making budget parts "budget" is their power and thermal draw and the reduced need for cooling. Double hell, a current low budget build will draw less than 350 watts under standard load; even the Thermalright is kind of overkill in these conditions. You have to talk about going for the really high end i9s or the biggest GPUs before we start going over 500w, prior to performance mode kicking in.

Fastedit: Doombat's got it, tho, mostly lock down what you'd like as an aesthetic for now and when it's time to assemble the Machine Of The Future, post again and the thread can have a look at what you specifically want to do.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 9, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If you're planning on getting an AIO for your CPU, then post a little closer to when you're planning on building so we can check what's available / sanely priced at the time and make some recommendations that'll match your aesthetic. For now you should probably browse cases, pin down the aesthetic you're after, and see what AIO setups that are currently around would fit the case while matching the look you're going for. By spring there might be more options, but you'll at least have a nice foundation for what you're after.

If you're planning on building a loop at home then you're officially over my head and I don't know if we even have a current custom loop thread for FAQs :shobon:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Definitely not going custom home built loop, I want a good product with a warranty and all that. Thanks ya'll :shobon:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I managed to get my aged 7700K running again so a computer build had been degraded from emergency to pressing need in the next few months.

I'm really looking at the 5800X3D and Im just wondering if I'm crazy? I know the chipset is end of life, but I feel its a good option for me. I dont want to spend a ton of cash, and I dont really play anything modern except for Baldurs Gate 3. Supposedly the X3D line is good for stuff like Stellaris, Factorio and Dwarf Fortress, which is basically all I play.

Does the thought of someone buying a 5800X3D at this point sound insane to people who actually know what they're doing?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kris xK posted:

I managed to get my aged 7700K running again so a computer build had been degraded from emergency to pressing need in the next few months.

I'm really looking at the 5800X3D and Im just wondering if I'm crazy? I know the chipset is end of life, but I feel its a good option for me. I dont want to spend a ton of cash, and I dont really play anything modern except for Baldurs Gate 3. Supposedly the X3D line is good for stuff like Stellaris, Factorio and Dwarf Fortress, which is basically all I play.

Does the thought of someone buying a 5800X3D at this point sound insane to people who actually know what they're doing?

If you're going to spend the money doing a platform replacement, which you would be doing by going to a 5800X3D, you're better served by going to a modern platform instead of another dead platform. Microcenter has a $500 bundle for a 7800X3D (replacement for the 5800X3D), an appropriate ATX motherboard, and 32GB of DDR5 6000MHz CL36 memory (there is an Intel variant with a 13700K and an ATX Z790 board); if you're near one this a pretty good deal and I think would be your best option. If you're not near one, you're still probably better off going with something on AM5 or a 13th Gen Intel system.

7800X3D Bundle
13700K Bundle
7800X3D PC Part Picker List
13700K PC Part Picker List

Do note that the Microcenter bundles have more expensive motherboards in them than the two PC Part Picker lists do for cheaper.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 10, 2023

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. No microcenter in Canada unfortunately, but if I'm moving to an AM5 like I'm supposed to I can get a cheaper cpu and upgrade down the line. Thanks!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kris xK posted:

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. No microcenter in Canada unfortunately, but if I'm moving to an AM5 like I'm supposed to I can get a cheaper cpu and upgrade down the line. Thanks!

Canada Computers has this deal https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=&item_id=247953&sid=ut8m96adn1gnc3ttik6no95fc3 which isn't bad! 7700X, B650 motherboard with Wifi6, and 32GB of RAM.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apologies if this isn't the correct spot but I'm using win 10 and my computer is just randomly rebooting. What should I be looking for in the logs?

Driving me loving nuts :argh:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Apologies if this isn't the correct spot but I'm using win 10 and my computer is just randomly rebooting. What should I be looking for in the logs?

Driving me loving nuts :argh:

A good start would be to click the start menu and then start typing reliability history, pulls up a windows app that says "view reliability history" which does a pretty good job of gathering up what is going wrong and aggregating it into one place.

Also perhaps run a memory test, check temps, etc.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did the history thing but all it says is "The previous system shutdown was unexpected".

I kinda knew that already.

Haven't gotten any temp warnings that I know of, so I'm kinda stumped.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Event Viewer should give you a better idea of what's going on, that's what I used.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Canada Computers has this deal https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=&item_id=247953&sid=ut8m96adn1gnc3ttik6no95fc3 which isn't bad! 7700X, B650 motherboard with Wifi6, and 32GB of RAM.

Thanks for that, I'd much rather use Canada Computers than some random Amazon bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Helpful goons gave me a build around my budget for a new PC a few months ago, and I wasn't in a rush and figured i'd wait for Black Friday sales to make the whole build cheaper. I'm looking at bundles, and the posted Canada Computer bundle came up that seems like it'd fit. I was hoping to use the savings to maybe invest in a better GPU if it makes sense.

Here's the build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MWzRTY

I have a 1tb nme drive waiting to be installed already, but I also think I should pick up another harddrive since games are gigantic these days.