Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

lovely lake.

made 100% of the plants and grasses with my L systems geonode group, plus i made a library of basic leaf shapes with parameterized leaf and grass materials which allow me to very quickly put together new plants. its very cool. i will post more about my new plant system tomorrow

^^^ thats real nice, very atmospheric.

fart simpson posted:

looks great op. how did you do the selective thickening of the voronoi lines to make the leaf veins? and the wood texture?
The thicker lines are just a slightly rotated 'Waves' texture that's blended with the voronoi lines, and the wood texture is dead simple too, just y-stretched Noise with a wrapping colour gradient and the same texture posterised/quantised as the bump map:

I don't use the 'constant' colour interpolation cos you need a bit of smoothness between levels for the bumps to show.

The poo poo thing was turning the leaf outline (a cylinder going into a bunch of float-curve modifiers) into some higher resolution geometry that I could use for the voronoi bumps and general leaf shape. Is there a good way to do this? Triangulate and subdivide both gave horrific meshes with really uneven distribution of vertices, and using Boolean Mesh to cut a leaf shape out from a grid yielded one of the worst things I've ever seen, as well as taking literal seconds to calculate. In the end I did a Geometry Proximity against a Grid and it worked perfectly and took milliseconds, it just needed a bit of magic to hide the 'pixellation' on the leaf boundaries.

I've made a start on Chaotic cooking. I've tried to build a Mandelbrot generator in geo nodes, Repeat zones made it easy peasy but I've got the formula wrong I guess? It's still a fractal tho so whatever

Noads:

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

lovely lake.

made 100% of the plants and grasses with my L systems geonode group, plus i made a library of basic leaf shapes with parameterized leaf and grass materials which allow me to very quickly put together new plants. its very cool. i will post more about my new plant system tomorrow

god drat

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

lovely lake.

dis is crazy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

toiletbrush posted:

^^^ thats real nice, very atmospheric.

The thicker lines are just a slightly rotated 'Waves' texture that's blended with the voronoi lines, and the wood texture is dead simple too, just y-stretched Noise with a wrapping colour gradient and the same texture posterised/quantised as the bump map:

I don't use the 'constant' colour interpolation cos you need a bit of smoothness between levels for the bumps to show.

The poo poo thing was turning the leaf outline (a cylinder going into a bunch of float-curve modifiers) into some higher resolution geometry that I could use for the voronoi bumps and general leaf shape. Is there a good way to do this? Triangulate and subdivide both gave horrific meshes with really uneven distribution of vertices, and using Boolean Mesh to cut a leaf shape out from a grid yielded one of the worst things I've ever seen, as well as taking literal seconds to calculate. In the end I did a Geometry Proximity against a Grid and it worked perfectly and took milliseconds, it just needed a bit of magic to hide the 'pixellation' on the leaf boundaries.

I've made a start on Chaotic cooking. I've tried to build a Mandelbrot generator in geo nodes, Repeat zones made it easy peasy but I've got the formula wrong I guess? It's still a fractal tho so whatever

Noads:

ah yeah the voronoi into waves thing makes sense and the wood looks great especially for how simple it is.

and the leaf outline thing... i was trying to solve the same problem and i did find a better way! you use loft curves.

im building up a little asset library with different base leaf shapes defined as sets of 3 curves. (left, center, and right lines). and then i plug it into my loft curves node group and it basically takes a grid of arbitrary size and maps it onto the curves, so by cranking up or down my u and v resolutions in the loft curves group, i can get arbitrary levels of mesh detail

the loft curves group isnt that complicated. basically just takes 2+ input curves, makes them into horizontal curves running up, then maps a grid onto them.

the flip indices node i got from erindale. just some basic math two swap the directions that your indices are running

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

by request on the erindale discord i put the l system stuff up here if you want to download it and use it, plus i wrote up basic docs:
https://deadfoxygrandpa.gumroad.com/l/qumwg

also here are the blend files for my arcade and lake ones if u wanna look at them
arcade: https://mega.nz/file/QNZ1WaRJ#wexPYgRK3aeGTjBjoA8TrgAbYLolA6WS86tkCzt7wm8
lake: https://mega.nz/file/JEx1ESgb#XULpiRhoO02Yen9Tde-U18-CLkp0B03ABxNjkmz3Pes

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 7, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

the loft curves group isnt that complicated. basically just takes 2+ input curves, makes them into horizontal curves running up, then maps a grid onto them.

see this is where i'm like...i'm having fun learning this stuff, but coming from grasshopper, it feels like there is a whole lot missing. and/or you have to build stuff from really basic first principles. they need a more robust toolset imo.

here's how you do a loft in grasshopper for comparison

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

see this is where i'm like...i'm having fun learning this stuff, but coming from grasshopper, it feels like there is a whole lot missing. and/or you have to build stuff from really basic first principles. they need a more robust toolset imo.

here's how you do a loft in grasshopper for comparison

blender has never had lofting, usually if that’s what you wanted to do you’d use different software. geometry nodes just let me implement it even though it’s not really an “intended” use for blender

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you should do one echi

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Yeh, this thread needs more content!

My romanesco cauliflower generator works but its more fun seeing what happens when you tweak the parameters

Lovecraft Romanesco

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

with a different material it would look like octopus

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

heres a still of the final frame of chaotic cooking. i found 3 different strange attractors and did point clouds for each and colored them. its gonna take 6 hours to animate lol but this is the final frame

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Yeh, this thread needs more content!

My romanesco cauliflower generator works but its more fun seeing what happens when you tweak the parameters

Lovecraft Romanesco

lets see some parameter changes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I tried to do something for Lovely Lake, but it wasn't working out and I couldn't get anything I was happy with in time. So instead have this coronavirus I made while waiting for students to show up for office hours

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Thats cool!

unlike this poo poo:

My Sierpinski triangle of pizza slices hasn't worked out at all, and it's the 4th or 5th thing I've tied, so I'm gonna save my energy for the next prompt.

Fart that's cool, alas I deleted the blend file with the octopus cabbage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

they need a more robust toolset imo.

money making opportunity

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

I tried to do something for Lovely Lake, but it wasn't working out and I couldn't get anything I was happy with in time. So instead have this coronavirus I made while waiting for students to show up for office hours

you mean thats "festive fair"

also yeah time is the killer. you can spend literally forever changing and making things but at some point you just gotta stop

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

unlike this poo poo:

My Sierpinski triangle of pizza slices hasn't worked out at all, and it's the 4th or 5th thing I've tied, so I'm gonna save my energy for the next prompt.

its good enough, the concept is neat. ship it.

toiletbrush posted:

:( i liked that one

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsqIQunzfnE

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nodes are simpler today. most of my time was spent squinting at strange attractors trying to find some that looked like food or "cooking". setting them up with the new simulation zone is super easy, and then i translated and scaled them to fit the scene and applied simple materials to color them in

actual attractor code

aizawa attractor (the apple)

hadley attractor (the chaos donut)

genesio tesi attractor (the plate theyre sitting on)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

toiletbrush posted:

Thats cool!

unlike this poo poo:

this looks like a solid wallpaper to me

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fuckin awesome dude

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

this is gorgeous god drat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sweet as heck. you used your film post process too huh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

sweet as heck. you used your film post process too huh

not on this one, i just used fog glow and dispersion

but i used the film post process on some (all?) of the others itt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its good

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

If you want to bake a donut from scratch, you must first... create the universe.
I really wish I wasn't so god damned busy so I could make some cool poo poo.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Owns!

I had some free time today so revisited my chaos pizza. Looks much better now - I wanted it to be tiled onto an icosphere but couldn't figure out the maths, but a table covered in flour will do.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

toiletbrush posted:

Owns!

I had some free time today so revisited my chaos pizza. Looks much better now - I wanted it to be tiled onto an icosphere but couldn't figure out the maths, but a table covered in flour will do.

The pizza planet is invading!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

toiletbrush posted:

Owns!

yeah, that's some good poo poo right there.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Owns!

when pizzas in a fractal, you can have pizza any time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🤯

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

workin on a maze generator that generates real mazes w/ a random seed

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

using something called kruskals algorithm

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i like this one

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chaos pizza infinity

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

heres how the algorithm works

https://i.imgur.com/g2fvaEF.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i found a way to prune the candidate edges to optimize the algorithm

https://i.imgur.com/PrXfEay.mp4

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
yeah that's cool, repeat zones make this sort of iterative stuff so much easier.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

yeah that's cool, repeat zones make this sort of iterative stuff so much easier.

yah with the addition of repeat zone i think you can massage geometry nodes into basically any algorithm at all. data structures and transferring data between different objects is the tricky bit but you can pull out some tricks to do basically anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just built a little string parser "library" in geometry nodes for my l systems. lol.