Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I loved RDR2 and GTAV so I think this one will be pretty good too. They’re also short a Houser this time so that might have a pretty big impact on tone and focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Why did they make Captain Boomerang, a guy who presumably throws boomerangs as his entire thing, use a gun. And if they had to put in guns, why not choose one of the Suicide Squad members who actually shoots a gun.

They really threw away what makes Captain Boomerang work.

Wait... it's coming back around

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t feel like Night City comes close to matching the worlds in GTA V or RDR2 in terms of quality, and I like sci-fi settings more than just about anything else in my media.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rockstar do a future game

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

acksplode posted:

This stuff has to be aimed at people who skipped it due to word of mouth. I was skeptically looking forward to it until everyone said it sucked, but maybe I could be wooed if they fix the glaring problems. I guess the publisher is deciding that the game is salvageable enough to at least try boosting the sales long tail.

I felt kind of bad really crapping on the game during those first few hours playing it. Game's not in a good state but since playing it I've downloaded like six patches that all fixed bugs, improve performance and change monster density so they are actively improving the game. There are some good ideas while others aren't so good. Some areas are really fantastic, even by the standards of the genre, while others get bogged down by having so many enemies and cheap encounter design. I've been enjoying it more often than not but sometimes you get to a section that's just awful and it brings things down.

I think the game will be worth a playthrough in six months for those on the fence about it. It'll probably have some issues but there'll be a lot less to have to deal with to find enjoyment from it.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 8, 2023

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t feel like Night City comes close to matching the worlds in GTA V or RDR2 in terms of quality, and I like sci-fi settings more than just about anything else in my media.

This is how I feel, as well. Night City is a great map but as an open world that reacts to the player it's definitely not on the level of GTA V or RDR2

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Dewgy posted:

I loved RDR2 and GTAV so I think this one will be pretty good too. They’re also short a Houser this time so that might have a pretty big impact on tone and focus.

I have never found GTA satire that funny so writing more in the vein of GTAIV or RDR2 would be good

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Escobarbarian posted:

I think they’ve been topped in some ways (Night City is the most obvious example) but they’re certainly up there with the best, and saying “are they? that one time I played one of their games nineteen years ago it wasn’t very impressive to me” is extremely funny

Yeah, dude, I'm sure I'm horribly out of date, it's just weird how GTA has kinda occupied the "archetypical generic boring open world" slot in my head when people are getting so hype for it. Although having them sit and milk GTA 5 for ten years hasn't really done much to tell me any different lol.

exquisite tea posted:

Why did they make Captain Boomerang, a guy who presumably throws boomerangs as his entire thing, use a gun. And if they had to put in guns, why not choose one of the Suicide Squad members who actually shoots a gun.

I said exactly loving this when the first trailer dropped! And the unfortunate answer is because it's a live service loot drop game where you find guns with slightly better percentages, and so all the characters have to play more or less the same, so they all have to shoot a gun and have some sort of melee attack and some sort of flying jetpack thing and ugh its just gonna be so shallow and dull

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

45 minutes to Kiryu Joryu time :blastu:

theyre rubber bullets it’s ok

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

whether gta6 is good or not, i am not excited for the absolute avalanche of media coverage and hype it's going to get and how much it's going to be shoved in my eyeballs on instagram and tiktok ads, on the side of buildings and busses, on doritos bags, etc

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

GTA3 is undoubtedly an incredibly influential game but the particular vein of "bunch of map markers in a generic-ish open world" so many games follow is much more directly influenced by what Ubisoft have been doing with the AC and Far Cry series

Rockstar open worlds have more random emergent things or activities that are just kinda pointless but fun to dick around in that aren't there to tick off a checklist of activities

So many modern open world game design feels like if the warp rooms between levels in Crash 2 and 3, just wandering between actual content, was instead 75% of the game

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, dude, I'm sure I'm horribly out of date, it's just weird how GTA has kinda occupied the "archetypical generic boring open world" slot in my head when people are getting so hype for it. Although having them sit and milk GTA 5 for ten years hasn't really done much to tell me any different lol.

I think the part that really stands out is even though they’ve been milking the gently caress out of it for a decade, the only people who’ve come close to building a world just as good in that decade is themselves in RDR2.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, much as I prefer the gameplay design of other open world games, nothing comes remotely close to the world sim of RDR2. The world feels a lot more alive than any other game world and you're fully convinced there's like a functioning natural ecosystem while you're playing.

Like, Cyberpunk is amazing and gorgeous and I even prefer it as a game, but even with the most recent additions its world still comparatively feels like set dressing.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, much as I prefer the gameplay design of other open world games, nothing comes remotely close to the world sim of RDR2. The world feels a lot more alive than any other game world and you're fully convinced there's like a functioning natural ecosystem while you're playing.

Like, Cyberpunk is amazing and gorgeous and I even prefer it as a game, but even with the most recent additions its world still comparatively feels like set dressing.

From what I remember they did actually simulate an ecosystem with predator/prey relationships and poo poo

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hey is the new Yakuza game turn based like the other Like a Dragon game or what?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaiden is not. Infinite Wealth, which is coming out in January, is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Grem posted:

Hey is the new Yakuza game turn based like the other Like a Dragon game or what?

No, it's a "classic" one that's like ten hours long

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Thank you for the answers. I was purchasing it either way just wanted to know what to expect because I never follow hype for them just blindly buy them, as one should

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Phenotype posted:

It's like anything in entertainment, everyone is into a different assortment of thingies. For me those are some terrific games, and for sure some of the few open city games where I don't get bored. Also Yakuza. The writing and vibe of the games to me is very funny and unique, I like the radio selections and fake radio shows by Lazlow and JB Smoove etc. It usually has my favorite driving of any game, so it's actually fun to travel and learn the city. The games are usually under 40 hours and try to make most missions memorable and give you good dialogue and characters, without a lot of grind. And there's just that hint of indie game quirk to the franchise under the huge budget, due to it's roots and I guess aspects of their design style, so it just feels like it has more character than some more churned out AAA open world games by competitors.

That said, with the main writer leaving and times moving along, it certainly has big shoes and expectations to fill. But I'll just be happy if it's a solid GTA that is at least as good as V, hopefully with some new twists and some more of that lived in and fun character stuff from RDR2.

I'll say not to get too real here, but even though fantasy and reality are seperated, people feel a little odd about guns in fiction now. I saw Robert Rodriguez say he's not sure if he'd make another Desperado movie because of guns. But, he is still making ultraviolent movies like Battle Angel but that has robo-people dismembering each other, and he did a thriller called Hypnotic lately with a body count but it has a sci-fi element as well.

Also, Marvel just launched the first issue of a Punisher reboot with a new blonde guy, and he has red laser guns on the cover. Last time they had Punisher become a ninja for a while.

Anyways like somebody said about Rockstar making a sci-fi game, the simple answer to make GTA timeless and not offensive is to have it have laser guns. Just set it 10 years in the future like Predator 2. As for me, I can still enjoy hyperviolent modern stories with guns, but I do wonder about if GTA's irreverent rampage origins will keep being as evergreen as a megahit. Pacifist GTA with tranq guns, laser GTA, they'll think of something if that happens.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 9, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Heavy Metal posted:

Anyways like somebody said about Rockstar making a sci-fi game, the simple answer to make GTA timeless and not offensive is to have it have laser guns

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
GTAO already has rocket bikes and hovercars and laser guns and killer androids hidden in secret government bunkers fyi

Unfortunately the ratio of cool poo poo to annoying grindy garbage is still, generously, like 30/70 so I still wouldn't exactly recommend it to anyone unless they just want more GTA after running out of single player stuff to so

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Oh yeah, I gotta say as a big Rockstar fan, I can't do their online stuff at all. I just enjoy their new single player opus every 5 to 10 years.

Hell yeah

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Maybe they did plan for GTA6 to be set 10 years in the future, and put it in the year 2024

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

A gta set in a robocop-like future would be cool. Instead you’re gonna get a side mission where you have to film viral videos for an app called DikDok as part of a crypto scheme.

Gimmie that 60fps rdr2 though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

please guys stop mentioning how good RDR2 is

i have barely touched mario or AC6 and i still need to beat spiderman and maybe Cyberpunk

truly the year of games

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I played the first hour of LAD Gaiden and it’s rad as hell

Gonna get up early tomorrow for this one

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Saint Denis is one of my favourite place in video games. The whole map is magical.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I hope GTA6 is the most gorgeous, most photorealistic game yet but also be 30 hours of:

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Instead you’re gonna get a side mission where you have to film viral videos for an app called DikDok as part of a crypto scheme.

That would be the funniest joke the game could do.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I could actually see GTAVI running into the problem of 'real life is now so stupid that the joke radio ads about politics/tech/etc are extremely tame compared to things trump/musk/etc actually did and said'

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see what the tone is but I’ll be fine with it as long as it isn’t as depressing as 4 ultimately ended up being.

I think the downer ending probably contributed a lot to my shelving it after one and done instead of loving around for a billion hours or replaying it like every other GTA ever.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Actually I bet a lot of people felt like that and that’s why V ended with a third option C for the mega happy ending instead of just being a binary choice between two lovely ones.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vintersorg posted:

It's seeming more and more that Lords of the Fallen was pushed out way too early. There is way too many patches and fixes and new, IMO, BASIC content being promised. Anyone who bought the game release has most likely beaten it by now so what does new armor do? I don't think the game is deep enough to warrant continued play throughs.

Maybe announce some major DLC but this just seems pointless. Maybe I am being a jaded oval office.

'souls-like'

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MechaSeinfeld posted:

A gta set in a robocop-like future would be cool. Instead you’re gonna get a side mission where you have to film viral videos for an app called DikDok as part of a crypto scheme.

Gimmie that 60fps rdr2 though.

we already live in the future robocop predicted. any game set in the present day is a robocop-like

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If they simply didn't put out a stupid graphic with a hugely over-detailed roadmap about a bunch of things that nobody could possibly be all that excited for, and instead just released that stuff as it became ready, it would do wonders for the game's reputation and give it the air of a labour of love instead of feeling like you're waiting to cash in a vaguely GaaS-themed IOU for a finished game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

we already live in the future robocop predicted. any game set in the present day is a robocop-like

Especially the Robocop game

I hope it goes on sale soon because the little bit I played was a ton of fun but not full retail fun

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

When your roadmap's top line is all just "finish making the game," oof. The armor quests in LotF are actually fairly involved quests with unique areas so it's a bit more than just a cosmetic thing, but they aren't communicating that to anyone who hasn't already finished the game.

Anyway, has anyone played Robocop on PS5 yet?

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 9, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Best open world maps/worlds. Keep in mind this is not a judgement of the overall game just the map and how it functions. visually, mechically, variety etc. Also not including games that are sort of open world, like any game with open worldish "regions" like Metro, Borderlands etc.

Most immersive-Red Dead Redemption 2, Death Stranding (tie)
Coolest/most stylish-Cyberpunk 2077
Best exploration-Breath of the Wild/Elden Ring (tie)
Prettiest to look at-Horizon Forbidden West/Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk (3 way tie)
Sells the concept the best-Red Dead Redemption 2 (cyberpunk second place because it's much less reactive and the moving parts don't work nearly as well. otherwise I would say this would be a tie)
Most groundbreaking- GTA 3/GTA 5 (I do not think these are still some of the best, but they were next level when they were released)
Honorable mention- The Witcher 3, Days gone
Best overall-Red Dead Redemption 2

This is canon

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 9, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

no ghost of tsushima anywhere in the list is an automatic fail

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Ghost of Tsushima is top vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Ghost of Tsushima is just OK, but that still makes it the best Assassin's Creed game