Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
X posting from the Wh40k thread:

Shoehead posted:

I've been posting my progress with a Genestealer Cult over in the painting thread but I dunno where to put this so I figure here is a safe bet.

I built a Sanctus out of spare parts today. This is probably what's going to get me to buy greenstuff. There's a few gaps I should fill..

I finished this guy today, I ended up getting a way better head in the Hive Scum box so now he gets to have NVGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I found an old, unpainted eldar ranger and decided to spend an evening finally giving him some paint after two decades in a box

Wish I'd gone with a sand colour on the robe instead of green, though

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sort of a crosspost but I was looking back at one of my very first minis today

July 25, 2021:

November 8, 2023:

I feel like I've improved, but also feel like I haven't. I still feel like there's a mountain between me and other painters :negative:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Well, figure out what you could do better and then focus on that for your next one. That's how you improve

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

right now I think my focus is understanding glazing/blending better, every time i try it feels like a frustrating struggle of not understanding how to do any of it, and it takes so much time

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Glazing takes time and brush control. Yes

Edit: of the steps for the heavy metal style it's one of the most boring and tedious ones for the way they use it. There's better uses that are much simpler and less annoying

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 9, 2023

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

GreenBuckanneer posted:

November 8, 2023:

Holy moly, look at all those little details. My hands are already shaking even before I ruin this model.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GreenBuckanneer posted:

right now I think my focus is understanding glazing/blending better, every time i try it feels like a frustrating struggle of not understanding how to do any of it, and it takes so much time

If you want the smoothest blends, yes. But also look at classical paintings or any 2d art like comic books. You don't need to have ultra smooth blends, heck I sometimes find that more boring than interesting texture. What you want is visual contrast from the brightest to darkest and I can see that in the face of the second marine you've painted. The white portion can be good or bad depending on the effect you're going for, but it can definitely be used well if you're trying to make it look like a comic book drawing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think it looks great, the only things that really jump out at me are some parts where the highlights are too harsh on non-edge parts of the armour.

The jump between this highlight and the below is too stark for curved surfaces and looks more like lines painted on than raised areas. Just need those to be closer to the previous coat and it would look a lot better.

EDIT: another option would be to partially cover them with a shade that's a step down, leaving a small sliver of the lighter shade. This is also a way to get thin edge highlights

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 9, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ironically, this is me following the official guide, which doesn't really have you blending at all, otherwise I would probably have mixed Calgary blue with mccragge blue to do the highlights that way and then top it off with Calgary blue

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
At this point it may be detrimental to strictly follow guides like that and instead use the knowledge from them to do your own thing

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Marneus Calgary.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
he's not a separatist, he just thinks the dark imperium would be better off handling their own pensions

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The entire realm of Ultramar spent the last 10,000 years propping up his planet with transfer payments but now that half the realm has been eaten by Tyranids sending money back is a step too far

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I painted an Eldar ranger.

Edit:

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 9, 2023

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Great work! I love those colors.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Love it, where's the model from? I know it's not their new kit (unless you heavily converted it).

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

tangy yet delightful posted:

Love it, where's the model from? I know it's not their new kit (unless you heavily converted it).

It's an old 54mm mini for the Inquisitor game from early 2000s.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m trying to pick between, or blend both, of these Tau schemes:

What could I do to get that red brown color?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It says in the picture - Scorched Brown and Red Gore. Looks like it's a base of brown and drybrushed/highlighted red gore.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's an old 54mm mini for the Inquisitor game from early 2000s.

oooo nice I might have to keep an eye out for one and see if I can get one for a good price

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

chin up everything sucks posted:

It says in the picture - Scorched Brown and Red Gore. Looks like it's a base of brown and drybrushed/highlighted red gore.

Scorched Brown and Red Gore are both discontinued paints, and that dakkadakka chart everyone likes to point to is extremely wrong about what color replaced Scorched Brown (don't know about Red Gore for sure). I assumed they were asking for equivalents.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Watch the "how to match any color" video I posted a while back. That's how you match that color.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The scorched brown looks pretty close to Coat D'Arms Brick Red, but I reckon use any reddish brown and drybrush/highlight a mid-to-bright red and you'll get close enough to that scheme.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i have had good luck matching newer citadel paints but anything they don't sell today is a complete crapshoot

the only thing i haven't had any luck with is orruk green, partially because it's newer (from the AOS dominion release) and partially because it's loving impossible dark magic. how do you have a warm olive green, how is that even possible

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gal Vorbak Red looks like it would do the trick, followed by some Khorne, Wazdakka, and Squig?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I reckon you might be able to get that blue with Kantor Blue or Night Lords Blue over a black undercoat, with edge highlights towards Macragge Blue. The red, maybe a base of Doombull Brown or Rhinox Hide and highlighted towards whatever red you have lying around.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I reckon you might be able to get that blue with Kantor Blue or Night Lords Blue over a black undercoat, with edge highlights towards Macragge Blue. The red, maybe a base of Doombull Brown or Rhinox Hide and highlighted towards whatever red you have lying around.

Blue: Yeah, I planned on using Kantor and the other blues I have

Brown red: I found this guide that looks pretty spot on that uses both Rhinox and Doombull, so I think it should do the trick!

Edit: how do I keeping messing up urls?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 10, 2023

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Iphone adds a space in front of pasted urls for some reason, and that breaks the [url] tag.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ironically, this is me following the official guide, which doesn't really have you blending at all, otherwise I would probably have mixed Calgary blue with mccragge blue to do the highlights that way and then top it off with Calgary blue

GW's official painting guides seem to lean away from mentioning the concept of blending, which I have to assume is an attempt to sell more different shades of paint rather than giving their customers the idea that they can mix their own.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Professor Shark posted:

Blue: Yeah, I planned on using Kantor and the other blues I have

Brown red: I found this guide that looks pretty spot on that uses both Rhinox and Doombull, so I think it should do the trick!

Edit: how do I keeping messing up urls?

The scorched brown is literally just Hull Red from either Vallejo or AK. It's a versatile base coat and worth getting a bottle of

khazadum
Dec 1, 2006

I AM NOT A MERRY MAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Something that helped me immensely with glazing (which I still rarely do because effort) was discovering vallejos glaze medium. It took the guesswork out of getting the right consistency for me and made the process much easier. Its also pretty cheap for a big bottle.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I got bored of minis and I've been learning oil painting (like on a canvas not on minis) and it's wild how different the two things are. I felt it would be like a video game where if you level your axe skill high enough you get partial points in your sword skill or something. It's so different.

Oil painting: hold brush far away from you, leave brush strokes intentionally, thick textures and heavy paint intentionally, poo poo never dries, blending too much is considered amateur

Minis: so close I'm going cross-eyed, brush stroke look like trash, thin your paints, battle to keep paint wet but not too wet, blending is everything

I was wondering if anyone has gone the other way from traditional painting and was like "wtf is this". I imagine if I was also painting acrylic on canvas it would be a bit more transferable of a skill. I have so many artist friends that have said artists tend to change lanes all the time and rarely stick to one thing, just found it interesting that with WH that doesn't seem to be the case... I don't see many people in the hobby branch out to different kinds of painting and drawing. Modeling maybe? Maybe because it's painting for a purpose.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

despite painting thousands of miniatures, i actually hate painting. i do it for the love of tha game. i will never paint again once full colour 3d printing is cheap enough for the consumer

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

despite painting thousands of miniatures, i actually hate painting. i do it for the love of tha game. i will never paint again once full colour 3d printing is cheap enough for the consumer

You painted that nice eagle "just for display"!
It was very pretty.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sort of a crosspost but I was looking back at one of my very first minis today

July 25, 2021:

November 8, 2023:

I feel like I've improved, but also feel like I haven't. I still feel like there's a mountain between me and other painters :negative:

Stab in the dark but you might benefit from some new, nicer brushes. Getting a new brush with an actual tip is like night and day compared to battering away with ol’reliable that you’ve been beating up for years, especially for fine line highlights.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I got bored of minis and I've been learning oil painting (like on a canvas not on minis) and it's wild how different the two things are. I felt it would be like a video game where if you level your axe skill high enough you get partial points in your sword skill or something. It's so different.

Oil painting: hold brush far away from you, leave brush strokes intentionally, thick textures and heavy paint intentionally, poo poo never dries, blending too much is considered amateur

Minis: so close I'm going cross-eyed, brush stroke look like trash, thin your paints, battle to keep paint wet but not too wet, blending is everything

I was wondering if anyone has gone the other way from traditional painting and was like "wtf is this". I imagine if I was also painting acrylic on canvas it would be a bit more transferable of a skill. I have so many artist friends that have said artists tend to change lanes all the time and rarely stick to one thing, just found it interesting that with WH that doesn't seem to be the case... I don't see many people in the hobby branch out to different kinds of painting and drawing. Modeling maybe? Maybe because it's painting for a purpose.

I was doing watercolor landscape painting and figure drawing before picking up minis two years ago. The most valuable things traditional art brings to mini panting are color mixing (esp. water color, because you can't help but mix), color theory (applied), and a focus on value. It's what makes my amateurish minis seem much better than they actually are!

Having picked up oil paints for my minis, I'm planning on doing some oil painting as well, and exploring the Zorn pallet as a way to improve my all-around color mixing and theory skills.

Speaking of oil paints, here's a WIP of a fell beast proxy for MESBG done with them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 10, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

Stab in the dark but you might benefit from some new, nicer brushes. Getting a new brush with an actual tip is like night and day compared to battering away with ol’reliable that you’ve been beating up for years, especially for fine line highlights.

I used those wolf bristle brushes and sable brushes actually, almost exclusively for that model, the one from the Kickstarter?

https://chroniclecards.shop/products/wolf-bristle-brush-set-2

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Not gonna lie, I can't wait to be caught up to do digital or traditional painting instead lol

Edit: it's not that I don't like mini painting, but I am very interested in doing something that isn't coloring someone else's artwork

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 10, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

You painted that nice eagle "just for display"!
It was very pretty.

thanks. the inspiration strikes me every now and then. but ultimately most of what i paint is for games and those are mostly a chore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Lumpy posted:

Watch the "how to match any color" video I posted a while back. That's how you match that color.

Lumpy posted:

Everyone should watch this video, even if you don't want to mix everything, as it's instructive on how the process works at least, plus you can then match any color! Like anything, it takes practice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnYFoPYrxV8

There's also a hex color to paint matching thing: https://encycolorpedia.com So if you can get the color value on your computer by eye, you can plug it in there. I would also imagine there are many free phone / computer apps that can get a hex value from a photo so you can feed it into that.