Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So the primary debate is tonight and i am curious if any of the canidates change tac after the slaughter last night, last night proved even more social conservative poo poo isnt winning for them. obviously the answer will be no but its interesting.

They will not because their audience is primary voters, not general election voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It doesn't matter. Trump is holding a rally a few miles away, just to make it clear he could attend but chooses not to because he's winning 60% of the primary vote. If they were smart enough to change away from a losing strategy, they wouldn't be running for the GOP nomination in 2024.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think that if you really look at yesterday's results Conservatism wasn't beaten black and blue, it was failed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Trump refusing all the debates while being the extremely obvious winner is kinda hilarious. I hate myself for handing it to him but still

These dorks are going to have it out for hours, meanwhile Trump will coast to victory on

1. More money for Donald
2. Ladies show Donald your boobs
3. Donald Trump is the strongest most masculine man to live
4. Seriously Donald needs more money

All while never bothering

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

It's convenient that ignoring the debates and playing it off as a chad move is the best play for him since he doesn't have the marbles to debate anymore anyway.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Gyges posted:

I think that if you really look at yesterday's results Conservatism wasn't beaten black and blue, it was failed.

Conservativism cannot fail, it can only be failed.

The previous conversation was about the polls. And I've beaten this up since last night. I think it's pretty clear the polling about Trump being up is pretty loving suspicious after the utter democratic victory march shellacking last night. Do I believe Biden has an uphill battle? Yes. Do I believe Trump could easily win the election? Yes. Do I believe Trump is up 9 in Nevada? gently caress NO.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Zwabu posted:

They will not because their audience is primary voters, not general election voters.
Take a look at the Freep thread -- there's definitely a contingent of Republican voters who see culture war as a losing issue. They want to vote for someone who doesn't go around sieg-heiling to the chuds, but will weasel it in once in office.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Take a look at the Freep thread

Please do not encourage other posters to self-harm

Actual serious comment: I agree with Zwabu - between the rise of social media and the gritting class and the push for gerrymandering and anti-democratic elections, the GOP has become much much more beholden to its primary voters and are going to chase the extremes in their party rather than moderate their views. And their answer to how to win elections will be either to work harder to rig voting and voting rights; to wait for the Dems to have a bad cycle and ram things through when another 2016 happens; or to not care because the people in power are getting elected and gritting and actually winning more power might upset the grift.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Soooo, do they dive in on abortion tonight or do they steer clear? I'd watch, but the debates are pretty much the comedy option now. What if we threw a primary and no one cared?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Welp this is going bloodthirsty already about foreign affairs

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It is wild to me that human beings can hold the position of 'I was heartbroken to hear of a 6 year old girl saying I just want the bombings to stop, that's why we have to let Israel kill as many children as they want.'

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one

Every single answer starts with this.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zotix posted:

I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one

Who? Vivek? Or all of them?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Who? Vivek? Or all of them?

All of them. Christie, DeSantis, Haley, they all lead with it constantly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zotix posted:

I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one
I'm the only one

They are Republicans after all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tim Scott cannot stop babbling about the southern border, no matter the question.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I heard that Haley called Vivek scum? Confirm/deny?

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

After he mentioned her daughter, yeah.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Republicans watching debate VS Republicans watching CMA Awards.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
"I'm the only one" is an indirect criticism of Trump, since they can't attack him directly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vivek’s closing statement was to declare that Joe Biden is a puppet president and that Michelle Obama will be the real candidate.

He caught me by surprise.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Space Robot posted:

After he mentioned her daughter, yeah.

To expand on this it was some weird point about how Nikki Hayley's daughter uses TikTok because Haley called him out for having a TikTok account. At the end of it he could see it was over the line and tried to slip in a clarification that it was her adult daughter.

STAC Goat posted:

Vivek’s closing statement was to declare that Joe Biden is a puppet president and that Michelle Obama will be the real candidate.

He had a lot of hail-mary plays tonight. He has some interesting ideas about what might sell to the GOP audience, some of them kinda clever, unfortunately he does not have the charisma or experience to deploy these ideas authentically.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

STAC Goat posted:

Dan from Knowledge Fight's theory that Vivek's not running to be the next president, he's running to be the next Tucker Carlson, looks more and more plausible every day.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Vivek is maybe the most dislikeable candidate I've seen in presidential debates in a while. Can't think of another one that rubbed me the wrong way like this. Just such an irredeemable, shallow and self-serving person

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually forgot that he opened the debate by saying it should be moderated by Tucker Carlson, Joe Rogan, and Elon Musk.

It’s like he’s an online chat come to life.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I swear these maniacs actually make Trump less scary, and the prospect of another Trump administration is terrifying.

But these fools... Want to start a war with Mexico, torpedo the economy by cutting 75% of government spending. That would be apocalyptic great depression over night apocalyptic.

It's like an ongoing ad lib word salad of right-wing trigger words strung together in an ever escalating crazy.

These are supposed to be the serious people alternative to Trump? At this I don't know which camp is stupider.

Skex fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 9, 2023

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Dan from Knowledge Fight's theory that Vivek's not running to be the next president, he's running to be the next Tucker Carlson, looks more and more plausible every day.

Republican Presidential primaries tend to have a lot of folks who use the primary as advertising for their next media or talking head job. Hell, this was probably Trump's plan until he won.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

StumblyWumbly posted:

Republican Presidential primaries tend to have a lot of folks who use the primary as advertising for their next media or talking head job. Hell, this was probably Trump's plan until he won.

Trump dreamed bigger, and was going to flip his loss into a whole new cable channel.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

STAC Goat posted:

that's been a greatest hits conspiracy theory since 2016, mostly to rile up the racists

all the nominal candidates are going to drop out at the convention in favor of Barack Obama's black wife

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

i say swears online posted:

it's across two cycles but indiana 2008 -> 2012 -> 2016 was a big one
It’s even worse now, everybody left. Seriously, my friend group all bailed on the state I, the 5 people in my office, and some members of my family are the only ones still here.

What’s really insulting is that a third of them left for Texas or Florida. A gay black man sees a better personal future in the Houston suburbs than the biggest city in Indiana.

Sigh.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Space Fish posted:

DeSantis imagining his next showdown with Nikki Haley, who keeps using her line about "and when I kick back, I'm in heels"

Reposting in light of Nikki "they're not three inches, they're five" "ammunition heels" Haley. Ron wants to catch the kick on its way to Vivek.

I'm no fan of the GOP but she and Christie are the only coherent speakers on stage across all three debates so far. Did anyone catch the shot of Tim and Vivek chuckling on their end while Nikki was speaking? Looked like morons. Does that happen a lot in debates and it's just kept out of frame?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Space Fish posted:

Reposting in light of Nikki "they're not three inches, they're five" "ammunition heels" Haley. Ron wants to catch the kick on its way to Vivek.

I'm no fan of the GOP but she and Christie are the only coherent speakers on stage across all three debates so far. Did anyone catch the shot of Tim and Vivek chuckling on their end while Nikki was speaking? Looked like morons. Does that happen a lot in debates and it's just kept out of frame?

Everyone wants to be like daddy Trump without understanding what he actually does. Trump doesn't chuckle at someone, he interrupts to point out their wife is ugly and they suck. Toxic alphabroing is about asserting power through intimidation and bluster, not giggling in the back of the class while someone else is talking.

Which is why acting like a petulant child in a debate is abnormal. If you're not taking it with "proper" seriousness your other option is being an rear end in a top hat. Voters can respect and support assholery, dipshitery on the other hand is a tough sell.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.
The 36 Lessons of Vivek Ramaswamy

Sermon Twenty-Two

A Canadian emerged from a wall. It had three precious Timbits set in its lower jaw, a magical practice of old. One was chocolate, the color of chocolate. The Canadian bowed to the prince of the middle air and said:

"Take off, eh. You hoser."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

that's been a greatest hits conspiracy theory since 2016, mostly to rile up the racists

all the nominal candidates are going to drop out at the convention in favor of Barack Obama's black wife

yeah, Vivek is going for my chud qanon uncle types of chuds while desantis is trying to get the Professor bigot types who post on /pol/ or reddit about sexual lives of cartoon charaters and WOKE media.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
It's very funny to me that DeSantis and his team laser-focused so much on twitter fascists and /pol/ posters. Like did he honestly expect suburban grandmas to respond well to soyjak ownage comics? Like, plunk down the average rural redhat in front of that "whoopsie, that's a sonnenrad" video and they're gonna be offput as hell.

If I had to guess he was trying to lock terminally-online support and then pivot to a broader audience once he had a home-grown meme army like Trump had in 2016, but his utter failure to do so followed by a complete inability to appeal to people outside of his state is funny to me. Like with Christie and Ramaswamy, I know they're not actually running to win. But this was Ronnie's one shot and he clearly had actual intention to be president, and he's stepped on so many rakes along the way that it's looped back to being funny again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I suspect Ronnie is just a moron and reddit freaks were the most competent idiots he was able to hire.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

There's absolutely campaign advisors that have told him that he can groyp his way into the white house.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
DeSantis's plan involved the seas parting for him as Trump declines to run and instead endorses him for President. This did not occur. Instead, Trump is running and DeSantis can't attack him. Plan B involved Trump suddenly dropping dead and DeSantis inheriting his voting bloc, functionally identical to Plan A, because DeSantis has gone all in on running in 2024 and spent a lot of political capital in Florida to do so.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I suspect Ronnie is just a moron and reddit freaks were the most competent idiots he was able to hire.

Every article about his meme team screams that he doesn't know how to hire competent people, doesn't know how to lead, and just kind of expects people to miracle solutions for him. Which is working marvelously for him. Well, for marvelously for us who like watching him flail.

Morrow posted:

DeSantis's plan involved the seas parting for him as Trump declines to run and instead endorses him for President. This did not occur. Instead, Trump is running and DeSantis can't attack him. Plan B involved Trump suddenly dropping dead and DeSantis inheriting his voting bloc, functionally identical to Plan A, because DeSantis has gone all in on running in 2024 and spent a lot of political capital in Florida to do so.

And as a result his entire campaign strategy has been "prevent defense" in trying to not lose votes or fall out of second place, and every football coach will tell you exactly how effective "prevent defense" is.

Of course, DeSantis' plan also involved him being seen as competent and presidential and we've seen how well he achieved that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/11/09/tim-scott-girlfriend/

Did we know Tim Scott had a White girlfriend before? I thought he was worried about losing homophobes, but it looks like he was worried about losing racists.