Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Prism has support in the next as-yet-unreleased version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Prism has plans to integrate neoforge, but unknown when.
This is from 2 months ago
"Very soon! Support for NeoForged is already merged into the source code on GitHub with the feature being planned to be released with PrismLauncher v8.0."
Prism is on 7.2 atm.

e:fb

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Sounds like a small community of idiots with no understanding of what makes a game good.

It's very "early 2000s Slashdot posters." I expected somebody to talk about playing their creative commons Ogg Vorbis files in XBMC on some proprietary device their jailbroke while they play Minetest in Gentoo or whatever. I looked up if they had a Discord, and found a thread on their forums that asked that, got an immediate response about there being one from an admin, and then two pages of people making GBS threads on Discord over privacy. The point had been made within, like, three posts, but we all needed to know how much Richard Stallman hates Discord.

This isn't endemic to every open-source game out there. I contrast it with OpenTTD, which went through all the effort of ultimately producing a core game completely decoupled from the original, commercial assets, and has extended upon it.

I'm also of the opinion that these communities are self-selecting. Of course they'd think digging down 2km to get the equivalent of redstone is okay. Everybody that didn't think it was okay has left. Sure, you can mod it, but there's a point where you're getting into total conversion territory. Apparently a lot of servers do go that far! I could see having all that depth having some value if there was a ton of stuff happening underground a la Terraria, but you can't even get close to that with the mods currently available.

I had filed an issue with one of the mods that had a sandy-loam block that I couldn't break in any way. It had a grass-style block on top of it that was fine, but anything under it wouldn't go. Think dirt block vs grass block. I got a response today that I needed a stone pick to break it. I'm going to run that into the ground and see if they give a drat or if that's it. They didn't close it yet from what I could tell muahahaha. Then again, I've had some bizarre experiences with Minecraft mod githubs too so I don't think I'm proving anything there.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I need some help. My SkyFactory4 world now crashes shortly after being loaded. Here is the latter part of the console log, where the problem can most likely be found.

Paste 1
Paste 2

I suspect this is the issue:

code:
// Hi. I'm Minecraft, and I'm a crashaholic.
Time: 11/1/23 11:30 PM
Description: Ticking block entity
java.lang.NullPointerException: Ticking block entity
	at com.lothrazar.cyclicmagic.block.fluiddrain.TileEntityFluidDrain.func_73660_a(TileEntityFluidDrain.java:126)
	at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:1838)
	at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72939_s(WorldServer.java:613)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:767)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:668)
	at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.func_71217_p(IntegratedServer.java:185)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:526)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:750)
I'd be happy to get rid of the fluid drain but I'm not sure how. When I look it up the most common solution is a program called MCEdit, but when I try to use that it says my Minecraft installation is "unusable" because it has "no versions".

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ariong posted:

I'd be happy to get rid of the fluid drain but I'm not sure how. When I look it up the most common solution is a program called MCEdit, but when I try to use that it says my Minecraft installation is "unusable" because it has "no versions".

NBTexplorer is an oldschool but very powerful tool for dealing with this sort of thing.

It's a bit of a faff to figure out but for your case you'd want to:
Run nbtexplorer.exe - open .minecraft/saves/<worldname>/region/r.-1.0.mca
Go to the chunk located in world at (-1, 12). In this chunk you should find the key for the drain and delete it. Will likely be under Level/TileEntities.

code:
Block type: ID #2688 (tile.fluid_drain // com.lothrazar.cyclicmagic.block.fluiddrain.BlockFluidDrain // cyclicmagic:fluid_drain)
	Block data value: 0 / 0x0 / 0b0000
	Block location: World: (-1,66,12), Chunk: (at 15,4,12 in -1,0; contains blocks -16,0,0 to -1,255,15), Region: (-1,0; contains chunks -32,0 to -1,31, blocks -512,0,0 to -1,255,511)
This is the section you care about which has the location data and name.

Make a backup before messing with any files with NBT as it will straight up let you brick your worlds if you're not careful. It gives absolute control over everything.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 2, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rynoto posted:

NBTexplorer is an oldschool but very powerful tool for dealing with this sort of thing.

It's a bit of a faff to figure out but for your case you'd want to:
Run nbtexplorer.exe - open .minecraft/saves/<worldname>/region/r.-1.0.mca
Go to the chunk located in world at (-1, 12). In this chunk you should find the key for the drain and delete it. Will likely be under Level/TileEntities.

code:
Block type: ID #2688 (tile.fluid_drain // com.lothrazar.cyclicmagic.block.fluiddrain.BlockFluidDrain // cyclicmagic:fluid_drain)
	Block data value: 0 / 0x0 / 0b0000
	Block location: World: (-1,66,12), Chunk: (at 15,4,12 in -1,0; contains blocks -16,0,0 to -1,255,15), Region: (-1,0; contains chunks -32,0 to -1,31, blocks -512,0,0 to -1,255,511)
This is the section you care about which has the location data and name.

Make a backup before messing with any files with NBT as it will straight up let you brick your worlds if you're not careful. It gives absolute control over everything.

I'm not seeing it. It seems like there's nothing with the word drain anywhere in here, although it is very possible I am simply using the search tool wrong.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Ariong posted:

I'm not seeing it. It seems like there's nothing with the word drain anywhere in here, although it is very possible I am simply using the search tool wrong.

Wrong chunk, I think, you probably want the chunk at "[31,0] in world at (-1,0)" (it just coincidentally happens to also be in the -1,0 region file).

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That seems to have done the trick! I'll just have to find another way of harvesting water. Thank you!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Halibut Barn posted:

Wrong chunk, I think, you probably want the chunk at "[31,0] in world at (-1,0)" (it just coincidentally happens to also be in the -1,0 region file).

What I get for not checking.

Ariong posted:

That seems to have done the trick! I'll just have to find another way of harvesting water. Thank you!

Glad you got it working, though.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
edited: a dum

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 3, 2023

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
uhhh :justpost: mod drama so we don't have to go digging for it?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
no don't I love reading vague allusions to an event that might fracture the minecraft modding scene

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Guessing it was this.

https://twitter.com/noonyeyz/status/1720320643504263462
https://twitter.com/noonyeyz/status/1720323978110046222

quote:

Reminder that
@Overwolf owns both @CurseForge and @MCPEDL
. So Java and Bedrock players are contributing to this

Also from that same Twitter account
"Update on the Overwolf Scenario:

In the Overwolf seems to have shifted their efforts to assisting families affected by terror rather than supplying the IDF-which is much more commendable."

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 3, 2023

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah okay that was probably a dumb way to post that. Sorry!

The original page for donating to "buy an IDF guy a hat because they can't afford one apparently" still exists, but yeah they've removed the tweet.

This page is gone now too.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 5, 2023

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Black Pants posted:

Yeah okay that was probably a dumb post. Sorry!

The original page for donating to "buy an IDF guy a hat because they can't afford one apparently" still exists, but yeah they've removed the tweet.

I think it was fair to point out. I'm not tuned into that stuff and I'm glad to have seen it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
"Reminder that
. So Java and Bedrock players are contributing to this"

OgNar posted:

"Reminder that
. So Java and Bedrock players are contributing to this"

Curseforge the website? I must be living in a cave. When did overwolf take over curseforge? is that just piling poop on top of poop?

google search posted:

June 2020
In September 2012, Overwolf opened its Software Development Kit. In June 2020, Overwolf acquired CurseForge, for an undisclosed sum, from Twitch.

Overwolf - Wikipedia

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Overwolf
About featured snippets

Feedback
People also ask
Is CurseForge owned by Overwolf?
Overwolf Ltd., a company organized under the laws of the State of Israel ("Overwolf") is the owner of CurseForge (CF) and Eternal ("Eternal"), an innovative game modding platform allowing for the creation of third party game related content for the use and enjoyment of the gaming community (the "Platform").Mar 12, 2023

Wait what?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah it was a whole big thing, used to be that you could grab mods and manage instances directly from a curseforge only launcher but then they replaced it with Overwolf and welp

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
There's no reason to choose ATM8 over ATM9 for a brand new server right? I feel like I want the latest and greatest and the largest possible change from the last time I played (FTB Evolved)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean ATM9 is probably a bit less stable and will probably be getting updated more often, which could be annoying having to update or could be positive.

But, sure? There's gonna be mod differences so it's really up to you whether 8 has more of what you want or if 9 does. If you're ambivalent then sure just go 9, but both are going to be hella different from FTB Evolved in roughly the same way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If anyone is playing in a pack that has Ars Nouvaeu and want to use the whirlisprigs, I realized that their loot generation is based on nearby logs and leaves and not a proper tree thats been grown from a sapling. So you can do something like this

This is a 3x3 tree where I have different logs set up 1x3 all the way to the top, then covered in all kinds of leaves. If you also have that mod that adds fruit trees you can move the fruit blocks with a mekanism cardboard box. Oh and you can attach the Ars archwood tree fruits as well as coco beans to the proper logs. This single tree will generate close to 20 different types of logs and something like 25 fruits.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
drat. I try out Minetest for, like, a week, and y'all run off, hitting some bongs, making these wild-rear end trees.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So I'm trying to get enderman souls to make enderman seeds so I can have an easy, passive supply of ender pearls. I have a spawner that I turned into an enderman spawner and stuck it in a dark room. It is certainly activated, but nothing is spawning. The room is tall enough for them to spawn in.

e: Normally I would go to the end and just build a standard enderman farm there, but this server has a world border and the end gateways are outside of it. There is a warped nether biome accessible but half the mobs are babies and those don't count for getting souls. I spent like half an hour there and managed to get 6 of the 32 I needed.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 5, 2023

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
so i decided to take a trip down memory lane and replay blightfall and it turns out it actually had a pretty hefty update a few months ago!

a lot of it is just QoL/bugfix stuff but the interiors of the spaceship and the obsidian tower have gotten a huge makeover - I used to think you were stupid to do anything in the early-midgame but rush to get to the tower because it was a perfect base site, but the interior actually has a dungeon in it now that makes it fairly dangerous. not nearly as dangerous as the floating city, but still

apparently also the dawn machine is now less janky so victory is more attainable

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Dawn Machine actually got more than just a de-janking update, it now has the functionality to clear the entire map from one spot if you can feed it enough essentia.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Xerol posted:

So I'm trying to get enderman souls to make enderman seeds so I can have an easy, passive supply of ender pearls. I have a spawner that I turned into an enderman spawner and stuck it in a dark room. It is certainly activated, but nothing is spawning. The room is tall enough for them to spawn in.

e: Normally I would go to the end and just build a standard enderman farm there, but this server has a world border and the end gateways are outside of it. There is a warped nether biome accessible but half the mobs are babies and those don't count for getting souls. I spent like half an hour there and managed to get 6 of the 32 I needed.

Why are you playing on a server where the world border is so small you can't reach The End?!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Leal posted:

If anyone is playing in a pack that has Ars Nouvaeu and want to use the whirlisprigs, I realized that their loot generation is based on nearby logs and leaves and not a proper tree thats been grown from a sapling. So you can do something like this

This is a 3x3 tree where I have different logs set up 1x3 all the way to the top, then covered in all kinds of leaves. If you also have that mod that adds fruit trees you can move the fruit blocks with a mekanism cardboard box. Oh and you can attach the Ars archwood tree fruits as well as coco beans to the proper logs. This single tree will generate close to 20 different types of logs and something like 25 fruits.

I tried the one to farm amethyst nodes but they kept disappearing on me.
Are they supposed to just die off after awhile or did I just have bad luck?
I went through like 4 before I finally gave it up.
Or was it the one that just gathered, Starbuncle I think.

e: Yeah, the one that dropped the amethyst was fine, it was the gathering one I kept losing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OgNar posted:

I tried the one to farm amethyst nodes but they kept disappearing on me.
Are they supposed to just die off after awhile or did I just have bad luck?
I went through like 4 before I finally gave it up.
Or was it the one that just gathered, Starbuncle I think.

e: Yeah, the one that dropped the amethyst was fine, it was the gathering one I kept losing.

So far all my Ars creatures stay in world after summoning them, and as far as I can tell nothing hostile bothers to attack them. No idea.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
They can die from falling or hitting damaging things (lava, cactus, etc.) - is your starbuncle trying to cut a corner near some cactus?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The only thing near it was amethyst nodes.
In a fenced in area with the golem that mines the crystals once grown.
This was in a previous modpack, i'm going to assume there was something weird with that pack and give it another try then.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I kept banging away on Minetest and found some interesting things. I wonder if some of this is represented in Minecraft modding. Long-term, I'm not sure where I should post about this, and I don't even know how long I'd keep screwing around with Minetest anyways. So I'm shitposting here for now.

I'm working with this "Techage" modpack that is a collection of mods on top of the basic minetest game, which itself is a very basic Minecraft survival mode clone. The Techage pack has a series of technical ages using a lot of multiblock structures and machines. I do appreciate the attempt at trying to use multiblock structures, although I wish that the structures themselves had more kinds of customization. For example, all I see for burning charcoal are 3x3x3 interiors, where I think TerraFirmaCraft was much more flexible (?). It ends with a very basic blast furnace that I think would go through 8 stacks (99 items each) before running out of fuel at its largest size. I actually was impressed with that because those 8 stacks of ingots should take me clear through the next age.

The next age is a basic steam age. What I find most interesting about it is energy storage using a gravity battery. Excess energy can be used to lift up something heavy, and it is lowered when you need the energy back. I don't know of any Minecraft mod doing this. Create doesn't have it? I'm about to build all the stuff needed for it to take me into the next age, which involves working with oil. At that point, I'll see how Greg it is. There is a distillation tower, but I don't see chemical reactors--oh there it is in the age after the third age. Huh.

Caving is still pretty annoying, but I got another mod that lets players keep a small book of waypoints for fast travel, and that's good enough for dropping to specific points to resume digging. I've gone down to 1.8 kilometers. This was assisted by finding two different, gigantic cave networks that put the Cave and Cliffs update to shame for size, but I don't know about the utility of everything that was in there. There was a bit of random ambience with God-knows-what screaming in the distance here and there to make wild walking around in the spaces. The bottom of my dig took me to a chasm that I think goes down a full kilometer. It was really wild to see the first time. poo poo just went and went and went. Digging through lava blocks is a lot harder; lava will permeate cobblestone so you have to come up with other ways to punch a hole through some.

Edit: The two giant cave systems had distinct ecosystems from all I could tell and were also huge and moved around over hundreds of blocks up and down.

I found a mod that lets me drop torches, and that'll illuminate where they land. It's a great way to gauge how dead you're about to be with the hole you just punched into God-knows-what. Fortunately, water buckets and water source work just like Minecraft.

I still think it's annoying you have to go down over a kilometer to get to diamonds and the redstone equivalent. Having the bookmarks helps quite a bit, but the process of just digging down is still very tedious. I found that I got a mod somewhere that lets me add a ladder on to the bottom of an existing ladder if I add it to the bottommost ladder. This ladder can be built in open space. The problem is that the player can drift through the other side of the ladder while moving around and fall off... possibly a full kilometer to the bottom of the chasm. Hypothetically. I haven't found anything that would help me easily dig down. I found something that apparently could do it with a certain level of technology, and it's out of reach right now.

Something is loaded that causes me to be hurt when I stand on a block with a torch. I don't like that and I'm trying to hunt it down. I bet I can turn it off, but however thought that was a good idea needs a torch up their butt or something.

I don't see a good quest book mod. In-game books aren't really a thing as I think of them in contemporary Minecraft mods. Techage has a blueprint you can build out on a wall that serves as in-game documentation. It is able to show basic examples of how to build out things like the steam engine multiblock. It's a far cry from, say, a Create ponder. I managed to get an achievements mod. I don't know how well other mods interact with it. I think the modded farming stuff I am doing had a few things come up, but I think the rest was just from the base Minetest game.

Every drat flower around eventually get a bee that hovers over it forever. I haven't bothered figuring that one out.

At this point, if I had a server resource, I'd think about vomiting something in the private game server forum, but I don't think what I have can play it, and I don't know what all really is required to effectively run a server. I expect there to be hilarious security holes so large that teenagers can drive trucks through them, with a lot of that coming down to mod interactions or something.

Edit Edit: Also, I got much more iron digging down and just waltzing around the areas I was screwing around than those... multiple hundreds of thousands of blocks I had quarried in All The Fabric 7. What the hell? I apparently have turtles in this game too, but I haven't tried them.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 7, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

OgNar posted:

The only thing near it was amethyst nodes.
In a fenced in area with the golem that mines the crystals once grown.
This was in a previous modpack, i'm going to assume there was something weird with that pack and give it another try then.
The golem will also put the amethyst shards away in a container, actually. I've had the golems vanish mysteriously too, though, next time I set one of those farms up I'm gonna not put amethyst at ground level in case it's them getting like, crushed into a corner and dying when the crystals grow or something.

Also, unless the modpack creator did it manually, they won't put other things that drop when the grown crystals are broken into the container your told the golem to put things in. So you still want a starbuncle or some sort of wide ranged hopper thing if any other mods have added somethign to the drop tables for the crystals.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The next age is a basic steam age. What I find most interesting about it is energy storage using a gravity battery. Excess energy can be used to lift up something heavy, and it is lowered when you need the energy back. I don't know of any Minecraft mod doing this. Create doesn't have it?

gregtech new horizons has something like this, where water is pumped uphill when you have excess energy and flows through a turbine downhill when energy is needed

given that it involves placing large amounts of water in the world i understand it to be Buggy and i haven't tried it, but it's still cool

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Prism 8 was released, including support for NeoForged (not that anything supports NeoForged yet).

More interestingly, it can find the Java that gets installed by vanilla Minecraft, which is one less thing for newbies to deal with.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
big ups to everyone in the minecraft community for putting their heads together and learning what a recursive search is.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

Prism 8 was released, including support for NeoForged (not that anything supports NeoForged yet).

More interestingly, it can find the Java that gets installed by vanilla Minecraft, which is one less thing for newbies to deal with.

Actually, the latest Direwolf20 modpack uses Neoforged.
Took me a bit to figure it out, but you can see it listed at the start of his new series.

e: Of course you'd have to install it under 6.3 and then copy it into 8 to install neoforged. :D

e2: looks like that actually worked
Installed it under 6.3 which installs without a forge.
In 8 created a basic instance with nothing in it, copied files over.
Then relaunched 8 and installed Neoforge into that instance

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 8, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is Neoforged an improvement over Forge yet or just a mostly identical fork?
Do they actually have plans to cache any of the poo poo it assembles on every single boot so it doesn't take several minutes to start a midsize modpack?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Impermanent posted:

big ups to everyone in the minecraft community for putting their heads together and learning what a recursive search is.

I know that one

That's where you put an ME drive in a backpack in an ME drive in a backpack in an ME drive until you see the face of god

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

Is Neoforged an improvement over Forge yet or just a mostly identical fork?
Do they actually have plans to cache any of the poo poo it assembles on every single boot so it doesn't take several minutes to start a midsize modpack?

One of the reasons cited in the split was whats-his-nuts refusing to consider not doing that, and the Neoforged team really really wanted to.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Man the blink spell in ars rules when paired with a warp scroll. If its in your offhand it'll teleport your target to its location. So I can now send mobs to the top of my death tower. Gets rid of them and automatically collects their loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo here I am being a chump doing damage to enemies with freeze+cold snap when I could teleport them into a grinder.