Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Greg suddenly deciding Alex was too smooth and the bits that came off it were hilarious. Alex seemed genuinely flummoxed.

I really enjoyed how expressively Susan moved in the pie task. Her saying she danced at Rada made a lot of sense and it reminded me of how Katherine Parkinson threw herself into her singing task, clearly doing something she enjoys doing outside of Taskmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why won't they look for the secret task ;_;

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I doubt they'd keep alluding to it in the edit if no-one ever found it.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
brian blessed

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Maybe the secret task is the friends we made along the way.

You must have 5 new friends by the end of the series. Your time starts now.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
last episode reveal for secret task, i reckon

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
speculation: I suspect the secret task is something like 'don't admit you found the secret task'.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Rochallor posted:

I was thinking what you'd want to do in that moment, and my gut reaction was to flick all the switches in order for 10 seconds each. You don't know if the one marked lights is turning them on and turning them off, and you might not want to be in the dark if that's the case. At least with that method what's going to happen is predictable.

The switches weren't labeled. The labels were loose in the task.

In the moment I don't think there was any way to meta game what the second part could have been.
Correctly label the switches, most correctly labeled wins.
Match your switching from the previous room, most accurate wins.
Also there was no real way of knowing if the switches started on or off.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 3, 2023

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

My first thought was to flick a switch and run to the lab and see what happened so I could label them all, but having seen the task in its entirety that wouldn't have worked. So I guess the time wouldn't have started because I didn't understand the task :v:

Also I would have flipped the "don't" switch straight off, so...

nerox
May 20, 2001

Leraika posted:

speculation: I suspect the secret task is something like 'don't admit you found the secret task'.

This is my suspicion as well since I don't think they have shown someone being asked if they found it twice yet. Also Sam looked like he was lying when he responded to Alex this episode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I'm expecting it to be a thing just to have a montage of them all missing an incredibly obvious secret task repeatedly during every real task.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

eke out posted:

julian might be the single most powerful taskmaster competitor to date. i love him so much

this was a great episode imo

i don't think id even heard of the fella before taskmaster. his acid/bone-deep cutting :negative: burns seemed like they would have stuck with me if i caught him on any of the panel shows i watched regularly, but gently caress is he good. like, if you weren't really paying attention to how the thing he said was said, his ego-shattering barbs might go over your head. he's so catty - i love it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I love how little Greg seems to care about following any sort of set format or script this series - he genuinely seems to be saying whatever shite comes into his head and it's fantastic. He's having so much fun.

That said, Alex's skin did look smoother than usual.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If I was at the switch board, I'd guess that the Don't switch was either instant disqualification or the switch that you absolutely must flip in order to complete the task. And then I'd flip it and hope it would make things more fun.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I would not flip it because usually when Alex tells you not to do something you should believe him. Like that holding the milk task. Not sure if I can think of any times you should have disobeyed him.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

as a human given the task, id likely had not touched anything since i was told the switches would impact what happened in the second part of the task. as a fan of the show, id be hard pressed not to hit the big "DON'T" switch despite knowing it's likely not in my best interest mainly because alex doesn't want me to

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the instinct says "don't touch any of them" but there is the double bluff in the "lights" label since you don't know which switch it is, and whether the lights will start on or off. Honestly I think they could have correctly labelled the switches for them and we still would have gotten similar results since there would be so much second guessing about whether or not the thing the switch does will be something you will need for the next task. I mean what if it had been "make the best portrait of the taskmaster out of leaves". You're gonna want that leaves switch!

Also if anything I think labelling the "don't" switch with "danger" would only have increased the temptation.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

As a human I'm going to press every button I see because drat it, that's a button and I'm going to press you as the good inventor intended

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

That seemed a pretty obvious task. Not pushing anything is either going to be the right play or a funny disaster. It's extremely unlikely randomly pushing poo poo is going to be the best option.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That seemed a pretty obvious task. Not pushing anything is either going to be the right play or a funny disaster. It's extremely unlikely randomly pushing poo poo is going to be the best option.

You're thinking about it competitively. You're being competitive. On taskmaster.

Are you american

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

https://x.com/alexhorne/status/1720791803333324879?s=46&t=7Rx75FTpCIHNOOQA_W4LrQ

Superb.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Since it can be reasonably assumed that only the DON'T switch was physically connected to a thing, the dq light, I wonder if they could have labeled each switch and have it correspond to what the real world consequences would be, as opposed to whatever their default order was. I guess the danger label would complicate that, though.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

catching up on the series and in the roomba task in episode six susan says "the whole point of blindfold play is that..." then gets distracted by one of the robots bumping into her and i'm really curious as to where that sentence was gonna go

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
SSC is important to Chainbastard.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For the switches task, I feel like there had to have been a sub-task that they all missed that would have had them searching the room to find out which label goes with which switch.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oh jay posted:

For the switches task, I feel like there had to have been a sub-task that they all missed that would have had them searching the room to find out which label goes with which switch.

My guess is that those were just added as a red herring to make people think that they'd be labelling them, otherwise there's a possibility they wouldn't want to flip them.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Morpheus posted:

My guess is that those were just added as a red herring to make people think that they'd be labelling them, otherwise there's a possibility they wouldn't want to flip them.

Yeah, it's both a simple incentive to get them to flip some switches to see if they can figure out what they do, to properly assign the labels, and good television production because the words on the labels are pretty meaningless for the contestant (and the audience) at the time, but then when the actual thing from the label happens during the task, it becomes the punchline to what we didn't know was a joke setup.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
YT randomly showed me s5e1 so I've ended up rewarding the first half of the series. While I've seen clips of individual tasks, I think it's the first time I've rewatched full episodes chronologically since it aired.I'd forgotten how strong it was; the first episode was banger after banger, and there's hardly anything is suggest was a diff task. Even the prize tasks are being nailed.

Bob is Bob, Sally seems to be incredibly horny, Mark and Nish are just the perfect double act and I have a renewed crush on Ashling Bea.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We've been working our way through Kongen Befaler because prevailing opinion seemed to be that it was one of the better international Taskmasters and has unique tasks. We had watched a season of all of the different international versions initially and it didn't really stand out from the rest, but now we're on season 6 and drat, their budget must have gone way up. This is UK-level quality.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
Alright, this most recent episode confirms it. I am going to adopt all five contestants and raise them as my own.

They will all sleep in one big bed and I will not be taking any further questions.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I just rewatched the episode from TM NZ S3 with the Fortune Trail yesterday, and I do remember thinking that with a little refinement and some slightly more superstitious contestants it would be a great one to revisit. And it delivered exactly that - having one contestant find the lucky penny, take the longest, and get disqualified, what more could you ask? The bedtime task must have some kind of story behind it - Alex trying to fool his own children into thinking he's asleep and thinking "there's a task in this"? Sam dropping some Al Murray money to bribe a child is, well, quite a moment as well.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hope that girl got her 100 quid. Also, lmao at Sue's sneaky jacket upgrade.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I couldn't help but chuckle at r/taskmaster finally getting a secret task (they love to posit certain behaviours/actions are part of a secret task and they never are) that turns out to be a damp squib.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Paladinus posted:

I hope that girl got her 100 quid. Also, lmao at Sue's sneaky jacket upgrade.

Alex shared after the show that she got £100 in book tokens, which I think is satisfactory.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heavy_D posted:

Alex shared after the show that she got £100 in book tokens, which I think is satisfactory.

I know I'd be fine with that as a child, but a Google Play card would probably make more sense.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
lucy's coin tosses :lol:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That first one, her face as it flies off to the side, loving hell

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm beginning to suspect that Susan trained at RADA.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I do want £100...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The kid's reaction to Lucy's sleepwalking attempt was amazing.