Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pass the token back and forth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

SlowBloke posted:

Adversary in the middle.

I can't take people who try to use "adversary" in a security context seriously. It just makes me think of the IT guy at work who seems still mad that developers get sudo access, spends a ton of his time arbitrarily blocking specific commands from passing through sudo, while telling everyone who's trying to do work that it's to "protect from the adversary". Also that going around his nonsense because you actually need docker/k8s to do your job so yes you're going to do a little sudo bash as a treat (and developers are supposed to have sudo access in the first place! we have a process for getting it!) that it is a "resume producing event".

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

tracecomplete posted:

I can't take people who try to use "adversary" in a security context seriously. It just makes me think of the IT guy at work who seems still mad that developers get sudo access, spends a ton of his time arbitrarily blocking specific commands from passing through sudo, while telling everyone who's trying to do work that it's to "protect from the adversary". Also that going around his nonsense because you actually need docker/k8s to do your job so yes you're going to do a little sudo bash as a treat (and developers are supposed to have sudo access in the first place! we have a process for getting it!) that it is a "resume producing event".

they should stop being so adversarial

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

2 APTs, 1 Org

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sometimes ___ in the middle refers to specifically doing the decrypting, altering, etc thing. sometimes it refers to the position of a third party wrt communication channels, whether or not they're doing specific attacks (or are trying to do something other than the classic). whether the acronym is "adversary," "attacker," "man," or "meddler" has no bearing on what is being discussed. context, however, does have such a bearing.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I like “interception” for this.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

"Come on maaaan, why you gotta do this to me?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Evis posted:

I like “interception” for this.

Threat Actor or Adversary is the usual term, as 'military' as it sounds.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Threat actor and adversary just sound like threat modeling terms to me, and don’t indicate someone is intercepting traffic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

agreed

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Evis posted:

Threat actor and adversary just sound like threat modeling terms to me, and don’t indicate someone is intercepting traffic.

this is true but i'm pretty sure no one suggested otherwise

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Damnit i forgot to quote the post i was replying to. Sorry, all.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Whoever is in the middle is still an rear end for making us drink more.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Idk what you people are on about but MitM obviously refers to the Michael Jackson song Man in the Mirror. :colbert:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I prefer e-privateer, personally.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think ive heard "some rear end in a top hat" more often than adversary or whatever, as a reference to someone trying to do annoying stuff to our network. So we should go with that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

Idk what you people are on about but MitM obviously refers to the Michael Jackson song Man in the Mirror. :colbert:

We shall now refer to any attacker as a 'Smooth Criminal'

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

spankmeister posted:

Why aren't we simply asking him to change his ways?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Giving researchers who engage in responsible disclosure the white glove treatment

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am enjoying the short term situation we are living in. Leaders are fearing having their names attached to security problems that might be communicated to investors. Suddenly there is money for anything that is needed.

Also apparently Microsoft has turned off the ability of free email accounts to report phishing? Is that really the case?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Why would phishing email accounts need to report phishing anyways? /s

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

One of our clients today requested we not use the term "Hacktivist" during meetings because it could "stress out our person in charge of security".

Most definitely not because the person who requested it is an old boomer, who's sweating bullets because their entire place of work is in regional news for upholding policy that could be labeled as "anti-woke", and digging heels in.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jiro posted:

One of our clients today requested we not use the term "Hacktivist" during meetings because it could "stress out our person in charge of security".

Most definitely not because the person who requested it is an old boomer, who's sweating bullets because their entire place of work is in regional news for upholding policy that could be labeled as "anti-woke", and digging heels in.
well your client doesn't have a security team if that's their person in charge

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know the answer is "the stupidest of the stupid" but I'm looking through this spam message that I got from someone who obviously just trolled IANA's public registry and I'm like.. I don't get it -- this zero effort email that isn't even pretending to be legitimate which presumably costs a non-zero amount of dollars to spam out: What are the economics of this scam? Like maybe this is a failure of imagination on my part because I can't even begin to pretend to dream up someone gullible enough to engage with these kinds of emails.

But then again this is sitting in a folder next to eight messages from various desperate ladies who want to "have a good time" peppered with emoji so I guess the ACTUAL answer is that I have no idea how the world of spam works.

quote:

Dear iana@xx.com,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is John, and I am
reaching out to inquire about your [product/service]. After
researching various options in the market, your company caught my
attention.

I am particularly interested in your products:

Additionally, I would like to know more about :
- Pricing structure and any available discounts for bulk orders.
- Minimum order quantities and terms.
- Shipping options, delivery times, and associated costs.
- Payment terms and methods accepted.

Could you please provide me with a detailed quote for [quantity]
units of [product/service]? Any additional information regarding
customization options, warranty, or after-sales support would be
greatly appreciated.

Furthermore, if you have a product catalog or brochure, please
attach it to your response for my reference.

I am looking to make a purchasing decision by the end of the
week. Your prompt attention to this inquiry is highly valued.

Thank you for your time and assistance. I am eager to explore the
possibility of establishing a mutually beneficial business
relationship.

Best regards,

John Reely
Purchasing Officer
alshafarmarbles llc
john@alshafarmarbles.com

Sorry I guess this is only marginally infosec related, but it's been living in my head rent free for like two days now and the only way to evict it is to fess up about how absolutely confused I am.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sending email spam costs you essentially nothing - what costs you is engaging with anyone that takes the bait.

As a result, you want to only send mails that catch the dumbest, most gullible morons that will happily send you thousands of dollars of "import fees" when you ask for them. You don't actually want to trick anyone slightly smarter who will take up a lot of your time and then back out before giving you your payday.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Deep down I think I know this, but my mind reels against the notion that someone reads the above and thinks "wow! here's ol' gil's chance to shine!"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

I know the answer is "the stupidest of the stupid" but I'm looking through this spam message that I got from someone who obviously just trolled IANA's public registry and I'm like.. I don't get it -- this zero effort email that isn't even pretending to be legitimate which presumably costs a non-zero amount of dollars to spam out: What are the economics of this scam? Like maybe this is a failure of imagination on my part because I can't even begin to pretend to dream up someone gullible enough to engage with these kinds of emails.

But then again this is sitting in a folder next to eight messages from various desperate ladies who want to "have a good time" peppered with emoji so I guess the ACTUAL answer is that I have no idea how the world of spam works.

Sorry I guess this is only marginally infosec related, but it's been living in my head rent free for like two days now and the only way to evict it is to fess up about how absolutely confused I am.

If that hit one of the sales guys in my company, he would probably respond, just because it's a contact (well, maybe if we sold actual physical stuff), and from there you can apply actual skilled manipulation to a guy who's likely to fall for it. I'm assuming the cost is fairly low, enough that hitting even 3 targets successfully is enough to offset the investment. That's 3 in millions, so it's possible.

Also the company that doesn't want anyone to say hacktivist sounds like they don't want to hear about the most relevant threat to them because they don't agree with them. Imagine if the USA ignored all intelligence about the USSR because they were communists. That's basically the scenario.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Took the thread's advice and (finally) moved everyone in the company off LastPass. Annoying to have renewed just before all their incompetence came out last year (well, that round of it anyway). But it's given us a really long time to plan the replacement and now we never have to deal with them again.

Which is not the high-tech security some of y'all deal with, but it's a start.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

doing the lord's work

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Major Ryan posted:

Which is not the high-tech security some of y'all deal with, but it's a start.

Does anyone in here actually work something "high tech" I think everyone here is pretty much corporate infosec.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
I mean, infosec is probably a bit rich for what I do - I'm just a sys admin with some security responsibility. The idea of a dedicated role or team is way beyond us. (Which is fine, small company, but it's interesting to see all the chat here about how it goes with more people, more resource and so on).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Major Ryan posted:

I mean, infosec is probably a bit rich for what I do - I'm just a sys admin with some security responsibility. x

Don't sell yourself short. That's what we all are at some level.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Major Ryan posted:

I mean, infosec is probably a bit rich for what I do - I'm just a sys admin with some security responsibility. The idea of a dedicated role or team is way beyond us. (Which is fine, small company, but it's interesting to see all the chat here about how it goes with more people, more resource and so on).

Dedicated roles are great. Silo'ing is great. Don't overestimate the value of your work having scope. Never think you aren't good enough to do anything because the reality worse than you do it and get paid a lot of money to do it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I work at a company selling ISMS software to various levels of companies in mostly Denmark, so I've seen some breadth of what people are doing for security around the country. There's a few places with high tech stuff, but then they still have incredibly basic problems to deal with as a well. Especially on the governance side, but all around really.

The advanced, up to speed guys also mostly work by having a shitton of manual tasks and controls that some dudes have to do and some other dudes have to verify. What makes them advanced and good is that they know about the tasks and actually set aside resources to do them. Also, most importantly because that's what I'm selling, they have an IT system to keep track of the tasks and controls and stuff and send out emails to the various guys.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Remembering the time our boss had us implement rapid7 ($$$$$$$) then we didn't have enough resources to act on anything. Big tick from the board though.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Bald Stalin posted:

Remembering the time our boss had us implement rapid7 ($$$$$$$) then we didn't have enough resources to act on anything. Big tick from the board though.

i feel like this is basically everything i do.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Yeah, that certainly strikes a note.

Are there any good RSS feeds for emergent vulnerabilities? I made the mistake of asking our SOC folks about some of the stuff mentioned in this thread over the last few weeks and now they think I'm in the "know". Might as well ask around for them.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo I get most of my stuff from this thread

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Yeah, that certainly strikes a note.

Are there any good RSS feeds for emergent vulnerabilities? I made the mistake of asking our SOC folks about some of the stuff mentioned in this thread over the last few weeks and now they think I'm in the "know". Might as well ask around for them.

Not RSS but:
https://www.rapid7.com/blog/series/emergent-threats/emergent-threats/

You can have them emailed to you:
https://information.rapid7.com/communication-preferences.html

CISA KEV also useful for keeping up with actively exploited vulnerabilities (that have fixes!):
https://www.cisa.gov/about/contact-us/subscribe-updates-cisa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jiro posted:

I thought the Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund had better cyber investment than this