Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
They should do like a big crossover event to consolidate all the multiverses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
They did. It was called Angstrom Levy. :v:

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

So done with multiverses,

Unless all of these comic properties doing this wind up in Secret War, Invincible included, I just wish they'd stop. It's a neat concept, but it's been run into the ground.

This particular story started almost 20 years ago. Maybe the timing is a little unfortunate but it’s hardly bandwagon jumping now.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it is kind of unfortunate because AU stuff doesn't actually feature heavily in the important stories in the comics, they're more used as an x-factor to either win a pivotal battle, or make Mark suffer (VERY much more the latter than the former) and I have my doubts that Levy is going to feature much in the next few episodes. I think he's being set up as a "well, he's gone insane. Mark's in for a fun time when he shows his face again 3 or so episodes from now". There are waaaaaay more important things to cover, like exploring Mark and Amber having a more fulfilling and, hopefully, functional relationship

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DiscoJ posted:

This particular story started almost 20 years ago. Maybe the timing is a little unfortunate but it’s hardly bandwagon jumping now.
I didn't say it was. I read these comics when they came out and used to own the hardcovers. It's something they should've just sidestepped given the thoroughly poisoned well. Changes are fine. They've already made plenty.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

If I'm jumping in the multiverse, I'd sooner go to the reality where Trump lost in a landslide and this killed the rise of fascism as just another valid political identity stone dead, but if that universe also isn't teeming with multiverses, yeah.

Homie, trump was the symptom not the disease

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

You're not wrong, but buddy, you quoted the part where I said "and this killed the rise of fascism."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

You're not wrong, but buddy, you quoted the part where I said "and this killed the rise of fascism."

This is still the wrong way around though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is still the wrong way around though.
I'm literally traveling multiverses here, yo.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Aces High posted:

it is kind of unfortunate because AU stuff doesn't actually feature heavily in the important stories in the comics, they're more used as an x-factor to either win a pivotal battle, or make Mark suffer (VERY much more the latter than the former) and I have my doubts that Levy is going to feature much in the next few episodes. I think he's being set up as a "well, he's gone insane. Mark's in for a fun time when he shows his face again 3 or so episodes from now". There are waaaaaay more important things to cover, like exploring Mark and Amber having a more fulfilling and, hopefully, functional relationship

Does the Flaxan empire count as AU? I'm honestly not clear on or if there's a difference between alternate universes and alternate dimensions

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Iirc the Flaxans are in a different dimension that is still within the same universe, which is why they keep coming back to Mark's Earth, specifically.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I've had no comic spoilers so had no idea they were gonna do the multiverse thing. Assumed the start was either a nightmare or a fakeout until it kept going and then was thinking maybe some flash forward and the show was gonna do something wild like be all about how he ends up also being a villain.

Was a great episode, but kinda disappointed that it's more multiverse stuff.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

Was a great episode, but kinda disappointed that it's more multiverse stuff.

Like others have said Levy is more a recurring villain than a series-wide Big Bad. I'm assuming they'll have him pop up and gently caress with Mark every few episodes and I'll be surprised if his story isn't resolved within this season. There will be plenty of other 'regular' superhero poo poo going on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stairmaster posted:

People keep saying this, but no - Trump is a disease. But he's not cancer; he's whatever minor disease finishes you off when you have late stage HIV. If the American system hadn't already been geared up to accept him he'd just have been another Ross Perot. But as it is, he became a more successful Strom Thurmond.

That said, this probably isn't the place to discuss it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, I make one comment on an Invincible video about how creepy it is that Mark's AU counterpart is just smiling as he goes to execute some helpless civilians and now my feed is just constantly people going "Uh, how is he evil? He's literally right." or "They shouldn't have joined a resistance."

Can there be one single form of media that doesn't just immediately form a "The bad guys are right actually" sect of the fanbase?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Man, I make one comment on an Invincible video about how creepy it is that Mark's AU counterpart is just smiling as he goes to execute some helpless civilians and now my feed is just constantly people going "Uh, how is he evil? He's literally right." or "They shouldn't have joined a resistance."

Can there be one single form of media that doesn't just immediately form a "The bad guys are right actually" sect of the fanbase?

There was a huge thread on the Steam forums about Baldur's Gate 3, there are a group of refugees you come across running because their city had fallen into literal hell. People were upset that murdering these refugees and their children was considered an "evil" choice and kept calling the game pro-refugee propaganda. Basically there's a very loud segment of the population that is just straight up evil.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Sounds like the Knights of the Dinner Table became a point of pride instead of a cautionary tale of "don't be THAT player"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What I don't get is why they need to "weaken" the planet in the first place. When the Viltrumites roll in they'll crush all the resistance anyway. We also don't even get a timetable of when they'll actually show up

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's a plot device to explain why Superman is secretly evil. Don't think about it too hard. From what we've seen, instead of one Viltrumite taking 20 years to conquer Earth, twenty of them could come and do it in a weekend. Occupation is another matter but we don't see any evidence as to what Omni-man and Evilvincible are doing there. Nolan seems too standoffish to have spent those decades building connections with influential figures that could compose a vichy regime.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Panfilo posted:

What I don't get is why they need to "weaken" the planet in the first place. When the Viltrumites roll in they'll crush all the resistance anyway. We also don't even get a timetable of when they'll actually show up
I figured maybe the hope is that dudes like Omni-Man could successfully (albeit violently) convince the majority of the planet to totally submit to Viltrumite rule so that it can easily be converted into a slave workforce or whatever? I dunno that was enough for me at least. Like obviously resistance would be fruitless but if the whole empire shows up announced people might be more likely to just, all go crazy or something. This way Omni-Man can do a simple handoff

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Panfilo posted:

It’s the viltrum empire so presumably the vassal state populations could manage the planet without a large viltrumite army rolling in, with the just the one viltrumite leading the way

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Viltrum is over extended already from what they've said. If they roll in with 30 they can probably crush all resistance and keep moving but they're going to have a 3/4 or more dead planet with rebellion problems long term. Might have to leave viltrumites behind to do long term admin and such.

Better to let one hang out for a while and learn about the planet then do a takeover with fewer casualties so the planet can be a happy cog in the wheel faster.

Also note that Nolan was doing a bad job and putting things off for quite a while, only really realizing he has to get in motion properly when he sees half-viltrumites inherit powers. Early S1 he's sort of annoyed / disappointed when Mark manifests because it means it's time to get to work and set aside the fantasy he's been living in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Martman posted:

I figured maybe the hope is that dudes like Omni-Man could successfully (albeit violently) convince the majority of the planet to totally submit to Viltrumite rule so that it can easily be converted into a slave workforce or whatever? I dunno that was enough for me at least. Like obviously resistance would be fruitless but if the whole empire shows up announced people might be more likely to just, all go crazy or something. This way Omni-Man can do a simple handoff

This was always my guess. In theory if Nolan had worked a bit harder at it rather than just being one super hero out of many he could have rendered the entire guardians of the globe redundant early into his career and become the earth's sole protector then eventually just rolled out the red carpet for the Viltrumites which would have reduced the need to just level entire cities and killing thousands to stop rebellions. I don't think they actually care about having to do mass murder or anything, it's just faster and easier if people accept the rule and they can start right away on the enslavement or whatever it is they plan to do; because they're terrible people.

LividLiquid posted:

So done with multiverses,

Unless all of these comic properties doing this wind up in Secret War, Invincible included, I just wish they'd stop. It's a neat concept, but it's been run into the ground.

Multiverses are kind of inevitable in certain forms of fiction after a certain point. Stakes tend to constantly need to go up and once saving the country becomes rote you have to save the world, but that becomes boring so you have to save the galaxy, the universe; then time travel gets involved so you're saving the whole timeline - other dimensions and then eventually entire other realities with their own timelines and dimensions and worlds and countries. Comics tend to accelerate the process but a lot of long running series or settings run into it even.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Takes No Damage posted:

Like others have said Levy is more a recurring villain than a series-wide Big Bad. I'm assuming they'll have him pop up and gently caress with Mark every few episodes and I'll be surprised if his story isn't resolved within this season. There will be plenty of other 'regular' superhero poo poo going on.

I doubt they will resolve Levy this season. Guy shows up too much over the comics for that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nuebot posted:

This was always my guess. In theory if Nolan had worked a bit harder at it rather than just being one super hero out of many he could have rendered the entire guardians of the globe redundant early into his career and become the earth's sole protector then eventually just rolled out the red carpet for the Viltrumites which would have reduced the need to just level entire cities and killing thousands to stop rebellions. I don't think they actually care about having to do mass murder or anything, it's just faster and easier if people accept the rule and they can start right away on the enslavement or whatever it is they plan to do; because they're terrible people.

Multiverses are kind of inevitable in certain forms of fiction after a certain point. Stakes tend to constantly need to go up and once saving the country becomes rote you have to save the world, but that becomes boring so you have to save the galaxy, the universe; then time travel gets involved so you're saving the whole timeline - other dimensions and then eventually entire other realities with their own timelines and dimensions and worlds and countries. Comics tend to accelerate the process but a lot of long running series or settings run into it even.
You ain't wrong.

But what's so frustrating is they don't loving have to. They're Tina driving Bob's car in an empty parking lot and slowly, excruciatingly making their way toward an inevitable collision with the only other car in it.

Like, c'mon, y'all. Just make me care about one single person and then have the hero need to save that person. I promise I'll still care. You don't need to threaten the multiverse. It's like picturing a billion dollars. When a number is that high, your brain just can't conceive of it. It might as well be eleven hojillion fafillion dollars. Once it's everybody through all of time, all of space, and every single possible reality, I can't begin to care after the first go.

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once did a multiverse story, but it was only centered around a couple of people and now everybody else should watch that, ask themselves, "are we doing literally any part of this as well as they did? No? Let's do something else, then."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Panfilo posted:

These aren't comic spoilers because we're far past that point now, but Nolan was supposed to keep the planet safe and remove any threats as they came up. Keep the place nice and tidy until the new masters arrived. Probably advance the technology and whatnot, too.

But Earth is a poo poo magnet.

Constant storms, floods, earthquakes, alien invasions, interdimensional demons, giant monsters, asteroids, supervillains, pollution, capitalism, etc.

He was so busy just trying to keep things from falling apart, he never actually managed to prepare the Earth like he was supposed to.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I got the impression that half of Nolan's mission was to find out whether half-humans could inherit viltrumite powers, because their population was so low after the purge that replenishing it was a primary goal of occupation. Like maybe Nolan was supposed to check the gently caress out if Mark didn't get powers by a certain age, which is why he gets so deadly serious when Mark does.

**I'm fine with the multiverse stuff in a limited quantity because it's being used to make "our" universe stand out. Omni-Man beating Invincible into a pulp against that rock stands out a lot more to me now that we know how easily it can go the other way.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 9, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm flabbergasted that the guy who has access to an infinite number of alternate dimensions didn't build his Very Important Machine in one where no one could disturb them

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
In Levy's defence, he apparently built multiple with different sets of Mauler twins against multiple universes. And given the power and infrastructure requirements he couldn't pick the post-apocalyptic ones. Instead, among others, he picked the one where Invincible was good, which ultimately didn't work out but was a decent bet.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Should've used the universe where Battle Beast killed Omni-Man and any other relevant heroes before pissing off and leaving the rest of earth alone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like the developers of Mortal Kombat had fun coming up with lines for Omni-Man. There's a reference to both Spider-Man 1 and Whiplash. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_LfjQHEeVE

Mirror matches are even explained as being caused by Levy. There's at least one intro and Omni-Man's ending which mention future characters, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 10, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol Eve.

Not really sure what they are planning on doing with Mark and Amber, but so far it looks like it's just a rehash of s1(with Mark being busy all the time).

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol Eve.

Not really sure what they are planning on doing with Mark and Amber, but so far it looks like it's just a rehash of s1(with Mark being busy all the time).

She isn’t as insufferable and seems to understand what being the girlfriend of a superhero entails now (being flaked on all the time, etc.) Keeping an eye on her but she hasn’t pissed me off much yet lol.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I am genuinely surprised that the Immortal/Duplikate relationship was preserved.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Totally missed that the hanging corpses were the guys Darkwing captured in s1e1 and never went back for.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Totally missed that the hanging corpses were the guys Darkwing captured in s1e1 and never went back for.

Holy poo poo, that's an amazing catch Darkwing Batman never kills, yeah right

I'm really enjoying what they're doing with Debbie, Eve, and Amber over all. The comics were definitely the Mark show, and most of the stories ended up revolving around how that affects him. Much cooler to see what's going on in their lives when Mark isn't around. With that in mind I'm curious what they're going to do with Eve. With her powers she could probably have done something to not have that disastrous result with the playground, but she's barely an adult like Mark, so most of her learning will come from mistakes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

eves dad is annoying

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The show does have a particular hate for controlling husbands: Nolan showed some of that toward Debbie, Eve's dad is the poster child, and the house buying couple triggered Debbie. Eve's dad made one good point this episode only because the universe aligned around it but it really seems more designed to force Eve to grow from being a freelancing samaritan.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

eves dad is annoying

He's a bellend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eve and her father have this weird relationship where I feel like the both of them are so close to understanding each other, but then one of them just says the wrong thing and it causes the other to respond very negatively and very adamantly.

Granted, Eve is just now 18 while her father is a grown man, so it looks much worse for him. The sexism also doesn't help.